フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Monk » MNK vs Sky gods
MNK vs Sky gods
First Page 2
 Pandemonium.Treppe
サーバ: Pandemonium
Game: FFXI
user: Treppe
By Pandemonium.Treppe 2009-08-21 11:41:21  
Im having a problem cause I love playing mnk and I also have a SAM. MY SAM/THF does really great damage on sky gods with no brd songs (limited brds now a days so tank party gets them). But I try going MNK on a sky god and if im not Chi-blasting for 1450+ im doing little damage on melee. Do MNks needs brd songs to melee successfully on sky gods if not whats best food to eat. I eat acc food, but wondering if i should just eat meat. i know Pizza best of both worlds but what do you guys think.
 Pandemonium.Nerevar
user:
By Pandemonium.Nerevar 2009-08-21 11:45:30
 Delete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

User submitted image

Get yourself a nice Dragon Kick/ Howling Fist setup and sub THF.
 Pandemonium.Treppe
By Pandemonium.Treppe 2009-08-21 11:56:47  
Nerevar said:
User submitted image

Oh ok, i remember having /thf setup back when i was lvl 60 stoped usuing it almost immeadiatly. whats the stat modifers for those to WS again. And how can i increase over all damage when gaining TP since mnks do more DOT 70/30 melee/ws. or is melee damage always going to be low for mnks vs sky gods.
 Remora.Laphine
サーバ: Remora
By Remora.Laphine 2009-08-21 12:19:57  
Yeah, pretty much it. Dot damage will suck on gods, especially without brd support, not only for mnks, but for any dd. A nice 1 hit ws setup stacked with sata will be your friend there.
 Pandemonium.Nerevar
user:
By Pandemonium.Nerevar 2009-08-21 12:22:10

You're gunna have to full-time Footwork, so melee damage will be low.

When I used to fight Sky gods on MNK I would start a Boost cycle when they would be popping soon. TP was built on the pots down below with Meteor Cesti.

After the initial 300 TP Dragon Kick, swap into Martial Knuckles and continue to SATA Howling Fist for the rest of the fight (while keeping Footwork up).

Dune boots help immensely for this type of damage dealing. STR and VIT mods on HF/DK.
 Fairy.Vegetto
サーバ: Fairy
user: Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-08-21 12:24:22  
I usually go w/ pizza and use my DD build. My WS dmg isn't the best but I usually parse in the top 1-3 on each god in my shell as mnk/war. (This is including the blms sams ect)
 Caitsith.Katas
サーバ: Caitsith
user: Katas
By Caitsith.Katas 2009-08-21 12:25:19  
There is only 2.5 "effective" uses of MNK in sky.

1. Farming waters
2. Burning Kirin in less then 2 mins
2.5. - Chiblast...which no one does anymore.

I had Mnk as the first job and loved it, but MNK in sky doesnt do it. I exchanged my pretty good Chiblast set(on item sets) for Cannonball gear. Also stopped going to Sky now that I have everything. Sorry to say it but thats how it is, only farming its ok, against gods its LOL.
 Pandemonium.Treppe
By Pandemonium.Treppe 2009-08-21 12:27:34  
wow thanks, and best thing about SATA also i wont have to worry as much on acc. at least for the first hit @_@ of the WS so i can focus more on Stat modifers. i try some gear swap stuff see how high i can balance STR and VIT
 Odin.Blazza
サーバ: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-08-21 12:32:34  
Katas said:
There is only 2.5 "effective" uses of MNK in sky.

1. Farming waters
2. Burning Kirin in less then 2 mins
2.5. - Chiblast...which no one does anymore.

I had Mnk as the first job and loved it, but MNK in sky doesnt do it. I exchanged my pretty good Chiblast set(on item sets) for Cannonball gear. Also stopped going to Sky now that I have everything. Sorry to say it but thats how it is, only farming its ok, against gods its LOL.

Nerevar said:
User submitted image

You can beat that damage with cannonball without 2-hour? I sure as hell know I can't, and even with 2-hour it requires DEF food and double minne from bard.
 Caitsith.Katas
By Caitsith.Katas 2009-08-21 12:40:23  
2800 cannonball with 2hr, without is 1300ish depending on buffs and food ect. Feel free to check out cannonball set on profile. I am not breaking his dreams, I love dragonkicking the shiiiii out of stuff. I even spent the time on guard and black belt, and now it collect dust unless to burn KV or salv but also have sam so even then meh. Back to the main point, he did that with 300 tp, plus counters for SA which is 1 min. Chances of him getting 300 on genbu/byakko/ ect during the fight again are limited. Add that with the good chance they start the fight with a boom he either dies or thats the most damage he is gonna do. Overall with being a mnk myself I will say my blu will do more damage then his mnk on any given god. But as far as what he has avail, I would be choosing SAM over the Mnk even with his given DK's.

Edit: also the cannonball was on byakko as well before my latest setup. But I leveled Blu because cannon was better then chiblast. 30 seconds vs 3 minutes
 Pandemonium.Nerevar
user:
By Pandemonium.Nerevar 2009-08-21 12:42:15

Treppe said:
wow thanks, and best thing about SATA also i wont have to worry as much on acc. at least for the first hit @_@ of the WS so i can focus more on Stat modifers. i try some gear swap stuff see how high i can balance STR and VIT

No need to go for a balance. Just pack on the STR and put a bunch of VIT wherever you can't fit too much STR.
 Pandemonium.Treppe
By Pandemonium.Treppe 2009-08-21 12:44:28  
Nerevar said:
No need to go for a balance. Just pack on the STR and put a bunch of VIT wherever you can't fit too much STR.

oh ok, will do then. But for head gear 5 STR or 15 VIT what would you choose.
 Fairy.Tbest
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-08-21 12:46:09  
I'd go 15 Vit from the Genbu. Imo, (no I haven't tested it) I'd say if you can get 2x+ the amount of Vit than strength, go for Vit.
 Pandemonium.Nerevar
user:
By Pandemonium.Nerevar 2009-08-21 12:47:35

You won't be able to eyeball a difference between Shura and Genbu's, but I've used Shura ever since I got it. That Dragon Kick SS was with Genbu's kabutops.
 Pandemonium.Treppe
By Pandemonium.Treppe 2009-08-21 12:50:30  
Katas said:
Treppe let me know when you have your setup posted, feel free to check mine out which used to be good back in the day.

Ok im the middle of making one now, i'll check yours though to pick up soms tips ^_^
 Fairy.Yakutatazu
By Fairy.Yakutatazu 2009-08-21 12:52:02  
Something to remember though, no H2H WS is single hit. They are all 2 hits unless otherwise stated. Acc is needed more on ones like DK or HF than a SAM would need on Y/G/K. You will notice a dmg reduction when you only hit 1/2, and it will be very obvious when your tp return is 1/2 normal as well.
 Caitsith.Katas
By Caitsith.Katas 2009-08-21 12:52:04  
Destroyers
Genbu
osode
foragers>smile>cuch whatever avail
gorget if you have one
alky
warwolf
cassie
triumph
flame/soil if trying to balance
rajas
dune boots
bibiki shell or JR Mus Chak

i think thats my setup, at work and evidently deleted my DK set on profile
 Odin.Blazza
サーバ: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-08-21 12:52:48  
Katas said:
2800 cannonball with 2hr, without is 1300ish depending on buffs and food ect. Feel free to check out cannonball set on profile. I am not breaking his dreams, I love dragonkicking the shiiiii out of stuff. I even spent the time on guard and black belt, and now it collect dust unless to burn KV or salv but also have sam so even then meh. Back to the main point, he did that with 300 tp, plus counters for SA which is 1 min. Chances of him getting 300 on genbu/byakko/ ect during the fight again are limited. Add that with the good chance they start the fight with a boom he either dies or thats the most damage he is gonna do. Overall with being a mnk myself I will say my blu will do more damage then his mnk on any given god.

Edit: also the cannonball was on byakko as well before my latest setup. But I leveled Blu because cannon was better then chiblast. 30 seconds vs 3 minutes

Yeah, your cannonball build is very close to mine, probably a little better. My point though is that while I don't know how often a MNK/THF can push out those sorts of numbers, I know that blu can only do ~1300 tops every 2 minutes (probably about 8-900 every other minute?) with the exceptional 2-hour that pushes 3k. In between SA, blu is next to useless on gods except for diamondhide and emergency cures, so it seems to me from the very limited information in this thread that MNK would be better DoT.

Ie: Not trying to put you down, just trying to work out which is better.

Also, I much prefer Vertical Cleave over Cannonball, simply because you don't need a brd to give you double minne to achieve similar numbers. Completely on my own (no brd) I've done around 13-1400 damage with CASA Vertical Cleave, and around 6-700 damage with just SA. Not sure I've even tried with 2-hour to be honest <_<

Having said that, anything you can get over 1k with on a level 85+ mob is always going to be fine.
 Seraph.Helixx
サーバ: Seraph
user: Helixx
By Seraph.Helixx 2009-08-21 12:55:24  
MNK is so-so in sky. You "can" do good non-chi_blast damagem but you need to be geared way above sky standart. Otherwise its either /DRK or /THF or /WAR.

/DRK only if you have 3 whm healing you. Insane damage but 80% certain death.
/THF and HF/DK if your PLD will hold mob so you can get behind its back.
/WAR if you have capped acc.

I once outdamaged my LS (against RNG and SAM's) on byakko zerg as MNK/war, but that was only time i came MNK to sky. Still prefer my BRD >> MNK.

Hint: Never fulltime Footwork it is baaaaad!
 Bahamut.Rumaha
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Rumaha
By Bahamut.Rumaha 2009-08-21 12:55:38  
What if a brd gaves you double str or vit or Str and Vit (higher) etudes?*

i think u can get more then +20 from a double(i think they stack right?) and u can get like +15~ just from 2nd tier.

For cannonball > Minne is my question, im sure it really helps DK too lol.
 Pandemonium.Treppe
By Pandemonium.Treppe 2009-08-21 12:58:03  

Katas said:
Destroyers
Genbu
osode
foragers>smile>cuch whatever avail
gorget if you have one
alky
warwolf
cassie
triumph
flame/soil if trying to balance
rajas
dune boots
bibiki shell or JR Mus Chak

i think thats my setup, at work and evidently deleted my DK set on profile

yeah just noticed myself you must have deleted it.
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-08-21 13:00:13  
Yakutatazu said:
Something to remember though, no H2H WS is single hit. They are all 2 hits unless otherwise stated. Acc is needed more on ones like DK or HF than a SAM would need on Y/G/K. You will notice a dmg reduction when you only hit 1/2, and it will be very obvious when your tp return is 1/2 normal as well.

Well, missing a hit isn't going to be TOO bad, unless you miss the first hit. The first hit of any WS gets the acc bonus, not just 1hit ws. That being said the 2nd hit helps, but it isn't the most important thing to worry about.

The reason for it being the first hit gets hit w/ the FTP multiplier while the 2nd hit is always going to have an FTP multiplier of 1.0

For example, if you have WS gorget, howling at 100/200/300 TP is going to be
2.60 2.85 3.10
for multipliers, which make the 1st hit have a lot more DMG than the first. (Which is why if you miss the 2nd hit you can still get potentially great damage while if you miss the 1st, your damage is reduced to ***).
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-08-21 13:01:04  
Helixx said:
MNK is so-so in sky. You "can" do good non-chi_blast damagem but you need to be geared way above sky standart. Otherwise its either /DRK or /THF or /WAR.

I once outdamaged my LS (against RNG and SAM's) on byakko zerg as MNK/war, but that was only time i came MNK to sky. Still prefer my BRD >> MNK.

Lol, ik'm always the first dead on byakko when i go mnk/war
 Caitsith.Katas
By Caitsith.Katas 2009-08-21 13:01:51  
Mistake take out Heims and replace with Brutal, only one i dont have that one on is Asuran, ill load it up when i get home for ya if you want.
 Pandemonium.Treppe
By Pandemonium.Treppe 2009-08-21 13:08:45  
Helixx said:

I'll try all 3 set ups see how it works out thanks ^_^
 Caitsith.Katas
By Caitsith.Katas 2009-08-21 13:11:13  
Blazza said:
Katas said:
2800 cannonball with 2hr, without is 1300ish depending on buffs and food ect. Feel free to check out cannonball set on profile. I am not breaking his dreams, I love dragonkicking the shiiiii out of stuff. I even spent the time on guard and black belt, and now it collect dust unless to burn KV or salv but also have sam so even then meh. Back to the main point, he did that with 300 tp, plus counters for SA which is 1 min. Chances of him getting 300 on genbu/byakko/ ect during the fight again are limited. Add that with the good chance they start the fight with a boom he either dies or thats the most damage he is gonna do. Overall with being a mnk myself I will say my blu will do more damage then his mnk on any given god.

Yeah, your cannonball build is very close to mine, probably a little better. My point though is that while I don't know how often a MNK/THF can push out those sorts of numbers, I know that blu can only do ~1300 tops every 2 minutes (probably about 8-900 every other minute?) with the exceptional 2-hour that pushes 3k. In between SA, blu is next to useless on gods except for diamondhide and emergency cures, so it seems to me from the very limited information in this thread that MNK would be better DoT.

Ie: Not trying to put you down, just trying to work out which is better.

Also, I much prefer Vertical Cleave over Cannonball, simply because you don't need a brd to give you double minne to achieve similar numbers. Completely on my own (no brd) I've done around 13-1400 damage with CASA Vertical Cleave, and around 6-700 damage with just SA. Not sure I've even tried with 2-hour to be honest <_<

Having said that, anything you can get over 1k with on a level 85+ mob is always going to be fine.

I understand exactly what you are saying with limited information. I was making a general statement across the board for all gods, he does impressively well with his DK, better then any schmuck mnk that does to sky that I have seen lately up there. However not to make it a bash post or peeing contest; add disseverment with frightful roar pending the god of course...buffs or none with cannonball i just see more damage output then mnk overall pending how they fight something. In the end I guess ill admit situation dictates which is truely better atm but if he can suit himself well with mnk he will beat 90% of the mnks I have seen in sky, with the glance at his sets he is on his way. I haven’t seen /thf mnk since the days of "Crap I’m mnk and cant get a pt invite...." then again thats when people SC'ed. I will deff load my setup and let people even rip mine apart to improve, but whatever helps Treppe. BTW not a bad guard setup either, what lvl is it at?
 Pandemonium.Treppe
By Pandemonium.Treppe 2009-08-21 13:26:49  
Ok done with DK WS MNK/THF setup thast all the gear i have avalilable to me atm

http://www.ffxiah.com/item_sets.php?id=103865
 Caitsith.Katas
By Caitsith.Katas 2009-08-21 13:31:06  
Not bad guy, better off then i thought. Only needs a touch up on couple spots that I see

Back - we covered, i think i use foragers but i dont /thf, could use smiledon

Neck - gorget if you have sea otherwise chiv

Rings - rajas or flame eventually - covered

Ear 2 change to Brutal which was covered.

When you head back up to sky, test it and send me a PM on AH with your numbers then, very interested.
 Pandemonium.Nerevar
user:
By Pandemonium.Nerevar 2009-08-21 13:33:11

Treppe said:
Ok done with DK WS MNK/THF setup thast all the gear i have avalilable to me atm

http://www.ffxiah.com/item_sets.php?id=103865

Finish up CoP and you're golden.

Katas said:
Not bad guy, better off then i thought. Only needs a touch up on couple spots that I see

Back - we covered, i think i use foragers but i dont /thf, could use smiledon

Neck - gorget if you have sea otherwise chiv

Rings - rajas or flame eventually - covered

Ear 2 change to Brutal which was covered.

When you head back up to sky, test it and send me a PM on AH with your numbers then, very interested.

MNK can't wear Smilodon Mantle.
 Caitsith.Katas
By Caitsith.Katas 2009-08-21 13:34:36  
k then cuch or foragers if your rich, foragers shouldnt be much anymoree, my mistake on smilodon. Bouncing screens atm before i leave for home.
First Page 2