users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Senseless killing in Orlando
Senseless killing in Orlando
First Page 2
 Lakshmi.Buukki
サーバ: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2016-06-13 13:51:18  
Pretty pathetic. I'm really saddened by this senseless and cowardly killing in Orlando.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/14/us/orlando-shooting.html?_r=0

It appears an employee of my company was killed (worked in the Tampa location).

Really just trying to wrap my head around this entire story, but getting so many conflicting versions in the media.

Anybody been able to find out how he got the gun in the club (was the shooting inside or outside) and how he managed to kill 50 people before he was taken out? This was really sad and my heart goes out to anyone in the ffxiah.com community who has friends/family/workmates in the area who are affected. Truly a tragedy.
By Ramyrez 2016-06-13 14:03:22  
The only thing I've seen regarding your questions is that he was in fact inside, hence the ability to injure so many. Being a club, people were packed in tight enough that he couldn't help but to hit targets with every shot fired.

It's senseless, it's upsetting, it's infuriating.

I wish as much peace to those affected as is possible in such trying times.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ihina
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2016-06-13 14:09:34  
Are we really making a thread about congratulating ourselves over handing out feel-good applause-lines.

You know, we should make one official thread about it and contain it there. Every time something terrible happens, we all flock to it, regurgitate the same words describing the event and pat ourselves on the back for really making a difference.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2016-06-13 14:12:30  
I was actually looking for the thread but couldn't find it. Can you link it here and i'll delete this one?

Was genuinely asking questions. Not sure where your comments are directed, but you're missing me.
[+]

Undelete | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
By Ramyrez 2016-06-13 14:19:19  
Bismarck.Ihina said: »
regurgitate the same words describing the event and pat ourselves on the back for really making a difference.

Yeah, hey. Let me quit my job, hop on a plane, go and approach hundreds of people I don't know to comfort them, or offer my professional crime-and-terror-fighting services to the FBI and Florida law enforcement professionals.

My sympathies are all I have to offer at this time directly. I wish I had more, but I don't, and jumping on bandwagon politicized arguments doesn't really help anything either.

So...yeah. He had legit questions. I answered one and expressed my feelings on it.

Dunno what more you want in this regard.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2016-06-13 14:26:37  
I'm not talking about you, Buukki, but we all know the pattern by now.

Something terrible happens, people take to the internet and condemn it, do nothing, then wait around for the next tragedy to happen so they can repeat it all over again. Whether this event or any of the previous tragic events (Kony 2012 still gets on my nerves), whether on this forum, or facebook or the inevitable flood of youtube videos in the coming days, I'm just tired of seeing it every time something happens.

At this point, it seems more about a self-gratificating circle jerk rather than actual sincerity, and it's pretty sickening.

Again, not talking about you specifically. I'm talking about the kinds of posts threads like this tend to attract.
[+]
サーバ: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Lillica
By Grumpy Cat 2016-06-13 14:29:54  

Something terrible happens, people take to the internet and condemn it, do nothing, then wait around for the next tragedy to happen so they can repeat it all over again. Whether this event or any of the previous tragic events (Kony 2012 still gets on my nerves), whether on this forum, or facebook or the inevitable flood of youtube videos in the coming days, I'm just tired of seeing it every time something happens.

At this point, it seems more about a self-gratificating circle jerk rather than actual sincerity, and it's pretty sickening.

Again, not talking about you specifically. I'm talking about the kinds of posts threads like this tend to attract.

Makes me think of the bit where Louis C.K. talks about how he thought about giving up his seat for a soldier. He didn't actually do it, but it made him feel good that he even considered it.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-06-13 14:30:28  
Sorry. I get kinda grumpy about responses like that.

"Thoughts & prayers" help for ***. It's pretty well documented.

But we're also a nation of millions upset by this kind of news and we feel the need to express our outrage and mourning and we can't exactly go all vigilante, especially when the perpetrator is obviously dead.

Obviously additionally upsetting -- and possibly part of the piece of ***perpetrator's plan -- that it's Pride week in many places. Including Pittsburgh (my region). Saw a bunch of friends wonderful pictures from the weekend contrasted with this outrage.

It's sort of a painful juxtaposition.
By Ramyrez 2016-06-13 14:34:29  

I absolutely get what you're saying, but at the same time, what specifically would you like me -- and I use myself as an example since I was the only one actually to have responded when you posted -- to do?

Donate to causes? I do. Recognize, acknowledge, celebrate people's rights to exist as themselves peacefully and without fear? Hey, look at that. Also things I advocate.

So short of physically going and awkwardly trying to hug people who don't even know me as a form of support, or going vigilante on anyone who I suspect is an ISIS sleeper or white supremacist with violent intentions toward minorities and alternate lifestyles...???
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2016-06-13 14:39:48  
I mean I see your point, but honestly I don't really follow much of the trends. This is an online board where we discuss game ideas and real-life situations. It's not like I'm expecting anyone here to have a solution, but the idea behind these social boards is to trade dialogue. At this point, besides share condolences, what can we do?

I really brought it up because as I stated in the first post, an employee in my company passed, so it hit close to home and I am touched. I started thinking that this could literally have happened anywhere, but the few questions I asked weren't completely answered.

I'm reading he had an assault rifle - how exactly did he get into a club with that? I'm 28 but haven't been to a club in a few years. But when I did, there was a bouncer that checked everyone. Did he brute force his way in, or was he inconspicuous and it happened from inside?
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2016-06-13 14:45:58  
Ramyrez said: »
what specifically would you like me -- and I use myself as an example since I was the only one actually to have responded when you posted -- to do?

If such an easy answer was available, we wouldn't have incidents like this.

I'm not demanding anyone take your post down. You're free to express yourself, and I'll ask for the same courtesy. At best, it's something to think about.
By Ramyrez 2016-06-13 15:04:11  
Like I said. I get what you're saying. I don't even disagree.

All the "thoughts and prayers" ***gets old. But it's really not trite or self-congratulatory from most people. Most people truly mean it. They just don't know what else to do.

Like I said. Even when you do donate to causes, give blood, etc...

...it doesn't feel like much and you find yourself hanging out going, "Well, ***. Maybe I can at least try to verbally express my sympathies."

Helplessness is a bad feeling, mmkay?
MSPaint Winner
By Skjalfeirdotter 2016-06-13 15:05:45  
YouTube Video Placeholder

[+]
 Odin.Jsmooth
サーバ: Odin
By Odin.Jsmooth 2016-06-13 15:44:09  
It is an unnerving feeling for sure here in Orlando. Sense of community is shining through though. 3-4 hour waits for blood donations, people dropping supplies for those who are waiting. Candle's lit on driveways. Facebook/social media is getting pretty ugly and political.

was odd checking my phone and getting a facebook message saying terrorist attack, please check this box so everyone knows you are safe". Pretty much everyone in the area had to select it.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2016-06-13 15:45:46  
Odin.Jsmooth said: »
It is an unnerving feeling for sure here in Orlando. Sense of community is shining through though. 3-4 hour waits for blood donations, people dropping supplies for those who are waiting. Candle's lit on driveways. Facebook/social media is getting pretty ugly and political.

was odd checking my phone and getting a facebook message saying terrorist attack, please check this box so everyone knows you are safe". Pretty much everyone in the area had to select it.

Elaborate? Was this a facebook message to all Orlando residents?
サーバ: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Lillica
By Grumpy Cat 2016-06-13 15:49:03  
Lakshmi.Buukki said: »

Elaborate? Was this a facebook message to all Orlando residents?

http://www.pcmag.com/news/345199/facebook-safety-check-activated-for-first-time-in-us

I didn't know this was a thing.
[+]
 Odin.Jsmooth
サーバ: Odin
By Odin.Jsmooth 2016-06-13 15:50:11  
Facebook only. From what I understood, it starting outside with gunfire with a police officer, and then inside to the club. There is massive amounts of information, one story contradicting the other. Very sad stuff.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2016-06-13 16:16:08  
Wow, that is interesting. Not the topic to discuss the safety check of facebook in detail, but I have my opinions about that. But I don't use it anyways, so its no big deal. Just interesting that they have that feature, as I never knew it existed.

I'm glad you're safe though. Yes, my job is playing CNN non-stop, and there is indeed very conflicting stories I am hearing at this time.
 Bahamut.Dannyl
サーバ: Bahamut
user: dannyl
By Bahamut.Dannyl 2016-06-13 17:11:50  
All I will say on this matter, and all the other 'mass shootings' is don't believe a lick of what the media is telling you at first glance. Especially when you have these interviews within minutes/ hours of said 'tragic' event. You really begin to question the validity of all of it.
[+]
By fonewear 2016-06-13 17:17:39  
It was a false flag Obama wants your guns !
[+]
By fonewear 2016-06-13 17:19:22  

Not to alarm you but Facebook and social media has always been ugly and political !
 Carbuncle.Brakiss
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Brakiss
By Carbuncle.Brakiss 2016-06-13 17:27:28  
Sadly this was the sort of thing Obama has talked about, why can most american's and the NRA not get it that some people should not be allowed to buy guns. They are allowed to put people on a no fly list, but a guy who has been watched by FBI and suspected of terrorism cannot be put on a no gun list. Ridiculous.
By Ramyrez 2016-06-13 17:35:01  
Bahamut.Dannyl said: »
All I will say on this matter, and all the other 'mass shootings' is don't believe a lick of what the media is telling you at first glance. Especially when you have these interviews within minutes/ hours of said 'tragic' event. You really begin to question the validity of all of it.

[+]
 Phoenix.Morier
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Morier
By Phoenix.Morier 2016-06-13 17:38:52  
Bahamut.Dannyl said: »
You do know how cars and cameras work, ya?
[+]
By fonewear 2016-06-13 17:41:18  
I question the validity of validity !
 Bahamut.Ravael
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-06-13 17:49:11  
Eh, the media does have a tendency to rush and over-report things like this and they will get things wrong, but I don't know what else you should expect. They do whatever it takes to get viewers and they're not going to sit on a story and wait on all the facts when the competition is already all over it. I'll never forget the weeks upon weeks of reports on that missing plane. It was all like, "This just in - we still don't know anything! Stick around for two more hours of us telling you how little we know."
[+]
By fonewear 2016-06-13 17:54:33  
I heard the shooter used to play FFXI a lot maybe FFXI causes violence...
 Sylph.Darkshanks
サーバ: Sylph
By Sylph.Darkshanks 2016-06-13 18:02:12  
Opinions?
https://youtu.be/mRl0K687MAs
 Garuda.Chanti
サーバ: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-06-14 13:33:26  
It seems the shooter had a few problems.

An ex wife and a co worker both describe him as violent. His father and the co worker describe him as quite prejudiced. And he was probably a self loathing, semi closeted gay.

Possible motives emerge for club gunman as Orlando mourns
Seattle PI

Orlando Gunman Was Familiar Face at Club, Used Gay Dating App, Witnesses Say
KTLA
First Page 2