Random Politics & Religion #14

Eorzea Time

言語: JP EN FR DE
日本語版のFFXIVPRO利用したい場合は、上記の"JP"を設定して、又はjp.ffxivpro.comを直接に利用してもいいです
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #14
Random Politics & Religion #14
First Page 2 3 ... 98 99 100 101
By fonewear 2016-11-24 12:11:57  
Josiahkf said: »
"Obesity isn't an epidemic"

You're an epidemic !
[+]
By Viciouss 2016-11-24 12:17:07  
Colorado is doing its best to stay on a diet.

Undelete | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
サーバ: Garuda
Game: FFXI
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-11-24 13:32:04  
Green Party's Jill Stein Raises Millions for Election Recount
NBC

LOOONG article, openers:
Quote:
Green Party nominee Jill Stein appeared to have met her initial fundraising goal early Thursday for recounts of the vote in three key swing states that went to Donald Trump — Michigan, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin.

However, she quickly raised the sum being sought by another $2 million. "Raising money to pay for the first round so quickly is a miraculous feat and a tribute to the power of grassroots organizing," a message on her website read.

The Green Party did not single out any specific evidence of fraud, nor does it need proof of irregularities to call for a recount. Stein's party won only 1 percent of the vote.

"After a divisive and painful presidential race, reported hacks into voter and party databases and individual email accounts are causing many Americans to wonder if our election results are reliable," Stein said on Wednesday. "These concerns need to be investigated before the 2016 presidential election is certified. We deserve elections we can trust."

A small but vocal group of scientists and activists have emerged in recent days advocating for a recount on the basis of Trump's wholly unexpected win and concerns about Russian involvement in the election. They note that only a small minority of public polls predicted Trump's success, and though public polls have been wrong before the magnitude of their error this cycle was unprecedented.

They also point to evidence Russian hackers infiltrated the Democratic National Committee and potentially a top adviser to Hillary Clinton's campaign as evidence of both ability and willingness. Hackers compromised voter records in Illinois and attempted to breach voting systems in a handful of other states prior to the election.

Clinton's campaign officials have not commented on Stein's efforts, which hinge on the Green Party's ability to pay for a recount....
By fonewear 2016-11-24 15:45:56  
Bismarck.Josiahfk said: »
YouTube Video Placeholder
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-11-24 15:59:41  
Garuda.Chanti said: »
Green Party's Jill Stein Raises Millions for Election Recount
I'm sure we'll find out Jill actually won the election!
By Yatenkou 2016-11-25 00:23:41  
Won't matter, wisconsin's deadline was today, and the other two are the 28th and 30th. Not only that, but if Hillary did scream for a recount after her concession speech which said "Trump is our president" then that's going to make things look extremely fishy and piss off a lot of conservative citizens, and that'll be a bigger problem than the riots in the streets which will be getting shut down if the republican senator from Washington gets his bill passed, which'll label those NGO-backed protests as economic terrorism (Means they're coming for you Soros.)
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2016-11-25 02:38:21  
Yatenkou said: »
Won't matter, wisconsin's deadline was today, and the other two are the 28th and 30th. Not only that, but if Hillary did scream for a recount after her concession speech which said "Trump is our president" then that's going to make things look extremely fishy and piss off a lot of conservative citizens, and that'll be a bigger problem than the riots in the streets which will be getting shut down if the republican senator from Washington gets his bill passed, which'll label those NGO-backed protests as economic terrorism (Means they're coming for you Soros.)
They raised the money to file for all three states already. They almost have enough for the entire process in all three states.

This also has little to nothing to do with seeing if Hillary won. It is to make sure the integrity of the voting process has not been compromised, which is what the many cybersecurity experts have been calling for.

Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2016-11-25 02:42:36  
Yatenkou said: »
that'll be a bigger problem than the riots in the streets which will be getting shut down if the republican senator from Washington gets his bill passed, which'll label those NGO-backed protests as economic terrorism (Means they're coming for you Soros.)
To specifically address this point:

You think his absolutely horribly written bill is a good idea?
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2016-11-25 02:50:51  
*sorry not bill. His horribly written ideas on what he would put in his bill
By eliroo 2016-11-25 05:37:31  
Bahamut.Kara said: »

The premise of his ideas are actually pretty understandable. Why should protests involve destroying public property and hurting local businesses? Why should they involve shutting down public transportation routes?

I mean this isn't even a ban on Freedom of speech, it is just ensure that protests are civil.

I can see where some of these lines can be a bit grey and can maybe be abused.

I think the biggest one is the public transit ones. I think it should just limit them to shutting down major highways or bridges but protester should be allowed to protest on the streets.

But I don't see what is "horribly written" about anything he said in your link.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-11-25 06:11:11  
Just like there's a difference between protected Freedom of Speech and libel, there should be a difference between the freedom of protesting and rioting.

What is happening in cities over Trump's election isn't protesting, it's rioting.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-11-25 06:11:42  
eliroo said: »
It's code for "she doesn't like it."
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2016-11-25 07:50:17  

The premise of his ideas are actually pretty understandable. Why should protests involve destroying public property and hurting local businesses? Why should they involve shutting down public transportation routes?

I mean this isn't even a ban on Freedom of speech, it is just ensure that protests are civil.

I think the biggest one is the public transit ones. I think it should just limit them to shutting down major highways or bridges but protester should be allowed to protest on the streets.

There are many problems but here are a few:

1.There are already laws for destroying property, causing damage, disturbing the peace, etc. This is already illegal.

2. This law will make people who organize the protest, run an organization, or even support the organization with donations.

3. He doesn't define who would determine when protesters shifted from "protesters" to "economic terrorists". Is it the police officers, is it the DA, and what is the exact definition? But this goes against the previous statement that says "anyone who knowingly breaks the law".....how are people who donated to a cause or organized it supposed to be liable for something that happens unintentionally in the middle of a protest? If it was a conspiracy to commit a crime to being with....again their is already a law(s) for that.
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2016-11-25 07:52:17  
2. (Continued) ...held liable for other peoples actions

Oh, I miss edit
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2016-11-25 07:57:45  
Grr...

3. If it was a conspiracy to commit a crime to begin with....again there are already law(s) for that.
By eliroo 2016-11-25 08:01:24  

There are many problems but here are a few:

1.There are already laws for destroying property, causing damage, disturbing the peace, etc. This is already illegal.

2. This law will make people who organize the protest, run an organization, or even support the organization with donations.

3. He doesn't define who would determine when protesters shifted from "protesters" to "economic terrorists". Is it the police officers, is it the DA, and what is the exact definition? But this goes against the previous statement that says "anyone who knowingly breaks the law".....how are people who donated to a cause or organized it supposed to be liable for something that happens unintentionally in the middle of a protest? If it was a conspiracy to commit a crime to being with....again their is already a law(s) for that.

So the people funding and instigating the violent protests can't be held liable? I agree that his description leaves grey area but it if passed through a bill I'm sure it will be more defined.

Furthermore this gives the government power to disrupt protests that are clearly causing property damage.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-11-25 08:07:30  
Going by that theory, there are already laws against assault and battery, so why should there be hate crime laws?

I mean, a hate crime involves another law being broken, so why have a law that makes a specific action more punishable? If you agree with the hate crime law, then there's nothing wrong with this law targeting specific instances where protests turn into riots and destroy property. It's the exact same concept.

2. This law will make people who organize the protest, run an organization, or even support the organization with donations held liable for other people's actions.
Sure, if they pay those people or organize it so violence is not only allowed, but acceptable. Still need to prove that the organizers and financial backers not only allow, but encourage it. May even have court precedence if said organizer/financial backers continue to support said violence after it started (i.e., continue to pump money in said "protests" after it turns into a riot).

3. He doesn't define who would determine when protesters shifted from "protesters" to "economic terrorists". Is it the police officers, is it the DA, and what is the exact definition? But this goes against the previous statement that says "anyone who knowingly breaks the law".....how are people who donated to a cause or organized it supposed to be liable for something that happens unintentionally in the middle of a protest? If it was a conspiracy to commit a crime to being with....again their is already laws for that.
Actually, it's very easy to determine what is a protest and what is a riot. Protests do not destroy property or purposefully shut down traffic. Riots do. It's as simple as that.

Again, the burden of proof lies on the accuser. It's up to the DA to prove that these were riots/economic terrorism and not protests protected by the 1st Amendment. Also, same concept as #1.

I'm surprised you are even questioning this. It's not like it's pretty obvious what this law entails.
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2016-11-25 08:10:11  
So the people funding and instigating the violent protests can't be held liable? I agree that his description leaves grey area but it if passed through a bill I'm sure it will be more defined.

Furthermore this gives the government power to disrupt protests that are clearly causing property damage.
There are already laws for what you are describing.

Conspiracy to commit a crime (property damage, violence, etc) is already a crime.

The government already has the power to move against people who are violent at a protest. Hell, they have the power to move against people who are not violent if they refuse to vacate an area. They arrest people at protests all the time for destroying property, violence, ignoring orders to vacate an area, etc.
By eliroo 2016-11-25 08:27:49  

There are already laws for what you are describing.

Conspiracy to commit a crime (property damage, violence, etc) is already a crime.

The government already has the power to move against people who are violent at a protest. Hell, they have the power to move against people who are not violent if they refuse to vacate an area. They arrest people at protests all the time for destroying property, violence, ignoring orders to vacate an area, etc.

Then why would there be a need to create a new law for that? Does the current law need some more clarity?

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Actually, it's very easy to determine what is a protest and what is a riot. Protests do not destroy property or purposefully shut down traffic. Riots do. It's as simple as that.

I disagree a bit with the last part. I think Protests shouldn't block major highways or all lanes of a bridge but sometimes peaceful protests should be able to block traffic. I, however, that Ambulances and other emergency vehicles should be allowed through and if they are not during a protest it should be a felony.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-11-25 08:32:05  
Asura.Kingnobody said: »

I disagree a bit with the last part. I think Protests shouldn't block major highways or all lanes of a bridge but sometimes peaceful protests should be able to block traffic. I, however, that Ambulances and other emergency vehicles should be allowed through and if they are not during a protest it should be a felony.
I don't see the disagreement.

Can you elaborate more?
By eliroo 2016-11-25 09:11:12  
Protests that block traffic aren't always riots.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-11-25 09:32:32  
Protests that block traffic aren't always riots.
Depends on the traffic.

If it's a side street, maybe even a road, sure, I'll agree with you.

If it's a highway or interstate, then no, that's a riot.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-11-25 09:51:53  
Just to make things perfectly clear this fool dude is a STATE senator. And in the other Washington the GoP has a tenuous hold on the state senate, with the state house and governor being in the hands of the Dems.

TLDR: if it does become a bill, it goes nowhere.
By fonewear 2016-11-25 09:52:24  
YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
By fonewear 2016-11-25 09:55:02  
I'd post Hillary working at her job but she is currently unemployed !
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-11-25 09:56:49  
Garuda.Chanti said: »
Just to make things perfectly clear this fool dude is a STATE senator. And in the other Washington the GoP has a tenuous hold on the state senate, with the state house and governor being in the hands of the Dems.

TLDR: if it does become a bill, it goes nowhere.
And if it's blocked at the state Senate, those state Senators will be on record for supporting riots and destruction of property.

Either way, if this bill doesn't get passed, it's still a win for the GOP.
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-11-25 10:17:00  
You misread King. The state senate is GoP (actually a coalition with one conservative dem) so it could pass the senate. It will never come to a vote in the state house.

Undelete | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-11-25 10:18:23  
That I did.

So, reverse it. If it fails in the house, then the liberal/democrat House members will be on record.

Point still stands.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 98 99 100 101