users online
フォーラム » FFXIAH.com » Suggestions » Item Price History
Item Price History
 Phoenix.Hanyoko
サーバ: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Hanyoko
By Phoenix.Hanyoko 2008-08-03 08:35:50  
Currently you can expand up to 25 items on price history, however sometimes due to RMT they have manipulated the price of the last 15+ items.

I suggest the ability to expand the price history to more then 25 (possibly a user account option).
 Garuda.Littledarc
サーバ: Garuda
By Garuda.Littledarc 2008-08-04 15:14:56  
when i first read this i was like hey wait isn't it 255, but thats for players. i would also like a larger amount for price history listed for items. nice idea by the way.
 Lakshmi.Aerden
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Aerden
By Lakshmi.Aerden 2008-08-04 17:15:32  
They probably don't have enough bandwidth to be able to to store more than 15 rows of data. Who knows! lol
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2008-08-04 19:51:17  
Aerden said:
They probably don't have enough bandwidth to be able to to store more than 15 rows of data. Who knows! lol

Recorded Transactions: 305,161,953

Bandwidth/storage is not the issue. It's a question of how we partition our data so that the database server doesn't slow to a crawl due to large item history queries.
 Valefor.Forgotten
サーバ: Valefor
user: Forg
By Valefor.Forgotten 2008-08-04 21:38:03  
Jaerik said:

Recorded Transactions: 305,161,953

Bandwidth/storage is not the issue. It's a question of how we partition our data so that the database server doesn't slow to a crawl due to large item history queries.

Would a user option to filter out specific persons cause a similar performance hit?
 Asura.Vixenbabe
サーバ: Asura
user: Vixenbabe
By Asura.Vixenbabe 2008-08-07 03:45:24  
I could see this being very easily done, considering that all the transaction are still saved even though not viewable. Its just a matter of how many they want to show at once, for bandwidth reasons. If everyone was accessing 255 past sells for yagudo drinks it would be pointless. However for users to extend to maybe 50 or so past sells would be nice and shouldnt take too big of a toll on bandwidth.
 Fenrir.Scragg
Administrator
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Scragg
By Fenrir.Scragg 2008-08-07 16:53:58  
I'm sure our servers can handle 50 at the moment. Like Jaerik said, it's not a matter of bandwidth. It's server resources that can become the problem. Grabbing price histories is the most costly process that is done on our site. It's pretty quick now since we have done alot to optimize it.

If this is done it will be limited to registered users with at least one verified char. A change like this could be the tipping point for slow page loads, lagged price history/stock updates, and server downtime during heavy traffic.
 Valefor.Forgotten
By Valefor.Forgotten 2008-08-07 18:16:50  
Ok but say your trying to see past a presumed RMT manipulation like Hanyoko says, wouldn't it be simpler to filter out that 1 or 3 characters*? For a longer history in general, we do have that box on the left containing a graph which shows price in hovertext.

*like put a lil box next to the name -click- that name gone from presently displayed list
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2008-08-07 18:33:28  
That's possible, but it would be a purely visual thing. For instance, let's say the past 10 transactions are by players:

Jaerik
RMTDude
Jaerik
RMTDude
RMTDude
RMTDude
RMTDude
RMTDude
RMTDude
RMTDude

If you clicked the minus by RMTDude, your list would now only show:

Jaerik
Jaerik

We wouldn't be able to have the page make a new query showing "the last 10 transactions that aren't RMTDude" on the fly without bringing the database server to its knees. Nor would the graph update to reflect the change. Which strikes me as questionably useful.
 Valefor.Forgotten
By Valefor.Forgotten 2008-08-07 18:37:20  
Quote:
We wouldn't be able to have the page make a new query showing "the last 10 transactions that aren't RMTDude" on the fly without bringing the database server to its knees.

Thanks thats what I wanted to know. Its actually worse than extending the history display then.

About the graph I just meant that we already have the graph to see back to before RMTdude did his thing.