By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-10-09 16:42:51  
MNK > DRK > SAM > WAR > THF > RNG
 Fenrir.Dascorp
サーバ: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: dascorp
By Fenrir.Dascorp 2009-10-09 16:43:25  
Quipto said:
idk, i can bust out 5.5k+ damage in less than 10 seconds as rng on anything worth anything. assuming i can start with TP: 1500+ sidewinder, 1500+ barrage, 1500+ sidewinder, 1k+ EES.

only if you dont wiff lol, rngs tend to do that a lot <.<

Btw let the mnk sub war and see what happens.
 Ragnarok.Anye
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2009-10-09 16:43:27  
Ludoggy said:
Dasva said:

And um what does the D in dot stand for?

doritos

Mmm. Doritos over time. :9
 Ramuh.Dasva
サーバ: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-10-09 16:51:38  
Anye said:
Ludoggy said:
Dasva said:

doritos

Mmm. Doritos over time. :9

Sounds like a horrible diet plan
 Unicorn.Excesspain
サーバ: Unicorn
By Unicorn.Excesspain 2009-10-09 16:53:03  
DRG's Wyvern> the rest
 Fairy.Vegetto
サーバ: Fairy
user: Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-10-09 16:53:47  
As far as merits go, Yochi sam > all
 Caitsith.Heimdall
サーバ: Caitsith
user: Heimdall
By Caitsith.Heimdall 2009-10-09 17:15:14  
really depends what u want know, over all dmg 1 big omg spike dmg dot for the long haul so on. i've actually seen lot saying pup can out dd all but so few pups who have the skill to do job u raely see it.
 Siren.Enternius
サーバ: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-10-09 17:23:47  
RNG is, hands-down, the best DD for all situations for pure damage. No one can argue that.

The problem is, RNG is such a good DD that they end up taking hate on everything, and die. A lot.

So any DD > dead RNG.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Andras
サーバ: Gilgamesh
user: Andras
By Gilgamesh.Andras 2009-10-09 17:25:01  
i think it depends on what your looking for, if you want provoke get a war, if you want spam WS and SC get a sam, if you want high bursts of dmg that will rip hate get a rng, if you want something to beat the crap out of a mob with their fists get a mnk, mandau thf can do alot of dmg on WS too i had one in a party once out DDing everyone, if you need piercing go with a drg, for that quick zerg go with drk, and blm if you need huge amounts of dmg and MB.
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-10-09 17:31:28  
Enternius said:
RNG is, hands-down, the best DD for all situations for pure damage. No one can argue that.

i can
Rng is good for spike and quick dmg but once they unload all their Jas and ***their shitty DoT catches up to them rather quickly.
[+]
 Asura.Riddick
サーバ: Asura
user: Riddick
By Asura.Riddick 2009-10-09 17:36:31  
Kungfuhustle said:
MNK > DRK > SAM > WAR > THF > RNG

ummm. Ya... Depends on gear and situation. Drk with K-club has the highest spike damage in game hands down. But assuming average gear and average merrits I would say this would be order SAM > RNG > BLM > DRK > MNK > DRG > WAR. Im not even throwing thf in. You have to have some pretty nice stuff to do any real damage there. If you have been in enough party just remember the jobs that take the most hate from your tanks.
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-10-09 17:39:30  
Idk why ppl keep throwing in rng. They're not even an contender to any decently geared DD.
[+]
サーバ: Garuda
By Garuda.Fivestarplayer 2009-10-09 17:42:23  
Dasva said:

oh..I mean if we're talking Bio II Poison II kite a mob for 5 hours until it's dead...then yeah...I guess rdm would last longer >.>
サーバ: Sylph
By Sylph.Oxbloodravenxo 2009-10-09 17:43:14  
Enternius said:

The problem is, RNG is such a good DD that they end up taking hate on everything, and die. A lot.

So any DD > dead RNG.

I'm not sure :3 i have a sam friend who can easily pull off 1.2-1.7 gekkos with ease i think sam is built to be the best dd in my opinion.

He's done 1.1k yuki> 1.7k gekko > 700 or so skillchain and with 2hour as well he can easily pull of very high numbers, not only this sam's in generaly gain tp so fast it's bulit to do high damage probably hagun only though. :P
 Quetzalcoatl.Buckeyespud
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Carste
By Quetzalcoatl.Buckeyespud 2009-10-09 17:43:36  
The answer lies here:

No DRG for party, camp spot site with 30 dmg, but is it for 20 like 30 dmg when you no hit be it for dd, for 30 dmg instead? or half is 10 for 20 dmg?
[+]
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-10-09 17:44:05  
Vegetto said:
i can
Rng is good for spike and quick dmg but once they unload all their Jas and ***their shitty DoT catches up to them rather quickly.

My ranged attacks (Admittedly my RNG is currently half-assed but it gets the job done)
do 450-500 damage each. I have a 5-hit build for my 3k damage WSs. Two ranged attacks and I catch up to an average SAM's WS, and unless a SAM can do a WS every 10 seconds, they're not even close.
[+]
 Remora.Narrubia
サーバ: Remora
user: Narrubia
By Remora.Narrubia 2009-10-09 17:44:13  
I think the fact that most of these lists are nowhere near similar supports the fact that there is no "best" overall DD. But for the OP I would suggest SAM, as that's the kind of mentality that will appreciate SAM's playstyle.
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-10-09 17:45:18  
Fivestarplayer said:
Dasva said:

oh..I mean if we're talking Bio II Poison II kite a mob for 5 hours until it's dead...then yeah...I guess rdm would last longer >.>

Even then, lol, SCH would still win. SCH has 200-damage-per-tic DoT spells, for a total of roughly 2k damage, for 87 MP.
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-10-09 17:49:12  
Enternius said:
Vegetto said:
i can

My ranged attacks (Admittedly my RNG is currently half-assed but it gets the job done)
do 450-500 damage each. I have a 5-hit build for my 3k damage WSs. Two ranged attacks and I catch up to an average SAM's WS, and unless a SAM can do a WS every 10 seconds, they're not even close.

How often can a rng shoot though compared to a DD's melee attacks? It's your delay + w/e snapshot you have sporting over 500 delay? With all the haste available my tomoe sam has 64 haste in a proper merit build w/ gear and buffs. 480 delay tomoe brings me to 172.8 delay. You may get off a good amount/shot but when i'm doing 3-4 attacks per your one and have the same hit build as you, see where this is going?

Also, you may do 3k dmg, but let's say a bird has 1k hp left then u fire off. It SHOWS as 3k dmg in the log and on the parse, but in actuality, you only did 1k dmg. Your parsed damage is going to be way higher than your actual damage. Overkilling by 2k does nothing, does not help kill speed, doesn't help exp/hr, ect.
[+]
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-10-09 17:56:52  
Vegetto said:

How often can a rng shoot though compared to a DD's melee attacks? It's your delay + w/e snapshot you have sporting over 500 delay? With all the haste available my tomoe sam has 64 haste in a proper merit build w/ gear and buffs. 480 delay tomoe brings me to 172.8 delay. You may get off a good amount/shot but when i'm doing 3-4 attacks per your one and have the same hit build as you, see where this is going?

Well, let's do some simple math here.

Vali's Bow (490)+Kabura Arrow (90)

490+90=580, -20% because of 20% Snapshot

580*.80=464, -30% because of Rapid Shot

464*.70=325, 325 is my base delay. Then you have to account for the fact that Ranged delay is not the same as melee delay, 110 Ranged delay is the equivalent of 1 second for RNG.

325/110=2.95 seconds per shot.
172/60=2.87 per polearm hit, for you.

And that's without nagging BRDs and RDMs for Haste.

Vegetto said:
Also, you may do 3k dmg, but let's say a bird has 1k hp left then u fire off. It SHOWS as 3k dmg in the log and on the parse, but in actuality, you only did 1k dmg. Your parsed damage is going to be way higher than your actual damage. Overkilling by 2k does nothing, does not help kill speed, doesn't help exp/hr, ect.

Easy way to fix that: WS earlier.
[+]
サーバ: Odin
By Odin.Dirtyfinger 2009-10-09 17:58:12  
BLM has it's own line of dot spells, having a 150 INT build and using Burn, Choke and Shock can produce not only dot but draining certain attributes too which is handy for all jobs.

Correct me if I'm wrong but you can also use Bio II on top of them?

I'll have to look into it later as I'm still at work :(
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-10-09 18:00:14  
Enternius said:
Vegetto said:

Well, let's do some simple math here.

Vali's Bow (490)+Kabura Arrow (90)

490+90=580, -20% because of 20% Snapshot

580*.80=464, -30% because of Rapid Shot

464*.70=325, 325 is my base delay. Then you have to account for the fact that Ranged delay is not the same as melee delay, 110 Ranged delay is the equivalent of 1 second for RNG.

325/110=2.95 seconds per shot.
172/60=2.87 per polearm hit, for you.

And that's without nagging BRDs and RDMs for Haste.

Vegetto said:

Easy way to fix that: WS earlier.

When the first thing I do is pop a 1.3-2k penta in the mob, as well as the other DDs going asap, that'll be hard to pull off unless you're holding tp for the start of a fight, which will lower your number of WS over time.
[+]
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-10-09 18:00:29  
Dirtyfinger said:

SCH/RDM also has Bio II, and SCH/BLM also has Bio II AND all those Elemental DoT spells.

No one can argue that SCH is the master of DoT.
サーバ: Odin
By Odin.Dirtyfinger 2009-10-09 18:01:29  
Enternius said:
Dirtyfinger said:

SCH/RDM also has Bio II, and SCH/BLM also has Bio II AND all those Elemental DoT spells.

No one can argue that SCH is the master of DoT.

Yea you got me on that one -.-
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-10-09 18:01:31  
Vegetto said:
When the first thing I do is pop a 1.3-2k penta in the mob, as well as the other DDs going asap, that'll be hard to pull off unless you're holding tp for the start of a fight, which will lower your number of WS over time.

Again, valid point, but RNG has the advantage of RANGE. As in, I can WS and one-shot a Colibri before anyone else even has to melee it.
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-10-09 18:10:14  
I've seen large ws and barrage numbers of course, but I can honestly say I've not once pt'd w/ a ranger that I was impressed with. Not just crappy rngs either lol. I've outparsed 2 annhilators and 3 kraken rngs, as well as the conventional ranged shot vbow/hellfire rng by enough of a margin to where it wasn't a competition tbh. Hell, I've even seen a particular pup I was impressed with and most jobs at least at one poirt, but for me, never once impressed with rng.
 Ramuh.Dasva
サーバ: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-10-09 18:15:50  
Enternius said:
Fivestarplayer said:
Dasva said:

Even then, lol, SCH would still win. SCH has 200-damage-per-tic DoT spells, for a total of roughly 2k damage, for 87 MP.

Longer ticks. Also figure out the dmg on poison2 and bio3. Figure out how much longer they last. Add in refresh convert... lets not even get into survivability
 Gilgamesh.Tousou
user: Toufu
By Gilgamesh.Tousou 2009-10-09 18:25:03  
Bshizzle said:
Curious to see how people would rank the different damage dealing jobs according to best damage output. No restrictions on gear; looking for the very best.

I know right now everyone is all "sam sam sam" but I think a pimped out WAR trumps it. Also BLM is up there somewhere.

#1 is MNK

Go Go Formless Strikes!
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-10-09 18:32:31  
Tousou said:
Bshizzle said:
Curious to see how people would rank the different damage dealing jobs according to best damage output. No restrictions on gear; looking for the very best.

I know right now everyone is all "sam sam sam" but I think a pimped out WAR trumps it. Also BLM is up there somewhere.

#1 is MNK

Go Go Formless Strikes!

Mnk certainly isn't last on the list, but w/ no gear restrictions, it won't be on top. Pre-hasso is another story but that extra 10% haste for 2handers is just killer.
 Gilgamesh.Tousou
user: Toufu
By Gilgamesh.Tousou 2009-10-09 18:40:02  
Quote:
Mnk certainly isn't last on the list, but w/ no gear restrictions, it won't be on top. Pre-hasso is another story but that extra 10% haste for 2handers is just killer.

It's what -I- think. Sure, numbers could/would prove me wrong, but I couldn't care less. I just <3 Formless Strikes.

In fact, just to piss people off:

1. MNK
2. BLM
3. WAR
4. DRG
5. PUP
6. BLU
7. THF
8. RNG
9. SMN
10. RDM
11. SCH