Are These People Serious?

Eorzea Time

言語: JP EN FR DE
日本語版のFFXIVPRO利用したい場合は、上記の"JP"を設定して、又はjp.ffxivpro.comを直接に利用してもいいです
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Are these people serious?
Are these people serious?
First Page 2 3 4 5 ... 8 9 10
 Sylph.Beelshamen
サーバ: Sylph
Game: FFXI
By Sylph.Beelshamen 2009-11-04 17:05:53  
I'm agnostic.

I think being an atheist is too arrogant on its own. Since I don't know, I pick the middle road and live my life.
 Asura.Korpg
サーバ: Asura
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-11-04 17:06:45  
Asura.Eeek said:
You knew what, exactly? I'm convinced that you say and believe whatever is convenient for you at any given moment regardless of fact or what you've previously stated. I can't discern any kind of consistent logic, moral code, or internal belief structure within you.

I knew the reason why Columbus came to America (according to his diaries and what the history books say, not what he was thinking at the time) but I desided to rephrase that in a sarcastic manner that went over your head and caused that attack against my knowledge in the manner.

Shiva.Enjoylife said:
if i looked like korpg id be an athiest too

We turning this into another "Bash Korpg" and "Bash fat people" thread? Trying to get this locked like that other thread?

Shiva.Enjoylife said:
no one here is going to change there mind based on what they've read in this thread

Spreading false or altered information is the problem, which is the whole point of this discussion. If our views of a religion is incorrect, we have the choice to change our views or not say anything about the subject again.

Ramuh.Lilbusta said:
Asura.Korpg said:
So, you saying the unjust pillaging of Jewish and Islam villages by the Crusaders never happened?
Those actions were accepted in the rules of war back in those days. They would do the same to other Christians if they were denied food/quarters for the troops.

I doubt that the Christians would deny their ruler (because that happens to be who leads his men during the Crusades) a place to sleep and rest. And, I doubt that all Christians during the Crusades were all great people because all in all, you have a mob mentality who thinks they own your lives, so why should they let you live peacefully? Anyone (and I do mean anyone) in that position of power will abuse it to the full extent. Especially since you can get away with it.
 Ramuh.Lilbusta
サーバ: Ramuh
user: phatspade
By Ramuh.Lilbusta 2009-11-04 17:09:06  
But you forget that at the time the Church was the ruler and how long do you think it would take a message to get to those parts of the "known" world? Not everyone was update on what's going on with the changes in a timely fashion.
 Fairy.Maimed
サーバ: Fairy
user: Maimed
By Fairy.Maimed 2009-11-04 17:12:02  
Back in those days, there was no internet. Chatrooms were basically intertwined cans and string, and the moderators were the only people in the village with a pair of scissors.

I'm willing to bet all my gil that's how communication was done back in those days.
 Ramuh.Lilbusta
By Ramuh.Lilbusta 2009-11-04 17:13:34  
I don't believe that at all. I think it was messenger pigeons and the mods had shotguns.
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-11-04 17:15:51  
Ramuh.Lilbusta said:
But you forget that at the time the Church was the ruler and how long do you think it would take a message to get to those parts of the "known" world? Not everyone was update on what's going on with the changes in a timely fashion.

Church had power, but they weren't the ruling class.

Why do you think England rebeled against them and won?

Church had money, they had power, but they didn't use it to create a state (a government if you will) to rule their people with. Only reason why the actual governments didn't oppose them (with the exception of England) was because they happen to meet the needs of the ruling classes.

See, here's the mentality of the ruling classes: I need some loyal followers here, and an army to beat the ***out of anyone who opposes me. All I got are a bunch of retards who don't know ***from ***. I need something to modivate them into dying for my causes. Oh ***, here comes a religion. I can tell them that if they make outlandish promises for me, like that I'm appointed by God, and that my word is also God's word, then I can get them to do my bidding. All its going to cost me is to give some money to this "Church" of theirs and "swear" my alligance to the Church, even though my enemies also swear their alligance to the same Church. As long as they leave me alone politically, I will leave them alone politically.

See what I mean?
 Fairy.Maimed
By Fairy.Maimed 2009-11-04 17:16:09  
I'm pretty sure the scissor was invented before the shotgun :P
 Fairy.Maimed
By Fairy.Maimed 2009-11-04 17:17:45  
Korpg, your avatar has me wondering if your boobs really do bounce like that irl lol
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-11-04 17:19:32  
Why is everyone obsessed about my looks?

You guys uglier than me or something?
 Ramuh.Lilbusta
By Ramuh.Lilbusta 2009-11-04 17:20:31  
I am and the Church>Kingdoms back then. It just united all of them to get what they wanted.

Shotgun was around before the wheel was invented.

FACT!
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-11-04 17:22:07  
Ramuh.Lilbusta said:
I am and the Church>Kingdoms back then. It just united all of them to get what they wanted.

Yet, they did not rule.

How were they better than the ruling class?

Edit: Forgot to mention that they also did not unite the people. You still had wars on a yearly basis even with the Church "controlling" them all.

Controlling = influencing, not ruling in this manner.
 Ramuh.Lilbusta
By Ramuh.Lilbusta 2009-11-04 17:22:59  
The ruling class bowed to them and did what "God" told them to do.
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-11-04 17:25:00  
Ramuh.Lilbusta said:

No they didn't.

God says to not kill, but yet they killed on a daily basis "in the name of God."

How was that control? Or showing absolute obedience?
 Ramuh.Lilbusta
By Ramuh.Lilbusta 2009-11-04 17:29:07  
They were told it was God's land and the Christians must control it even if bloodshed was needed. The Church can forgive all sins that were committed.

I shall only stop debating for the fact that this would never end and it's getting boring.
 Ragnarok.Anye
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2009-11-04 17:31:19  
Asura.Korpg said:
Ramuh.Lilbusta said:
No they didn't. God says to not kill, but yet they killed on a daily basis "in the name of God." How was that control? Or showing absolute obedience?

I would say that it wasn't. They weren't acting Biblically (and therefore weren't acting as Christians) but based on "natural" human laws.

All because people say they act in the name of God, doesn't mean they are. *duh*
 Fairy.Maimed
By Fairy.Maimed 2009-11-04 17:32:19  
Korpg, I sincerely doubt me asking that question is being "obsessed" with your looks. But you're right. Picking an avatar that jiggles her boobs screams "Respect me for my intellect!" Don't flatter yourself, it was a semi-innocent question. I wasn't planning on throwing my life away to buy a plane ticket and convince myself we have a future together, lol.
[+]
 Seraph.Caiyuo
サーバ: Seraph
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-11-04 17:49:45  
Fairy.Maimed said:
Korpg, I sincerely doubt me asking that question is being "obsessed" with your looks. But you're right. Picking an avatar that jiggles her boobs screams "Respect me for my intellect!" Don't flatter yourself, it was a semi-innocent question. I wasn't planning on throwing my life away to buy a plane ticket and convince myself we have a future together, lol.
Oh lord. lol <3
 Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra
サーバ: Midgardsormr
user: Sect
By Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra 2009-11-04 17:56:23  
Shiva.Enjoylife said:
if i looked like korpg id be an athiest too

User submitted image

For when, you seriously are a douchebag for that first comment, that has nothing to do with any of this.

For second, the first argument in that picture is also applied to religion. No one has any clue where energy/matter started or how we even exist. Also, the same fact of the matter is that it can be said that God came from nowhere, too. Real believable.

Everything after the start of existence is accountable for by science.
 Asura.Ludoggy
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-11-04 17:59:19  
Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra said:
No one has any clue where energy/matter started or how we even exist.

God made it, duh.
Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra said:

Everything after the start of existence is accountable for by science.

Evolution. How were reese's peanut butter cups first made? etc.
 Seraph.Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-11-04 18:02:56  
Asura.Ludoggy said:
Evolution. How were reese's peanut butter cups first made? etc.
*holds 2 toy cars up* It was like ...crash! *booms them together*
 Fairy.Maimed
By Fairy.Maimed 2009-11-04 18:11:06  
That Family Guy episode comes to mind.
 Seraph.Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-11-04 18:17:17  
That's what I was driving at! ohohoho!
 Fairy.Maimed
By Fairy.Maimed 2009-11-04 18:23:53  
lawlz
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-11-04 18:23:58  
Fairy.Maimed said:

Yeah, I'm really a hot chick behind the screen, aren't I?

And I wasn't just directing that comment to you, another person also happens to comment on my looks....

Ramuh.Lilbusta said:
They were told it was God's land and the Christians must control it even if bloodshed was needed. The Church can forgive all sins that were committed.

Was it the church who really said that or was that one of the ruling class's rules? Alas, I don't know the answer to that either, but if you look at it logically, one would say that the ruling class has more to gain from that comment than the Church.

Ragnarok.Anye said:
Asura.Korpg said:
Ramuh.Lilbusta said:
No they didn't. God says to not kill, but yet they killed on a daily basis "in the name of God." How was that control? Or showing absolute obedience?
I would say that it wasn't. They weren't acting Biblically (and therefore weren't acting as Christians) but based on "natural" human laws. All because people say they act in the name of God, doesn't mean they are. *duh*

Ok, welcome to theology 101. Religions are made based on "natural" human laws. The morals are made from what is percieved to be "right and just" and can change at any time. Everything about every religion is just a shared believe about what is right in the world, plus it has some nice moral stories and usually some guy who dies for you or disappears and promises to come back or is reincarnated from a different relm or plane. If you just take out the stories, and looked really hard at the morals, you will find that the 10 Commandments = the 99 rules of Islam = the teachings of Budha. They are all the same. Period. /end preach.
 Bismarck.Saleam
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Saleam
By Bismarck.Saleam 2009-11-04 18:39:25  
100% against religion -.- So long as people are fighting and dieing over it, I'll never follow it or respect it. Religion was born out of a fear of death, and a need for closure, and then manipulated as an extremely efficient means to control the masses. I don't see animals worshiping a god, which is maybe due to a lack of intelligence, but I would think if a deity wanted to be worshiped it would be a matter of instinct anyway. I'm just glad I can throw Charles Darwin at all the brain washed missionaries coming to my door and telling me about the start of human kind, and how I should live my life. And of course, who created the creator?
 Seraph.Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-11-04 18:41:53  
Fairy.Maimed said:
lawlz
Non-committal laughing is unacceptable. Either caps that ***, add in some "ha"s or it's just hurting my feelings.
 Bismarck.Saleam
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Saleam
By Bismarck.Saleam 2009-11-04 18:47:40  
Sylph.Beelshamen said:
I'm agnostic.

I think being an atheist is too arrogant on its own. Since I don't know, I pick the middle road and live my life.

Also, I don't think being an atheist is too arrogant at all. If you take a look at religion, and take what they say at face value then I could argue that my claim to own a magical eraser that flies and talks and guides my life along the path of righteousness is just as valid. Is it so much to ask for proof? Could not such an incredible being as god, who is renown for creating the world in five days, send down another prophet in modern times (cell phone pictures or it didn't happen) like he supposedly did Jesus? If he exists, he sees the doubt in all of us, he sees the wars over it... What's he doing? having a lol over it?
 Asura.Ludoggy
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-11-04 18:49:34  
Bismarck.Saleam said:
Could not such an incredible being as god, who is renown for creating the world in five days

He lol's at stuff like this.
[+]
 Cerberus.Saiya
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Saiya
By Cerberus.Saiya 2009-11-04 18:51:53  
It seems a very 'human' concept to insist that God created man 'in his own image'^^. Leave that kind of raving conceit to humans any day.

Religion far too closely resembles politics in my opinion, and I'm sure anyone will see the negative connotations of that comparison.

I know for a fact that for many people, organised religion gives them something to focus on and enriches their lives, genuinely, which is a wonderful thing. Then again, my ex-girlfriend now has some 'serious' mental issues as a direct result of being involved in devout Christianity =/.

That being said the existence of such a powerful tool which by default isn't required to substantiate the majority of things it does, seems like a bad idea when you consider the large potential for human subversion.

I guess what I mean is many of the principles inherent in religious teachings are great and wonderful things. But if something has such potential for spurning some of the horrific acts mentioned in this thread, the question is raised; overall, wouldn't we be better off without it?

Added Note: It's always bothered me that the Pope lolls around in gold & jewel encrusted robes... where's the humble? XD
[+]
 Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra
サーバ: Midgardsormr
user: Sect
By Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra 2009-11-04 18:52:15  
Bismarck.Saleam said:
Sylph.Beelshamen said:
I'm agnostic.

Also, I don't think being an atheist is too arrogant at all. If you take a look at religion, and take what they say at face value then I could argue that my claim to own a magical eraser that flies and talks and guides my life along the path of righteousness is just as valid. Is it so much to ask for proof? Could not such an incredible being as god, who is renown for creating the world in five days, send down another prophet in modern times (cell phone pictures or it didn't happen) like he supposedly did Jesus? If he exists, he sees the doubt in all of us, he sees the wars over it... What's he doing? having a lol over it?

If there is a 'God' he's probably letting us run our course. Any interference is pretty unfair and would taint our true nature. It would be "good" but not "truly good". If he's out there, he's waiting for us to become "good" on our own decision. I'd guess.

Anyways, I don't really think atheism is arrogance because belief isn't a choice, generally speaking. I don't choose to believe there's nothing out there, it just feels more right than anything else.
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 ... 8 9 10