Ebola Patient Coming To U.S.

Eorzea Time

言語: JP EN FR DE
日本語版のFFXIVPRO利用したい場合は、上記の"JP"を設定して、又はjp.ffxivpro.comを直接に利用してもいいです
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Chatterbox » Ebola Patient Coming to U.S.
Ebola Patient Coming to U.S.
First Page 2 3 ... 13 14 15 ... 42 43 44
 Leviathan.Chaosx
サーバ: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-10-02 21:05:15  
Lakshmi.Aelius said: »
Hawaii has been ruled out. Says so in that article.
Same with Utah.

Ebola case in Utah ‘highly unlikely,’ but hospitals testing preparedness systems
 Ragnarok.Nausi
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-10-02 21:07:04  
Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
So more speculation. Gotta generate that ad revenue somehow, I guess.
Anything to keep faith with the system, huh pleebo?

Anyone know the status of the family of that ebola patient? What I mean is are they illegal aliens? Think the administration has any political interest in covering that stuff up at all? I mean it would be a pretty big blow to the whole idea of "executive amnesty" huh?
 Lakshmi.Aelius
VIP
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Aelius
By Lakshmi.Aelius 2014-10-02 21:10:13  

I could say every answer to any question is speculation too.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-10-02 21:11:16  
Ragnarok.Nausi said: »

Anyone know the status of the family of that ebola patient? What I mean is are they illegal aliens? Think the administration has any political interest in covering that stuff up at all? I mean it would be a pretty big blow to the whole idea of "executive amnesty" huh?
Your concern is noted, Mr. Limbaugh.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-10-02 21:11:17  

Well now that we got a name I could take a gander.
 Bahamut.Kara
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-10-02 21:12:05  
Lakshmi.Aelius said: »
and now this popped up on my FB feed.

It was said that Mr Ebola patient threw up outside the apartments where he was staying at. So they hired a crew to power wash the disease away.

Good luck everyone!
This looks to have been exagerated. And I hope that is true.
Another Mind-Bogglingly Dumb Post From GatewayPundit: “Unprotected Workers Cleaning Ebola Vomit!”

However, the response by health department is underwhelming, so far.
Delay in Dallas Ebola Cleanup as Workers Balk at Task
Quote:
In the latest indication, state and local authorities confirmed Thursday that a week after a Liberian man fell ill with Ebola in Dallas, and four days after he was placed in isolation at a hospital here, the apartment where he was staying with four other people had not been sanitized and the sheets and dirty towels he used while sick remained in the home. County officials visited the apartment without protection Wednesday night.

The officials said it had been difficult to find a contractor willing to enter the apartment to clean it and remove bedding and clothes, which they said had been bagged in plastic. They said they now had hired a firm that would do the work soon. The Texas health commissioner, Dr. David Lakey, told reporters during an afternoon news conference that officials had encountered “a little bit of hesitancy” in seeking a firm to clean the apartment.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-10-02 21:15:15  
Quote:
Look up "likely visa overstay" in the dictionary, and you should find a picture of Thomas Eric Duncan, the Liberian man who is the first Ebola case diagnosed within the United States, and who is now being treated in a Dallas hospital.

This looks like another good case for the consular officers training manual of a non-immigrant visa that never should have been issued, but which could have serious public health consequences, not to mention monetary costs.

According to his Facebook page and other reports, Duncan is a 40-something, single, unemployed Liberian living in Ghana who applied sometime in the last year for a visa to visit his sister in the United States.

That is five strikes against his application:

Single
Unemployed
Liberian (5th highest overstay rate of any country in the world)
Living outside country of citizenship
Sister living in the United States.

Together, all these factors should have weighed very heavily against the issuance of a visitor's visa to Duncan. He clearly appears unqualified.

In 2013, more than 3,500 non-immigrant visas were issued to Liberians. This number has grown steadily since 2009, when just over 1,300 were issued. Most are issued to tourists and business travelers. A relatively high percentage do not return, but settle here illegally to join a well-established Liberian community (many of whom have won green cards in the visa lottery).

The federal government has yet to disclose the details of Duncan's immigration history, but it is fair to ask why he was issued a visa in the first place? More importantly, what steps are being taken to prevent others who may be infected from entering the country?

Using 2013 non-immigrant visa issuance statistics and information on visa validity periods, I estimate that there are about 5,000 people from Sierra Leone, 5,000 people from Guinea, and 3,500 people from Liberia who have valid non-immigrant visas to enter the United States.
Dallas Ebola Patient Was Another Visa Mistake
 Lakshmi.Aelius
VIP
user: Aelius
By Lakshmi.Aelius 2014-10-02 21:17:14  
Suppose we'll know in a few weeks when Ebola rapidly starts claiming people in that particular area.

Until then, I'm going to speculate.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-10-02 21:24:10  

25%-90% but hey if you wanna bet on 50% or less in a few months when there's no more hospital beds left be my guest...

Case rate, but average is 50%, so 50%.

I'll just do the smart thing and avoid potential contact hazards as it's rather easy to *** avoid, something a lot of us do anyway, have better immune systems/hygiene practices than the general west African village.
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-10-02 21:34:52  
Some good news
Nigeria’s Actions Seem to Contain Ebola Outbreak
Quote:
Meanwhile, local health workers paid 18,500 face-to-face visits to repeatedly take the temperatures of nearly 900 people who had contact with them. The last confirmed case was detected on Aug. 31, and virtually all contacts have passed the 21-day incubation period without falling ill.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-10-02 21:36:42  
Jetackuu said: »
I'll just do the smart thing and avoid potential contact hazards as it's rather easy to *** avoid, something a lot of us do anyway, have better immune systems/hygiene practices than the general west African village.
In college I worked as a custodian to help pay my way through. Some of the things I saw make me question that statement. /shudder
[+]
By Bloodrose 2014-10-02 21:42:45  
Bahamut.Ravael said: »
In college I worked as a custodian to help pay my way through. Some of the things I saw make me question that statement. /shudder
Some of the things you see working in fast food/casual dining makes you question that as well.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-10-02 21:47:22  
Bloodrose said: »
Some of the things you see working in fast food/casual dining makes you question that as well.
There are hoarders amongst us!
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-10-02 21:48:11  
Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
Quote:
Look up "likely visa overstay" in the dictionary, and you should find a picture of Thomas Eric Duncan, the Liberian man who is the first Ebola case diagnosed within the United States, and who is now being treated in a Dallas hospital.

This looks like another good case for the consular officers training manual of a non-immigrant visa that never should have been issued, but which could have serious public health consequences, not to mention monetary costs.

According to his Facebook page and other reports, Duncan is a 40-something, single, unemployed Liberian living in Ghana who applied sometime in the last year for a visa to visit his sister in the United States.

Single
Unemployed

Together, all these factors should have weighed very heavily against the issuance of a visitor's visa to Duncan. He clearly appears unqualified.

In 2013, more than 3,500 non-immigrant visas were issued to Liberians. This number has grown steadily since 2009, when just over 1,300 were issued. Most are issued to tourists and business travelers. A relatively high percentage do not return, but settle here illegally to join a well-established Liberian community (many of whom have won green cards in the visa lottery).

The federal government has yet to disclose the details of Duncan's immigration history, but it is fair to ask why he was issued a visa in the first place? More importantly, what steps are being taken to prevent others who may be infected from entering the country?

Using 2013 non-immigrant visa issuance statistics and information on visa validity periods, I estimate that there are about 5,000 people from Sierra Leone, 5,000 people from Guinea, and 3,500 people from Liberia who have valid non-immigrant visas to enter the United States.
Illegal immigrants are only spreading the diseases American's can't be bothered to spread.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-10-02 21:57:10  

"Quarantined" family takes supply delivery.

That sure looks competent to me. I'm sure turning ones head is all we need in the order of precautions.
By Jetackuu 2014-10-02 22:57:13  

That sure looks competent to me. I'm sure turning ones head is all we need in the order of precautions.

Considering how it is transmitted, he's fine.
By Bloodrose 2014-10-02 23:00:30  
Bloodrose said: »
There are hoarders amongst us!
I wouldn't call it hoarding. Just look any pretty much any episode of Bar Rescue, Restaurant Make-over, etc.

These shows only represent a very, VERY small fraction of the restaurants that would ordinarily be shutdown if public health inspectors weren't corrupt pieces of ***.
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-10-02 23:36:56  

That is a family member picking up food/supplies dropped off at the closed door and handing it to another family member.

Halfway down this article shows a picture before this one
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/oct/02/ebola-patients-waste-remained-texas-apartment-two-days
Edit found series

[+]
By Altimaomega 2014-10-02 23:37:33  

Looks like you save all your disbelief and speculation for this. Now we know you are capable of having these thoughts I guess..
[+]
By Altimaomega 2014-10-03 00:18:16  
Curious, why is it the left leaning people here are trying so hard play nonchalant and disregard everything? This seems like something they would normally be up in arms about while demanding this dude and anyone who was in contact with him be quarantined.

I'm just waiting for the Ebola Mutation part of the discussion.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-10-03 00:19:50  
Altimaomega said: »
Looks like you save all your disbelief and speculation for this. Now we know you are capable of having these thoughts I guess..
That's precious. Meanwhile, the latest fearmongering story is quickly unraveling. Better luck next time, ebola!
Curious, why is it the left leaning people here are trying so hard play nonchalant and disregard everything? This seems like something they would normally be up in arms about while demanding this dude and anyone who was in contact with him be quarantined.

Because we're moderately well-informed on the disease pathology. Anything else?
[+]
By Altimaomega 2014-10-03 00:27:04  
That's precious. Meanwhile, the latest fearmongering story is quickly unraveling. Better luck next time, Global Warming!

Because we're arrogant and believe we understand virus's even though cures for them elude us. Anything else?

ftfy.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-10-03 00:29:38  
/popcorn
[+]
By Bloodrose 2014-10-03 00:29:49  
That's precious. Meanwhile, the latest fearmongering story is quickly unraveling. Better luck next time, Global Warming!

Because we're arrogant and believe we understand virus's even though cures for them elude us. Anything else?

I found a level beyond Full Retard.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-10-03 00:30:14  
If you found out that Ebola has been around for several thousand years and that the family of virus that Ebola stems from is 10s of millions of years old, how would you feel about that mutation comment?
[+]
By Altimaomega 2014-10-03 00:54:53  
Did I enter bizzaro ffxiah.com somehow?
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-10-03 01:12:03  
Because we're moderately well-informed on the disease pathology. Anything else?

I agree with Altimaomega on this point. We as a society are very naive regarding infectious disease. It wasn't very long ago that researchers discovered that triclosan was more harmful than good. At one point we saw triclosan in every product, ranging from hand-sanitizers, face washes, toothpastes, etc. EDIT: Triclosan as an active ingredient isn't as abundant now. The FDA is now reviewing triclosan since researchers have agreed triclosan contributes to antibiotic resistance. Let's not even get started about how beta-lactam antibiotics are resisted in many strains now.

Quote:
In light of these studies, FDA is engaged in an ongoing scientific and regulatory review of this ingredient. FDA does not have sufficient safety evidence to recommend changing consumer use of products that contain triclosan at this time.

This mentality is slowly being applied in modern medicine, where physicians don't bust out the antibiotics at the first symptom. Many now run tests to determine if it's a flu first or wait to see if the symptoms persist longer than 2-3 weeks.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-10-03 01:52:52  
The topic is about one disease. Not attitudes towards infectious diseases in general. There's no merit in the bedwetting being expressed in the last few pages, because most of us have an understanding on how ebola is transmitted and are aware of the differences in medical facilities and infrastructure between here and West Africa.

There are issues that warrant concern and then there's freaking out over out-of-context pictures and intimating the eventuality of nationwide disasters. (Then there are also the attempts to politicize the issue, which are just laughable.) Hell, it'd be funny if I wasn't reasonably sure they were being completely serious. I'm betting the toilet paper in Nausi's bunker has been fully restocked.

It's the same kind of misinformation that motivates African villagers to attack aid workers or ignore proper outbreak protocols. Just silliness.
Do enlighten us. I didn't mean to interrupt.
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-10-03 02:02:54  

I'm curious why people are acting like the sky is falling?

As the number of infectious cases increased it became more and more likely it would spread beyond Africa.

Is this concerning? Yes. People need to pay attention to their surroundings, clean their hands, and act like rational adults.

Should we be acting like the zombie apocalypse is about to happen? No. Panicking helps no one.

So far since 3:30am my time I've seen two absolutely fake stories that are being paraded as truth on this site. Will the blogs and the news sites start running with the fake cures that have made the rounds in Africa? Will people start guzzling salt water?

I've also read about stupid decisions on behalf of the Texas health department and federal which is cause for concern.

Like I said before if the US cannot contain this when other countries in Africa have been able to for previous breakouts then there is something seriously wrong with both the citizens and the government.
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-10-03 03:09:55  
Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
Quote:

Single
Unemployed

This "article" is full of BS.

Obtaining a visitors visa from a US embassy is not as easy as snapping your fingers.
1. This article is full of assumptions based on a facebook account...
2. It doesn't mention the requirements necessary to obtain a US visa.
http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/visit/visitor.html
http://monrovia.usembassy.gov/mobile/visas.html
3. It doesn't say which visa he has because that has not been released to the public. There is more than one type and the requirements vary.

I don't know if anyone on this site has ever had to apply for a visa to another country or deal with US embassays abroad but it is not simple or quick.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 13 14 15 ... 42 43 44