users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Tech Support » Losing Game Sound with KVM
Losing Game Sound with KVM
 Bismarck.Demetor
サーバ: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Demetor
By Bismarck.Demetor 2023-09-13 09:38:52  
Only a minor annoyance, but I use my home desk setup for my personal PC and my work laptop, and switch between them with a KVM switch.

Sometimes I lose game sound when switching back, other times not, and it's impossible to get it back when it happens other than relaunching from scratch. In cases where it's lost forever FFXI won't show up on the Volume Mixer at all. In cases where I can still salvage it without relaunching, only sound effects work (foot steps, targeting, spell casting), but zone background music is gone - this is remedied by zoning.

Realize it's a bit esoteric and will vary depending on the actual KVM hardware, but any chance anyone's aware of a simple windows setting that might help fix this? I actually used to play with music/sound effects all the way off, but now that I've started playing with them again I find it annoying when they're gone.
By Felgarr 2023-09-13 09:47:53  
I want to try this. Which KVM do you use?
 Bismarck.Radec
サーバ: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Radec
By Bismarck.Radec 2023-09-13 10:06:00  
It's not simple, but I solved a similar issue with a software audio mixer.

https://vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/banana.htm

Set all windows audio output to Voicemeeter, set Voicemeeter output to your normal sound device. If you get no-audio after a KVM swap, I've always been able to get it back by resetting the Voicemeeter output device (A1).

Downsides - it's a CPU hit to run this, and it has to be on from startup/all the time. If you're on a potato, this might not be for you.
By Asura.Aragan 2023-09-13 10:43:10  
Bismarck.Demetor said: »
Only a minor annoyance, but I use my home desk setup for my personal PC and my work laptop, and switch between them with a KVM switch.

Sometimes I lose game sound when switching back, other times not, and it's impossible to get it back when it happens other than relaunching from scratch. In cases where it's lost forever FFXI won't show up on the Volume Mixer at all. In cases where I can still salvage it without relaunching, only sound effects work (foot steps, targeting, spell casting), but zone background music is gone - this is remedied by zoning.

Realize it's a bit esoteric and will vary depending on the actual KVM hardware, but any chance anyone's aware of a simple windows setting that might help fix this? I actually used to play with music/sound effects all the way off, but now that I've started playing with them again I find it annoying when they're gone.

I think this work

Go BIOS in start pc

Confirm [USB Audio Controller] option is Enabled.