Ebola Patient Coming To U.S.

Eorzea Time

言語: JP EN FR DE
日本語版のFFXIVPRO利用したい場合は、上記の"JP"を設定して、又はjp.ffxivpro.comを直接に利用してもいいです
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Chatterbox » Ebola Patient Coming to U.S.
Ebola Patient Coming to U.S.
First Page 2 3 ... 16 17 18 ... 42 43 44
 Cerberus.Pleebo
サーバ: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-10-08 17:15:56  
Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
So the CDC, who's been dropping the ball on this Ebola thing wants us to know that Ebola could become airborne but probably wouldn't.

The WHO is prepping for a "likely" outbreak in Europe.

Last week while the CDC was saying that the chances Ebola would arrive on the shores of the US was insignificant, Thomas Eric Duncan was on the plane coming over.

I guess my point is why would anyone give the CDC the time of day? Its pretty funny for you to respond in by essentially saying "did you even read the article? the guy says to calm down".
What's it like to constantly be scared of things you clearly do not understand?
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
サーバ: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-10-08 17:31:43  
So the CDC, who's been dropping the ball on this Ebola thing wants us to know that Ebola could become airborne but probably wouldn't.

Last week while the CDC was saying that the chances Ebola would arrive on the shores of the US was insignificant, Thomas Eric Duncan was on the plane coming over.

I guess my point is why would anyone give the CDC the time of day? Its pretty funny for you to respond in by essentially saying "did you even read the article? the guy says to calm down".

Any virus has the potential to become airborne after a few million years of "successful" evolution. Will ebola go airborne? Probably not.

Usually only the "successful" viruses go airborne. See a disease isn't actually successful in terms of evolution if it kills off its host. The reason being is that its genetic lineage stops the moment it host dies because a virus cannot self-sustain outside of a host body. Considering ebola tends to kill its host AND so quickly, it is therefor less successful in terms of evolution compared to some other pathogens like the flu.

So a virus like the flu can keep playing evolutionary roulette indefinitely because the virus rarely kills the patient. Ebola on the other hand has a fixed time frame in which it can play evolutionary roulette.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
サーバ: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-10-08 17:35:26  
Bahamut.Baconwrap said: »

Any virus has the potential to become airborne after a few million years of "successful" evolution. Will ebola go airborne? Probably not.

Usually only the "successful" viruses go airborne. See a disease isn't actually successful in terms of evolution if it kills off its host. The reason being is that its genetic lineage stops the moment it host dies because a virus cannot self-sustain outside of a host body. Considering ebola tends to kill its host AND so quickly, it is therefor less successful in terms of evolution compared to some other pathogens like the flu.

So a virus like the flu can keep playing evolutionary roulette indefinitely because the virus rarely kills the patient. Ebola on the other hand has a fixed time frame in which it can play evolutionary roulette.
Unless the government has genetically modified it as a bio-chemical weapon.
 Shiva.Viciousss
サーバ: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-10-08 17:36:40  

Fixed. A better question is why would anyone give fearmongers the time of day? Zero new cases in the US. Seems like the CDC is doing its job, not that they will get credit for it.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
サーバ: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-10-08 17:37:23  
Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
Unless the government has genetically modified it as a bio-chemical weapon.
It all makes sense now!
[+]
By volkom 2014-10-09 09:20:05  
Not sure if it made the news or not but last night It was reported that a Dallas sheriff/Officer was to be taken into isolation because he came in contact with Duncan's apartment/belongings during the investigation or whatever.

But I heard from my friend, his dad works in the Dallas area who does news reporting (not sure if he is just a camera guy or what) but anywho, he also has come down with severe sickness and has been taken into the hospital after going to the guy's apartment for covering the news.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-10-09 09:37:39  
Found it.

Quote:
Less than 12 hours after Thomas Eric Duncan, the first Ebola patient diagnosed in the U.S., died in isolation at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital, a second man has been admitted to the same facility under fears he may have been exposed to the virus.

Sgt. Michael Monnig, a Dallas sheriff’s deputy, had reportedly been ordered on October 2 to go into the apartment where Duncan had been staying to get a quarantine order signed. He was joined by two public health officials. Neither he nor anyone he was with was wearing protective gear.

Monnig was reportedly feeling sick to his stomach, so he went to an urgent care clinic in Frisco, a suburb north of Dallas, to seek medical attention. He was later transferred to Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital.

Marjorie Owens, Jason Whitely, and Tanya Eiserer, reporting for WFAA:

Frisco Mayor Maher Maso said “risk is minimal” from the new potential Ebola case. Frisco Fire Chief Mark Piland said the patient was transported because he had “a few” symptoms that matched those in the CDC guidelines, but not all of the symptoms.

“At this point, I think we need to take every precaution,” Dyer said. “The hospital will get his blood work tested and we will know whether he is positive or negative for it, so until we know precisely whether he has it or not, we need to take every precaution.”

Monnig is currently under observation at the hospital. His blood is currently being tested for Ebola, though it will take 48 hours for the results to be confirmed.
Dallas Sheriff’s Deputy Under Observation Amid Fears of Ebola Exposure

So we'll know in ~48 hours.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-10-09 09:48:32  
Everyone's missing my point.

CDC has dropped the ball on this contagion. Why? The CDC is a federal agency under the Department of the Health and Human Services. The members at the top are picked, placed and thier agenda driven by the Obama administration.

There is a clear and obvious political benefit for the administration in not having an epidemic of Ebola. If we start closing down flights and closing off the borders because there's some real justified risk from the rest of the world, it's pretty easy to make a judgement call that Obama's desire to open up the borders and grant amnesty to illegal immigrants is a pretty dangerous call. Therefore as long as there's something political to be gained by downplaying the dangers of this risk, it will be downplayed.

This is why you have a US based agency (CDC) saying 'nothing to see here' and a external agency (WHO) saying 'lets prepare for an epidemic'.

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
What's it like to constantly be scared of things you clearly do not understand?

Dude, if you cannot perceive any sense of risk from a virus that has a mortality rate of up to 90% in past outbreaks, you're a fool. If someone coughs or sweats on their hand and walks around the city touching doorknobs or anything for that matter, that's a risk of exposure that will last for days. How can you not see the danger in that?

Please continue to stick your head in the ground. It's quite amusing.
 Valefor.Applebottoms
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Applebottoms 2014-10-09 10:10:51  
I've had co-workers say that they're going to constantly use hand sanitizer at work to avoid getting ebola from touching people, and that since I don't use it I have a higher chance to get it.

Wat.
By volkom 2014-10-09 10:16:17  
I hope no one with ebola starts licking dollar bills and spends them into circulation
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-10-09 10:25:59  
volkom said: »
I hope no one with ebola starts licking dollar bills and spends them into circulation
They don't have to lick them. If they sweat onto them through their hands, they will be contaminated.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-10-09 10:30:18  
volkom said: »

Suggestion box at ISIS already one step ahead of you.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-10-09 10:38:24  
Dude died.

Nausi: If Obama wants to have open borders and you have an opposing political party that wants to undermine his administrations every move; wouldn't you say it benefits that group more to have an outbreak so that they can point the finger? Also given that every politician reads The Prince at some point in their political schooling; wouldnt it be possible that, that party might even be orchestrating said situation in order to sway public opinion?
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-10-09 10:44:31  
Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »
Dude died.

Nausi: If Obama wants to have open borders and you have an opposing political party that wants to undermine his administrations every move; wouldn't you say it benefits that group more to have an outbreak so that they can point the finger? Also given that every politician reads The Prince at some point in their political schooling; wouldnt it be possible that, that party might even be orchestrating said situation in order to sway public opinion?

That's clearly possible. However, it'd be much easier for the executive branch (headed by 1 person and his hand picked administration) to manipulate the various departments it directly controls than what amounts to essentially less than half of congress (a few hundred people) getting together and organizing their own effort.

But just for the record I do think members of the republican party are slightly more inclined to give a *** about the well being of the general populace than Obama is. I know we likely disagree on that.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-10-09 10:52:38  
Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
Found it.

Quote:
Less than 12 hours after Thomas Eric Duncan, the first Ebola patient diagnosed in the U.S., died in isolation at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital, a second man has been admitted to the same facility under fears he may have been exposed to the virus.

Sgt. Michael Monnig, a Dallas sheriff’s deputy, had reportedly been ordered on October 2 to go into the apartment where Duncan had been staying to get a quarantine order signed. He was joined by two public health officials. Neither he nor anyone he was with was wearing protective gear.

Monnig was reportedly feeling sick to his stomach, so he went to an urgent care clinic in Frisco, a suburb north of Dallas, to seek medical attention. He was later transferred to Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital.

Marjorie Owens, Jason Whitely, and Tanya Eiserer, reporting for WFAA:

Frisco Mayor Maher Maso said “risk is minimal” from the new potential Ebola case. Frisco Fire Chief Mark Piland said the patient was transported because he had “a few” symptoms that matched those in the CDC guidelines, but not all of the symptoms.

“At this point, I think we need to take every precaution,” Dyer said. “The hospital will get his blood work tested and we will know whether he is positive or negative for it, so until we know precisely whether he has it or not, we need to take every precaution.”

Monnig is currently under observation at the hospital. His blood is currently being tested for Ebola, though it will take 48 hours for the results to be confirmed.
Dallas Sheriff’s Deputy Under Observation Amid Fears of Ebola Exposure

So we'll know in ~48 hours.

“He was in the apartment for 30 minutes, which we were told is no chance to contact the virus,”

The guy wasn't included in the list of people who were categorized as 'needing to be monitored' from contact with Thomas Eric Duncan.
 Siren.Mosin
サーバ: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2014-10-09 10:55:44  
just for the record I do think members of the republican party are slightly more inclined to give a *** about the well being of the general populace than Obama is. I know we likely disagree on that.

if you think any of them give two *** about anything other than what stripclub / steakhouse the lobbyists are taking them to this evening, you're sorely mistaken.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-10-09 10:58:04  
Siren.Mosin said: »
just for the record I do think members of the republican party are slightly more inclined to give a *** about the well being of the general populace than Obama is. I know we likely disagree on that.

if you think any of them give two *** about anything other than what stripclub / steakhouse the lobbyists are taking them to this evening, you're sorely mistaken.

Eh it's a generalized difference in ideology. The difference of opinion I hold is pretty slight.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-10-09 11:10:50  
Siren.Mosin said: »

Ahahaha, blind faith in politicians. Exactly what the Red v. Blue system of politics wants. Continue to lap up what someone SAYS rather than observe what they DO, it's worked so well in the past.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-10-09 11:12:08  
Can't we all agree that we are *** and die already?
 Fenrir.Atheryn
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2014-10-09 11:12:43  
I still don't understand the lack of precautions taken by anyone in dealing with Duncan while he was quarantined. Where were the HAZMAT suits? The protective eyewear, gloves, breathing apparatus, decontamination tents? No-one should have been allowed within 20 feet of his apartment without wearing a biosuit.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-10-09 11:16:32  
Dude, if you cannot perceive any sense of risk from a virus that has a mortality rate of up to 90% in past outbreaks, you're a fool. If someone coughs or sweats on their hand and walks around the city touching doorknobs or anything for that matter, that's a risk of exposure that will last for days. How can you not see the danger in that?

Please continue to stick your head in the ground. It's quite amusing.
They don't have to lick them. If they sweat onto them through their hands, they will be contaminated.
You have a very childlike understanding of how this disease works. Also, if other people here wanted to hear recycled Rush talking points, then they'd listen to his show.
Fenrir.Atheryn said: »
I still don't understand the lack of precautions taken by anyone in dealing with Duncan while he was quarantined. Where were the HAZMAT suits? The protective eyewear, gloves, breathing apparatus, decontamination tents? No-one should have been allowed within 20 feet of his apartment without wearing a biosuit.
Do you mean his family? I feel like this has been answered more than a few times now.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-10-09 11:19:04  
Pleebo, just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean it's a Rush talking point.

But if you truly believe it, then why not show it? Show us a source, preferably from his own radio show, that states this.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-10-09 11:21:34  
I did. 3 pages ago. The Obama/CDC conspiracy crap is almost verbatim.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-10-09 11:24:49  
That's something different.

Where does it say that the CDC is being inept on purpose.

All Rush said was how the virus has hurt the Democrat platform. Nothing in that said that the CDC is being inept on purpose.

(inb4 semantics excuse)
 Fenrir.Atheryn
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2014-10-09 11:33:45  
Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Fenrir.Atheryn said: »
Do you mean his family? I feel like this has been answered more than a few times now.

Him and his family. Anyone being monitored/quarantined should be treated as though they have it and are highly contagious. I understand how Ebola is transmitted, but as I've said before, the outbreak has been underestimated at every turn so far. The most logical way to combat a virus like Ebola is with an overabundance of caution, regardless of what is known about the disease.
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-10-09 11:35:13  
Has the patient in Spain been mentioned?
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-10-09 11:52:26  
It's not logical if it runs counter to what we know about ebola transmission. I imagine an overreaction would make some people feel better, but level 20 super bio-lockdown serves no practical purpose.

Ebola is highly infectious but not so contagious, says experts.

http://www.sciencealert.com.au/news/20140910-26305.html
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-10-09 11:59:57  
EBOLA OH MY GOD ITS EVERYWHERE I THINK I HAD THREE BOWLS OF IT THIS MORNING AND THIS AFRICAN GUY WAS LIKE FIFTY PACES FROM ME DID HE HAVE THE BOLA OH LAWD I COULD BE INFECTED AND SO COULD MY CHILDREN AND MY DOG AND MY WIFE AND OBAMA PROBABLY INTRODUCED THIS VIRUS TO REDUCE THE VIABLE REPUBLICAN VOTERS THAT WERE GOING TO CLOBBER THE DEMS IN THE NEXT ELECTION BUT WHAT IF THE WHOLE THING IS A CONSPIRACY BY THE PATRIOTS TO DECIMATE THE POPULATION I THINK I HEARD BILL CLINTON AND BILL GATES TALK ABOUT THAT OH MY GODDDDDDD THEY BOTH HAVE THE NAME BILL WHICH MEANS THEYRE PROBABLY WORKING TOGETHER TO KILL ALL THE AFRICANS AND POOR PEOPLE AROUND THE WORLD IN ORDER TO MEET THEIR GOAL OF FOUR MILLION PEOPLE ON EARTH BUT THE JEWS MIGHT BE BEHIND THIS BECAUSE THEY NEED BLOOD SACRIFICES TO SURVIVE WHICH IS WHY THEY OWN THE CDC AND THE BANKS AND THE NEWS BUT WHAT I DONT EVEN GET IS WHY ONLY WHITE PEOPLE GOT CURED WITH THE EXPERIMENTAL SERUM BUT THE BLACK DIED IS THIS LIKE A MOVIE OR SOMETHING DID HE TURNED INTO A ZOMBIE OR SOMETHING I THINK I SAW THAT HAPPEN BEFORE ON GLOBALIST TV BUT THEN I WAS ALL LIKE I DUNNO HISPANICS SEEM KINDA IMMUNE TO THIS PLEASE GOD CLOSE THE *** BORDERS SO WE CAN LET THIS PEOPLE ALL DIE OFF SO I CAN GO BACK TO FIGHTING CHEMTRAILS AND MY FISHING CAUSE I SURE DO LOVE ME SOME BASS.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-10-09 12:06:36  
President Obola.
[+]
By volkom 2014-10-09 12:17:58  
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 16 17 18 ... 42 43 44