Random Politics & Religion #00

Eorzea Time

言語: JP EN FR DE
日本語版のFFXIVPRO利用したい場合は、上記の"JP"を設定して、又はjp.ffxivpro.comを直接に利用してもいいです
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 852 853 854 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Garuda.Chanti
サーバ: Garuda
Game: FFXI
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-08-17 15:16:54  
Sylph.Jeanpaul said: »
Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
The Red Sox are cheaters does not mean that red sox supporters are cheaters.

There are plenty of smart people that believe stupid things. It does not mean that you are stupid if you you hold a particularly stupid belief.

But again it's all about what you fell when I speak and not about what I say.
Focus more on your reasoning, data, and ability to convey them and less on your analogies.
You must be new here. Nasui rarely reasons.
 Bahamut.Ravael
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-08-17 16:20:51  
Drama Torama said: »
The personal attack rules still apply. Attack positions, not posters. Failure to adhere to this will result in your removal from the thread.

Judging by how this thread has gone since you said this...

[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-08-17 16:25:32  
Garuda.Chanti said: »
Sylph.Jeanpaul said: »

There are plenty of smart people that believe stupid things. It does not mean that you are stupid if you you hold a particularly stupid belief.

Focus more on your reasoning, data, and ability to convey them and less on your analogies.
You must be new here. Nasui rarely reasons.

Chanti, that's offensive you know (as well as personal).

Not that I really care, I'm not going to report it because I mean I can cope with words anonymously thrown at me over the interwebz and all. It sure is fun to watch people complain about rudeness but then permit it when it's self serving though.

I mean where are the PC warriors against chani?
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-08-17 16:27:18  
I miss Altima there I said it
[+]
Administrator
サーバ: Hyperion
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Drama Torama 2015-08-17 16:28:06  
Bahamut.Ravael said: »
The personal attack rules still apply. Attack positions, not posters. Failure to adhere to this will result in your removal from the thread.

I've been busy! Not as much time to patrol.

So far, with few exceptions, the personal attack reports I've gotten lately have been the kind where I read the comment, decide the reporter is just trying to score points against a rival, and move on. I've gotten closer to removing reporting privileges for a couple of people than I have topic banning anyone, but the day's still young.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
サーバ: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-08-17 16:29:19  

Don't mistake temperance for weakness. Even good sir rookstator has a full line in his bs container.
Administrator
By Drama Torama 2015-08-17 16:29:46  
Cerberus.Pleebo said: »

Still a couple months left on his suspension, then you can frolic in the fields together again.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-08-17 16:32:04  
Odin.Jassik said: »

Cheating is choice of action and sports fanship isn't the same relationship as ideology, you're trying to draw a distinction that doesn't apply.

People don't like being told their ideas are wrong, but people are offended by being told their ideas equate to a mental disability. If that's your bar for how people feel instead of what you say being the issue, I think it says more about your character than theirs.

So #1 rule (as you see it) for P&R is don't offend anyone. Got it. When are you going to start self censoring?
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-08-17 16:33:29  
Don't equate liberalism to mental illness. Is this that *** difficult?
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-08-17 16:38:10  
Don't equate skepticism to denial then. Let's just do a full round of self censorship. Where the feels of others uber alles!!
Administrator
By Drama Torama 2015-08-17 16:39:21  
See, told you the day was young.

/revs chainsaw
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-08-17 16:39:30  

Cheating is choice of action and sports fanship isn't the same relationship as ideology, you're trying to draw a distinction that doesn't apply.

People don't like being told their ideas are wrong, but people are offended by being told their ideas equate to a mental disability. If that's your bar for how people feel instead of what you say being the issue, I think it says more about your character than theirs.

So #1 rule (as you see it) for P&R is don't offend anyone. Got it. When are you going to start self censoring?

Rule number one in my book is don't be an ***. Believe me, I censor myself more than most posters here. If you offend someone by speaking truth without malice, that's on them, but when you say false and blatantly offensive things, people will call you out on it. That's the way society works. You're free to open your mouth, but not free of the consequences for what comes out.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-08-17 16:46:47  
See, told you the day was young.

/revs chainsaw

If we ever all do thanksgiving you'd better not forget to actually bring the chainsaw.

You might need more than that actually, got anything else?
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-08-17 17:03:32  
We're going to have to set some strict rules for this Thanksgiving thing. One weapon per person, and it has to be melee.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-08-17 17:04:28  
Don't equate skepticism to denial then. Let's just do a full round of self censorship. Where the feels of others uber alles!!
I don't equate the two. What you put forward is not skepticism so there's no confusion really.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-08-17 17:06:21  
I don't equate the two. What you put forward is not skepticism so there's no confusion really.

Well, you called me a denier, so clearly there is some confusion.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-08-17 17:09:59  

Skepticism implies you aren't convinced it's true. You don't want to be convinced, you say blatantly that AGW is hoax and call people that are convinced zealots and idiots. You aren't skeptical, you're a denier. Denying the existence of climate change is a willful act, once again, in no way comparable to calling liberalism a metal disorder. In this case, it isn't a two-way street, dude. Just give it up.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-08-17 17:11:06  

There's no confusion, you question the validity and accuracy of the data. That's skepticism.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-08-17 17:12:59  

There's no confusion, you question the validity and accuracy of the data. That's skepticism.
To a point.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-08-17 17:15:21  
Either way,
Don't equate liberalism to mental illness.
Don't equate skepticism to denial then.
One of these things is not like the others

I don't know why climate change is being brought up.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-08-17 17:16:01  

To a point.

I don't pretend to know what level of certainty a climate scientist would or should have in the data that's available, but I believe if the data was put under his nose, Rav would admit it was convincing.
By Jetackuu 2015-08-17 17:28:16  

I've been busy! Not as much time to patrol.

So far, with few exceptions, the personal attack reports I've gotten lately have been the kind where I read the comment, decide the reporter is just trying to score points against a rival, and move on. I've gotten closer to removing reporting privileges for a couple of people than I have topic banning anyone, but the day's still young.

Still don't see how a necessary forum function is a "privilege."

I mean yes, if somebody is spamming the button constantly for no reason then it should be dealt with but isn't it the job of moderation to determine the legitimacy of reports and ignore it if they don't find it breaking the rules? I mean it is a subjective thing a lot of times.

If you didn't determine it to be then reporting would work like multiple reports does instantly instead of needing so many to trigger.

From the past few pages there has been some borderline attacks by multiple parties on multiple sides of the political spectrum (real and ffxiah one).

It just seems a tad silly, but then again I don't see what all gets reported, so there's that too.
 Garuda.Chanti
サーバ: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-08-17 17:59:59  
Ne too. There has been some recent research into the cow fart thing I wished to share with him.

Either way,
Don't equate liberalism to mental illness.
Don't equate skepticism to denial then.
One of these things is not like the others

Don't we now have a thread on climate change?
Administrator
By Drama Torama 2015-08-17 18:08:24  
Jetackuu said: »
Still don't see how a necessary forum function is a "privilege."

I mean yes, if somebody is spamming the button constantly for no reason then it should be dealt with but isn't it the job of moderation to determine the legitimacy of reports and ignore it if they don't find it breaking the rules? I mean it is a subjective thing a lot of times.

If you didn't determine it to be then reporting would work like multiple reports does instantly instead of needing so many to trigger.

From the past few pages there has been some borderline attacks by multiple parties on multiple sides of the political spectrum (real and ffxiah one).

It just seems a tad silly, but then again I don't see what all gets reported, so there's that too.

Privilege is the term used for all permissions in the system.

Here's the thing on excessive or frivolous reports; yes, it's the moderator's job to follow up and filter reports. However, reports drag us out of whatever else we were doing, so when flimsy reports show up, that's just interrupted me and wasted my time. So someone gets thin-skinned in the P+R section (or brings it on themselves and then cries foul), they get no sympathy, and if it's a common enough occurrence, that command gets stripped.

Regarding attacks in here; the problem is that the borderline stuff, a topicban from what's essentially another version of RT is too harsh a punishment, since they don't automatically end. I could change the topicban logic, I could decide to crack down and just start hammering people, or I let little stuff slide. I've tried the latter two with mixed success. (You'll note that the hammer comes down a lot harder in the side threads than this one). The other part of the problem is that I'm fairly busy right now (both with site work and RL work) so I don't dig into every post. The cases where something's clearly crossed the line (liberalism is a mental illness, etc) have been addressed, usually in PMs. I had what I thought was a fairly productive conversation with Nausi about it, only to watch people come right back at him for it later today. So, yeah.

Regarding what all gets reported, the amount of reports in a day varies between almost nothing and "torrential downpour".
[+]
 Valefor.Endoq
サーバ: Valefor
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-08-17 18:16:48  
Because
By Jetackuu 2015-08-17 18:18:10  
I'm aware on the term, and I know what you're saying I just wanted to add another viewpoint.

I know how the busy bit goes though, 'tis life and you piled a bunch more on your plate willingly, respect on that one.

I had what I thought was a fairly productive conversation with Nausi about it, only to watch people come right back at him for it later today. So, yeah.

I considered reporting that as it was unnecessary harassment imo but I got sidetracked at work earlier.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
サーバ: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-08-17 19:21:59  
Almost a whole page on 'liberal tolerance' and I missed it. Oh well.

So who are the parties that act tough, but weep to themselves while they spam the report button?

Yeah I know that information can't be released, but it would be helpful to make sure those people are taken care of properly during our Thanksgiving gathering.

Remember kids the report button is for actual rule breaking, not feelz.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-08-17 20:08:54  
For the record, this conversation about running to the mods didn't start with me. I just threw my 2 cents on it because in light of recent events it was an opportunity to share my opinion. I am not under the impression that doing so is a violation of the rules.

I understand why the topicban was issued, cause and effect and all. That doesn't mean I agree with it though. In the future, there is incentive to not be quite as broad-sweeping with my statements as it will probably result in another topicban. That fact doesn't mean I'm not allowed to have or share my opinions, just that I must re-organize them.

It's humorous to me (aside from that fact that I'm indirectly contributing to a solid admin's aggravation) that people seemingly cant even deal with my refusal to agree that I needed to be punished without freaking out and hitting the report button (if that's the case).

Anyways, I don't believe Rooks gets paid for being an admin, so like can't we all just, you know, get over it and try to not bother him with the trivial stuff?
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-08-17 20:11:02  
Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
Almost a whole page on 'liberal tolerance' and I missed it. Oh well.

So who are the parties that act tough, but weep to themselves while they spam the report button?

Yeah I know that information can't be released, but it would be helpful to make sure those people are taken care of properly during our Thanksgiving gathering.

Remember kids the report button is for actual rule breaking, not feelz.

Where do you go man? I mean you need to be on P&R standby 24/7.
[+]
Administrator
By Drama Torama 2015-08-17 20:35:53  
I don't believe Rooks gets paid for being an admin

I do not. I do this because I love the site, I want to help, and I have the requisite set of skills to do so. I enjoy programming and particularly enjoy interesting problems to solve; the FFXIAH project has absolutely no shortage of those. Everything else that comes with the job (like mod duties) is just the entry fee.

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
Yeah I know that information can't be released

Nope. Sorry.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 852 853 854 ... 1375 1376 1377