Random Politics & Religion #02

Eorzea Time

言語: JP EN FR DE
日本語版のFFXIVPRO利用したい場合は、上記の"JP"を設定して、又はjp.ffxivpro.comを直接に利用してもいいです
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #02
Random Politics & Religion #02
First Page 2 3 ... 7 8 9 ... 38 39 40
 Shiva.Viciousss
サーバ: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2016-04-14 16:14:38  
Which is why I said just tune out the protests and push on. Its just fear mongering, the risks are virtually nonexistent. Modern day, it takes a natural disaster of historic, Pompeii-like proportions and even then the damage can be severely mitigated.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-04-14 16:16:33  
Shiva.Viciousss said: »
a natural disaster of historic, Pompeii-like proportions and even then the damage can be severely mitigated.
Not to rain on your nuclear parade, but how are you going to mitigate the eruption of a supervolcano exactly?
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2016-04-14 16:20:10  
Oh you know, just dig a hole for the lava to flow into, similar to the one in Daredevil S2.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-04-14 16:25:05  
Lava is the least dangerous of the problems if Vesuvius were to erupt.

Maybe next time avoid grandiose claims when trying to make a point.
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2016-04-14 16:35:15  
. . .

Well Seha, if you read, I said a natural disaster of historic, Pompeii-like proportions, meaning a natural disaster so large that damage would be inevitable. Thats what happened in Fukushima, a 9.0 earthquake that caused a tsunami. And that could have been way worse, if not for the brave Japanese workers that died working to prevent further disaster. I didn't say lets build a nuclear power plant next to an active, or even dormant, volcano, because that is obviously idiotic.
The point is, it takes a miracle in modern day to damage a nuclear power plant to the point where fallout occurs. Its not the 70s anymore.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-04-14 16:38:31  
I understand very well your point.
But you shouldn't say that a Pompeii-like event could be mitigated cause that's untrue.

Of course no one will build a plant on the Vesuvius, but you're the one who used said example lol.
Forum Moderator
サーバ: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2016-04-14 16:44:10  
Valefor.Sehachan said: »
But you shouldn't say that a Pompeii-like event could be mitigated cause that's untrue.
If we send a nuke directly into the volcano tho...
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-04-14 16:54:02  
Garuda.Chanti said: »
Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
There is a huge shroud of ignorance and fear around nuclear power and coupled with political indifference, creates a nonstarter. Probably make more ground in solar, hydroelectric or wind but those are also political footballs....
I completely agree with you on that. I don't know about solar getting political though. At least in San Antonio and the surrounding area, it's actually encouraged....
In FL the utility companies are trying to put solar out of the picture.

Utility-backed solar group raised over $7M to counter TPO proposal in Florida

Get the Facts - Floridians for Solar Choice

Please note that the state has so little marginal power that they will give consumers interruptible power options. Live in FL and you can get interruptible power on your hot water heater, freezer, and pool, perhaps other appliances too.

Which might all fall into a sinkhole cause ya'know limestone.

Undelete | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Altimaomega 2016-04-14 17:59:11  
More well thought out Government Studies.
Quote:
With Tax Day right around the corner, a federal agency is facing criticism for approving more than $600,000 to study – wait for it – why some people cheat on their taxes.

Maybe it’s because of projects like this?

Whatever the researchers discover, one Republican lawmaker is fuming that the National Science Foundation felt the need to fund such a report.

“It’s inconceivable that the NSF decided to spend hundreds of thousands of taxpayers’ dollars to study why some individuals cheat on their taxes,” Rep. Lamar Smith, R-Texas
 Cerberus.Pleebo
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2016-04-14 18:41:56  
Quote:
This interdisciplinary research project will advance basic understanding of how tax compliance behavior emerges by focusing on how perceptions of risk and tax fairness form, how these perceptions spread through a social network, and the interplay caused by the complex feedback loops among individual behaviors and population-level outcomes. The project also will address how audit, penalty, and taxation policies, and changes in those policies, influence perceptions and ultimately reduce tax evasion. The project will provide new insights regarding how tax compliance behavior is modified by the perceived aggregated compliance and on how behavior and the perceived aggregated compliance depend on social network structure over which perceptions of taxation spreads. The project will demonstrate the utility of the use of agent-based modeling for research on interactions between individuals and governments as well as how data from the American Life Panel collected by Rand Corporation can be employed to address problems like this. The analysis also will have practical utility, because it will shed light on why certain countries with high taxation levels, such as Scandinavian nations, can maintain high levels of tax compliance while other countries with lower taxation levels may have high levels of tax evasion as is the case in Greece and Italy. Project findings therefore should help nations like the United States reduce the occurrence of tax evasion.
http://www.nsf.gov/awardsearch/showAward?AWD_ID=1519116&HistoricalAwards=false

Any study can sound stupid if you vastly oversimplify it. Bolded the obvious.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Saevel 2016-04-14 19:16:56  
The really messed up thing about nuclear is that for every Gen III+ fission plant you open, you can close several coal plants which produces less total radiation / pollution. It's actually more environmentally friendly to replace baseload coal power with nuke. And before the nutty crowd starts screaming about solar / wind / ect, baseload is power that absolutely must be available 24/7/365. It's the largest category of power and is typically produced by either coal, nuclear, oil or if a region is geographically lucky then hydro.

So for every nuke plant that is prevented from being built, they guarantee a dozen coal plants stay online.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2016-04-14 19:29:19  
Burn coal= release radiation.

Pretty basic.
 Garuda.Chanti
サーバ: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-04-14 21:12:35  
Shiva.Viciousss said: »
. . .

Well Seha, if you read, I said a natural disaster of historic, Pompeii-like proportions, meaning a natural disaster so large that damage would be inevitable. Thats what happened in Fukushima, a 9.0 earthquake that caused a tsunami. And that could have been way worse, if not for the brave Japanese workers that died working to prevent further disaster....
It could have way better if the emergency back up generators had been elevated instead being in pits.

Bad placement, agreed, but bad design too.
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2016-04-14 21:31:35  
North Korea celebrates anniversary with failed rocket launch

Quote:
North Korea conducted a missile test off its east coast on Friday morning, but the launch appears to have failed, say US and South Korean officials.
The launch coincided with the birthday of North Korea's founding leader, Kim Il-sung, the grandfather of current leader Kim Jong-un.
The South's officials said it was not immediately clear what type of missile had been launched, nor its range.

Sucks to suck.
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2016-04-14 21:40:34  
NINE PAGES.
[+]
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2016-04-14 21:41:16  
Rooks lied to me or I miscounted.
 Fenrir.Schutz
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2016-04-14 21:52:07  
Anna Ruthven said: »
NINE PAGES.

It's ok, we all miss the 'EDIT' button... /comfort :p

[Mod Edit: I don't. - AnnaMolly]
[+]
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2016-04-14 21:54:47  
>.>
[+]
Administrator
サーバ: Hyperion
user: Rooks
By Drama Torama 2016-04-14 21:55:25  
Fenrir.Schutz said: »
NINE PAGES.

His edit still works!

And I had told him it was 15 posts to a page, but it's actually 30. There are a couple places where "15" is referenced in the code and I never bothered to manually count, so I just assumed that was it.

/tmyk
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2016-04-14 21:56:38  
Drama Torama said: »
NINE PAGES.

His edit still works!

And I had told him it was 15 posts to a page, but it's actually 30. There are a couple places where "15" is referenced in the code and I never bothered to manually count, so I just assumed that was it.

/tmyk
I mean, I could have went back a page and just counted.
By Altimaomega 2016-04-14 22:19:13  
Drama Torama said: »
NINE PAGES.

His edit still works!

/tmyk
I mean, I could have went back a page and just counted.

The unspoken rule.
Never go back a page in P&R.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-04-14 22:30:08  
Interesting debate tonight. I can't tell if it's depressing or refreshing that Hillary and Bernie are finally at each other's throats. Either way, it might actually get people to watch a Democratic debate for once.
[+]
By Altimaomega 2016-04-14 22:38:01  
Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Interesting debate tonight. I can't tell if it's depressing or refreshing that Hillary and Bernie are finally at each other's throats. Either way, it might actually get people to watch a Democratic debate for once.

I was listening to it on the radio driving home. A lot of booing for Clinton, was pretty funny.
[+]
By Altimaomega 2016-04-14 22:39:28  
Sad thing is Bernie knows exactly what is wrong. But then he gets to the part of fixing it..
[+]
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2016-04-14 23:37:23  
Altimaomega said: »
Sad thing is Bernie knows exactly what is wrong. But then he gets to the part of fixing it..

So how do you go about fixing it since Bernie is wrong?
By Altimaomega 2016-04-14 23:44:03  
Vote Republican.
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2016-04-14 23:49:44  
Vote Republican.

They have majorities in Congress and Senate and I don't see anything getting done. Could you be more specific?
[+]

Undelete | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Altimaomega 2016-04-15 00:06:25  
Asura.Ladyofhonor said: »
Vote Republican.

They have majorities in Congress and Senate and I don't see anything getting done. Could you be more specific?

Think about what you just said.
Now, realize we have three branches of government.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 7 8 9 ... 38 39 40