Random Politics & Religion #00

Eorzea Time

言語: JP EN FR DE
日本語版のFFXIVPRO利用したい場合は、上記の"JP"を設定して、又はjp.ffxivpro.comを直接に利用してもいいです
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 1072 1073 1074 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Shiva.Nikolce
サーバ: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-11-12 10:31:03  
Drama Torama said: »
You don't actually know my politics,

You're part of the system!!!

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
VIP
By Jassik 2015-11-12 10:33:36  
Ramyrez said: »
Edit: To be fair to you, though, I will say that a degree of narcissism and lack of empathy -- in fact, being a borderline sociopath -- is almost requisite of being a successful corporate executive in this country because you generally can't succeed in the long run without throwing some folks under the bus.

I think that trope is a bit of a fallacy. A very widely accepted one, but still false. You absolutely can succeed short term and I would argue a degree of empathy is required for long term success. The step over everyone philosophy present in the current business model is really just a result of consumer pressure and lack of ethics. There's plenty of business models that benefit everyone, they just aren't as sexy for short-sighted investors.
Administrator
サーバ: Hyperion
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Drama Torama 2015-11-12 10:37:01  
Shiva.Nikolce said: »
You're part of the system!!!

I am the system
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-11-12 10:39:51  
Jassik said: »
Asura.Kingnobody said: »
You have no experience in business, how can you determine what is true and what is not?

Out of everyone here on this forum, who other than I have had any executive business experience? Who here other than I have seen how business practices work, period?

Your viewpoints are based by your limited knowledge by people who looks from the outside and still do not understand how business works (aka the media). So, who's opinion is qualified again?

Uh... There's plenty of people on this forum with business experience and you are a pretty poor metric for executive experience seeing as you've been an "executive" for like 2 months at an accounting firm. Chanti is in her 60's and you have literally NO idea what her experience is.
Wasn't at an accounting firm (I left the firm TO go work as a CFO), was at a manufacturing company who built specialized car parts for automakers. And, prior to my accident, it was 5 months, which, yes, is a very short period of time, but still more than anyone else here. Which I would still be doing if it wasn't for that accident.

And, given Chanti's topics and posting traits, I highly doubt she even held a low-level management position, much less an executive position.

So, what is your point again? Besides affirming my opinion on the matter?
Administrator
サーバ: Hyperion
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Drama Torama 2015-11-12 10:41:37  
but still more than anyone else here

You really, really, don't know that.
[+]
VIP
By Jassik 2015-11-12 10:43:37  
Wasn't at an accounting firm (I left the firm TO go work as a CFO), was at a manufacturing company who built specialized car parts for automakers. And, prior to my accident, it was 5 months, which, yes, is a very short period of time, but still more than anyone else here. Which I would still be doing if it wasn't for that accident.

And, given Chanti's topics and posting traits, I highly doubt she even held a low-level management position, much less an executive position.

So, what is your point again? Besides affirming my opinion on the matter?

Once again, and I cannot believe I'm having to explain it again, you have no idea what other people's experience and expertise is. For all you know, Chanti is an executive at GE.

The point is, and it's absolute fact, that a successful and experienced business executive could hold ideas very different than the ones you do.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-11-12 10:49:04  
Drama Torama said: »
but still more than anyone else here

You really, really, don't know that.

well if he believes it hard enough maybe it will come true...

five months is a long time

what kind of accident stops you from being a CFO? they don;t traditionally do a lot of heavy lifting...
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-11-12 10:50:53  
Chanti is an executive at GE.

geriatric erotomania inc
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-11-12 10:52:12  
Before I saw Niko's edit was gonna say saxcasm is an interesting concept.

*plays sax sarcastically*
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-11-12 10:52:59  
Chanti is an executive at GE.

geriatric eroautomania inc
By Jetackuu 2015-11-12 10:54:40  
Valefor.Sehachan said: »

I would find saxgasm to be a more interesting one, mostly because of Bill Clinton.

[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
サーバ: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2015-11-12 10:57:34  
Let's see, poo-pooing work experiences of moderates and liberals and screaming "Damn kids! Get off my lawn!" in a thread where most participants are within the same age-range with the exception of a few?

[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-11-12 12:24:39  
Edit: To be fair to you, though, I will say that a degree of narcissism and lack of empathy -- in fact, being a borderline sociopath -- is almost requisite of being a successful corporate executive in this country because you generally can't succeed in the long run without throwing some folks under the bus.

I think that trope is a bit of a fallacy. A very widely accepted one, but still false. You absolutely can succeed short term and I would argue a degree of empathy is required for long term success. The step over everyone philosophy present in the current business model is really just a result of consumer pressure and lack of ethics. There's plenty of business models that benefit everyone, they just aren't as sexy for short-sighted investors.

Hence my use of the term "almost" requisite.

It's not necessary, but the positions certainly draw those kinds of people and lend themselves to those traits quite well, which is why we find ourselves in our current, unsustainable position.

It's like a big game of Monopoly. Everyone started out on even ground a long time ago but due to some shrewd planning, some lucky rolls of the dice, probably a little cheating -- and a few get out of jail free cards -- the distribution of things is leaning decidedly one way at this point and eventually it's going to be game over because the people with nothing to lose aren't going to want to play anymore.

Sadly, unlike the board game, a table flip and a few harsh words aren't going to be the worst that happens.
 Bahamut.Milamber
サーバ: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-11-12 12:47:04  
what kind of accident stops you from being a CFO?
The kind involving spontaneous numerical dyslexia?
The kind involving filing with the IRA instead of the IRS?
The kind involving the CEO, a bottle of whiskey, and 50 Shades of Grey?
I'm sure that there is probably no end of potential accidents.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-11-12 12:53:41  
Bahamut.Milamber said: »
I'm sure that there is probably no end of potential accidents.

so...kingnobody might become darkman?

[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-11-12 13:44:55  
Did you guys not send your CV to KN too? I thought that was required to post here.

I linked to the Blue Mage section on FFXIAH. He responded with "You didn't build that."
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-11-12 13:56:59  
Tipping at the end of the day forces consumers to pay what the proprietor of the business should be paying: a fair wage. What's forgotten is tip is SUPPOSED to be a bonus for exceptional service. Pouring my water once and checking in to make sure I'm not drooling off the side of the table is not service.

Having to depend on consumer 'generosity' (read: an agreed upon shakedown) not only makes eating at a restaurant needlessly tedious for the consumer but translates to little if any improvement in quality of service. Bad servers are tipped just like good ones and depending on where you work and pooled tips destroy the whole 'work hard' for your money aspect. What really grinds my gears are when you're being forced out the door or having a dessert menu shoved in your face. About as subtle as getting a *** from a wolverine.

(Yes, I know you want me to gtfo. Can i at least finish my conversation? Or let my food settle? No? Ok ok ok.)

Worse still is the attitude where servers feel like if you don't tip upwards of 30% on orders that you're somehow slighting the business or the workers. 30 *** percent! A bartender you are not.
[+]
 Phoenix.Amandarius
サーバ: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2015-11-12 14:39:49  
Chris Matthews: Unsure If Rubio, Cruz Are "Hispanic

White Democrats wanna take their country back! Never again amirite?
[+]
VIP
By Jassik 2015-11-12 14:39:54  
See, that's the thing. I'm a pretty generous person. I've been lucky in life and I don't have any qualms about giving back. What drives me nuts about the current model is that if a server is living up to even minimal standards, I feel obligated to tip 15%. A server has to really screw up to not get a tip out of me.

We had a holiday dinner a few years back at a very nice restaurant and the server flat out forgot my dinner. Even though they rushed one out to me when we asked and they took it off the bill, we still tipped on the bill assuming we had paid for it because there were 2 servers and we didn't want to stiff the other guy.

If anything, the guilt associated with knowing that servers rely on tips to make up for a pathetic wage is encouraging poor performance.
[+]

Undelete | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-11-12 15:20:51  
Phoenix.Amandarius said: »

I'm not even sure Cruz is human.

Rubio's whatever. If he'd get with the 21st century on social issues I could almost stomach him.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-11-12 15:24:20  
Rubio's another imperialistic neocon chomping at the bit to involve himself in some other trillion dollar adventure overseas.

He may be more palatable than the circus acts running for POTUS but I make no mistake that he's anything but more of the same.
 Bahamut.Omael
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Omael
By Bahamut.Omael 2015-11-12 15:50:09  

I'm not even sure Cruz is human.

Rubio's whatever. If he'd get with the 21st century on social issues I could almost stomach him.

I'm pretty sure Cruz is human, I'm just not sure it's Ted Cruz under that Ted Cruz mask. I'd like to hear more from Rubio, though. I'm not on board with any candidate right now, and probably won't be until Cthulhu rises from the depths once again. Cthulhu/Nyarlathotep 2020!
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
サーバ: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2015-11-12 16:10:23  
May as well have fun with this now...

What if it's Penelope Cruz? OR! Better yet, Tom Cruise? Pretty sneaky, Tom! The old "snatch up the evangelical-right to usher in one nation under Scientology" dipsy-doodle ain't cuttin' it.

We're on to you now!
[+]
 Phoenix.Xantavia
サーバ: Phoenix
user: xantavia
By Phoenix.Xantavia 2015-11-12 17:30:35  

"Waaah, I can't survive on minimum wage because I'm too lazy to learn a trade or to go to college, I demand that minimum wage is raised to $15 an hour, even though by doing so, there will be more incentive to automize said jobs and lower the employment rate even further. But because I have 7 children from different fathers, I demand more money because I cannot take care of the choices I made in life!"

You find these sob stories everywhere online now.
And how do you feel about the "sob stories" from the people who can't survive on minimum, but without all the other stuff. What is the best way to pay for college when you are lucky to make your rent every month?
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-11-12 20:35:16  

"White Hispanic" bro. Like George Zimmerman. That what they call people who they wish were white but are really minorities.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-11-12 20:37:00  
Jetackuu said: »

I would find saxgasm to be a more interesting one, mostly because of Bill Clinton.

C'mon bro "epic sax guy" > all

Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-11-12 20:43:11  
Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
If your job can be done by a high school drop out and pays less than half of minimum wage, it's not a career, it's just better than starving.

Does it absolutely kill you that there are high school drop outs out there that make better livings than you do?

1. You have no clue what kind of living I make
2. I'm sure there are some out there
3. No, it doesn't bother me at all.

Do you have any point to make or are you just resorting to jibes now?

Not a jab, genuinely curious. I'm trying to understand what is the big problem you have with someone willingly taking a job as a server under those conditions of "bust your *** and you might be able to make some decent money." Why does a certain section of the populations seek to outlaw that kind of agreement? Is it because it doesn't always work out that way? That is a risk both parties are willing to take.

It's not a dead end job by it's nature, you meet many people, some jerks and some not. You might actually meet people whom you can network with later on. I mean I viewed it that way, it lead to other jobs in college.

I eat lunch at the local UNOs often (even though UNO's is absolutely dreadful) the turnover rate for their serving staff is astronomical. The manager knows me as an acquaintance and every time I ask about it she tells me that the people she hires are unreliable and pretty much eventually don't want to come in and bust their *** to make their pay, they'd rather sit on their butts and be lazy. She in turn doesn't offer them the better shifts (why would she) and they complain about how much money they don't make.

Why is she obligated to put poorer performing servers in the prime time slots for the restaurant? Why should she not be allowed to decide how to best serve her customers?

jibe!=jab

I don't believe a single person said anything about making it illegal.

Dead end means there is no opportunity for advancement. In any given restaurant, there might be 15 servers, and 1-2 managers. Making the jump from server to manager is generally a pay cut or at least not a raise, and the chance of moving from there to any kind of regional position with server credentials is basically nil. That's what dead end means.

I don't know anything about the restaurant you're talking about, but here's the rub... If you take a job knowing what it is then decide to complain and not show up, that's on you. That doesn't excuse an industry for strong-arming people with few options. And there is nothing wrong with restaurants moving to a more standard pay model, in fact, some have always been a no-tip model and very successful.

Tips should be a reward for good service, not a mandatory extra cost levied against the patrons so the restaurant doesn't have to compensate employees for their time.

Everyone's talking about getting rid of it. I doubt outlawing it has never crossed anyone's mind, but if I am indeed mistaken then "oops my bad".

It boils down to what you think "proper" compensation is for their job. If you take tipping out of the equation, you're just largely dictating that everyone gets paid the same no matter how they perform. I doubt there are many servers that don't make the federal "minimum wage" for the time they are there when you tack on tips to the wage given. Alternatively if you want servers to be better compensated then go out and tip them more.

I don't think many people truly agree with eliminating tipping, they just disagree with tips being expected because they are the primary form of compensation. Tipping should be an optional reward for great service, not a guilt laid upon the consumer to protect the bottom line of a restaurant.

Pay the servers at least minimum wage, let tips reflect the quality of their work and not the quality of their employer.

Add a few dollars to the cost of a meal, it's not going to change the overall cost of eating out but it will guarantee the employees compensation for their time force the restaurant to efficiently use their staff.

Would you be willing to pay 50 bucks more for your meal if you're the only table one server has in their 8 hour shift? Why not?
VIP
By Jassik 2015-11-12 20:45:25  
Would you be willing to pay 50 bucks more for your meal if you're the only table one server has in their 8 hour shift? Why not?

That's the most ridiculous counterpoint. If a restaurant brings an employee in for an 8 hour shift and has them wait one table, it SHOULD cost the restaurant a pile of money for their incompetence.

By the way, 50 bucks for an 8 hour shift is still 3-4 times what the servers make right now. How pathetic is that?
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-11-12 20:50:01  

That's the most ridiculous counterpoint. If a restaurant brings an employee in for an 8 hour shift and has them wait one table, it SHOULD cost the restaurant a pile of money for their incompetence.

By the way, 50 bucks for an 8 hour shift is still 3-4 times what the servers make right now. How pathetic is that?

I'm not surprised in the least that you elected to not answer the question.
First Page 2 3 ... 1072 1073 1074 ... 1375 1376 1377