Random Politics & Religion #01

Eorzea Time

言語: JP EN FR DE
日本語版のFFXIVPRO利用したい場合は、上記の"JP"を設定して、又はjp.ffxivpro.comを直接に利用してもいいです
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #01
Random Politics & Religion #01
First Page 2 ... 51 52 53
Forum Moderator
サーバ: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2016-03-29 12:38:59  
Node 285
[+]
By Jetackuu 2016-03-29 12:42:12  
Oh this will be interesting.

Anna Ruthven said: »
Benghazi

yup.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-03-29 12:42:50  
Jetackuu said: »
Oh this will be interesting.
Not more, not less than the previous ones lol.
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2016-03-29 12:45:18  
I hate that Ben Ghazi guy. He's such a ***.
By Jetackuu 2016-03-29 12:49:26  
I hate that Ben Ghazi guy. He's such a ***.

Yeah, he's off a line too.
 Bismarck.Leneth
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Leneth 2016-03-29 12:50:16  
Ankara summons German ambassador because of a 2 minute song in a satire show.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/mar/29/turkey-german-video-mocking-president-recep-tayyip-erdogan

Article provides a few points of the video in english, but not everything.

PS: For the Citizen of Ni, it's the same show which themed the ISIS wage cuts.
 Bismarck.Misao
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2016-03-29 12:54:59  
#inb4thetrump
[+]
By fonewear 2016-03-29 13:05:45  
Meet new P n R same as the old P n R !
By fonewear 2016-03-29 13:12:41  
What's a P n R section without guns and Republicans !

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/richard-north-patterson/partners-in-death-the-gop_b_9021138.html?utm_hp_ref=politics
 Bahamut.Ravael
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-03-29 13:19:43  

It's sad when I look at this picture and think, "Can I vote for one of those guys instead?"
[+]
 Bahamut.Omael
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Omael
By Bahamut.Omael 2016-03-29 13:50:58  
Bahamut.Ravael said: »

It's sad when I look at this picture and think, "Can I vote for one of those guys instead?"

The one on the left kind of looks like Brian Dennehy. He's got my vote.
 Asura.Failaras
サーバ: Asura
user: Falaras
By Asura.Failaras 2016-03-29 13:51:59  
Anyone who sports a fashionable American Flag Cape gets a vote in my book.
[+]
By Ackeron 2016-03-29 13:57:55  
Asura.Failaras said: »
Anyone who sports a fashionable American Flag Cape gets a vote in my book.
Yeah, I'd vote for the podium too.
[+]
 Bismarck.Misao
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2016-03-29 13:58:19  
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-03-29 14:10:45  
I'm bringing this from the old thread:

The nasty Oklahoman said:
*aims ban cannon* Farewell, RP&R.

Why do we get the ban cannon?

Why didn't we get the ban grenade or the ban machete instead? Why the cannon?

If you are going to go for weapons of mass banning, you should have used the ban nuke.
By Ackeron 2016-03-29 14:40:43  
Asura.Kingnobody said: »

If you are going to go for weapons of mass banning, you should have used the ban nuke.
Budget cuts.
[+]
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2016-03-29 14:54:13  

The Ban Cannon™ is really just a big BB gun loaded with M&M's instead of BBs. They are surprisingly effective at banning but they aren't as good as a gummy bear shotgun. Or a jawbreaker howitzer.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-03-29 14:54:15  
Ackeron said: »

Budget cuts.
Damn it, I pay good tax money advertising revenue to get quality bannings! Since, it seems, I'm the one who gets it often.

I demand to speak to a manager about this!

[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-03-29 14:54:40  
Or a jawbreaker howitzer.
Now that's something I'll pay for.
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
サーバ: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2016-03-29 15:09:49  
I thought this little diddy goes without saying...

Quote:
The overwhelming whiteness of U.S. private schools, in six maps and charts

Students in the nation’s private schools are disproportionately — and in some states overwhelmingly — white.

While that’s not entirely surprising, a new analysis from the Southern Education Foundation quantifies the continued segregation of white students in private schools, particularly in the South, where private-school enrollment jumped in the 1950s and 1960s as white families sought to avoid attending integrated public schools.

[...]

The author of the analysis also puts forth a provocative argument: Because of this historical pattern, private schools that take public money (via vouchers and voucher-like programs) should not be able to select the students they admit. Instead, those schools should have to admit anyone who applies, just like public schools do, said Steve Suitts, who wrote the study as a senior fellow at the Southern Education Foundation.

“The public-school system is built on the bedrock notion that we want each child to have a chance for a good education,” said Suitts, now an adjunct professor at Emory University. “And if private schools do not wish to advance that national purpose, then they ought not receive public funding.”

That argument does not make much sense to people who believe that voucher programs are a way to help low-income and minority students attend private schools they otherwise could not afford.

Greg Forster, a senior fellow at the Friedman Foundation for Educational Choice, said it’s not surprising that white students are more likely to attend private schools because the nation’s white families have higher incomes than other families, on average.

“Private schools generally want to serve as many students as possible, but they can only serve those who are able to pay,” Forster said. “School choice levels the playing field by helping those with lower incomes have access to the choices that others now have and even take for granted. It is not a scandal that those who are able to access better schools choose to do so; it is a scandal that because of the government school monopoly, only some are able to access better schools.”

Forster pointed to Milwaukee — which has had a voucher program since 1990 — as evidence that vouchers can help increase minorities’ enrollment in private schools. In 1994, when racial data were first tracked, 75 percent of the city’s private-school students were white, he said; by 2008, the white share of private-school students had dropped to 35 percent.

Suitts said economics are part of the pattern, but not all or even most of it. The number of black, Latino and Native American students enrolled in private schools is far lower than the number of minority families that could afford it, he said. He said he didn’t know of instances in which private schools rejected qualified minority students — but the enrollment patterns signify a problem.

“The fact is that, over the years, African American families and non-white families have come to understand that these private schools are not schools that are open to them, especially in light of their traditional role and history related to desegregation of public schools,” he said.

The report recalls how private-school enrollment grew a half-century ago as courts were ordering public schools to integrate. The pattern was particularly pronounced in the South, where massive resistance to integration led to rapid private-school enrollment growth. Even as private-school enrollment has fallen across much of the country in recent decades, it has continued to grow in the South.

[...]

Liz King, director of education policy for the Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights, said that the historical context is important because it shows how “private education can play a role in undermining civil-rights efforts.”

If taxpayers are going to support private schools, she said, then those private schools should be subject to additional scrutiny and to the same civil-rights oversight and enforcement as public schools.

Forster, of the Friedman Foundation, doesn’t see the need for additional oversight or for a new requirement that private schools accepting public dollars accept every child who applies.

“It prevents schools from matching the right student to the right school,” he said. “Just as parents should have the right to say to schools, ‘You’re not the right fit for my child, I’m going to find another school,’ schools should also have the right to say to parents, ‘We’re not the right fit for your child.'”

He said that multiple studies have shown that choice programs result in students moving from more-segregated to less-segregated schools.

Forster also challenged Suitts’s methods for analyzing segregation in private vs. public schools. It can be misleading to compare enrollment patterns on a state level because that misses important nuances between individual schools and between different parts of a state, he said.

And he said that Suitts did not attempt to capture the segregation of students of color within either school sector, leaving out an important part of the picture of race and enrollment patterns.

“These are obviously not measurements of segregation, they are measurements of the presence of white students, which is not the same thing,” Forster said.

There have been a few threads in which the subject of homeschooling versus public schooling were grazed, and the potential for lack of socialization and immersion were raised.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-03-29 15:12:27  
Caitsith.Zahrah said: »
the potential for lack of socialization and immersion were raised.
*raises hand*
Taking responsibility as I personally said that.
[+]
 Valefor.Rawry
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Rawry 2016-03-29 15:17:28  
Also I had an unrelated question, but I don't quite understand how delegates distribution works sometimes.
For example Washington had 101, so why only 34 were given?
 Caitsith.Zahrah
サーバ: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2016-03-29 15:27:25  
Valefor.Sehachan said: »
the potential for lack of socialization and immersion were raised.
*raises hand*
Taking responsibility as I personally said that.

I was on board with you when that subject reared its head, also.

Curious as to the opinions on passive segregation via private schooling has effected society in the south as it is today.

Though, I'm product of predominately "white-flight" public schools. It's funny recalling that under Anne Richards minority kids were bussed in from other schools to ensure demographics were less skewed and kids were allotted more exposure. It seems that has petered off.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-03-29 15:31:24  
Isn't that obvious? I mean, if you have a group of people who are predominately white, wouldn't it make sense that those people who sends their children to private school be...you know...predominately white?

Next thing from Washington Post: Water is wet! The discrimination of being dry when water is involved. NAADP protested in front of a water plant this afternoon in response to the wetness of water.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2016-03-29 15:44:46  
Isn't that obvious? I mean, if you have a group of people who are predominately white, wouldn't it make sense that those people who sends their children to private school be...you know...predominately white?

Next thing from Washington Post: Water is wet! The discrimination of being dry when water is involved. NAADP protested in front of a water plant this afternoon in response to the wetness of water.

You realize it becomes a problem when these schools become a 'safe haven' (from the eyes of parents) from the 'undesirables'? Children will grow up dangerously naive to other groups of people, resorting to stereotypes and caricatures to fill in their gaps in knowledge.

Further, being in private school usually means being up the socioeconomic ladder which then spreads the poison of being ignorant into the societal sphere when you grow up to be someone important with the idea that 'X group is Y because Z stereotype'.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-03-29 15:49:54  
Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
Children will grow up dangerously naive to other groups of people, resorting to stereotypes and caricatures to fill in their gaps in knowledge.
Gonna disagree. It all boils down to parental education and to a lesser degree the general culture of the community you live in(the latter is not binding but can influence some people).

From kindergarten to university I've only ever met one black guy at school. And yet here I am being all progressive and ***, without having any prejudice.
[+]

Undelete | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-03-29 15:58:13  
You realize it becomes a problem when these schools become a 'safe haven' (from the eyes of parents) from the 'undesirables'? Children will grow up dangerously naive to other groups of people, resorting to stereotypes and caricatures to fill in their gaps in knowledge.
Are you freaking kidding me? I mean, are you seriously freaking kidding me?

Have you asked why these parents pay money to send their kids to these private schools? Do you even know of anyone (other than your boss, that is) who sends their children to private school and/or actually been to private school? Besides me, of course. But you won't listen to me, you are set in your perceived notions you accuse others of having. Like above.

But I will tell you the honest truth. Parents send their kids to private schools because public schools are substandard in educating kids. Yes, that's right, rich people care about their kids enough to send them to schools that will enable them to succeed in life. Another headline for Washington Post, except it's pro-rich so it will never run.

Further, being in private school usually means being up the socioeconomic ladder which then spreads the poison of being ignorant into the societal sphere when you grow up to be someone important with the idea that 'X group is Y because Z stereotype'.
Just stop with your persecution complex. Seriously, it gets old after the first 500 posts.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-03-29 15:59:30  
Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Children will grow up dangerously naive to other groups of people, resorting to stereotypes and caricatures to fill in their gaps in knowledge.
Gonna disagree. It all boils down to parental education and to a lesser degree the general culture of the community you live in(the latter is not binding but can influence some people).

From kindergarten to university I've only ever met one black guy at school. And yet here I am being all progressive and ***, without having any prejudice.
Finally, somebody who knows.

How was your private schooling Seha? I don't know about Italy's education system, do they require state testing there?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-03-29 15:59:44  
Asura.Floppyseconds said: »
Hi.
Sup.
First Page 2 ... 51 52 53