Random Politics & Religion #28: The Last One

Eorzea Time

言語: JP EN FR DE
日本語版のFFXIVPRO利用したい場合は、上記の"JP"を設定して、又はjp.ffxivpro.comを直接に利用してもいいです
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #28: The Last One
Random Politics & Religion #28: The Last One
First Page 2 3 ... 21 22 23 ... 98 99 100
By fonewear 2017-10-05 13:25:50  
Words have meaning while I'll be damned. I thought they didn't have meanings.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-10-05 13:25:51  
Phoenix.Thorbean said: »
3: Feel free to back up your claim of most soldiers being conservatives with some sources.
K.

In case you want a flawed assessment of the why (disclaimer: this article is too funny to be true. The assertion makes it almost like an Onion article)

You know, a couple of sources that proves Savael right (again).

4: Civilians getting involved in a war where both sides have tanks and jets never ends well.
..you do realize that our military is completely voluntary now, right? These are citizens trained for war.

Do you honestly think the US military is going to turn on the citizens of the US?
[+]
By Ramyrez 2017-10-05 13:30:45  
Asura.Saevel said: »
That's a pretty *** big difference, especially since the topic was that said military would be on the side of the tyrannical government which is violating that Constitution.

I specifically that that many -- if not most all -- would not follow such orders...
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-10-05 13:37:05  
Unless the government is comprised of catwomen, there is no way in hell I would follow it to commit serious acts against humanity.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2017-10-05 13:39:07  
Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Unless the government is comprised of catwomen, there is no way in hell I would follow it to commit serious acts against humanity.

Which is what I'm saying. I hope and suspect the vast majority of soldiers wouldn't "just follow orders" in such a scenario. It's fundamentally against everything our nation stands for.
[+]
By fonewear 2017-10-05 13:40:00  

And where are these catwomen you speak of ?
[+]
 Phoenix.Thorbean
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Thorbean
By Phoenix.Thorbean 2017-10-05 13:51:17  
3: Feel free to back up your claim of most soldiers being conservatives with some sources.
K.

In case you want a flawed assessment of the why (disclaimer: this article is too funny to be true. The assertion makes it almost like an Onion article)

You know, a couple of sources that proves Savael right (again).

Polls are always right? People don't say they would vote 1 way then switch sides in the privacy of the voting station? Opinions tend to change depending on who the person is talking to when both sides demonize each other to the extent they do in the US.

Quote:
..you do realize that our military is completely voluntary now, right? These are citizens trained for war.

Do you honestly think the US military is going to turn on the citizens of the US?

Do you? If you do, then lol. If you don't then why do you need guns again?

Those citizens without the propper tools for the job? K.

Asura.Saevel said: »
That's a pretty *** big difference, especially since the topic was that said military would be on the side of the tyrannical government which is violating that Constitution.

The point being made is that it would never happen, but even if it did, armed civilians would not help the situation. Chances are it would make it worse, so people should stop using it as an argument for holding on to their guns. Make an argument based on reality.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2017-10-05 13:52:23  
K.
Quote:
The results, while not a scientific sampling of military voting patterns (see our methodology below),
Quote:
The voluntary nature of this survey, the dependence on email and the characteristics of Military Times readers may affect the results. Statistical margins of error commonly reported in opinion polls that use random sampling can't be calculated for this survey.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-10-05 14:02:27  
Polls are always right?
/lights the Ravael signal.

People don't say they would vote 1 way then switch sides in the privacy of the voting station? Opinions tend to change depending on who the person is talking to when both sides demonize each other to the extent they do in the US.
Then you prove that the military voted more for Clinton than Trump, even though voting records are (in most states) confidential, even among the military.

It is a well known fact that the military lean more towards Republicans than they do Democrats in recent years. But since you ask for sources, here's another one that signifies the obvious.

Do you?
Do I think that the US military will turn against their neighbors, friends, and family in favor of the US government? No.

Question is, do you?

If you don't then why do you need guns again?
Me personally or in general?

Now let me ask you: Are you a US citizen?
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-10-05 14:05:42  
Ramyrez said: »

Which is what I'm saying. I hope and suspect the vast majority of soldiers wouldn't "just follow orders" in such a scenario. It's fundamentally against everything our nation stands for.
It's hard to say since the whole purpose of boot camp is to break down the solider to their fundamentals and build them up as the military sees fit.
[+]

Undelete | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Phoenix.Thorbean
By Phoenix.Thorbean 2017-10-05 14:16:32  
Then you prove that the military voted more for Clinton than Trump, even though voting records are (in most states) confidential, even among the military.
You or I can't prove it either way, so don't use it as an argument.

Quote:
Do I think that the US military will turn against their neighbors, friends, and family in favor of the US government? No.

Question is, do you?
No, which is why I don't think arming civilians so they can fight against an oppressive government is a valid argument to use.

Quote:
Now let me ask you: Are you a US citizen?
How is that relevant? I'm not allowed to point out flawed logic unless I'm an American citizen?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-10-05 14:28:49  
You or I can't prove it either way, so don't use it as an argument.
Savael stated a well-known fact. You ask for sources, I provided (at the time) 2 of them for you, you denied it because you think that a significant number of people who stated that they will vote one way would change it at the voting booth (while it's true that Trump voters didn't declare that they were Trump voters when polled, they didn't declare that they were Clinton voters either, which is why the hidden majority that Trump saw, but pollsters missed, came out for Election Day).

I can't help it if you deny well-known facts.

No, which is why I don't think arming civilians so they can fight against an oppressive government is a valid argument to use.
It's not, but it's not the main argument people used. It's a sub-argument, one that was the real reason why the 2nd Amendment was made, but became irrelevant in later years.

How is that relevant? I'm not allowed to point out flawed logic unless I'm an American citizen?
If you have no idea about American culture, then you wouldn't understand American culture. Guns in the US are purchased/used for 2 main purposes: Hunting and recreational. Recreational meaning either collecting (for either future value or just to collect) or recreational use (aka going to the firing range and unload a few rounds).

Since it seems highly likely that you are not a US citizen, it's fair to say that you don't understand either of these purposes. Especially if all you understand about American Culture is what is portrayed by Hollywood and Mainstream Media, which get's what real America is completely and fully wrong 99% of the time.

Which also explains Trump and the current Derangement Syndrome you see from Hollywood and MSM.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2017-10-05 14:29:11  
It's hard to say since the whole purpose of boot camp is to break down the solider to their fundamentals and build them up as the military sees fit.

I know a lot of vets and current service members.

None of them have "changed team" so to speak because of their training or service.

And on the "voting" side of this argument, my friends are about 50/50 left/right in the military. Though of those the Army guys are almost universally pretty conservative where the Navy and Air Force guys are where all the liberals are. The Marines in my family don't really give a ***about politics, they just don't want to be assed with it.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-10-05 14:33:46  
And on the "voting" side of this argument, my friends are about 50/50 left/right in the military. Though of those the Army guys are almost universally pretty conservative where the Navy and Air Force guys are where all the liberals are. The Marines in my family don't really give a ***about politics, they just don't want to be assed with it.
Again, it's hard to say.

The common perception is that the majority of the military are conservative-leaning. Since there are no actual data other than polling to use, but such polling has a 95% confidence rate (usually), it's safe to say that the polling is correct.

/relights the Ravael signal.

Is this thing on?
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2017-10-05 14:45:14  
There's no such thing as a confidence rate lol
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-10-05 14:49:52  
confidence interval.

Even I would have expected you to understand that Pleebo. But then again, you are you. Sometimes, I'm surprised you are able to breath and walk at the same time, going by your posts here.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2017-10-05 14:51:21  
CIs have nothing to do with a poll being "correct".
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-10-05 14:53:31  
Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
CIs have nothing to do with a poll being "correct".
So, why have the polls? Why even try to make it with such a high confidence interval then?

I mean, it's pretty obvious to the rest of us, but let's hear it from you.

See you in 5 weeks.

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-10-05 14:58:46  
It wasn't a personal attack, it was an observation.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2017-10-05 15:07:25  
It's an estimate of how well the poll results describe the data. Correctness is more a matter of methodology. In your linked example, the methodology was self-described as inadequate so it's not really a result worth considering.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-10-05 15:12:37  
Fine, you don't agree with one of the polls because, even though it's consistent with the other set of polls I sourced, and even though they admit that it's not a perfect representation (surprise! It wasn't meant to be. But the FiveThirtyEight polling does a better job, and it states basically the same thing. I guess you are going to gloss over that one, huh?), but it doesn't really matter anyway.

Are you denying reality again? Are you saying that the military isn't Republican-leaning?
 Phoenix.Thorbean
By Phoenix.Thorbean 2017-10-05 15:16:20  
Quote:
A fact is usually backed up by solid proof, not opinions and feelings. You didn't show any fact based data, so stop making up "facts" and call it what it is, a feeling.

Quote:
Since it seems highly likely that you are not a US citizen, it's fair to say that you don't understand either of these purposes. Especially if all you understand about American Culture is what is portrayed by Hollywood and Mainstream Media, which get's what real America is completely and fully wrong 99% of the time.
Fair but wrong, I grew up in Scotland hunting deer and geese (not much else to hunt here). I fully understand those purposes and I'm not against them if correctly licensed and controlled.

Enough banging my head against a brick wall though. HF!
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-10-05 15:16:57  

I know a lot of vets and current service members.

None of them have "changed team" so to speak because of their training or service.

Now go lookup how large, manpower wise, each of those services is. Here is a hint, the Army dwarfs all the other services in size by a gigantic margin, especially if NG and AR are taken into account.

Let me tell you why there is such a large amount of conservatives in the military, it has to do with the strange and alien concept (to the left) of patriotism. The US Military is an volunteer only force, meaning people must choose to join. The pay is ***, the benefits are pretty good for family but ***for the soldier. There is a "pension" but you are required to sacrifice your best years and your bodies health in order to earn it. The only two reasons left to join are college money and because you actually love your country. Guess sort of people leave after 4~6 years and which sort stay 10+?

So yeah liberals burning flags and doing other disrespectful things doesn't exactly appeal to people in the military who are asked to sacrifice their health for that flag.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-10-05 15:18:55  
That ***was funny, KN nailed it.

Since it seems highly likely that you are not a US citizen

I grew up in Scotland

Funny that non-Americans are experts on American culture and politics.

And yeah dude is a liberal, exactly as I said earlier.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2017-10-05 15:26:30  
I never said anything about political leaning of the military.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-10-05 15:34:31  
Quote:
A fact is usually backed up by solid proof, not opinions and feelings. You didn't show any fact based data, so stop making up "facts" and call it what it is, a feeling.
Well, it is a fact that the military votes. It is also a fact that greater than 50% of the military are or identify as Republican (voting registration polls indicate this, and that's public information). So, is that proof enough, or are you still going to deny it?

Fair but wrong, I grew up in Scotland hunting deer and geese (not much else to hunt here). I fully understand those purposes and I'm not against them if correctly licensed and controlled.
Two questions then:

1) Do you think that the US doesn't license people regarding firearms and firearm sales?
2) Do you know about how popular hunting and recreational use of guns are in the US?

I'm pretty sure you will get both answers wrong. Going by your very limited information regarding the US, that is.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-10-05 15:36:55  
Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
I never said anything about political leaning of the military.
Ah, so basically you inserted yourself just to nitpick.

Well, that's really par-for-the-course in your posting habits. You offer little observation and a lot of snark. But then again, most people here do so too (I'm all for snarkiness).
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 21 22 23 ... 98 99 100