フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Black Mage » Discussion: how to make BLM more relevant
Discussion: how to make BLM more relevant
First Page 2 3 ... 20 21 22
 Sylph.Banhammer
サーバ: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Banhammer
By Sylph.Banhammer 2019-01-18 13:46:37  
Change Meteor. Give it a hit for every BLM that casts it plus an extra hit for every BLM that cast. So 2 BLM's casting Meteor would be two hits plus an extra hit as a bonus. 3 BLM would be 3 + 2, etc...
[+]
 Asura.Snapster
サーバ: Asura
user: Mojopojo
By Asura.Snapster 2019-01-18 13:49:14  
Stop adding mobs with 12 million HP and 400+ MDB
[+]
By Foxfire 2019-01-18 13:51:38  
Asura.Snapster said: »
Stop adding mobs with 12 million HP and 400+ MDB
 Valefor.Yandaime
サーバ: Valefor
user: Yandaime
By Valefor.Yandaime 2019-01-18 14:19:55  
Weeew said: »
Afania said: »
That's interesting. I wonder if they could introduce something that encourages balancing magic and physical damage. Elemental magic lowers targets physical defence for few seconds and vice versa. That would be fun to play around with.

That'd actually be pretty cool. It'd be like FFXIII and FFXIII-2's system where you have to "Break" the target with Magic before you can really lay into it with Melee. That'd be really cool *BUT* probably a pain to balance an alliance for that because BLM's can't do jack ***to any relevant targets without a generous amount of support.

So for theorycrafting, that'd be pretty cool. But how viable would it really be?... idk.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2019-01-18 14:32:48  
Asura.Saevel said: »
Would buffing their free nuke power do the job?

Yes but it can't be a generic +power X type buff. The reason BLM's have become left behind is their power doesn't grow well due to how Magic Damage is calculated.

Base Magic Damage for nukes is

Quote:
D = mDMG + V + (dINT × M)

V is the nukes base power, mDMG is magic damage and M is the multiplier for the difference in INT. The base power also depends on dINT. This creates a scenario where the base DMG value doesn't go up by much.

Now here it is for magic WS.

Quote:
((152 + floor((WeaponLevel-99)*2.45) + WSC) * fTP + dSTAT + mDMG

So assuming 119 weapon we get
((201 + WSC) * fTP) + dSTAT + mDMG

Take something like Leaden Salute at 1750TP (moonshade and aeonic)
fTP = 6.025 and at 400 AGI (COR's can get higher then this) this is the base power
((201 + 400) * 6.025) = 3621, then add on some dSTAT and mDMG values which are frankly small compared to that base. Then throw in WSD as a free multiplier before mDiff and Weather.

Cascade is ~really~ shitty, at 1000TP it grants +100 mDMG which is complete ***. BLM struggles to raise it's base magic damage high enough to actually matter, when COR's and RNG's can rock 3K+ base magic damage then it's no competition for who can hurt the most with magic.

Well maybe buffing BLM damage isn't the answer and giving people a different way to play the job is.

Would be an idea to give blm stronger debuffs by enhancing spells like burn and frost. Also adding some more debuffs to ancient magic.

Black Mage is a magic damage dealing, it's THE original magic dealing job. It's in the jobs definition, it blows things up. Doing anything other the buffing it's damage would be dumb and that's the entire reason you bring it.

Better idea would be to change Cascade to 1TP = 1 Magic Damage and give it a 10s recast. Then increase the TP given from Occult Acumen by 10x. BLM would then drop regular nukes until their at 1K where by they can blast off a powered up nuke that actually competes with weapon skills. It would also give something else to use TP on other then Mykr.
[+]
 Bismarck.Nickeny
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2019-01-18 15:39:17  
Like people said everyone is gearing cor now. So many people are having success with it

My linkshell still does things blm method and I hate it. Right now I'm gearing cor and dnc more effectively and really can care less about blm atm. I don't want to pump up my blm when other metas seem way better. Especially if im only using it 2 times a week...
 Fenrir.Ramzus
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Venomfury
By Fenrir.Ramzus 2019-01-18 16:00:58  
Unnerf Death/Languor/Focus, remove the damage reduction when MBing multiple spells per SC
By Afania 2019-01-18 16:07:19  
Asura.Eiryl said: »
I guess it depends on the linkshells or server you play in. I used to see people doing manaburn for Dynamis but for the last 4 months everyone has seemed to switch over to melee or cor/rng. Really want to see more love for BLM!

BLM was the literal ONLY way to do ANYTHING for 2014-2017(partly). it had it's time, meta shifted like it always does.

Was it vagary? I recall 2014 was more of Koga all thing era.

2015 and 2016 was more of blm meta era but it's limited to T4/WoC only. People use blm in lower lv content because that's all they have, not because it's the only way to do it.
 Bahamut.Shozokui
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Shozokui
By Bahamut.Shozokui 2019-01-18 16:10:27  
BLM is in a really good spot. Doesn't need to be more relevant than it is otherwise we go back to 2015/2016 and if you don't have a BLM with a Death set, you aren't doing ***. Just another version of SMN burning.

There's a really good balance in the game right now. Melee, Ranged, Magic all strats are really viable for ~80% of current end-game content. 100% if you're just talking Dyna-D. All our first clears were BLM clears - it was fun and challenging to stretch the upper limits of what BLM can do. When you exit and have 9~11 million damage on the parse, you know you wrecked some ***.
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2019-01-18 16:13:58  
Shiva.Berzerk said: »
BLM is already in a phenomenal spot. Manaburning Dyna[D] Wave3 is probably the easiest and safest method as it stands now. Most older content can be destroyed by BLM paired with an SCH, such as Delve, Vagary, Escha NMs. Keep in mind BLM gets nearly hate-free damage when magic bursting. It has been used in a few ambuscades in the last 2.5 years, notably the Antican and Gigas battles for Intense. I use BLM consistently to clear content paired with an SCH and GEO.

BLM is also 1 of 3 jobs able to 1-shot "snipe" statues in dynamis using Death (RNG and COR the others). It's all about using it in the appropriate situations. If your entire group is oriented to a melee setup, BLM is not going to strive because you won't be able to burst consistently and won't be receiving the proper buffs. But a group with mage-oriented setup can easily plow through Dynamis.
Define easily.

I mean, I'm genuinely interested in information on how to do that easily. Because from what I've been witnessing so far, BLM is some weak *** ***on wave 3 even with 2 SCHs rotating. Not to mention how fragile they are on the way to Wave 3 (Wave 2 bosses kill them regularly, but maybe they don't have proper gear, I'm not sure at all I'm usually busy getting my *** spanked).

BLM is already in a phenomenal spot. Manaburning Dyna[D] Wave3 is probably the easiest and safest method as it stands now. Most older content can be destroyed by BLM paired with an SCH, such as Delve, Vagary, Escha NMs. Keep in mind BLM gets nearly hate-free damage when magic bursting. It has been used in a few ambuscades in the last 2.5 years, notably the Antican and Gigas battles for Intense. I use BLM consistently to clear content paired with an SCH and GEO.

BLM is also 1 of 3 jobs able to 1-shot "snipe" statues in dynamis using Death (RNG and COR the others). It's all about using it in the appropriate situations. If your entire group is oriented to a melee setup, BLM is not going to strive because you won't be able to burst consistently and won't be receiving the proper buffs. But a group with mage-oriented setup can easily plow through Dynamis.

The problem with blm is that melee setup(with malaise + leaden) seems to kill way faster than blm atm.....and cor rng can both 1 shot status. So in terms of efficiency, blm isn't extremely appealing.

Also have to say that there are like 9 melee jobs that's designed to be melee, not even counting cor rdm run pup .... So melee setup accomdates more people because pretty much any job can be a melee.

If pt do blm setup every DD slot has to be a blm and sch. It's MUCH easier to fill up an alliance with elite melee and functional Geo, much harder to fill up an alliance with equally geared blm and sch.

Unless blm is vastly more efficient than melee or se release new content thats too shitty to melee, I see majority of groups would prefer melee the way it is.
So that's why.

I guess it makes sense.

But then you are faced with an issue (or at least, I am): people use BLM setup because it's easier and "safer", but their actual lack of proper gearsets makes it harder to survive (I think I can name one BLM that can survive stuffon my server and he hasn't played in months) and therefore not safer either.

And as long as the average DD is nothing more than a ghetto SMN who got a Trishula/Chango last Saturday, the melee strategy will always remain a far away dream.

So in conclusion, why are people using manaburns in Dyna D?
 Bahamut.Shozokui
By Bahamut.Shozokui 2019-01-18 16:16:17  
Asura.Saevel said: »
Black Mage is a magic damage dealing, it's THE original magic dealing job. It's in the jobs definition, it blows things up. Doing anything other the buffing it's damage would be dumb and that's the entire reason you bring it.

Better idea would be to change Cascade to 1TP = 1 Magic Damage and give it a 10s recast. Then increase the TP given from Occult Acumen by 10x. BLM would then drop regular nukes until their at 1K where by they can blast off a powered up nuke that actually competes with weapon skills. It would also give something else to use TP on other then Mykr.

You can't boost BLM damage past 99,999. Which is what our BLMs do in almost every scenario. There are very few scenarios were there's enough resistance to make that lower. BLM is like every single other job. Gear it to the max possible point, ensure you have the proper buffs, or you'll get mediocre results.
 Bahamut.Shozokui
By Bahamut.Shozokui 2019-01-18 16:20:56  
Cerberus.Senkyuutai said: »

Define easily.

I mean, I'm genuinely interested in information on how to do that easily. Because from what I've been witnessing so far, BLM is some weak *** ***on wave 3 even with 2 SCHs rotating. Not to mention how fragile they are on the way to Wave 3 (Wave 2 bosses kill them regularly, but maybe they don't have proper gear, I'm not sure at all I'm usually busy getting my *** spanked).

This isn't true. BLM isn't Fragile. Just like every other caster - it can take a hit as long as you build a proper PDT set. If your BLMs aren't hitting capped damage on the wave 3 boss, the circles, and the NMs, your strategy is wrong and you need more buffs. You need at least 3x idris geo, 2x brd, 2x COR, 4x BLM, (RDM Helps but isn't necessary), SMN or BLM with good Impact set, good Burn set, good shattersoul set, stew pots, rayke, gambit, etc.

2x SCH, 2x COR to extend the skillchain is 100% necessary to put out enough damage in succession. You also need to have a good toggle for the AF+3 body.
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2019-01-18 16:29:12  
Bahamut.Shozokui said: »

Define easily.

This isn't true. BLM isn't Fragile. Just like every other caster - it can take a hit as long as you build a proper PDT set. If your BLMs aren't hitting capped damage on the wave 3 boss, the circles, and the NMs, your strategy is wrong and you need more buffs. You need at least 3x idris geo, 2x brd, 2x COR, 4x BLM, (RDM Helps but isn't necessary), SMN or BLM with good Impact set, good Burn set, good shattersoul set, stew pots, rayke, gambit, etc.

2x SCH, 2x COR to extend the skillchain is 100% necessary to put out enough damage in succession. You also need to have a good toggle for the AF+3 body.
All right.

So, you already lost most of the people attempting a manaburn with the PDT set alone, they don't have that.
Then your list of buffs (and debuffs) needed makes it look like manaburn needs waaaaaay too many things to perform at all. Much like a PDT set, it won't happen with most people.

I guess a melee setup needs much less preparation, doesn't it?
Or rather, is gearing a melee to the maximum a bigger impact on the job than gearing BLM to the maximum?
 Bahamut.Shozokui
By Bahamut.Shozokui 2019-01-18 16:31:29  
But then you are faced with an issue (or at least, I am): people use BLM setup because it's easier and "safer", but their actual lack of proper gearsets makes it harder to survive (I think I can name one BLM that can survive stuffon my server and he hasn't played in months) and therefore not safer either.

This is called laziness. It's very easy and cheap to build a proper PDT, Fast Cast, Magic Burst, MP Burst set. It costs no more than 10mil.

Because it's one of the easiest ways to do Dynamis. Relies a lot less on good white mages (which are very hard to find). And it's extremely effective in Dynamis.
 Bahamut.Shozokui
By Bahamut.Shozokui 2019-01-18 16:35:06  
Then your list of buffs (and debuffs) needed makes it look like manaburn needs waaaaaay too many things to perform at all. Much like a PDT set, it won't happen with most people.

Or rather, is gearing a melee to the maximum a bigger impact on the job than gearing BLM to the maximum?

Melee setups need the exact same prep. They have the added disadvantage of needing your melee to have a DT set AND to have good White Mages.

Our BLM kills we took a single WHM. Our Melee kills we take 3 excellent white mages. You can use somewhat half-assed COR and BRD and still get good results, they're less necessary. In both setups you need 3 - 4 Geomancers.
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2019-01-18 16:37:01  

This is called laziness. It's very easy and cheap to build a proper PDT, Fast Cast, Magic Burst, MP Burst set. It costs no more than 10mil.
Yes, I'm with you here, no problem.

The problem is that despite the calendar showing 2019 and SE adding a ***ton of gear for every job to have better access to PDT, MDT, MDB and DT, it's still the norm to have people without gear.

So I'm trying to understand how practical is BLM setup at the end of the day and so far, from my experience doing Wave 3 and from what I'm reading here, BLM sounds like the least practical (unless the answer to my previous post is in favor of BLM).

Because it's one of the easiest ways to do Dynamis. Relies a lot less on good white mages (which are very hard to find). And it's extremely effective in Dynamis.
Makes a lot of sense on the WHM part, we only have one competent enough and she's in the tank party so we wouldn't be able to afford it for melees.

I can't dispute the effectiveness I'm sure it's there but from what I've seen so far, it seems rather complicated to pull off. If a second or third WHM is all it takes to have melee setup rise above, it might be the easier route for the "average" groups.

Melee setups need the exact same prep. They have the added disadvantage of needing your melee to have a DT set AND to have good White Mages.

Our BLM kills we took a single WHM. Our Melee kills we take 3 excellent white mages. You can use somewhat half-assed COR and BRD and still get good results, they're less necessary. In both setups you need 3 - 4 Geomancers.
I see.

In this case I guess while WHMs and DDs having proper gear is important, it really sounds like the buffs dictate more than anything else.

Thanks for the info, I'm mainly trying to see what I could do to make things better in my group.
 Bismarck.Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2019-01-18 16:51:39  
Let me gear blm for 1 event that i do once or twice a week while other methods are faster...
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-01-18 17:09:25  
Don't try to interject logic on ffxi. That's how ffxi is played. Get all the best gear possible, and use it for one event. Then change.
[+]
By Chimerawizard 2019-01-18 17:36:12  
Fix Meteor, no 'meteor resistance' no elemental seal to cast, and actually does good damage.
add Magic Defense Down to Dia.
un-nerf malaise.
or turn BLM into a melee job who's physical accuracy check is replaced by a magic accuracy check, and who's physical damage is replaced with its nuke damage with staff DMG: being the V and a level check for the M.
[+]
 Shiva.Berzerk
サーバ: Shiva
user: Berzerk06
By Shiva.Berzerk 2019-01-18 18:15:18  

I'm not saying BLM method is superior to melee method or anything, I'm saying it's an easy method to get wave 3 wins. It was even more so before REMA Augments, Dyna D weapon augs, and neck augments were around. I have done both methods and with the right group who knows what they're doing they can both accomplish the same tasks.

The OP asked how to make BLM relevant. It was/is still relevant in the most recently released content and still can be. Still relevant for other recent content as well. If people don't want to put in the effort to BLM they're probably not the ones that care if BLM is relevant or not and would rather play other jobs, more power to them. All I was doing is giving examples for how the job can be used in current endgame. "Easy" is subjective for sure, it's a career job for me on multiple characters and I find use for it multiple times a week sometimes more depending on what my current goals are.
 Bismarck.Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2019-01-18 18:37:16  
3 things isn't relevant(dyna3 zerde vagary) especially if other jobs do it more efficiently (dyna3)

Blm right now isn't fun

Waiting for sch to mb something for 20mins straight is stupid boring... and insulting when others do it faster and are having more fun

If people don't want to put in the effort to BLM they're probably not the ones that care if BLM is relevant or not and would rather play other jobs, more power to them.

and more stuff done too... let alone the ability to sell clears... try that the blm method
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2019-01-18 19:02:47  
Asura.Eiryl said: »
Don't try to interject logic on ffxi. That's how ffxi is played. Get all the best gear possible, and use it for one event. Then change.
People usually fall short on #2.

I'm not saying BLM method is superior to melee method or anything, I'm saying it's an easy method to get wave 3 wins. It was even more so before REMA Augments, Dyna D weapon augs, and neck augments were around. I have done both methods and with the right group who knows what they're doing they can both accomplish the same tasks.

The OP asked how to make BLM relevant. It was/is still relevant in the most recently released content and still can be. Still relevant for other recent content as well. If people don't want to put in the effort to BLM they're probably not the ones that care if BLM is relevant or not and would rather play other jobs, more power to them. All I was doing is giving examples for how the job can be used in current endgame. "Easy" is subjective for sure, it's a career job for me on multiple characters and I find use for it multiple times a week sometimes more depending on what my current goals are.
Yeah while it is subjective and while I do not play/enjoy BLM, my group in Dyna resorts to BLM for Wave 2/3 so I just found it interesting that it'd be seen as "easy". I mean, it comforts me that if people step up, this set up isn't a bad idea at all, that's positive.
By Pantafernando 2019-01-18 19:14:13  
Give BLM warp iii that warp you directly to mog house, making easier to change jobs.
[+]
By Marootsoobootsu 2019-01-18 19:18:37  
Pantafernando said: »
Give BLM warp iii that warp you directly to mog house, making easier to change jobs.

Give BLM Warp III, that warps you to where you were before your last warp.
By Afania 2019-01-18 20:18:16  
I'd say the best way to fix blm(and pet DD too) is to do an overhaul to how DD job works....

As an MMO, different DD type in ffxi has such bad synergy between each other. Why can't blm just join a melee alliance, free nuke while other DD engage spam ws, and still come out competitive on parse? The fact that blm needs malaise/tact roll/magic burst to do dmg makes it tough to include them in endgame alliances unless everyone else also plays blm and sch.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
サーバ: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2019-01-18 20:29:56  
I'd say the best way to fix blm(and pet DD too) is to do an overhaul to how DD job works....

As an MMO, different DD type in ffxi has such bad synergy between each other. Why can't blm just join a melee alliance, free nuke while other DD engage spam ws, and still come out competitive on parse? The fact that blm needs malaise/tact roll/magic burst to do dmg makes it tough to include them in endgame alliances unless everyone else also plays blm and sch.

This is a bit misleading. Would you say that a melee w/o songs and sam/chaos roll in a BLM party would be competitive? The game is built around buffing the damage dealers you have- the fact that different types of damage demand different buffs is fine in my book. A balance can occur in alliance settings where multiple buff sets can be applied independently, or a party setup focusing on 2 DDs SC'ing followed by a burst still can result in an equal parse (or more comparabile, let's say). The problem is those options are just slower.
 Bismarck.Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2019-01-18 21:14:37  
Do we really have to explain why buffing 1 type of dmg so 1 job can be useful is a problem?
 Siren.Kyte
サーバ: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2019-01-18 21:58:36  
Chimerawizard said: »
un-nerf malaise.

What nerf are you referring to?
By Afania 2019-01-18 22:06:12  
Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »

This is a bit misleading. Would you say that a melee w/o songs and sam/chaos roll in a BLM party would be competitive? The game is built around buffing the damage dealers you have- the fact that different types of damage demand different buffs is fine in my book. A balance can occur in alliance settings where multiple buff sets can be applied independently, or a party setup focusing on 2 DDs SC'ing followed by a burst still can result in an equal parse (or more comparabile, let's say). The problem is those options are just slower.

DD SCing follow by a burst is damn suboptimal in relevant endgame because buff splitting. Wouldn't say that's balance in any way.

BLM is only one job, even if you add sch that's only 2. It makes more sense to overhaul battle system so they can fit in melee pt and still dps, not the other way around.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-01-18 22:17:47  
Ya know blm used to fit in just fine in a 6 person party. it's the regoddamndiculous buff stacking that needs to be changed. and also won't ever be changed.

A lot of things need to change.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 20 21 22