Random Arguments & Strawmen #15

Eorzea Time

言語: JP EN FR DE
日本語版のFFXIVPRO利用したい場合は、上記の"JP"を設定して、又はjp.ffxivpro.comを直接に利用してもいいです
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Arguments & Strawmen #15
Random Arguments & Strawmen #15
First Page 2 3 ... 7 8 9 ... 46 47 48
By eliroo 2016-11-30 08:59:08  
Asura.Kingnobody said: »
I don't think it's the teacher's fault themselves, they are trying to move to a system that counter to the obvious ways of teaching.

Sure, on paper, Common Core seems reasonable, but in practice, very counter productive.

And remember, Common Core is a progressive idea, championed by Obama, and even the liberal media is calling it worthless. That has to say something, don't you think?

I think it has to do with the results, which may in fact be a teaching problem. They are teaching reasoning which for most older teachers is going to be completely different than what they have been teaching. Common core may actually be better we just haven't had the chance to develop the proper way of teaching it. I would much rather my children learn deductive reasoning then to just simply learn formulas.

Look at the examples I posted earlier, which one do you think teaches applicable stuff more?
 Ragnarok.Nausi
サーバ: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2016-11-30 09:02:16  
Ramyrez said: »
Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Congratulations. All zero out of zero alt-right posters in here are now offended.

Did Nausi get a free vacation?
The worst you can call Nausi is a Tea Party member. Not exactly Alt-Right. Close, but not exactly.
Wait are we talking about the actual alt right or the phantom fake alt right that the left wants to smear as only white racists?

Undelete | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2016-11-30 09:08:17  
Yatenkou said: »
I'm not a traditional conservative, nor do I know much about the alt right. What would I identify as?

1.) I prefer nationalism over globalism
2.) I like news sources that aren't MSM (Just to spite their "facts I don't like" crusade)
3.) I'm severely against the migrant situation in Europe
4.) I'm pro legal immigration but severely against illegal immigration and I support immediate deportation.
5.) I'm against Career politicians and support the proposed term limit on all members of congress

What would I fall under? Serious question.
You share a lot with the alt-right.

How long have you been a racist?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-11-30 09:09:08  
eliroo said: »
I think it has to do with the results, which may in fact be a teaching problem. They are teaching reasoning which for most older teachers is going to be completely different than what they have been teaching. Common core may actually be better we just haven't had the chance to develop the proper way of teaching it. I would much rather my children learn deductive reasoning then to just simply learn formulas.
It may be a teaching issue, but then again, it may not.

It may also be a learning issue. Children may not be able to grasp concepts as advanced as what you are proposing, and may be suffering because the lessons are attempting to teach such concepts and/or teaching such concepts incorrectly.

Then again, like you said, we may not have enough data to determine if CC is right or not. Although, preliminary results do show that it hasn't worked.

Do we take the chance or do we revert back to the old method that really wasn't bad to begin with? Remember, our children's education progress has just as much to do with family involvement as it does with school involvement.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-11-30 09:10:03  
Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Congratulations. All zero out of zero alt-right posters in here are now offended.

The worst you can call Nausi is a Tea Party member. Not exactly Alt-Right. Close, but not exactly.
Wait are we talking about the actual alt right or the phantom fake alt right that the left wants to smear as only white racists?
I thought everyone right of liberals are racists.

That's what protesters and the media keeps telling everyone.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-11-30 09:11:40  
Caitsith.Shiroi said: »
I guess it stems from the fact that I don't think it's ok that people are just fleeing from their problems and demanding more and more and more from the countries they flee to. I suppose I'm just thinking "Why not fix your own damn country if so many of you are migrating? You certainly have the numbers.

Maybe you should open history books and learn about who built the country you love so much.

But ignoring the irony of your opinion, if I had the choice between leaving a shitty country for a better one or dying trying to fix it. I think the choice is easy, maybe you don't value your life.
So, is your solution where we spread more "democracy" to other countries forcibly? How again did that work in the past for the US?

Maybe we should start with Canada first....
By Ramyrez 2016-11-30 09:14:12  
You do realize that the only qualifications Clinton made when calling half (or if you use fuzzy math, 8%) of the nation as deplorable is "anyone not with Clinton," and add the fact that there are protests going on in liberal-heavy cities and colleges protesting the election results and calling Trump voters "deplorable" who's only qualification is what is defined above, that answer is really not hypocritical at all. It's already been stated multiple times, both by a presidential candidate, the media, and various protesters in cities protesting results.

So..."No."

The answer you were looking for is "no."

You cannot sit and go "all liberals think anyone who disagrees with them is deplorable" without falling victim to the same exact faulty mindset they are employing.

Because you are in turn distilling an entire broad spectrum of people with varying beliefs and opinions into one specific thought process. Which is exactly the behavior you're suggesting is wrong.
Nice strawman.

Here I was, using actual evidence (Clinton specifically stated that half of Trump's supporters are deplorable, Slate and the protesters out there even extended it to all) to show that the liberal answer to Yatenkou's question is what I said, and you try to turn this around into an argument I'm not having.

I didn't call liberals "deplorables," actually nobody did. Nor did I label them other that what they are (you know, liberals). You cannot say that I'm labeling anyone who's not conservative as <insert derogatory term> because that would be your entire "hypocritical" argument, but I never did such of a thing.

In short: Either prove that the liberals out there never said that Trump supporters are deplorable (you cannot) or show where I stated that everyone not conservative is <insert derogatory term> (and thus, hypocritical, which you cannot).

So each and every liberal subscribes to the notion that each and every Donald Trump voter is deplorable?
 Shiva.Nikolce
サーバ: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-11-30 09:14:13  
At my university

So you're young and you have your whole life ahead of you to ponder these great mysteries. There is no race to cement your ideals into stone tablets right now. Take your time. Stay loose and keep an open mind. Not open to the point of gullibility.... But open at least to the point of empathy. Listen to others without judging them right off. I know it's cheesy as a plate of nachos but try the serenity prayer

Altana, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference.
[+]
By eliroo 2016-11-30 09:14:27  
Do we take the chance or do we revert back to the old method that really wasn't bad to begin with? Remember, our children's education progress has just as much to do with family involvement as it does with school involvement.

I think if we can all acknowledge that the old teaching methods were wrong in the first place we can all agree that something needs to change. Maybe CC isn't the answer but instead of trying to remove it, we should find ways to either make it better or change it entirely. Standing in the way of change, in regards to our children's education, is only going to hurt our future generations.
By Ramyrez 2016-11-30 09:17:25  

Just because a portion of the left has been crying wolf (racist) for so long it's lost meaning doesn't mean there aren't actual racists in the alt-right movement.
By eliroo 2016-11-30 09:19:03  
Nice strawman.

I just wanted to point out that Raymerez's argument was still on topic to what he was discussing and what you were replying to. By you claiming that his argument was a strawman then you are admitting that your argument was a red herring.
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-11-30 09:24:17  
Just because a portion of the left has been crying wolf (racist) for so long it's lost meaning doesn't mean there aren't actual racists in the alt-right movement.

IT DOESN'T MEAN THERE ARE EITHER.

Have you personally talked to any of them?
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-11-30 09:30:20  
You do realize that the only qualifications Clinton made when calling half (or if you use fuzzy math, 8%) of the nation as deplorable is "anyone not with Clinton," and add the fact that there are protests going on in liberal-heavy cities and colleges protesting the election results and calling Trump voters "deplorable" who's only qualification is what is defined above, that answer is really not hypocritical at all. It's already been stated multiple times, both by a presidential candidate, the media, and various protesters in cities protesting results.

So..."No."

The answer you were looking for is "no."

You cannot sit and go "all liberals think anyone who disagrees with them is deplorable" without falling victim to the same exact faulty mindset they are employing.

Because you are in turn distilling an entire broad spectrum of people with varying beliefs and opinions into one specific thought process. Which is exactly the behavior you're suggesting is wrong.
Nice strawman.

Here I was, using actual evidence (Clinton specifically stated that half of Trump's supporters are deplorable, Slate and the protesters out there even extended it to all) to show that the liberal answer to Yatenkou's question is what I said, and you try to turn this around into an argument I'm not having.

I didn't call liberals "deplorables," actually nobody did. Nor did I label them other that what they are (you know, liberals). You cannot say that I'm labeling anyone who's not conservative as <insert derogatory term> because that would be your entire "hypocritical" argument, but I never did such of a thing.

In short: Either prove that the liberals out there never said that Trump supporters are deplorable (you cannot) or show where I stated that everyone not conservative is <insert derogatory term> (and thus, hypocritical, which you cannot).

So each and every liberal subscribes to the notion that each and every Donald Trump voter is deplorable?
There's not much evidence stating the contrary.

Sure, I cannot say every liberal, but when the spokespeople for the liberal message and a vast number of liberal supporters (almost 5 million people) are stating what I stated, then you have to admit that my answer would be the general consensus.

I'm sure you will twist this into saying that people who voted for Trump are "deplorables" based by your interpretation of my words. Go for it.
By eliroo 2016-11-30 09:31:01  
Caitsith.Shiroi said: »
I guess it stems from the fact that I don't think it's ok that people are just fleeing from their problems and demanding more and more and more from the countries they flee to. I suppose I'm just thinking "Why not fix your own damn country if so many of you are migrating? You certainly have the numbers.

Maybe you should open history books and learn about who built the country you love so much.

But ignoring the irony of your opinion, if I had the choice between leaving a shitty country for a better one or dying trying to fix it. I think the choice is easy, maybe you don't value your life.

Jesus christ, the guy is just sharing his opinion and is genuinely curious about what political platform he falls under and everyone starts badgering on him with ad hominem attacks.

That isn't how you approach someone, none-the-less talk to them about the issues facing our nation(s). If you wanna convince someone they are wrong try doing it in a respectable manor and maybe they will listen and understand.
 Garuda.Chanti
サーバ: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-11-30 09:31:03  
Shiva.Nikolce said: »
What exactly are you against in regards to migrants in Europe? The migrants? The act of migrating? What's it any business of yours anyways?
I guess it stems from the fact that I don't think it's ok that people are just fleeing from their problems and demanding more and more and more from the countries they flee to. I suppose I'm just thinking "Why not fix your own damn country if so many of you are migrating? You certainly have the numbers. Then I see things on the internet like tv shows to teach young Muslim women how to cover their bruises up after their husbands beat them (Yes this was a legit thing and I'll grab the article if requested.)
Mostly they are running from a multifaceted war. Its rather hard to fix your country when you are being barrel bombed.

Also backread. I posted the makeup article some pages ago.

Assuming you're American the good news is Europe's immigration problems don't effect us a whole bunch. I'm sure once we get our immigration problems sorted out they cam decide whether or not to impliment any of our strategies over there.
I hope that is the case, but with the whole situation at Ohio State and people actually feeling sympathy for someone who up until he got shot dead was trying to stab people, I just feel so disgusted in my own country.

What does the Ohio State attack have to do with European immigration?

... George Soros ... Soros' buddies ... Soros....
This is the same George Soros who is BBFs with Trump's Treasury secretary? Yep, thought so.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-11-30 09:32:35  

I think if we can all acknowledge that the old teaching methods were wrong in the first place we can all agree that something needs to change. Maybe CC isn't the answer but instead of trying to remove it, we should find ways to either make it better or change it entirely. Standing in the way of change, in regards to our children's education, is only going to hurt our future generations.
Except when it's standing in the way of making things worse.

Remember, people were stating before Obamacare was passed that it was a bad idea. Just not enough people were able to block it thanks to a Congressional ploy called "reconciliation."

Maybe change isn't always the best answer. Ever thought of that?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-11-30 09:33:05  
Nice strawman.

I just wanted to point out that Raymerez's argument was still on topic to what he was discussing and what you were replying to. By you claiming that his argument was a strawman then you are admitting that your argument was a red herring.
You...do know what a strawman argument is, right?
By Ramyrez 2016-11-30 09:33:17  

IT DOESN'T MEAN THERE ARE EITHER.

Have you personally talked to any of them?

Face-to-face, not on the internet?

Not that I'm aware of. All of the racists I know in real life are the old school kind.
By eliroo 2016-11-30 09:34:30  

I'm sure you will twist this into saying that people who voted for Trump are "deplorables" based by your interpretation of my words. Go for it.

To be fair she said "Half of the Donald Trump supporters are deplorable" and quickly apologized for the statement (After it blew up in her face).

So it wasn't all Trump voters are deplorable, It was Half of the Trump supporters are deplorable. Which, to be fair, if you look at movements like the alt-right those people are pretty deplorable, but I don't know if they made up "Half" of his supporters at the time of the statement.
By Ramyrez 2016-11-30 09:35:57  
Nice strawman.

You...do know what a strawman argument is, right?

There was no straw man in my statement. What I was asking was a valid question because the conversation goes two entirely different ways based on your thought process.

You either don't see why saying "liberals all think all Trump supporters are deplorable" is an inherently problematic complaint OR you understand what you're saying and just feel your double standard is perfectly valid and acceptable.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-11-30 09:39:07  
So it wasn't all Trump voters are deplorable, It was Half of the Trump supporters are deplorable. Which, to be fair, if you look at movements like the alt-right those people are pretty deplorable, but I don't know if they made up "Half" of his supporters at the time of the statement.

Admitting that at least some people may have voted for DT because of his enabling of their inappropriate beliefs seems to somehow equate to saying his other voters share in those beliefs, ipso facto we're calling all of them deplorable racists/etc./etc.

Which I didn't think was the case, but unfortunately you have people like CJ who do run around calling each and every Trump voter racist/etc., so sadly there's evidence on both sides of gross generalizations and sweeping rhetoric causing major disconnect.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2016-11-30 09:40:12  
Change is usually the only answer...
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-11-30 09:40:43  
Come on... any thinking person knows that the alt-right is comprised of many more factions than just white racists.

There are homophobes, neo natzis, white nationalists, mysigonists, and anti semites to name just a few factions.

But individual members of the alt right happen to be any faith, gender, or color you can imagine. For instance, one of the most respected loudmouths in the alt-right is a screaming British gay.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-11-30 09:40:47  
All of the racists I know in real life are the old school kind.

Exactly. Don't believe everything that you breathe. You get a parking violation and a maggot on your sleeve....
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-11-30 09:42:43  

To be fair she said "Half of the Donald Trump supporters are deplorable" and quickly apologized for the statement (After it blew up in her face).

Even if you do the fuzzy math on it (and ignore the same fuzzy math on Romney's 47% statement), you are still saying between 8-10% of all America are "deplorables." Are you willing to state that 24-40 million people in America are racist/sexist/xenophobic/<insert derogatory term>? And you wonder why Clinton lost still?

There was no straw man in my statement. What I was asking was a valid question because the conversation goes two entirely different ways based on your thought process.

You either don't see why saying "liberals all think all Trump supporters are deplorable" is an inherently problematic complaint OR you understand what you're saying and just feel your double standard is perfectly valid and acceptable.
Where in any of my statements did I say all liberals?

I shown you evidence where liberals are saying that "half" or, in the case of Slate, all Trump supporters are deplorables. I also stated that these are the mouthpieces of the liberal mindset. I also stated that there are people who are acting based by what the liberal mouthpieces stated (hence the protests over a person who isn't even in power and they are protesting against).

I'm using evidence and you are using nothing but your own assertions. You claimed that I was being hypocritical, but you didn't point out the hypocrisy in any of my statements.

I also did not use double standards because, again, I'm using the liberal mouthpieces' own words.
By Ramyrez 2016-11-30 09:43:43  
All of the racists I know in real life are the old school kind.

Exactly. Don't believe everything that you breathe. You get a parking violation and a maggot on your sleeve....

DON'T PUSH YOUR SCIENTOLOGICAL CLAPTRAP ON ME
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-11-30 09:45:38  
Garuda.Chanti said: »
Come on... any thinking person knows that the alt-right is comprised of many more factions than just white racists.

There are homophobes, neo natzis, white nationalists, mysigonists, and anti semites to name just a few factions.

But individual members of the alt right happen to be any faith, gender, or color you can imagine. For instance, one of the most respected loudmouths in the alt-right is a screaming British gay.
None of those qualifications of "deplorables" are a Republican-only trait.

There are just as many homophobes, neo-nazis, white (or people of color) nationalists, mysigonists, and anti-semites (hey, didn't the DNC just elect one of the most outspoken anti-semite to head the DNC chair?) on both sides of the aisles.

Or are you going to lambaste a problem against your "enemies" and ignore the problems within?
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-11-30 09:46:05  
... a vast number of liberal supporters (almost 5 million people)....
In a country of 325 million people 5 million isn't vast.

It isn't even half vast.
[+]
By Yatenkou 2016-11-30 09:46:21  
I'm not a traditional conservative, nor do I know much about the alt right. What would I identify as?

1.) I prefer nationalism over globalism
2.) I like news sources that aren't MSM (Just to spite their "facts I don't like" crusade)
3.) I'm severely against the migrant situation in Europe
4.) I'm pro legal immigration but severely against illegal immigration and I support immediate deportation.
5.) I'm against Career politicians and support the proposed term limit on all members of congress

What would I fall under? Serious question.
You share a lot with the alt-right.

How long have you been a racist?
Eh, everyone's a little racist when you think about it. Go look at twitter or Facebook, I guess I can live with that.

Regardless though, conservatives have helped the country just as much as the Democrats if you take into consideration the democrats back then are more likely republican today in terms of values, and vice versa
First Page 2 3 ... 7 8 9 ... 46 47 48