First Page 2 3 ... 400 401 402 ... 448 449 450
 Bismarck.Demetor
サーバ: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Demetor
By Bismarck.Demetor 2023-10-29 00:09:11  
Asura.Essylt said: »
Quote:
November brings with it monthly updates to Ambuscade and the addition of a new battlefield.

Was already discussed and determined to be nothing? Or did I miss something?
Picture + quote + monthly picked seems to indicate Ashu Talif Pudding BC that was unexpected since we're on "maintenance" mode now. Obviously not sure how excited to get but when the baseline was "nothing besides v25 and Prime-Sortie grind" this is still better than nothing.
VIP
By Lili 2023-10-29 08:42:32  
New conspiracy theory: the announcement of "maintenance mode" is a gambit.

SE has a management that wants to shut down FFXI. Matsui and Fujito don't want that to happen, and make a plan: let's adjust the backend so that it takes very little developer time (and thus cost), and let's announce the stop of updates, knowing full well that the really hardcore players will stay on no matter what for a very long time.

Once they can show management that players are not jumping ship as much as they expected, start drip feeding more content, show numbers go up again... get more funding, keep game going.

I have a dream.
[+]
 Phoenix.Iocus
サーバ: Phoenix
user: androwe
By Phoenix.Iocus 2023-10-29 11:46:09  
Your dream is beautiful. Hopefully it persists when awake as well.
[+]
By ashcrow 2023-10-29 14:29:47  
Lili said: »

SE has a management that wants to shut down FFXI. Matsui and Fujito don't want that to happen, and make a plan: let's adjust the backend so that it takes very little developer time (and thus cost), and let's announce the stop of updates, knowing full well that the really hardcore players will stay on no matter what for a very long time.

Once they can show management that players are not jumping ship as much as they expected, start drip feeding more content, show numbers go up again... get more funding, keep game going.

I have a dream.
YES
YouTube Video Placeholder
 Asura.Beatsbytaru
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Beatsbytaru 2023-10-30 01:24:58  

I have a dream.
Ah yes. I too remember eating gummies for the fiest time.
[+]
By Meeble 2023-10-30 15:43:50  

I have a dream.

I can't conceive of any scenario that would make SE management want to invest new resources into XI, but if Fujito succeeds with his automation and overhead reduction goals, game service will probably continue no matter how many players quit.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2023-10-30 16:12:33  
GW1 devs.anaged to get their infrastructure to a point of such self sufficiency that they will be able to keep it running indefinitely even though the game hasn't made any substantial amount of money in a decade. It's automated to the point that if the server or one of its cloud instances crashes, it will fix itself. Game still even gets updates now and then as a result of passion projects that ANet employees do during their free time. Main guy who still keeps things running has said he has plans for an offline version of the day ever has to come, though.

Whether SE can pull the same thing off remains to be seen.
[+]
By Seun 2023-10-31 01:16:06  
Meeble said: »
I can't conceive of any scenario that would make SE management want to invest new resources into XI, but if Fujito succeeds with his automation and overhead reduction goals, game service will probably continue no matter how many players quit.

They invested in server hardware to keep the game going long enough that it doesn't matter if people quit. The game will be around long enough that it will easily recover that cost. We should probably be more concerned about each other making it to the 30th anniversary than FFXI. The game will still be here.
[+]
By Meeble 2023-10-31 13:37:58  
I wouldn't really call virtualizing a bunch of ancient bare metal servers "new investment". If they roll XI into their existing infrastructure it's gonna be a drop in the bucket, and the power savings alone will more than cover the slightly higher resource cost.

The only real 'costs' involved are the person-hours required to for the migration itself. Once that's done it's savings all the way down.
By Felgarr 2023-10-31 13:39:33  

I have a dream.

With data, this is exactly how you influence stubborn executives who are dead-set on a decision. However, having said that, companies, like people, are allowed to make bad decisions.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2023-10-31 14:19:25  
I wouldn't really call virtualizing a bunch of ancient bare metal servers "new investment". If they roll XI into their existing infrastructure it's gonna be a drop in the bucket, and the power savings alone will more than cover the slightly higher resource cost.

The only real 'costs' involved are the person-hours required to for the migration itself. Once that's done it's savings all the way down.
^ this, absolutely, 100%.

Altough I wouldn't rule out possible issues they had while moving their complete FFXI infrastructure into a completely virtualized setting, given how many years ago it was created.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nynja
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2023-10-31 14:27:28  
XI servers are running on Windows XP, confirmed
[+]
VIP
By Lili 2023-10-31 18:39:38  
Just to be sure, we do all remember here that SE did indeed migrate all FFXI servers to virtualized servers (that most likely run on the same hardware that runs XIV), right?
[+]
By Seun 2023-10-31 22:19:02  
Asura.Sechs said: »

^ this, absolutely, 100%.

Altough I wouldn't rule out possible issues they had while moving their complete FFXI infrastructure into a completely virtualized setting, given how many years ago it was created.

XI tech is so old it has to be emulated to run on the new hardware. I'm ignorant to what this entails, but I'd still wager they had to go outside to find people rather than just reallocating staff they have already.
 Asura.Volteczero
By Asura.Volteczero 2023-11-01 13:12:58  
https://twitter.com/FFXI_JP/status/1719628750957183080

translation says new event and new battlefield?
[+]
By Meeble 2023-11-01 14:00:13  
Just to be sure, we do all remember here that SE did indeed migrate all FFXI servers to virtualized servers (that most likely run on the same hardware that runs XIV), right?

Has that actually happened yet? I know it was part of Fujito's plans when he took over, but I haven't seen anything about it actually happening. I'd definitely expect longer than usual maintenance windows when the time comes.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2023-11-02 07:57:09  
This is something one thinks about 21 years after creation

Really something someone asked for? Ability to swap X and O mid battle instead of opening XIconfig and restarting.

Quote:
First of all, we'll be adding a new battlefield. As shown in the banner, the monster this time will be Flans. Our focus when creating this battlefield and the subsequent rewards was to bring a smile to the faces of everyone who loves the FINAL FANTASY series.
Sounds like "the new battle" is just like Ambuscade V2 with rotating trash. "Bringing a smile" means it's time waste content, not good drop content.
[+]
By Felgarr 2023-11-02 08:12:25  
Asura.Eiryl said: »

Really something someone asked for? Ability to swap X and O mid battle instead of opening XIconfig and restarting.

Quote:
First of all, we'll be adding a new battlefield. As shown in the banner, the monster this time will be Flans. Our focus when creating this battlefield and the subsequent rewards was to bring a smile to the faces of everyone who loves the FINAL FANTASY series.
Sounds like "the new battle" is Ambuscade V2 with rotating trash. "Bringing a smile" means it's time waste content, not good drop content.

I'm really excited that the NA team will be streaming for a change!

Quote:
On Wednesday, November 8th, we'll be hosting a live episode of Freshly Picked Vana'diel that will focus on the version update contents, so please check it out. The North America Community Team is also planning to broadcast the show for the benefit of our English-speaking fans as well.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2023-11-02 08:14:49  
Quote:

You must be high as *** if you think this is referring to ambu.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2023-11-02 08:21:18  
Like ambuscade. As in the same style. With a new trash mob every month.

"similar to" for those to dumb to understand.
[+]
By Taint 2023-11-02 08:22:34  

Quote:
Sounds like "the new battle" is Ambuscade V2 with rotating trash. "Bringing a smile" means it's time waste content, not good drop content.

Restarting FFXI is painful at all times.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2023-11-02 08:24:19  
Taint said: »

Quote:

Restarting FFXI is painful at all times.

It's always miserable. It was miserable in 2004 it was miserable in 2010 it's still miserable. but have you ever changed button config more than once. (Without a reinstall) 21 years later they change it.
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2023-11-02 08:35:17  
Quote:
First of all, we'll be adding a new battlefield.

Would you call Ambu a battlefield? It's more of an event or "battle content". This sounds to me much more like an HTBF.

Quote:
As shown in the banner, the monster this time will be Flans.

As in: last time we made a battle, it was against Bahamut, this time will be flans.

Quote:
Our focus when creating this battlefield and the subsequent rewards was to bring a smile to the faces of everyone who loves the FINAL FANTASY series.

This, to me, sounds like they've named some items after items from previous FF entries. Maybe they used models from previous FF games. It's possible they're cosmetic, but they could also be practically useful.

Maybe it's an ambu-style, swap-out-every-month event where you earn tokens to spend on cosmetic items from previous FF games, but it seems a bit crazy to create an event which requires you to constantly create new monsters every month, instead of just creating a single HTBF and releasing it once. This is especially true for a game which just announced no new updates. Including a whole token system, currencies, NPCs to turn them in at, etc. as opposed to just...making a battle with a flan.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2023-11-02 08:43:31  
The "new battlefield" is the ashu talif: WHERE the battles take place

"This time" aka "this month" Next Month: Lizards! NextNext Month Mandies! Just like Ambuscade

Every month has a new trash drop/points to buy new trash cosmetic
[+]
 Asura.Splendid
user: BlindLis
By Asura.Splendid 2023-11-02 08:45:19  
It would be rad if they made the Bonanza weapons obtainable. My DNC needs that pesky Onion Sword. I doubt that’s what this event will reward though.
By Sakinah79 2023-11-02 08:58:47  
Quote:
We'll also be implementing some of the underlying prep work such as certain game mechanics and other elements for the content where "everyone cooperates across different worlds" that I've mentioned in the past.

While this update will not have playable content for that feature, we are hard at work on crafting a special campaign that'll serve as an extension of the game's usual gameplay and also allow you to work with players from all over the world toward a common goal. Therefore, please think of us as laying the groundwork for that content with this update.

We should be able to provide an overview of this new campaign soon, so stay tuned for more information to come.

So which server is going to get blamed for everyone failing this content when it hits?
 Carbuncle.Nynja
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2023-11-02 09:19:03  
Do you even have to ask?
[+]
VIP
By Lili 2023-11-02 09:26:24  
Which server has the most players that buy gil and gear then are utterly useless in everything?
All servers have them, yes, but they tend to flock to a single specific one.
[+]
 Fenrir.Jinxs
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Jinxs
By Fenrir.Jinxs 2023-11-02 09:41:14  
Imagine what you could do with the data from this websites transactions and chat gpt.
By Dodik 2023-11-02 09:44:14  
Would a game in maintenance mode really add a rotating enemies battlefield that has to be updated every month?
First Page 2 3 ... 400 401 402 ... 448 449 450