フォーラム » Everything Else » Chatterbox » Gardening in stupid RL
Gardening in stupid RL
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
 Bismarck.Laurelli
サーバ: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: ltantonio
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2020-05-20 11:48:21  
My onions and swiss chard are doing well. Planted seeds for the chard and bulbs for the onions.
My pole beans still haven't germinated. And I'm having a terrible time with my cucumbers. The birds dug up the seeds and ate them. Then I bought 2 plants and planted them in the beds and they wilted. Hopefully, they get better. If not, it's just cucumbers, so no big deal.
Now I have bush beans, kale, squash, and eggplants seeded in pots. As they grow, I'll transplant them into the raised beds.

@Yojimbo: I checked Google, but sometimes you just feel better if you ask people.
 Garuda.Chanti
サーバ: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2020-05-20 16:09:08  
Bismarck.Laurelli said: »
This is my first necro, but it's the best place to ask. I planted potatoes on May 3rd. I wasn't able to get proper seed potatoes because of all the stuff going on right now. So I used sprouted grocery store potatoes.
It's been a pretty cold spring, was about 9-11C until about May 11, and today is the first day over 20C.
I planted them 4 inches deep in a raised bed in soil mixed with compost, but I didn't use any other fertilizer. I topped it all with cedar mulch.
I still don't see anything growing out of the soil yet. Is this normal? Do they need lots of water or should I let the soil get dryer? I'm pretty new at this so any help would be appreciated.
I planted some leftover purple potatoes that a friend gave me about a month ago, they have sprouted. Its warmer here (N. central WA, S of graystokes & granby provincial parks in BC) than you report though. We had a week in the mid 20s C. A fair number of 20ish days too.

About potatoes: when they sprout cover them with old hay, straw, or light airy soil. Keep doing it. Most of your potatoes will grow in the cover laid down after sprouting rather than the dirt they are planted in.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ayasha
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Ayasha
By Bahamut.Ayasha 2020-05-20 16:52:42  
Bismarck.Laurelli said: »
This is my first necro, but it's the best place to ask. I planted potatoes on May 3rd. I wasn't able to get proper seed potatoes because of all the stuff going on right now. So I used sprouted grocery store potatoes.
It's been a pretty cold spring, was about 9-11C until about May 11, and today is the first day over 20C.
I planted them 4 inches deep in a raised bed in soil mixed with compost, but I didn't use any other fertilizer. I topped it all with cedar mulch.
I still don't see anything growing out of the soil yet. Is this normal? Do they need lots of water or should I let the soil get dryer? I'm pretty new at this so any help would be appreciated.

I planted some sprouting store bought russets mid March pretty much the same way you did, about 4" deep in loose soil in a plastic planter box to start them (first time attempting potatoes). I had them popping out of the soil about 3 weeks later, but they were already about 1.5" - 2" before getting them in to the box. From my experience, they take a while to start out but then take off once they establish themselves. They also will need a decent amount of water... pretty thirsty plants. Did you dry the sprouting potatoes out a bit prior to planting them? The potato chunks should have a somewhat rubbery texture. From what I've read, this helps protect the sprouts from disease and help them adapt to new soil.

After the sprouts got an inch or two above the soil, I put them in the ground and then they just exploded. They're pretty hardy plants and should be pretty forgiving. I'd say just wait a little while longer and you should see something. Good luck!

Chanti's advice is spot on, too. Keep mounding dirt up to the leaves to encourage tuber growth. If you see anything that's white on the plant, cover it with dirt or mulch or whatever. Sunlight on the white parts of the plant causes the potatoes to develop a toxin (alkaloid?) and makes the tuber taste bad... also poisonous.
[+]
 Bismarck.Laurelli
user: ltantonio
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2020-05-22 19:43:13  
So I'm happy to report that my potatoes started to sprout. We had 3 warm days, today was 28C (go figure, we had frost 11 days ago) and now it looks like about 60% of what I planted is starting to show.

I also have 1 bean plant that's poking out of the earth, as of today, and 2 other plants that I still need to identify. When I thought there was no more hope for the cucumbers, I planted sunflowers near that spot. So now I'll need to wait a bit before I find out which of the 2 those plants are.

The kale in my flower pots are also starting to sprout. They were actually pretty fast. When they get bigger, I'm going to move them to my front yard flower bed. I always liked the look of kale with flowers.

This is an exciting hobby. Now I need to start working on my chicken coop. Gonna do some next level suburban backyard farming.
 Siren.Mosin
サーバ: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2020-05-22 19:55:28  
kick ***!

glad they came up
[+]
By Boshi 2020-05-22 20:02:48  
Sucks
 Bismarck.Rosalee
user: Rosamimi
By Bismarck.Rosalee 2020-05-23 00:17:06  
My basket of purslane is dying. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Did I drown it? Did I let it dry up??? It looked like it was about to burst with flowers when I bought it but now it just looks like shriveled vines.

At least my herbs & tomatoes are doing fine.
 Siren.Mosin
サーバ: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2020-05-23 06:09:13  
I don’t have any experience with purslane in particular, but a common mistake for me early on was thinking all plants need all the sunlight

some things do better in afternoon shade

maybe grandma chanti will know more
 Garuda.Chanti
サーバ: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2020-05-23 09:32:04  
I also know little about purslane.

But those blooming hanging baskets you see in stores often go wilty once brought home.

I water them thoroughly, let them drain (if they include a saucerlike thing I make sure it is empty), and hang them on my porch which gets 50% sun.

Searching purslane its edible aspects come up first, but growing info is out there in webland too.

Best of luck.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9