Dev Tracker - news, discussions
First Page 2 3 ... 44 45 46 ... 201 202 203
 Bahamut.Vinedrius
サーバ: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Devrom
By Bahamut.Vinedrius 2015-12-16 07:04:34  
Carbuncle.Rasalgethi said: »
Annyone know what this video talk about exactly?
This look amazing

Just some concept arts scrapped throughout the years. In order; I caught the word "Tartarus" where they talk about that picture > Rhazowa maybe? I couldn't catch a familiar area name at that part > No idea > Hades > Balamor > Dragoon AF3 initial design, note the feet armor design which was used years later for delve shark feet with different texture.
[+]
By FaeQueenCory 2015-12-16 07:08:34  
Anyone who thinks other people getting something that they have in a game is a negative thing....
Especially something as trivial as Afterglow...

Is extremely, childishly selfish.
And should probably evaluate their life if being the most super special snowflake in a fake environment is something that plagues their psyche.
(Cause it's not like Afterglow is game changing, nor were Afterglow variants better than the same level normal versions. It's 90% cosmetic and 2% function and 8% penis.)

[+]
 Phoenix.Scarve
サーバ: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Scarve 2015-12-16 07:53:04  
So, then Pandemonium Warden was the gate keeper for Tartarus? That's pretty sweet.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Afania
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2015-12-16 08:01:46  
FaeQueenCory said: »
Anyone who thinks other people getting something that they have in a game is a negative thing....

And should probably evaluate their life if being the most super special snowflake in a fake environment is something that plagues their psyche.
(Cause it's not like Afterglow is game changing, nor were Afterglow variants better than the same level normal versions. It's 90% cosmetic and 2% function and 8% penis.)

I don't understand the logic behind this argument though. Not having AG doesn't hurt a player's performance in any way, what's so "selfish" about defending for AG's rarity? Nobody is being hurt without AG. You can still kill stuff and get party invite just fine without it. So why's it "selfish" to think that AG only belongs to 1% of player's base?

Also if you think defending for an item's rarity in a MMO is "selfish", then you have no idea how MMORPG works. MMORPG is ALL about rarity and special snowflake achievements. Having a long term goal that serves as special snowflake accomplishment is more beneficial for the game's life span IMO.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-12-16 08:10:03  
Entire game is a "look at me" so why would it be any different in 2015.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-12-16 09:12:26  
Nothing screams ego and look at me than a superficial glowing weapon. I mean come on !

They made afterglow relic for the stereotypical MMO type player that has no life besides FFXI.
 Ragnarok.Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2015-12-16 11:04:03  
Asura.Floppyseconds said: »
Ragnarok.Afania said: »

I don't understand the logic behind this argument though. Not having AG doesn't hurt a player's performance in any way, what's so "selfish" about defending for AG's rarity? Nobody is being hurt without AG. You can still kill stuff and get party invite just fine without it. So why's it "selfish" to think that AG only belongs to 1% of player's base?

Also if you think defending for an item's rarity in a MMO is "selfish", then you have no idea how MMORPG works. MMORPG is ALL about rarity and special snowflake achievements. Having a long term goal that serves as special snowflake accomplishment is more beneficial for the game's life span IMO.

That is like telling a child his parents are rare

REM, KC, Hocho, etc aren't status pieces anymore. So what, we had to move to glowing?
Anyone who thinks they are somebody in FFXI is really a nobody because it is just a game. Therefore status pieces have nothing to do with status, and everything to do with ego.

Yes and my point is that that's what MMORPG are for. MMORPGs are meant to have "rare items" that only few people have so people keep playing the game for as long as possible. It has been the golden rule of MMORPG ever since it exist I believe.

Otherwise name me 1 MMORPG that's not F2P that does not have any rare item in game. I doubt there are many titles out there that has 0 rare items in game, simply because this "only hardcore players gets good stuff" formula works so well in MMO.

Since most of the MMO(none F2P one at least) has rare items, wouldn't it a bit "selfish" to call others selfish if they simply defend for how MMO works?

Also all that "everything to do with ego" talk, coming from a player with big BLU ego, kinda ironic :p Not saying ego is bad, but don't you send out "look at me" msg in game and in FFXI community all the time as well? So why label those status items so negatively?
[+]
By Draylo 2015-12-16 11:12:22  

REM, KC, Hocho, etc aren't status pieces anymore. So what, we had to move to glowing?
Anyone who thinks they are somebody in FFXI is really a nobody because it is just a game. Therefore status pieces have nothing to do with status, and everything to do with ego.

You say that like it isn't common, a lot of people like to stand out in MMOs. Just because people are playing games doesn't mean they stop being people.
[+]
 Leviathan.Protey
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Protey
By Leviathan.Protey 2015-12-16 11:21:43  

You are interchanging game life with IRL. The status is in the game, therefore they are not "nobody", they are "somebody", in the game. By your argument, then you might as well say those who win the Superbowl or World Series are nobodies, because it's just a game.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2015-12-16 11:22:56  
Draylo said: »

You say that like it isn't common, a lot of people like to stand out in MMOs. Just because people are playing games doesn't mean they stop being people.

Let's get real, most of the FFXI players like to send out "look at me" msg in game and in community. They don't necessary want to work on AG and may view AG as an item not worth the effort, but they do send out "look at me" msg in this game very often to show off personal accomplishment at one point of time.

Look at all the parse wars, REM completion SS, epeen WS SS, speed run vid, "my hmp progress today" posts on this website, solo videos and REM obtained in bazaar comment, IMO those actions are all associate with wanting to be the unique "look at me" snowflake in this game. In fact at least 50% of the FFXI players I've met that does endgame regularly, bragged about his/her personal accomplishment at one point of time.

And so what? That's the point of playing MMO. MMO is all about personal accomplishment. Unless you have never show off a personal accomplishment in this game in front of others, calling others "selfish" for wanting personal accomplishment is a bit over the top. I'm willing to admit I show off my persona accomplishment a lot, therefore I'll never call others "selfish" for wanting his/her afterglow to stay rare, I really have no right to.
[+]
By briko 2015-12-16 11:36:12  
Can't wait to show off my afterglow in February.
By Draylo 2015-12-16 11:42:58  
briko said: »

When everybody glows, nobody glows.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2015-12-16 11:43:37  
I think you guys are having a worthwhile discussion, but at this point it doesn't belong in the Dev Tracker thread. Please make a new one and stop cluttering the Dev tracker thread.
[+]
By briko 2015-12-16 11:45:28  

If everyone's unique, aren't we all the same?
 Ragnarok.Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2015-12-16 11:47:33  

Really need that damn glow filter to prevent all the lag, or at least let us switch on/off the glow effect like the job master stars.
By Clinpachi 2015-12-16 12:14:16  
Leviathan.Protey said: »

You are interchanging game life with IRL. The status is in the game, therefore they are not "nobody", they are "somebody", in the game. By your argument, then you might as well say those who win the Superbowl or World Series are nobodies, because it's just a game.

This would be a good point if this game was actually popular and top tier like the actual NFL was. Afterglow puts you on an NFL level? it's more like being the state champions of the pee wee softball team. You want to celebrate with your trophy and feel important or accomplished but in the end are you really?

I've said time and time again that it's a little premature to get upset. For all we know you'll get to skip a bunch of the trial process everyone else has to grind out. It might pan out in the end. We don't know yet.

Point blank you got to have it before everyone else did for a little while. That's really neat. It's a tale you can be proud of and tell your many friends.

But like all rare and hard to get items (Kraken Club, Defending Ring, ect.), Your time in whatever spotlight you think you are in is up. The age of being a single special person or select few to own something is pretty much gone at this point. That is the nature of a game life-cycle.

tl;dr: It's gonna be ok champ~

EDIT: This might sound a little demeaning, but I didn't intend for it to, I like my pee wee team~ :3
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
サーバ: Sylph
user: JeanPaul
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2015-12-16 12:23:20  
Considering there are two options to get the boosted weapons:

1) Get Afterglow (not an option for Ergon, though), which is slow but easy in terms of content difficulty
2) Some new thing, I suspect would be shorter but harder in terms of content difficulty

It really comes down to which sounds like less of a hassle. Unless they add a thing where I need 50 pristine yggrete crystals to afterglow Epeolatry, I'm stuck with #2, so like, whatever.
 Ragnarok.Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2015-12-16 12:26:41  
Clinpachi said: »

This would be a good point if this game was actually popular and top tier like the actual NFL was. Afterglow puts you on an NFL level? it's more like being the state champions of the pee wee softball team. You want to celebrate with your trophy and feel important or accomplished but in the end are you really?

I'm pretty sure those who spend the time to AG a weapon were well aware their accomplishment are not recognized irl. At least I was 100% aware that nobody gives a ***about mythics irl when I made it. I wasn't expecting to be "somebody" when I made it, I just wanted to finish the quest and complete the game like beating a single player game. After I was done SE changed the requirement, then I feel like an idiot because I could have just wait until 2014 and 2015 and save a lot of time.

If you can't understand this kind of frustration, then I really don't know what to say.

None of us are upset about accomplishment not being recognized irl though. I'm not sure why's this "somebody v.s nobody irl" argument kept coming up over and over.
By Clinpachi 2015-12-16 12:26:45  
Sylph.Jeanpaul said: »

1) Get Afterglow (not an option for Ergon, though), which is slow but easy in terms of content difficulty
2) Some new thing, I suspect would be shorter but harder in terms of content difficulty

It really comes down to which sounds like less of a hassle. Unless they add a thing where I need 50 pristine yggrete crystals to afterglow Epeolatry, I'm stuck with #2, so like, whatever.

To be honest they need to take the training wheels back off and go hardcore with it. Make me get 15,000 more alexandrite or something. Make me get 50 hundred pieces from dynamis.

Let's stop being pussies with this minor trial stuff lol.

Give the afterglow people a bone and break a chunk off for them.

(I'm probably going to regret this statement if it comes true lol)
By Clinpachi 2015-12-16 12:29:36  

I'm pretty sure those who spend the time to AG a weapon were well aware their accomplishment are not recognized irl. At least I was 100% aware that nobody gives a ***about mythics irl when I made it. I wasn't expecting to be "somebody" when I made it, I just wanted to finish the quest and complete the game like beating a single player game. After I was done SE changed the requirement, then I feel like an idiot because I could have just wait until 2014 and 2015 and save a lot of time.

If you can't understand this kind of frustration, then I really don't know what to say.

None of us are upset about accomplishment not being recognized irl though. I'm not sure why's this "somebody v.s nobody irl" argument kept coming up over and over.

Remember earlier when you spoke about the game being an MMORPG and how you know what to expect concerning rare items?

[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Ragnarok.Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2015-12-16 12:30:14  

To be honest they need to take the training wheels back off and go hardcore with it. Make me get 15,000 more alexandrite or something. Make me get 50 hundred pieces from dynamis.

15000 alex does not come anywhere close to AG's effort though :p
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
サーバ: Cerberus
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2015-12-16 12:30:22  

That's not hardcore, that's just time consuming.
[+]
By Clinpachi 2015-12-16 12:33:00  

15000 alex does not come anywhere close to AG's effort though :p

So riddle me this. What would be "fair" to somebody with an afterglow? 1,000,000 alexandrite? Give afterglow people half off or soemthing?

I mean out of curiosity, what would it ACTUALLY take to make you happy with this situation?
 Ragnarok.Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2015-12-16 12:33:12  

Remember earlier when you spoke about the game being an MMORPG and how you know what to expect concerning rare items?

I expect rare items only being obtainable by the minority, I don't think I've ever expect MMORPG to hand out items to everyone?
By Clinpachi 2015-12-16 12:35:04  

I expect rare items only being obtainable by the minority, I don't think I've ever expect MMORPG to hand out items to everyone?

And they generally are, for a limited time only. Until new content comes out and it's adjusted to make old stuff easier to get.

The game is at the end of it's development lifecycle for the most part. There isn't anywhere else to go aside from making things easier to get without a bulk of NEW content to obtain.

Is this your first MMO Armageddon? :3

Post deleted by User.
By dustinfoley 2015-12-16 12:38:10  
I have never played an mmo where only 1% of the population has access to any item forever.

It may be a timed thing, where 1 guild/ls etc clears the content during this expansion, but as soon as the next expansion rolls around other guilds/ls proceed to get all those rare items from the previous expansion as power creeps up.

As it stands, AG people worked harder for a very minor buff, and they are losing that slight (if any) edge. At this point in the game though i am happy SE is even re-re-re-updating RME to keep them relevant, since like so many others have said, stuff that you can kill with 20 minutes of worth out classes a lot of RME, and still will after the update honestly.
By Clinpachi 2015-12-16 12:42:51  
I wasn't just toting my Nomad cap around as a point to make. I actually loved what it represented. The only people that had them were the attendees of the 2007 fan festival in Anaheim. Was never obtainable otherwise. It reminded me of all the cool people in this game I met in real life. It reminded me of meeting Tanaka and the rest of the team.

It bummed me out for a little bit that everyone can get it via mogpell now.

I'm more bummed that people who pick that item don't get the experience and amazing journey I had along with it than anything else. It's just a silly item that just teleports your party home. Cosmetic ect.

I'm ok and not going to throw a proverbial fit because everyone can have it now. It's special to me and that is all that mattered in the end.

If that is how you view your afterglow then that's awesome. But if you view your afterglow as an entitlement and think nobody else should be allowed to have it... well.. I don't even really have to tell you what that is.
First Page 2 3 ... 44 45 46 ... 201 202 203