users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Blue Mage » Blue spells question
Blue spells question
 Hades.Hiryo
サーバ: Hades
Game: FFXI
user: Hiryo
By Hades.Hiryo 2009-10-07 15:20:02  
Alright i've been looking at the spells ahead of me, im now BLU31, and looking on http://74.53.42.102/blu/BLUMain.html most of the spells untill level 40 don't look like they are worth getting, is it essential to gather all the spells, or just the ones i'll use?
 Sylph.Hitetsu
サーバ: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-10-07 15:23:42  
Depends on what you mean by "Use".

Don't forget that all/most of the spells BLU "uses" are used to form some sort of Trait. How many BLU's really use Plasma Charge? >_>

Remember that all BLU spells have a use, regardless of how slim they are, just depends on how many different things you want to use your BLU for.
 Hades.Hiryo
サーバ: Hades
user: Hiryo
By Hades.Hiryo 2009-10-07 15:25:16  
Alright, so get them all then basicly?
I have all spells upto 34~ atm so thats what i was doing anyway, just wondered ^^
thanks.
 Ramuh.Lilbusta
サーバ: Ramuh
user: phatspade
By Ramuh.Lilbusta 2009-10-07 15:27:47  
Gotta catch'em all!
 Fairy.Deist
サーバ: Fairy
user: Deist
By Fairy.Deist 2009-10-07 15:29:48  
I'm currently lvl65 blu myself, I find actually hunting the spells themselves to be part of why I like blu.

But to your question - like one poster said already, while you might not cast the spell itself - they can still be used in a form of a job trait.
 Ramuh.Dasva
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-10-07 16:35:58  
Lilbusta said:
Gotta catch'em all!

Exactly. Also even if you don't ever cast a spell it has uses. Not only in traits you can get but stats. And yes I have seriously used plasma charge. Most spells have some nitch somewhere to be casted though you might never do so. Generally I only actually use like 3-5 spells at 75. The rest are for traits and bumping my stats to a respectable lvl. I've gotten some ungodly lvls of str before
 Odin.Blazza
サーバ: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-10-07 21:38:56  
I think my record without food or songs is +82 STR, makes you absolutely *** useless for casting anything but CASA Vertical Cleave, but fun to play with.

As for spells, there are spells that you'll never use and aren't even particularly useful for stats, but they're generally not the hard ones to learn anyway (feather barrier is the most useless spell that comes to mind).

Unless you're going to try and be an incredibly diverse blu as opposed to levelling it and only using the big three + cannonball, then there's no real need to get quite a few spells. However, as others have said, getting the spells is one of the fun parts of levelling the job (annoying at times, but satisfying once done) and most people will get them all for completions sake.

A very quick list of spells that you can probably skip if you're just going to be a disseverment blu or not going for completion (starting at ~30):

Death ray
mysterious light
terror touch
venom shell (although great if you can land it)
Blitzstrahl
magnetite cloud
blood saber (but get it, it's fun to use on 10+ low level mobs)
jettatura
ice break
hecatomb wave
radiant breath
feather barrier
flying hip press
spiral spin
maelstrom
eyes on me
seedspray
bad breath
memento mori
body slam
1000 needles
spinal cleave
hydro shot
feather tickle
infrasonics
firespit
asuran claws
lowing
tirumphant roar
saline coat
ram charge
mind blast
reactor cool
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-10-07 21:46:20  
Yeah one time I did nyzul got a floor with +str and then used the +15 stats drink maybe food a sch. ILl look up how much it was funny though especially since I had my normal spells on.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-10-07 21:50:43  
User submitted image

With better/newer gear and different spells could've gotten a decent bit higher