Ebola Patient Coming To U.S.

Eorzea Time

言語: JP EN FR DE
日本語版のFFXIVPRO利用したい場合は、上記の"JP"を設定して、又はjp.ffxivpro.comを直接に利用してもいいです
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Chatterbox » Ebola Patient Coming to U.S.
Ebola Patient Coming to U.S.
First Page 2 3 ... 23 24 25 ... 42 43 44
By Enuyasha 2014-10-15 02:39:08  
Bahamut.Baconwrap said: »
I'm not quite sure what you're trying to link. Hand-washing protocols?
I would assume section II.E. Down a paragraph then onward :<
 Bahamut.Kara
サーバ: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-10-15 03:50:24  
Since the ebola outbreak in West Africa started the bbc has been posting this picture in most articles.
http://www.bbc.com/news/health-29518703

This is what the health workers are wearing in West Africa. Granted, those workers have to be more cautious because they are in the field rather then in a, supposedly, more steril and cleaner environment.

So I'm not sure why hospitals either a) didn't ask if they were confused or b) use google

The CDC has a detailed recommendations for protective clothing. P. 134 figures, p. 125 is description of barrier precautions. P. 134 explains how to disrobe properly.

When I read the CDC statement I didn't perceive him blaming the nurse so much as explaining that somewhere protocols broke down. Where? That is the question and something the CDC has to figure out to prevent the next contamination. (E.g It could be cleaning procedure wasn't followed with medical devices).

I think Mil was referring to hand washing (not sure though). Most people do not follow proper hand washing techniques. My in laws (infectious disease nurse and a surgeon) are highly critical of US hospital cleanliness and protocol techniques, and it varies from hospital to hospital, staff to staff.

Example: One thing that bothered my mother-in-law when she was retracing an outbreak at a hospital would be nurses going to wash hands and
A) not using soap
B) not scrubbing for a min. Of 30 seconds
C) hospitals that used sinks where you had to turn the handle to start the water rather than a foot press. If you don't disinfect the handle after using, then re-wash hands, the whole hand washing process is tainted
D) using alcohol when their hands looked dirty
E) touching items, clothing, or face before washing.
F) any of the above or other

Health personnel are the most at risk and they need to pay attention all the time.
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-10-15 04:28:03  
Second Texas health worker 'tests positive'
By Jetackuu 2014-10-15 04:46:42  
So can we let Texas secede now?
 Fenrir.Atheryn
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2014-10-15 07:08:58  

Obviously the CDC protocols are not enough.
By Jetackuu 2014-10-15 07:24:43  
Obviously the hospital workers aren't taking appropriate measures to ensure their own safety...
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-10-15 07:46:53  
Fenrir.Atheryn said: »

Or they aren't being followed.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2014-10-15 07:50:52  
Bahamut.Kara said: »

I think it's really amusing that people who hate unions are siding with what is essentially a union defending the nurse for potentially having made an error, just because it fits their narrative.

Meanwhile if a union defends someone for getting hurt on the job, they'll do an about-face and say obviously it's the "personal responsibility" of that worker and the union is just a money-grubbing entity trying to take money from a valuable provider of jobs.

Edit: I realize, being pro-Union, this comes across as me trying to push my own point here, but I really don't want to derail. I'm just saying it's another example of people cherrypicking things to fit their narrative, and yes. It happens on all sides of these arguments. We as Americans learn very well from our talking heads how to play this game.
 Fenrir.Atheryn
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2014-10-15 07:56:52  

Or they aren't stringent enough.

There is obviously a point of exposure somewhere - either the protective gear isn't offering enough protection, or the staff are being exposed to Ebola while removing the protective gear after leaving the patient.

I have to wonder, what are the CDC's protocols for dealing with exposed gear? Are staff being decontaminated before removing their gear, or are they just carefully taking it off and disposing of it? Somehow, I'm guessing the latter.
 Valefor.Slore
サーバ: Valefor
user: Slore
By Valefor.Slore 2014-10-15 08:01:00  
Ramyrez said: »

I think it's really amusing that people who hate unions are siding with what is essentially a union defending the nurse for potentially having made an error, just because it fits their narrative.

Meanwhile if a union defends someone for getting hurt on the job, they'll do an about-face and say obviously it's the "personal responsibility" of that worker and the union is just a money-grubbing entity trying to take money from a valuable provider of jobs.

Edit: I realize, being pro-Union, this comes across as me trying to push my own point here, but I really don't want to derail. I'm just saying it's another example of people cherrypicking things to fit their narrative, and yes. It happens on all sides of these arguments. We as Americans learn very well from our talking heads how to play this game.

I think unions defend more of those that aren't good employees. All my dealings with CSEA they defended and protected mainly sub par workers. We had one where a dump truck driver fell asleep while they were grinding a road and he was spose to be following the grinder. Grinder moved forward and threw road grindings all over truck. They went to fire him for the damage and sleeping on the job as it was not his first offense. Union told him to say that he wasn't sleeping but that he was praying. He got to keep his job.
By Ramyrez 2014-10-15 08:04:39  

There is obviously a point of exposure somewhere - either the protective gear isn't offering enough protection, or the staff are being exposed to Ebola while removing the protective gear after leaving the patient.

I have to wonder, what are the CDC's protocols for dealing with exposed gear? Are staff being decontaminated before removing their gear, or are they just carefully taking it off and disposing of it? Somehow, I'm guessing the latter.

I love how the potential for "A little from column 'A', a little from column 'B'" just isn't acceptable. We have to have one person/entity to blame to fit the narrative.

Maybe their protocols are good enough, but the way they've been relayed is unclear? Maybe it really is just people being careless and not even realizing it?

Maybe it's not just airborne, but aggressively seeking hosts now and the universe is doomed.

*deep breath*

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEED.

[+]
 Fenrir.Atheryn
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2014-10-15 08:09:03  
I love how the potential for "A little from column 'A', a little from column 'B'" just isn't acceptable. We have to have one person/entity to blame to fit the narrative.

I'm not saying hospitals are following the CDC's guidelines to the letter - maybe they are, maybe they aren't. But keep in mind, typical hospitals aren't versed in dealing with viruses like Ebola, so they'll be looking to the CDC for guidance, since this is essentially the CDC's ballpark.
By Jetackuu 2014-10-15 08:14:04  
No but they usually deal with ***like MRSA which is much easier to get. Ebola isn't easily transmitted... (in comparison to most things we're familiar with anyway).
By Ramyrez 2014-10-15 08:45:23  
Jetackuu said: »
No but they usually deal with ***like MRSA which is much easier to get. Ebola isn't easily transmitted... (in comparison to most things we're familiar with anyway).

MRSA is all over the place. Unless you're a recluse I bet you walk by people with it a few times a week and don't even realize it. And the more urban you are, the more likely it is. Public transportation in major cities is like a disease orgy.

Yet somehow the vast majority of us get by just fine.

Imagine that.
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
サーバ: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2014-10-15 08:53:57  

FOR NOW!!!
By Ramyrez 2014-10-15 09:13:19  
Siren.Mosin said: »

FOR NOW!!!

[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-10-15 09:19:29  
The Bilderbergs have made their move. Make your time, for the apocalypse is nigh.
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-10-15 09:39:55  

2 (3?) patients were treated for ebola in the US before the patient in TX.

Those hospitals didn't have staff catching ebola afterwards.

Hospital staff have to watch and beware of HAI's on a daily basis, as well as, a variety of other contaigious diseases. If they are confused, concerned, or unsure they should call up the CDC and ask a question. Or talk with the CDC people that were on hand.

If medical personnel feel uncomfortable asking for clarification on protocol they should go into another line of work. That sounds harsh, but this is literally about life and death (and everything inbetween).

You can find CDC protocol on their website.

In West Africa because decontamination chambers are not available they are:

However, accidents happen, people are tired/careless/distracted, and health workers still get infected.
[+]
 Fenrir.Atheryn
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2014-10-15 11:07:30  
Quote:
US: 2nd hospital worker with Ebola took flight

NEW YORK (AP) Health officials are alerting airline passengers who were on the same flight as a Texas nurse who was diagnosed with Ebola the next day.

The 132 passengers were on Frontier Airlines flight 1143 from Cleveland to Dallas-Fort Worth on Monday.

The hospital worker was involved in the care of a Liberian man who died of Ebola last week at a Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital in Dallas.

The airplane's crew said the nurse had no symptoms of Ebola during the flight. But the next morning she developed a fever and on Tuesday night tested positive for Ebola.

Infected Ebola patients are not considered contagious until they have symptoms.

But the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is asking the passengers to call the health agency so they can be monitored.
By volkom 2014-10-15 11:18:42  
Infected ebola patients are not considered contagious....

why is that and how do they know that? If someone were to have the virus but not show any symptoms, can they still spread it through human fluid (sweat,spit,nose juice etc)?
 Fenrir.Atheryn
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2014-10-15 11:29:08  
It's because that's how past strains of Ebola have behaved.

It can take up to 21 days for symptoms to appear, and the virus is only contagious once that happens.
 Siren.Mosin
By Siren.Mosin 2014-10-15 11:39:52  
you're in new zealand, what do you care?

all you guys would have to do is shut down the airports and watch the world burn...
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-10-15 11:40:50  
Until an infectuous penguin arrives on their shores and spreads the doom!
 Fenrir.Atheryn
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2014-10-15 11:40:58  
I'm from New Zealand. I live in USA.
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
By Siren.Mosin 2014-10-15 11:41:30  
I'm from New Zealand. I live in USA.

go home, ***! this place is doomed.

lol
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-10-15 11:48:14  
volkom said: »
Infected ebola patients are not considered contagious....

why is that and how do they know that? If someone were to have the virus but not show any symptoms, can they still spread it through human fluid (sweat,spit,nose juice etc)?

End of day...answer is yes. For instance male patients who survive have Ebola present in their semen from something lime 3-6months after the infection regressed.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-10-15 11:51:02  
Now that's a hard load to swallow.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2014-10-15 11:53:28  
Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
Now that's a hard load to swallow.

[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-10-15 12:01:01  
If what the annoymous nurses are alleging is true, this had nothing to do with following protocols (since nothing was followed on a standard basis, it seems) and everything to do with idoits/incompetence.

US nurses' union accuses hospital of lax safety protocol in Ebola case
Statement from US nurses’ union alleges Liberian Ebola patient was left in the open for hours and that nurses had only flimsy medical equipment
[+]
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-10-15 12:08:11  

Well the nurse aren't members of the union. It's a private hospital, like the co president mentioned the private hospital has special privileges regarding protocols versus public hospitals.
First Page 2 3 ... 23 24 25 ... 42 43 44