Ebola Patient Coming To U.S.

Eorzea Time

言語: JP EN FR DE
日本語版のFFXIVPRO利用したい場合は、上記の"JP"を設定して、又はjp.ffxivpro.comを直接に利用してもいいです
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Chatterbox » Ebola Patient Coming to U.S.
Ebola Patient Coming to U.S.
First Page 2 3 ... 19 20 21 ... 42 43 44
 Shiva.Nikolce
サーバ: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2014-10-09 20:31:55  
Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
Botox injections to the nutsack, is that a thing now?

none of us are going to judge you for having it done.
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-10-09 20:54:53  
Asura.Kingnobody said: »
[
How about, I don't know, have a period of time for people to not leave Africa to go to the US instead. Like a layover of 3-4 days, especially if you are coming from an area that has the outbreak.
You have to get a visa to come to the US. In order to get a visa you have to get an appointment, pass an interview, etc. There is a delay in obtaining visa's already.

Most airlines do not let you purchase a ticket until you provide proof of a visa.

You've flown internationally. It is not easy for internationals to get on flights to the US who are not from Western countries.

http://monrovia.usembassy.gov/mobile/nonimmigrant_visas.html
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
サーバ: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-10-09 21:04:10  
Bahamut.Kara said: »
[
How about, I don't know, have a period of time for people to not leave Africa to go to the US instead. Like a layover of 3-4 days, especially if you are coming from an area that has the outbreak.
You have to get a visa to come to the US. In order to get a visa you have to get an appointment, pass an interview, etc. There is a delay in obtaining visa's already.

Most airlines do not let you purchase a ticket until you provide proof of a visa.

You've flown internationally. It is not easy for internationals to get on flights to the US who are not from Western countries.

My wife is a permanent resident and she still has to fill out some paperwork when coming into the US.
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-10-09 21:07:59  
Well and medical examinations have been suspended for immigrant visas.
http://monrovia.usembassy.gov/mobile//immigrant_visas.html
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-10-09 23:11:20  
I think we should look at Raccoon City as an example of what will become of the ebola virus:

All citizens should equip themselves with a knife for protection. Only a knife and maybe some ice rounds.
 Fenrir.Atheryn
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2014-10-10 08:14:59  
[

If you are a citizen or national of a participating VWP (Visa Waiver Program) country, you don't need a visa to enter USA, you only need a passport. Upon arrival in USA, you simply receive an I-94 stamp in your passport which allows you to stay for up to 90 days.

As a westerner, it is exceptionally easy to enter USA. The last time I went to NZ to visit family, I was expecting at least some kind of scrutiny upon returning to USA, especially since I had several declarable items with me including plant seeds and food, which should have raised an immediate red flag. I had spent months applying for permits from the USDA just so I could bring those items into the country - and no-one even asked to see them. I would say that I spent less than 30 seconds at the customs counter - just enough time for them to put my luggage through a scanner, glance at my declaration, stamp my passport and skip on to the next passenger in line without saying a word.

Ironically I have more trouble flying domestic in USA than I do international. It's amazing how non-random those random passenger screenings are at security checkpoints when they see you're using a foreign passport.
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2014-10-10 08:23:24  
Yeah, I used the visa waiver program, the flight company didn't ask me anything, I just bought my tickets and that's it.

When I arrived, they didn't even check my bags, it went very smoothly, same when I left. It was much less of a nightmare than some people make it sound and they didn't even use those full body scanners.

The most troubles I've had was in London before departing, they checked my bag as it was bulky.
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-10-10 08:25:40  
Fenrir.Atheryn said: »
[

If you are a citizen or national of a participating VWP (Visa Waiver Program) country, you don't need a visa to enter USA, you only need a passport. Upon arrival in USA, you simply receive an I-94 stamp in your passport which allows you to stay for up to 90 days.

As a westerner, it is exceptionally easy to enter USA. The last time I went to NZ to visit family, I was expecting at least some kind of scrutiny upon returning to USA, especially since I had several declarable items with me including plant seeds and food, which should have raised an immediate red flag. I had spent months applying for permits from the USDA just so I could bring those items into the country - and no-one even asked to see them. I would say that I spent less than 30 seconds at the customs counter - just enough time for them to put my luggage through a scanner, glance at my declaration, stamp my passport and skip on to the next passenger in line without saying a word.

Ironically I have more trouble flying domestic in USA than I do international. It's amazing how non-random those random passenger screenings are at security checkpoints when they see you're using a foreign passport.
Yeah, for Western citizens it is easy to get on flights. You still have to fill out the ESTA form but that is relatively easy. Plus have your biometrics taken upon arrival.

Everyone else it is a lot more difficult, or I should say a lot more time consuming and expensive.

I understand about customs, it's very odd in many countries.

When we first flew to DK we brought our cat from the US. I had to have him chipped, certified rabies free, and fax paperwork 48hours before departure. Going through the US airport was more of a hassle with him than the Danish side. They demanded I take him out of his carrier in the middle of Atlanta security so they could check him with a wand and walk through the scanner with him. In Denmark we went to the customs desk, showed our paperwork, and were waived through without even a look at him.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
サーバ: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-10-10 08:45:02  
Shiva.Nikolce said: »
Botox injections to the nutsack, is that a thing now?

none of us are going to judge you for having it done.
If Pete Townshend recommends it, it's gotta be worth looking into.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-10-10 08:50:41  
Woke up this morning, still don't have the Ebola.

Sorry to disappoint. Let me shake some sweaty hands and see if I catch it for you.
[+]
 Fenrir.Atheryn
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2014-10-10 08:53:35  

Sorry to disappoint. Let me shake some sweaty hands and see if I catch it for you.

Just go to Walmart, you shouldn't have any trouble finding sweaty people there.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-10-10 08:54:23  

Disappointed!

Officially revoking Texas's title as the Ebola Capital of the U.S.

In other news, I was with some people who visited their family in Nigeria a few weeks ago, and nothing yet.
[+]
 Fenrir.Atheryn
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2014-10-10 11:00:53  
Quote:
CDC could quarantine U.S. citizens for weeks if they refuse Ebola screenings

U.S. citizens who refuse to undergo the new screenings for Ebola at five major American airports could find themselves held in quarantine for up to three weeks, officials told Yahoo News on Thursday. Non-citizens who refuse the screenings could be quarantined or turned away from U.S. soil by U.S. Customs and Border Protection.

The Obama Administration announced on Wednesday that it would soon require passengers from Guinea, Liberia, and Sierra Leone — the countries at the epicenter of the deadly outbreak in West Africa — to answer questions about their potential exposure to the illness and to have their temperature taken upon arrival.

Officials unveiled the new rules hours after the only patient thus far diagnosed with Ebola on U.S. soil, Thomas Eric Duncan, died of the illness. Neighbors said he helped a pregnant woman in Liberia get to a hospital, where she was turned away from a crowded Ebola treatment ward. Liberian government officials said they planned to prosecute him for lying on health forms by denying any contact with an Ebola patient.

The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) may “isolate, quarantine, or issue a conditional release order to any arriving person who is reasonably believed to be infected with or exposed to Ebola,” CDC Public Affairs Director Barbara Reynolds told Yahoo News in an email. “Refusal to be screened or to respond to public health questions would be factors to be considered in formulating a reasonable belief as to whether the individual may be infected with or exposed to Ebola.”

A government official, who requested anonymity to describe the process candidly, said CDC would likely quarantine someone until they agreed to answer questions about their potential exposure to Ebola and have their temperature taken. Failing that, the authorities would consider holding the individual 21 days from their most recent plausible date of exposure to the disease. That’s how long the deadly virus can take to incubate. While the five airports will have special quarantine areas, the official would not say whether that is where recalcitrant citizens would be held.

Reynolds declined to confirm those details but underlined that “our intent is to be measured and protect the public’s health at the same time.”

“CDC has Quarantine Public Health Officers responding almost daily to potential public health threats in airports and are trained to help a traveler to understand what is being done and why every step of the way,” she said.

The CDC asserts the legal authority to take such measures under section 361 of the Public Health Service Act.

The law permits the federal government to take steps “necessary to prevent the introduction, transmission, or spread of communicable diseases from foreign countries into the States or possessions, or from one State or possession into any other State or possession.”

It also allows the government to detain individuals either infected or “reasonably believed” to be infected “for such time and in such manner as may be reasonably necessary.”

(It also empowers the government to carry out “inspection, fumigation, disinfection, sanitation, pest extermination, destruction of animals or articles found to be so infected or contaminated as to be sources of dangerous infection to human beings.”)

“CDC has delegated authority to apprehend, detain, examine, and conditionally release individuals with certain communicable diseases (including Ebola) that are specified in an executive order of the president,” said Reynolds.

Ebola was designated as such under an executive order that then-President George W. Bush signed on April 4, 2003.

On a conference call with reporters on Wednesday, CDC Director Thomas Frieden hinted at the potential downside of refusing to undergo the screening.

“There are legal authorities,” Frieden said. “In public health, most fundamentally there's a right to protect the public. And we can do that by isolating individuals who may be infectious and may be a risk to the public.”

On the same call, Deputy Secretary of Homeland Security Alejandro Mayorkas said his agency has “the authority to take measures with respect to U.S. citizens as well as non-citizens to ensure that the public safety or security is not threatened.”

“That is in the public health arena just as it is in the national security arena,” Mayorkas said.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-10-10 11:38:33  

I woke up this morning with a cough, body aches, fever, and sweating a lot. I think it might be Ebola.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-10-10 11:44:43  
Bahamut.Baconwrap said: »

I woke up this morning with a cough, body aches, fever, and sweating a lot. I think it might be Ebola.
Don't shake anyone's hands then!

Or do!
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-10-10 11:45:45  

Not enough botox in your balls...
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
サーバ: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2014-10-10 12:10:52  

there is a psychosomatic ebola outbreak in Random Thoughts thread you can commiserate with them!
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-10-10 12:20:46  
Did you know that Ebola can be transmitted through your computer screen? The Ebola virus can evolve into an electronic form (known as 3b01@), which can be downloaded and transmitted to an unsuspecting victim.

Nowhere is safe Nausi. You may already be infected.

In other news, you can charge your iphone back to full by placing it in the microwave on high power for five minutes. However, in rare cases this may destroy your iphone, so to be safe only charge it at 30s intervals, with 90s in between charges.
[+]
By Darkalenia 2014-10-10 12:48:28  
nly read the first few posts on Page 1, not going through 20 pages, but damn....I live in Georgia....a bit south of Atlanta, but damn. That's too close.
 Garuda.Chanti
サーバ: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-10-10 13:21:01  
[+]
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-10-10 19:54:31  
Shiva.Nikolce said: »

there is a psychosomatic ebola outbreak in Random Thoughts thread you can commiserate with them!

Lol. I'm actually not joking. Woke up with a horrible flu, possibly laryngitis this morning. Been telling my friends I have Ebola just to *** with them haha
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-10-10 20:53:44  
I told you Bacon, keep the sick sweat balls out of your mouth.
[+]
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-10-10 21:02:09  
Jetackuu said: »
I told you Bacon, keep the sick sweat balls out of your mouth.

[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-10-12 05:00:06  

Disappointed!

Officially revoking Texas's title as the Ebola Capital of the U.S.

In other news, I was with some people who visited their family in Nigeria a few weeks ago, and nothing yet.
I take that back.

Congratulation Texas, you're still the Ebola capital of the U.S.

Quote:
A health care worker at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital has tested positive for Ebola after a preliminary test, the hospital said in a statement.

Confirmatory testing will be conducted by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta.

The employee helped care for Thomas Eric Duncan, the first person diagnosed with Ebola in the United States. Duncan died on Wednesday.

"We knew a second case could be a reality, and we've been preparing for this possibility," Dr. David Lakey, commissioner of the Texas Department of State Health Services, in a statement Sunday morning.
Texas health care worker tests positive for Ebola
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-10-12 05:05:23  
He was sent home on the 26th, that gives her only about 2 weeks, it takes longer than that for it to incubate... Something seems amiss.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-10-12 08:01:21  
Jetackuu said: »
He was sent home on the 26th, that gives her only about 2 weeks, it takes longer than that for it to incubate... Something seems amiss.
No it doesn't.

2 days is the minimum amount of time up to 21 days.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-10-12 11:52:15  
Wonder how American's feel about this article.

America Must Prepare for Ebola Refugees

Quote:
Duncan's success in reaching America and getting advanced health care may spur others to flee if economies and living conditions collapse further.

The tragic journey of Ebola victim Thomas Eric Duncan from Liberia to Texas, where he died at the hospital that initially sent him home undiagnosed, revealed gaps in the screening and preparedness system aimed at detecting Ebola cases. However, no one foresaw how that system could be porous enough to allow a disease carrier to pass undetected from the West Africa Ebola zone to the suburbs of Dallas. Nor did anyone foresee how his missed diagnosis worsened matters by allowing his infection to intensify further.

As the epidemic accelerates, a new onrush may emerge of West African “Ebola refugees” fleeing their homelands’ increasingly hellish conditions. Duncan’s success in reaching America and getting advanced health care may spur others to flee if economies and living conditions collapse further. Others who interacted with active Ebola victims and those who believe themselves infected might evade travel restrictions en masse in order to reach foreign lands with better health care.

With more people falling ill and infecting others, the number of symptom-free carriers there will escalate rapidly. Because Ebola can incubate symptom-free for up to 2-3 weeks, present control measures may not be able to detect those harboring the virus as they board planes or arrive at customs halls. Such controls are keyed to active symptoms, such as fever or bleeding, and will miss those who are symptom-free.

A further vulnerability is the reliance on travelers’ self-reporting of past contacts with Ebola victims. But unknowing or desperate people may misstate their past contact status, and if they are not exhibiting active symptoms even upon questioning, then chances are that they would be allowed to progress to their destinations.

If more asymptomatic Ebola carriers reach industrialized countries, those nations’ medical preparedness will be tested if and when they become sick. In spite of proclamations of readiness, it is uncertain if all health care sites are ready to detect and treat them. Finding Ebola cases relies upon frontline health workers to recognize key signs, to zero in on travel history, and to act quickly
 Bahamut.Milamber
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-10-12 11:57:44  
Wonder how American's feel about this article.

Well, based on the author writing the following:
Quote:
However, no one foresaw how that system could be porous enough to allow a disease carrier to pass undetected from the West Africa Ebola zone to the suburbs of Dallas. Nor did anyone foresee how his missed diagnosis worsened matters by allowing his infection to intensify further.
I feel that the author is an idiot.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-10-12 12:04:34  
Bahamut.Milamber said: »
I feel that the author is an idiot.

The author, Jack Chow, has a pretty impressive background in public health, especially in global health.
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-10-12 13:53:18  
Quote:
As the epidemic accelerates, a new onrush may emerge of West African “Ebola refugees” fleeing their homelands’ increasingly hellish conditions. Duncan’s success in reaching America and getting advanced health care may spur others to flee if economies and living conditions collapse further. Others who interacted with active Ebola victims and those who believe themselves infected might evade travel restrictions en masse in order to reach foreign lands with better health care.

It takes money and time to get a visa to the US. Longer than the incubation period.

Duncan was approved for a visa in August after being turned down multiple times previously.

The more likely scenario is people fleeing to other parts of Africa, Europe, and Middle East. Especially since those areas are easier to reach illegally if there are quarantines in place. If enough cases like that happens it will be Europeans and others who bring ebola to the US since there are far less travel restrictions in place for Western citizens.

This (among many reasons) is why Western countries should be trying to get this outbreak under control now.
First Page 2 3 ... 19 20 21 ... 42 43 44