May 2023 Version Update (Part 1)

Eorzea Time

言語: JP EN FR DE
日本語版のFFXIVPRO利用したい場合は、上記の"JP"を設定して、又はjp.ffxivpro.comを直接に利用してもいいです
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » General » May 2023 Version Update (Part 1)
May 2023 Version Update (Part 1)
First Page 2 3 ... 10 11
 Bahamut.Navius
サーバ: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: phot0nic
By Bahamut.Navius 2023-05-16 17:00:16  
There's definitely some shimmering there, it's mostly noticeable on the ground. But yeah, mine looks a bit worse than this even with 16x anisotropic filtering and 'high quality' settings. It goes away almost completely with mipmapping set to 6.
 Asura.Meliorah
サーバ: Asura
user: DatGoose
By Asura.Meliorah 2023-05-16 17:28:29  
That doesn't look like youtube compression *** your video, that looks like you're using a low bitrate on your video. Assuming you're using OBS like anyone else these days and you don't know a thing about setting up advance settings and what tweaks you might need to make to get desirable outcomes this would be my recommendation.

Helps if you have a dedicate drive to record to, could use lossless as well but I didn't see the benefit of having a 80gb file for a 20 minute recording.
By Dodik 2023-05-16 18:01:32  
RadialArcana said: »
Does dgvoodoo increase ram use or have any other negative impacts?

Anisotropic filtering via drivers is done in hardware and does not increase the game's memory use.

Mip mapping in game is done in software. Can't speak for dgVoodoo's, that may be software based but still, it's outside the game process.
 Asura.Meliorah
user: DatGoose
By Asura.Meliorah 2023-05-16 18:09:29  
80mbps at 4k is not gonna yiled great results.
I run at 156mb at 2560x1440 and don't deal with any of the compression bits that eat up all the fine details. I would run 80 if I recording at 1920x1080 and wanted a clean picture, 80 at 1440 would likely have the compression bits eating up details.

Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2023-05-16 18:15:46  
Dodik said: »
Does dgvoodoo increase ram use or have any other negative impacts?

Anisotropic filtering via drivers is done in hardware and does not increase the game's memory use.

Mip mapping in game is done in software. Can't speak for dgVoodoo's, that may be software based but still, it's outside the game process.

wut

Anisotropic filtering is never a 'hardware level' thing, there are no dedicated cores on a GPU associated with it. It's always done through software (nvidia drivers are software) and will always have an impact on VRAM (and after VRAM, system memory). Anything related to increasing the quality of textures will, in some way, increase or decrease VRAM usage.

Far as not hitting XI's 4gb limit that should be true. But every method will impact VRAM.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2023-05-16 18:25:51  
I can at least confirm with 100% certainty that I've never seen anything remotely resembling that kind of ants all over the floor shimmering using regular upscaled textures + AFx16. Honestly with what's going on in that video I have to wonder if AF is doing anything for that texture at all.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2023-05-16 20:05:21  
Valefor.Prothescar said: »
I can at least confirm with 100% certainty that I've never seen anything remotely resembling that kind of ants all over the floor shimmering using regular upscaled textures + AFx16. Honestly with what's going on in that video I have to wonder if AF is doing anything for that texture at all.

I don't think AF is even being applied in that video...

For me
Super sampling: on
Bump mapping: on
Mip mapping: 3 (using windower plugin to fix it)
Dgvoodoo: 4GB memory, 16x AF
Pol.exe patched with 4gb patch

Then reshade with
AdaptiveSharpen
AmbientLight
Clarity
HDR
Levels
Vibrance

My reshade config for anyone interested.
 Bahamut.Navius
サーバ: Bahamut
user: phot0nic
By Bahamut.Navius 2023-05-16 21:33:54  
I have to wonder if AF is doing anything for that texture at all.
Asura.Saevel said: »
I don't think AF is even being applied in that video...

It almost definitely is, mine looks about the same with 16x AF enabled but mipmapping disabled. I assure you it looks *far* worse if I were to also disable AF (the sand in Rabao on a sunny day is almost seizure-inducing).

But I wouldn't expect you guys to run into the issue because Prothescar is using the upscaled textures, which are much less detailed and aren't as susceptible to shimmering, and Saevel has mipmapping enabled, which is designed to correct this exact issue.

Overall it's no biggie now that Ashita/Windower have a fix to the mipmapping bug; just enable mipmapping and the shimmering goes away. It was concerning for a little while though when it was unknown if 3rd party tools would be able to fix the issue or not.
[+]
By RadialArcana 2023-05-17 04:24:42  
Mipmapping in 11 takes textures in the game and creates smaller versions of each texture (at zone load for zones and in real time as you see something for everything else (including side rooms in places like sandoria) and stores them in vram along with the original one, it makes them based on the mipmap setting.

The real time creation of mipmaps is one of the reasons they have to keep textures so small (cpu/card load), and with larger textures you can sometimes feel a little hitch as whatever is loaded on your screen because it creates all these mipmaps on the fly. In games like Skyrim these mipmaps are created by the artist and stored in the data files as to not cause performance problems, and it just loads everything off the hard drive. However because XI is a ps2 game and they had strict limits on hard drive space they couldn't do that.

So if you have a 1024x1024 texture for the grass and mipmap x6 it will have the 1024 texture in ram, then make a 512x512 version, a 256x256, 128x128, 64x64, 32x32, 16x16 and store those all in ram. It does this with all the textures, so if a modded zone file was 100meg of textures then this would turn it into a 180-190meg of textures in ram. That's just the zone, not counting player textures, weapons, armors, monsters etc.

It uses the textures above like this

The reason it shimmers without mipmapping is becasue it takes the large 1024 texture and squishes it while retaining the original size and detail and just shows it at the distance, this means all the pixels in that 1024 texture layered at a distance are fighting each other to be seen and as you move it's displaying different pixels so it looks like an ever changing mess. This is why the problem stops when you stop moving.

The reason this doesn't happen on upscales is because upscales remove detail anyway so it's effectively a heavily blurred texture and there is really no detail pixel fighting going on.

Bump mapping is zone textures only and it loads additional dat files with duplicates of every texture in black and white and at a small size, this isn't a big deal normally because vanilla bump maps are almost thumb nail size but Amelila made custom bump maps which are quite a bit bigger than normal. So a bit more loading time for zones and more ram use with those specifically.

I noticed with dgvoodoo, that if it's not properly setup it will make HQ text box fonts look terrible, I think it was related to the msa setting.

DGvoodoo with max settings seems pretty good, it's maybe 90% what mipmapping x5-6 offers and without the downsides of it (potential minor hitching and extra ram use). If you have problems it's a good alternative I think.

I've never once had a blackscreen and use a ton of mods, use mipmap 4-5 and multibox, I think it's possibly some kind of windows 10+ issue in relation to dx8 games.
[+]
By Dodik 2023-05-17 05:30:16  
I've never once had a blackscreen and use a ton of mods, use mipmap 4-5 and multibox, I think it's possibly some kind of windows 10+ issue in relation to dx8 games.

I get black screens a lot but only on Windows 10.
By Dodik 2023-05-17 05:37:25  
It's always done through software
Everything is software. Difference is one is done by the game without gpu acceleration the other is done by gpu drivers with gpu acceleration and carries no performance cost.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2023-05-24 00:24:02  
248 more files and no funk to mine

Half the update is music037 and music038
By Vaerix 2023-05-24 00:25:19  
Asura.Eiryl said: »
248 more files and no funk to mine

:( i just checked twitch to see if maybe he'd be on lol
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2023-05-24 00:27:06  
Quote:
New stages have been added to Prime Weapons.
In addition to Gallimaufry, you will need the items below to enhance your Prime Weapons.
Octahedrite
Hexahedrite
Mesosiderite
Voracious Psyche
Elijah in Upper Jeuno (G-6) now grants voracious psyche as a reward for completing Peculiar Foes objectives in Records of Eminence, as long as you have fulfilled the following conditions.
Complete all the Peculiar Foe objectives at least once
Complete The Voracious Resurgence
Note: You may only obtain up to 5 voracious psyche per month.

hmm. well then.

Quote:
Certain Sortie notorious monsters now behave differently depending on the stage of the Prime Weapon you are carrying.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2023-05-24 00:30:12  
Taking bets on how broken it is when you have 6 party members all with different stage weapons

and/or swapping to and from a prime to nonprime to break ai
(specifically because they "forgot" to make it set on spawn)
[+]
By Lobivopsis 2023-06-06 03:14:35  
Leviathan.Wiccaan said: »

Given the client is also coded to use Direct3D 8, it lacks a lot of the improvements seen to the DirectX SDK over the years since. Even just porting up to 9 would be a large gain in performance and additional feature sets for the game. SE had promised this was going to happen multiple times in the past, but it never came to be sadly.

They must have though for the Xbox 360 version, because the Xbox 360 was D3D9 only, it did not have a version of D3D8 for FFXI to use. I could totally see SE having a 360 D3D9 client for FFXI and just sitting on it because reasons though. I mean they had xinput coded for FFXI (also on the 360) and just sat on it for years before finally bringing it over to the PC client because dinput gamepads were becoming impossible to find anymore.
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2023-06-06 05:09:23  
I think I remember Microsoft helping SE a lot with the X360 client.
Granted a few graphic things were better/unique on X360, this doesn't necessarily mean they converted all of their client to D3D9.
Maybe they used some other trick, similar to DGvoodoo etc, to simulate D3D8 within the Xbox environment.

Honestly I think for a code as old and as complex as FFXI surely is, that might have been the most efficient route I'm afraid.
By Felgarr 2023-06-06 11:45:56  
Asura.Sechs said: »
Granted a few graphic things were better/unique on X360, this doesn't necessarily mean they converted all of their client to D3D9.
Maybe they used some other trick, similar to DGvoodoo etc, to simulate D3D8 within the Xbox environment.

Honestly I think for a code as old and as complex as FFXI surely is, that might have been the most efficient route I'm afraid.

Slightly OT: If you haven't updated dgVoodoo2 since it was first mentioend on these forums since in 2019 or so, please update right away. The performance improvements in recent years, alone are extremely impressive:

http://dege.freeweb.hu/dgVoodoo2/dgVoodoo2/
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2023-06-06 14:04:52  
what should you download from there? 2.8, 2.81 or 2.82?
By Felgarr 2023-06-06 16:16:29  
what should you download from there? 2.8, 2.81 or 2.82?

I've been using this one for about 5 days now, without any issues:

dgVoodoo v2.8.2 - for regular usage (re-released: 2023.05.12)
By Lobivopsis 2023-06-06 21:26:44  
Felgarr said: »

Slightly OT: If you haven't updated dgVoodoo2 since it was first mentioend on these forums since in 2019 or so, please update right away. The performance improvements in recent years, alone are extremely impressive:

http://dege.freeweb.hu/dgVoodoo2/dgVoodoo2/

They just recently fixed the fog bug, apparently the shader translation was adding unneeded post processing steps which was what was causing the problem. Also if you edit dgVoodoo.conf directly with a text editor there is an option to force 24bit or 32bit zbuffers and stencil buffers which solves most of the z-fighting issues FFXI has.
First Page 2 3 ... 10 11