Random Politics & Religion #00

Eorzea Time

言語: JP EN FR DE
日本語版のFFXIVPRO利用したい場合は、上記の"JP"を設定して、又はjp.ffxivpro.comを直接に利用してもいいです
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 521 522 523 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Seraph.Ramyrez
サーバ: Seraph
Game: FFXI
user: Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-30 13:20:10  
Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Seraph.Ramyrez said: »
I used to be a big fan of the word "thug" to describe people in criminal/gang culture, be they white or black, since where I live there are many people of both colors that fit into that same idiotic culture. I've since stopped using the word because so many seem to now be using it in place of a more traditional black epithet...

This is how it works, don't you understand?

Radicals seek to redefine words so that you cannot speak them lest be labeled a racist. If it wasn't thug (which has no founding racial component) it would be the next thing, until you're so afraid to be labeled offensive that you don't say anything at all.

Sorry, Nausi. I sussed this one all on my own via interaction with other live human beings who I know to be racist and they started using "thug" every time they meant "someone black I don't like". But you're so busy trying to blame all of our societal problems on either "spin" or "dirty liberals" that you look right past the actual problems.

Edit: Also, it's cute that you think I care if I'm labeled as offensive.
 Shiva.Nikolce
サーバ: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-04-30 13:21:01  
This is how it works, don't you understand?

Radicals seek to redefine words so that you cannot speak them lest be labeled a racist. If it wasn't thug (which has no founding racial component) it would be the next thing, until you're so afraid to be labeled offensive that you don't say anything at all.

Thank Altana you seem to be immune to their incredible power.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-04-30 13:23:35  
Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
Did you know that if you had never existed no crimes would have ever been committed against you?

Yep, that's what i'm saying...
Pretty much. You do it often enough too. You ignore what actually happens and blame it on whatever else you think you can. How far back would you like to go?

Maybe if his momma slapped him around like that lady they're reporting on recently he never would have gotten into drugs and never had a rap sheet.

Maybe if his daddy stuck around when he was a kid he could have been a more productive member of society!

You ignore the reality of the situation and look for some excuse in the past to justify or dismiss the present actions. It's ridiculous.

I don't know who you are arguing against, but it isn't me.

Epic LOL.

Your favorite president laughs with us.

We're having a conversation. I pointed out that he's got a long rap sheet. That in no way justifies the police severing his spine (if that's what happened).

I pointed out that someone with a long rap sheet probably belongs in jail and that if he had been in jail, he would not have had his spine severed by the police (if that's what happened). Pointing this out in no way justifies the police severing his spine.

But how can anyone rationalize the notion that if he HAD been in prison, he wouldn't have been in a better spot than he is now.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-04-30 13:25:09  
I'm merely saying that if we kept repeated offenders in jail this situation wouldn't have ever happened.
You make the argument that he should have been in prison and therefore this would never have happened. By doing this you completely ignore what actually happened and focus on hypotheticals. Instead of examining how the police handled the siuation or questiong how they perform their duty you seem to revert back to well if a had happened in the first place then b would have never taken place!
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-04-30 13:26:30  
I have no idea why you've decided to play a what if game.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-04-30 13:26:40  
But how can anyone rationalize the notion that if he HAD been in prison, he wouldn't have been in a better spot than he is now.
How is this relevant to any conversation?

It's like me saying that if he was born in England this never would have happened.

It did happen.
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
サーバ: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-04-30 13:27:09  
Prevent police spine snapping! Get in Jail Now!
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-04-30 13:28:23  
Bahamut.Milamber said: »

Warning: May experience routine shanking, rape and/or severe mental deterioration. But you won't get your spine snapped!
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-04-30 13:29:54  
We're having a conversation. I pointed out that he's got a long rap sheet. That in no way justifies the police severing his spine (if that's what happened).

I pointed out that someone with a long rap sheet probably belongs in jail and that if he had been in jail, he would not have had his spine severed by the police (if that's what happened). Pointing this out in no way justifies the police severing his spine.

That statement doesn't even make a little bit of sense....

If the police killed him while he was in police custody how would he have safer in police custody somewhere else?

I'm confused. Do you think there aren't any police in prison?
[+]
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-30 13:29:57  
Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »

Warning: May experience routine shanking, rape and/or severe mental deterioration. But you won't get your spine snapped!

Also, according to Ben Carson, you'll turn gay.
[+]
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-30 13:31:02  
Shiva.Nikolce said: »
I'm confused. Do you think there aren't any police in prison?

Truth be told, given he's a non-violent drug offender, he'd probably be in a private prison where there aren't any police. There are private guards, who are understaffed, underpaid, undertrained, and completely unprepared and unable to step in and defend you if they see you getting your ***kicked in from across the yard.

Because you're a criminal and probably deserve it, and they aren't getting paid enough to get shanked.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-04-30 13:31:16  

Nausi does support this line of thought as well.
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-04-30 13:31:21  
I love the fascist undertones of the police have free rein if you have ever been incarcerated and that nothing short of lethal force should be applied if you're a criminal.

I can almost taste the fear coming off lips. I have my delusional bloodbath fantasies as much as the next guy but we have legal system for a reason. Or should we have just capped Martha Stewart for insider trading?

No undertone is implied. I'm merely saying that if we kept repeated offenders in jail this situation wouldn't have ever happened.

March 20, 2015: Possession of a Controlled Dangerous Substance
March 13, 2015: Malicious destruction of property, second-degree assault
January 20, 2015: Fourth-degree burglary, trespassing
January 14, 2015: Possession of a controlled dangerous substance, possession of a controlled dangerous substance with intent to distribute
December 31, 2014: Possession of narcotics with intent to distribute
December 14, 2014: Possession of a controlled dangerous substance
August 31, 2014: Illegal gambling, trespassing
January 25, 2014: Possession of marijuana
September 28, 2013: Distribution of narcotics, unlawful possession of a controlled dangerous substance, second-degree assault, second-degree escape
April 13, 2012: Possession of a controlled dangerous substance with intent to distribute, unlawful possession of a controlled dangerous substance, violation of probation
July 16, 2008: Possession of a controlled dangerous substance, possession with intent to distribute
March 28, 2008: Unlawful possession of a controlled dangerous substance
March 14, 2008: Possession of a controlled dangerous substance with intent to manufacture and distribute
February 11, 2008: Unlawful possession of a controlled dangerous substance, possession of a controlled dangerous substance
August 29, 2007: Possession of a controlled dangerous substance with intent to distribute, violation of probation
August 28, 2007: Possession of marijuana
August 23, 2007: False statement to a peace officer, unlawful possession of a controlled dangerous substance
July 16, 2007: Possession of a controlled dangerous substance with intent to distribute, unlawful possession of a controlled dangerous substance (2 counts)

I bolded everything that I think should land one in jail for an extended amount of time.

These are for arrests, not convictions.

While he has served time not all arrests led to prosecutions, let alone convictions.
Quote:
Court records indicate that Gray's arrests were mostly for drug charges and minor crimes, and sometimes were not prosecuted.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-04-30 13:32:42  
I used to be a big fan of the word "thug" to describe people in criminal/gang culture, be they white or black, since where I live there are many people of both colors that fit into that same idiotic culture. I've since stopped using the word because so many seem to now be using it in place of a more traditional black epithet...

Is this not in your own words that you don't use "thug" because other people hear "n*gger"?
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-04-30 13:33:14  

Well... yes he would be gay...but he would still be alive in his cop free prison of awesome good times
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-04-30 13:35:43  
I'm merely saying that if we kept repeated offenders in jail this situation wouldn't have ever happened.
You make the argument that he should have been in prison and therefore this would never have happened. By doing this you completely ignore what actually happened and focus on hypotheticals. Instead of examining how the police handled the siuation or questiong how they perform their duty you seem to revert back to well if a had happened in the first place then b would have never taken place!

I don't completely ignore what actually happened. I'm merely saying that if the justice system had kept this guy in prison this wouldn't have happened either. You seemingly don't want to have any discussion about anything that doesn't result in a bucket of mud you can throw at the cops.
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-30 13:36:19  

Is this not in your own words that you don't use "thug" because other people hear "n*gger"?

No, it's me not using it because of the way other people use it.

Subtle difference, and maybe it makes no difference, but I think it's significant to point out.

I wasn't "scared away" by anyone trying to police my language. I observed how a word has come to be used in culture and refuse to use it in such a way.

Just like you don't hear many people calling a cigarette a "***" anymore, or someone who is happy "gay".

Meanings change. It's just something I've noticed.
 Bahamut.Ravael
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-04-30 13:37:57  
Phew, I'm glad that this thread got a lot less fun all of a sudden. Back to being productive!
[+]
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-30 13:39:01  
Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Phew, I'm glad that this thread got a lot less fun all of a sudden. Back to being productive!

[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-04-30 13:39:08  
*ding* Ladies and Gentleman, this is your captain speaking. We've reached the point in the flight where we engage in character assassination to cover for the reality that racist elements exist in America to this day. *ding*

Thank you for flying Newscycle Airways, we look forward to seeing you for the next black guy getting run through a woodchipper by police claiming he was reaching for a weapon.

Spoiler: That guy was once arrested 25 years ago for jaywalking. What a thug!
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-04-30 13:42:43  

No, it's me not using it because of the way other people use it.

Subtle difference, and maybe it makes no difference, but I think it's significant to point out.

I wasn't "scared away" by anyone trying to police my language. I observed how a word has come to be used in culture and refuse to use it in such a way.

Just like you don't hear many people calling a cigarette a "***" anymore, or someone who is happy "gay".

Meanings change. It's just something I've noticed.

Except of course when you speak them, then they mean whatever someone else tells you they mean.
 Bahamut.Milamber
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-04-30 13:43:02  

I don't completely ignore what actually happened. I'm merely saying that if the justice system had kept this guy in prison this wouldn't have happened either. You seemingly don't want to have any discussion about anything that doesn't result in a bucket of mud you can throw at the cops.
Well, if they shot him and killed him five years ago, this wouldn't have happened either.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-04-30 13:46:41  

Well, if they shot him and killed him five years ago, this wouldn't have happened either.

YouTube Video Placeholder

YOU CANT DO THAT
THE FUTURE WILL BE CHANGED
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-30 13:49:50  
Except of course when you speak them, then they mean whatever someone else tells you they mean.

You know what, in the grand scheme it really doesn't matter because regardless you're going to believe my feelings on the word were shaped by some vicious, faceless, nameless group of social justice warriors soooo...sure, whatever you want.

Undelete | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-04-30 13:54:29  
Quote:
Last week, Davis said there were three stops: the first to put leg irons on Gray, the second "to deal with Mr. Gray" (an incident, he said, that remained under investigation) and the third to pick up a prisoner in an unrelated matter.

The new stop, which "was discovered from a privately owned camera," Davis said Thursday, came between the first and second stops.

The latest revelations came shortly after two new accounts of what happened to Gray emerged -- threads that could offer clues as to where and when the man whose death sparked protests in Baltimore was fatally injured.

The first comes from a relative of one of the officers involved in the arrest. She told CNN the officer thinks Gray was injured while he was being arrested -- before he was put inside a police van.
Source
Looks like the cops lied about how many stops they made and a relative of a police officer thinks the cops injured him!

Is this enough to change your mind again KN?
I never said anything to be honest, I'm just pointing out that it's very possible that the death was self-induced.

Notice how quiet I have been about the whole incident? Only thing I posted about it was the prisoner's statement about how the incident could possibly be a self-inflicted injury/death, and noted how it wouldn't really matter in the eyes of the rioters....
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-30 13:55:38  
Oh sweet baby Cthulhu* fix that copy/paste before someone bans you.

*picture requisite
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-04-30 13:56:55  
Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Quote:
Last week, Davis said there were three stops: the first to put leg irons on Gray, the second "to deal with Mr. Gray" (an incident, he said, that remained under investigation) and the third to pick up a prisoner in an unrelated matter.

The new stop, which "was discovered from a privately owned camera," Davis said Thursday, came between the first and second stops.

The latest revelations came shortly after two new accounts of what happened to Gray emerged -- threads that could offer clues as to where and when the man whose death sparked protests in Baltimore was fatally injured.

The first comes from a relative of one of the officers involved in the arrest. She told CNN the officer thinks Gray was injured while he was being arrested -- before he was put inside a police van.
Source
Looks like the cops lied about how many stops they made and a relative of a police officer thinks the cops injured him!

Is this enough to change your mind again KN?
I never said anything to be honest, I'm just pointing out that it's very possible that the death was self-induced.

Notice how quiet I have been about the whole incident? Only thing I posted about it was the prisoner's statement about how the incident could possibly be a self-inflicted injury/death, and noted how it wouldn't really matter in the eyes of the rioters....
Garuda.Chanti said: »
Siren.Mosin said: »
is vandalism a greater crime than 200 years of systematic oppression death while in police custody?
Even while it was self-inflicted?
Seems like you pretty clearly stated it was self-inflicted lol... way to backpedal though.

There is this one too...
I, for one, have no problem believing that the police were wrong in the first place and roughed up a guy too much. (Not that he was without guilt in going into police custody in the first place, but that doesn't make his mistreatment okay.)
Even when evidence is presented that shows that the injury was self inflicted?
 Bahamut.Ravael
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-04-30 14:02:00  
I'm just getting sick of hearing the word "racist" at this point. It's so overused now that it's starting to lose meaning. It used to be a serious accusation, but the broader the application, the less it's going to matter.

What could have been titled "Cops fail to use proper protocol, prisoner receives fatal injury in their care" is now titled "Racist white cops kill prisoner because he's black, obviously". I don't know what was running through the mind of the cops, but assuming it was racist just because we have a negative interaction between white and black people is horribly unfair. How far of a jump is it from here to conclusions again?
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-04-30 14:02:42  

You know what, in the grand scheme it really doesn't matter because regardless you're going to believe my feelings on the word were shaped by some vicious, faceless, nameless group of social justice warriors soooo...sure, whatever you want.

You admittedly avoid speaking some words because of how others hear them. Even if you avoid speaking some words because other people mean them in ways you do not, Either way, you're still walking on eggshells because of how you hope to be interpreted by the people who hear you.
First Page 2 3 ... 521 522 523 ... 1375 1376 1377