フォーラム » FFXI » General » Dev Tracker - Discussion
Dev Tracker - Discussion
First Page 2 3 ... 127 128 129 ... 424 425 426
 Bismarck.Nickeny
サーバ: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2020-03-30 13:04:36  
Never understood the logic of Dyna d cool down. So many zones are empty and could be farmed but people just do the weekly bonus zones because of the time-gated ki to get more items out of their time(just searched all dyna d zones all are empty on Bismarck) which only helps to stabilize item cost that drop in those zones.

I really thought them adding new zones would allow them to lower the time gate or allow people to farm zones individually by locking each zone with specific timers to each one. Wishful thinking...
 Leviathan.Isiolia
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Isiolia
By Leviathan.Isiolia 2020-03-30 13:41:03  
Bismarck.Nickeny said: »
I really thought them adding new zones would allow them to lower the time gate or allow people to farm zones individually by locking each zone with specific timers to each one. Wishful thinking...

Having the time-gating remain is logical, in the sense that SE wants players to continue having something to grind.

I think the odd thing is having a single bonus zone, since like you mentioned, that tends to mean most groups just do that. Instead, there could be a set of bonuses that rotate through - make one zone easy mode for those just looking to clear, one give double RP, one more medals, another more shards. Something like that.
 Bismarck.Nickeny
user: Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2020-03-30 14:28:10  
Leviathan.Isiolia said: »
Having the time-gating remain is logical, in the sense that SE wants players to continue having something to grind.

I agree - Just its been out a while now - Wouldn't hurt much to lower entry time or something
 Bismarck.Rwolf
user: Rwolf
By Bismarck.Rwolf 2020-04-14 12:04:26  
Another Dev interview. Pretty short and mostly repeat questions.

Quote:
Despite being strong solo, Blue Mage is getting left behind by other damage dealing jobs in group content. Any plans to update Blue Mage's damage capabilities?

Akihiko Matsui: Our design philosophy is to balance jobs so those which are capable of doing a wide variety of things, such as blue mage, are not also stronger at roles which other jobs are focused on in their playstyle.

Has your development team discovered any ways to reduce server lag and congestion during high-population events, such as Dynamis Divergence zones?

Akihiko Matsui: At the moment, it's very difficult for us to make any more adjustments in that direction. We unfortunately cannot remedy issues with model rendering unless we were to adjust config settings.

Yoji Fujito: There will always be some amount of lag when it comes to content with a large number of players. We try to design new content (not updated or revamped content) to minimize lag-related issues, As the underlying systems are all premised on PS2 specifications, it isn't feasible for us to make adjustments to those systems (for example, revising the model rendering system itself or changing the way data its sent to and received from the server.)

Is the team still working with development tools from the PS2 version of FFXI? The reason I ask this is that in a Famitsu interview from a couple of years ago, this was listed as a reason why FFXI could not be ported to newer consoles such as the PS4. Is there any discussion on bringing FFXI to newer consoles at this stage?

Akihiko Matsui: The current development environment is not the same as it was at the time [of that particular interview], and we are regularly updating our processes to continue to provide FINAL FANTASY XI content to our players.

Any plans for a standalone game so players that aren't comfortable with MMO content can still enjoy the story?

Akihiko Matsui: Although there are currently no plans for this, if we were to do so, I don't feel it would be feasible to simply take Final Fantasy XI as it is and create a standalone version. We could create a much better offline version of the game if we used game design philosophies that are focused on an offline experience.

Yoji Fujito: We are aware that there is a modicum of interest in this kind of experience. There is nothing currently in the pipeline for this, but if were to do so, we would be unable to use many of our MMO-centric designs, so any product would likely deviate quite a bit from what most players are envisioning.

Is the Mobile version of FFXI still in development with NEXON? Can you share any information on the project, such as release date or pre-registration?

As this is a joint project with NEXON, we are unable to provide an answer to this question at present.

Do you have anything else you'd like to add for the Final Fantasy XI community?
Yoji Fujito: First of all, I would like to thank you all very much for continuing your adventures in Vana’diel. Since our launch in Japan in 2002 and expansion of service to North America in 2003, we have seen many people visit Vana’diel throughout the years. Thanks to you all, we will soon be heading into our 19th year of operation this May.

Operating for such a long time has only been possible because our players continue to explore Vana’diel and defend it from peril time and time again. Even if only for a few minutes, the fact that you have stepped foot in Vana’diel adds color and depth to this world and thus preserves its form. Our development team merely prepare the foundation for that adventure—it is our players who truly make up the heart and soul of this world. On the road to this next milestone, we would like to extend our gratitude in saying one thing ahead of May 16th – happy 18th anniversary! We hope that each and every one of you visit Vana’diel and continue to assist those within it. Your support is greatly appreciated!

Akihiko Matsui: Final Fantasy XI is going to be celebrating its 18th anniversary very soon, and I want to thank everyone for your support. I’m quite surprised to see all the excitement coming out of the North American community over the last couple of years. We hope that with the help of the North American Community team we can establish an even closer relationship with our players and strengthen the communication between the development and operations team and you, the players. Your continued support is greatly appreciated by the entire team!

Thank you for your time.
By zigzagzig 2020-04-14 12:10:12  
Has your development team discovered any ways to reduce server lag and congestion during high-population events, such as Dynamis Divergence zones?

... unless we were to adjust config settings.

( they could .... but they won't )

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Pantafernando 2020-04-14 14:46:11  
zigzagzig said: »

... unless we were to adjust config settings.

( they could .... but they won't )

The other day guys on discord were discussing about lag issues. Recently i did Mireu and its literaly impossible to fight it unless youre like in the first people in fight or is just lucky enough to have loaded it correctly. Personally the entire fight i didnt even see it. I was totally ready to fight but no avail.

Guys on discord said that besieged despite being a server wide content, it worked better due to different approach that i wont be able to explain, but this approach seemed to be dropped forever.

Thats to say, they can do better, inside the game there is already a better solution to server wide content, but they wont revamp it.

Now is just to hope they can revisit besieged and improve the approach to better acomodate large number or players/foes
By SimonSes 2020-04-14 17:37:23  
To see Mireu, go far away from him (in case of Reisenjima, go behind escha warp) and very slowly keep going back. Stop with each yalm for few seconds and let things load in the distance.
[+]
 Leviathan.Andret
user: Andret
By Leviathan.Andret 2020-04-14 18:15:23  
Summery:

#1 We don't have any more man power to work on FFXI
#2 We don't have any more money to throw at FFXI
#3 We can't fix the game fundamental problems
#4 We can't port the game
#5 We can't make single player game only
#6 We gonna keep chugging along with minor tweaks and patchwork until nobody plays this anymore.
#7 We probably make a new game than renew this one but we'll see.

It seems understandable as this is a business decision. They are better of investing in making a new game and grab as much players as they can rather than going down the nostalgic route.

You need a fairly big player base to attempt the nostalgic route. FFVII and the other "remake" follows that line. The other "remake" (Chrono Trigger, FFIV, FFV, FFVIII...etc) would be like FFXI with minimal porting, no engine upgrade...etc. they probably didn't work out as well as they expected.

If FF7 remake will do well, they will probably consider FF11 remake with new engine and stuff. If it flops... well...
[+]
 Asura.Veikur
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Veikur 2020-04-22 03:50:17  
Twinfinite Interview

Not much here, other than the fact Absolute Virtue was created at Tanaka's request as a theoretically, but not realistically killable boss.

***' Tanaka.
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2020-04-22 04:11:59  
Was the interviewer starting to sweeten the pill or does he really thinks that WotG is the favourite story for the majority of players?

I dunno, can't speak for everyone but I personally rank it bottom among the storylines of FFXI °-°

Too much cheap narrative tools abused, too much anime stereotypes, too much time to see the end of it (and the feeling that some parts were made on the way and not planned since the beginning).
Last but not least the fact that the three city stories barely intertwined with the main expansion plotline, as if they were completely independent stories written by different people who weren't talking to each other.
Oh! Surprise! It's exactely what happened, they were written by different people :-P

I mean, there are several parts I loved of course but overall it's my least favourite.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Andret
user: Andret
By Leviathan.Andret 2020-04-22 05:04:43  
I really like WOTG thought. Probably right after COP. Maybe because I only did the windurst story line so it wasn't as bad for me. I sort of liked it after finishing the windurst missions.
By SimonSes 2020-04-22 05:16:25  
Asura.Sechs said: »
Was the interviewer starting to sweeten the pill or does he really thinks that WotG is the favourite story for the majority of players?

I dunno, can't speak for everyone but I personally rank it bottom among the storylines of FFXI °-°

Too much cheap narrative tools abused, too much anime stereotypes, too much time to see the end of it (and the feeling that some parts were made on the way and not planned since the beginning).
Last but not least the fact that the three city stories barely intertwined with the main expansion plotline, as if they were completely independent stories written by different people who weren't talking to each other.
Oh! Surprise! It's exactely what happened, they were written by different people :-P

I mean, there are several parts I loved of course but overall it's my least favourite.

For me its on top, but Im the book reader, so I dont mind story being long. Generally I think most people who dislike WotG are not really interested in good storyline, but in fast pushover storyline to go back into dailies and endgame faster.

I dont remember Bastok and Windurst part much, but Sandoria is definitely connected to main plotline.

I also like characters from wotg the most. Lilisette, Lady Lilith, Spitwardens, young Griffons etc.

Also afaik its the first expansion which presented some great fight choreographic in some cutscenes, instead of only two persons auto attacking each other.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2020-04-22 05:37:08  
Leviathan.Andret said: »
Quote | Reply  | Report | Score: 0 +

I consider base+RotZ+CoP the same storyline, really.

The Windurst WotG story was pretty nice but it was a separate thing (like all cities stories, as I said before) from the WotG main plotline, which is what I was talking about and what I assume the guy I quoted from the interview was talking about as well :x
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2020-04-22 05:45:25  
SimonSes said: »
Generally I think most people who dislike WotG are not really interested in good storyline, but in fast pushover storyline to go back into dailies and endgame faster.
Not sure if it's the case for other people who put WotG story on the bottom, but it's definitely not the case for me.

Of course it made things worse but it's certainly not my main concern.
It was more about silly anime stereotypes and bad narrative tools (multiverse cheap stuff, time/dimension travel, debateable retcons and most of all the "you're not the original universe!" thing, which in a different form kinda got replicated recently in FFXIV, not a surprise I didn't like it there either lol).
For me it was very bad writing.
Base game, RotZ and most of CoP were simple but epic, for my tastes.
In-game narration was not always good enough because they had to learn I suppose, but you could really feel how the story was really planned out from the beginning, I love that feeling, gives me an idea of "solidity", of epicness.

WotG gives me the feeling of 16years old light novel, but that's just me of course :x

Again, I'm talking about the main storyline not the subplots (they all had different writers, minus one, who didn't work with each other)

Quote:
I dont remember Bastok and Windurst part much, but Sandoria is definitely connected to main plotline.
They all are, but it's a pretty loose connection and quite inconsequential.
I remember one of those 3 stories having a better connection (surprise surprise, the author was the same of the main story xD) but I don't remember which. Think it was Sandy?

My favourite city story was the Windurst one, overall I loved it.
The Zeid retcon instead was quite a huge disappointment.
The way they handled Elivira (which had lot of potential!) too, sigh :-(

I also like characters from wotg the most. Lilisette, Lady Lilith, Spitwardens, young Griffons etc.

Also afaik its the first expansion which presented some great fight choreographic in some cutscenes, instead of only two persons auto attacking each other.

If we're speaking about "cutscene direction quality" of course WotG is aeons ahead of the past. They "learned" a lot from the past and had much better tools in their hands.
RoV and SoA is even better in that sense, they kept on improving bit by bit over the years.
I was of course talking exclusively about the script though, not visual quality.
 Bismarck.Xurion
user: Xurion
By Bismarck.Xurion 2020-04-22 06:16:18  
If we're speaking about "cutscene direction quality" of course WotG is aeons ahead of the past.
I can still remember how excited I got when my character started to get warped via the Maw (using the white feather) and I saw him reacting to what was happening in a way I'd never seen before.
[+]
By Pantafernando 2020-04-22 06:17:25  

Opinions are opinions, for me, its the story i enjoyed the most to read. It can use some known and cheap concepts in terms of story but i think they used the functional ones. Time traveling is a potent theme if used correctly. And also they used the most charismatic (imo) heroine in game in this story (not the princess-like and a lot more cheerful than the other waifus).

But answeeing the quote, imo the majority of playerbase just smash enter button during cutscenes and see story missions as a chore. So for them wotg will be the worst because its long and has a lot of walking (SoA probably is worse though).

But for everyone that care with story, i read most positive commenting than negative regarding wotg
 Carbuncle.Nynja
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2020-04-22 06:20:18  
The problem with WotG storyline was that it was spaced over 3 years and 1 month. WotG released Nov 2007, the 3 expansions (ACP MKE ASA) released Apr/Jul/Nov 2009, Abyssea released Jun/Sep/Dec 2010, with Heroes coinciding with the end of the WotG storyline. SE released five expansions completely unrelated to WotG before finishing WotG.

I think a lot of endgamers were disappointed in WotG because it didnt offer much. I think the only HNM's were SW and Ixion, a handful of the loot was actually better than older gear, most was sidegrades. The stronghold invasion loot was rather lackluster for all the effort involved. The ANNM system also provided rather shitty gear, I dont think anyone really gave a ***about it after a month because it just wasnt worth it.

If I missed anything there, lemme know.
By SimonSes 2020-04-22 06:21:06  
I was of course talking exclusively about the script though, not visual quality.

Well visual quality kinda builds up storyline or at least characters. Lilisette wouldnt be as "real" without all those great animations of her face and fighting style.

Of course it made things worse but it's certainly not my main concern.
It was more about silly anime stereotypes and bad narrative tools (multiverse cheap stuff, time/dimension travel, debateable retcons and most of all the "you're not the original universe!" thing, which in a different form kinda got replicated recently in FFXIV, not a surprise I didn't like it there either lol).
For me it was very bad writing.

Maybe its a matter of your experience then. I havent watched many anime (none with multiverse or time travel plot), so I haven't catch those things you are talking about.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2020-04-22 06:29:55  
Carbuncle.Nynja said: »
I think a lot of endgamers
Not that I want to disagree with you, but how is being an endgamer or not relevant if we're talking about the quality of a script? Of a plotline?

We weren't talking about "best expansion" but "best story", yo.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2020-04-22 06:32:30  
Maybe its a matter of your experience then. I havent watched many anime (none with multiverse or time travel plot), so I haven't catch those things you are talking about.
Yeah I guess it's about personal experience maybe.
For me it was the nth time I saw the same narrative tools abused and I found it all but creative.
If didn't read/watch all I did before, probably I would've had a different opinion who knows.

Most of the time I'm veeeeery skeptic when writers start to throw time travel paradoxes and multiverse thing inside their script.
I've seen it veeeery rarely used in a way that felt original, cool, epic and not a cheap tool to cover for your lackings as a writer.
 Asura.Geriond
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2020-04-22 07:57:01  
There have been thousands of years of fiction and hundreds of years of well-documented fiction; there is a very little that is actually genuinely new, and how original something will feel to a consumer depends almost entirely on how much of that type of story you've happened to experience before, which depends a lot on your personal tastes for fiction.

A robot story exploring their existence or limitations of their behavior might not seem original to someone who is a fan of Asimov & related, a fantasy story might not seem original to someone who is a fan of Tolkein & related, etc.

Conversely, something doesn't need to feel wholly original for the writing to be fine (or even excellent), and vice versa.

From what I've seen, for people that have paid attention to all the storylines (not ones who just skipped past one or more of them just to get to the rewards), WotG is either the most popular or second most popular after CoP. WotG isn't exactly high prose, and it's limited by the format (cutscenes and story-related battles interspersed between gaps of normal play unrelated to the story), but for what it was, it's a decent enough story, and not any less original than the other FFXI storylines.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2020-04-22 08:14:15  
Asura.Geriond said: »
There have been thousands of years of fiction and hundreds of years of well-documented fiction; there is a very little that is actually genuinely new, and how original something will feel to a consumer depends almost entirely on how much of that type of story you've happened to experience before
Simon and me sorta said it before, I completely agree on the subjective matter of that.

Quote:
Conversely, something doesn't need to feel wholly original for the writing to be fine (or even excellent), and vice versa.
No I agree with that. Good writing doesn't necessarily requires to be original, and vice-versa original stuff isn't necessarily good writing.

I just must be extremely biased against timetravel and multiverse stuff I suppose xD
By Afania 2020-04-22 08:24:14  
Yeah I guess it's about personal experience maybe.
For me it was the nth time I saw the same narrative tools abused and I found it all but creative.
If didn't read/watch all I did before, probably I would've had a different opinion who knows.

Most of the time I'm veeeeery skeptic when writers start to throw time travel paradoxes and multiverse thing inside their script.
I've seen it veeeery rarely used in a way that felt original, cool, epic and not a cheap tool to cover for your lackings as a writer.

It's 2020, there billions of books, films and games in this world. ALL of the themes have been used at least once by someone. If we gonna rate the quality of a story by originality, then nothing is good, lol.

IMO, what makes the story good is just 2 things: Characters and structure. As long as both are done well, then it's a successful story.

WoTG story is, IMO the best because both character and structure are better than other expansions.

It has a heroine that grow while player progress. Something lacking in earlier stories like base/RoZ/CoP. It has a twist that, while not absolutely surprising, it still makes a lot of sense structure wise. Even the villian is a memoriable character, something lacking in pretty much all other expansions.

Yes you can argue that "it's just anime stereotypes following old formula", but there is a reason why films, anime follows the same structure over and over: it's a try and true formula that makes the viewer get into the story.

Regarding your opinion on older stories, older stories actually don't have better characters nor better structure than WoTG. I think you may like older stories better because WoTG reminds you anime, and you may not like anime style. But that's the issue with presentation, not character nor structure.

I also feel that a lot of people are biased toward CoP because of the difficulty in the past, and how the ending scene made all that suffering through the mission satisfying. In terms of structure CoP isn't focused enough IMO.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2020-04-22 08:38:29  
Carbuncle.Nynja said: »
I think a lot of endgamers
Not that I want to disagree with you, but how is being an endgamer or not relevant if we're talking about the quality of a script? Of a plotline?

We weren't talking about "best expansion" but "best story", yo.

The story could be influenced by what you get out of the story? lol idk it was 6am

What about the part where the story was spaced out over 37 months?
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2020-04-22 08:39:13  
I was about to say that for me it has to be something about time-travel/multidimension that I tipically despise and consider a cheap narrative solution for lack of ideas.

But... Abyssea has multi-dimension thing too, yet that didn't annoy me at all. I mean, it's not like I would go as far as to say "omg so insanely cool!" but it surely didn't annoy me/disappoint me as WotG did.
So I wonder: why?

I'm trying to understand what are the differences that made one "ok" and one "uuuuungh" for my tastes.

Is it the anime stereotypes? Yes WotG has a lot but I don't think it's this aspect alone (plus it's not like I'm against anime in general, I watch A LOT of anime)

Is it the fact there was no annoying child half-elvaan? True, I found Lilisette very irritating (Lilith was super cool instead, until you find out who she really is), but I dunno if that alone can be the culprit.

Is it the fact that Abyssea is clear, it doens't trick you, you find out it's another alternative version of Vana'diel where things went wrong very early, whereas in WotG you are led to believe you're dealing with a strange past, whereas instead you get the super surprise plot-twist of nope! You're a fake Vana'diel. Is this "trick" meant to shock and surprise people that actually disappointed me and annoyed me? Uhm... Maybe, could be.

I dunno, something else? Granted it's hard to compare them 1:1 since WotG has beautiful cut-scenes and in Abyssea the plot is just a baseline surplus, certainly not the main focus.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2020-04-22 08:41:40  
There is a similar plot twist in FFXIV where
despite the narrative level being in general quite higher (the quality of the script, dialogues, character development etc) the "idea" at the core of it still annoys me to no end.

So... I can't fully grasp it, but I think there's gotta be something in common that made me not like WotG and FFXIV but didn't give me the same effect with other multiverse things in other stories/games/books/anime etc.
By SimonSes 2020-04-22 08:59:13  
If you find Lilisette irritating then idk how you could like WotG. The story is centered around her. She is the main protagonist and antagonist. She is the main source of emotional attachment to the story. So if you didn't like her, then I think it might be the reason you didn't like WotG.
[+]
By Afania 2020-04-22 10:10:31  
If you find Lilisette irritating then idk how you could like WotG. The story is centered around her. She is the main protagonist and antagonist. She is the main source of emotional attachment to the story. So if you didn't like her, then I think it might be the reason you didn't like WotG.

I never like Lilisette because I found her annoyingly cheerful, but I still like WoTG. Funny thing is that once I beat it I start to feel Lilith is the real main character. Then I start to appreciate why Lilisette act that way she does. It's meant to create a contrast between 2 characters and to add extra dimension to Lilith.

I think the overall concept isn't bad, and fits well within FFXI universe.

But yeah I agree that you definitely have to like one of the main character in the story to enjoy WoTG. Personally I rarely care about the world when I read a story, it's almost always about the character. Having multiple universe doesn't matter much because it's ultimately characters that matters.
First Page 2 3 ... 127 128 129 ... 424 425 426