フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Corsair » Low Level Corsair Gear
Low Level Corsair Gear
 Garuda.Wooooodum
サーバ: Garuda
Game: FFXI
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-11-06 13:06:11  
Siren.Enternius said:
I'm no stranger to wasting lots of money on a job. That's not exactly my point.

My point is, if you're paying to attack, and your options are either to hit or to miss, you're going to want to take the hit, even if it's less productive over time.

It's not your point, yet that's what you said, lol.

Siren.Enternius said:
Sure, your ACC isn't perfect but whenever you're on a ranged job, you have a mindset that you're paying for every attack.
 Ramuh.Haseyo
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2009-11-06 13:19:13  
Cor ranged acc is garbage at low levels. Hell it isn't that hot at 75 either unless /Rng.

Landing bullets is far more important than hitting harder when on Cor.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-11-06 13:20:39  
Ramuh.Haseyo said:
Hell it isn't that hot at 75 either unless /Rng.

Well, I disagree with that. My accuracy parses ~95% on most sky gods and Kirin and this is /WAR.
 Ramuh.Haseyo
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2009-11-06 13:23:30  
I didn't have nearly good of gear as you do, lol.
 Fairy.Tbest
サーバ: Fairy
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-11-06 13:37:37  
Off-topic posts are off-topic.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-11-06 13:45:54  
Fairy.Tbest said:
Off-topic posts are off-topic.

Cheerio then. :)
 Fairy.Deliverance
By Fairy.Deliverance 2009-11-06 14:51:39  
Alright this is my stance on things sorry I stopped reading this post for an hour while I drove home and it exploded.

Wooooo (Not counting the O's...) I'm just going to call you Woo~dum. :P
Hope that's cool.

Anyways I said Beetle Earrings/ring... only because I figured 2 acc on each ear wouldn't hurt when I was using a dagger... not too sure on that.

I am going all out on this job, I don't care about price tags, was looking into Mercurial Cris for later on etc. I've read some COR enjoy using that.

So, so far what I've gathered.

Range Accuracy > Range Attack at lower levels, at higher levels I'll have a Range WS build, that most likely serve to both of the above stats.

Archer's Knives were easily obtained as well as the PCC, would you still reccomend hanging onto the beetle ear-rings I plan on getting? Or not so much. I mean ... 15k for +8 range acc seems nice.

I'm not to keen on this job like I said, being level 9, I don't have much, I have gear for higher levels, currently I am parked in West Saruta...attempting to get a Firefly. It seems a lot better than the Musketoon. A lot better.

Bullet prices don't bug me, but I have a Bandolier... from Gustaberg.

Pretty much the basic want for this job, is for it to become my end-game job. I want to play it correctly, and I want to end up being the Corsair that is called on for Merit partys, etc. I'm not expecting to get there fast, but, nevertheless I will get there.

Sorry for this being a wall of text, there was a lot to reply to.

I will look into that Aquaducts Dagger, being a BST, I love that place :P. But that is for another thread.

Anyways...

Pretty much what I have gotten in the above posts.

Corsair =

Gear = Range Acc/Attack ... Low levels/DD situations = Dagger

In the same Token, depending on subjobs/if in a support roll, Staves.

Job =

Pretty much keeping your rolls up, and participating with whatever else you can bring to the table as far as healing/DDing.

PS: I'm at the beginning stage of COR, looking to become an End-game COR, big goals, or expectations do not scare me, so please... don't look at this thread thinking well he's not even level 30 yet. Let loose, I'll level faster than most think.
 Siren.Kuz
サーバ: Siren
user: RobKuz
By Siren.Kuz 2009-11-06 15:18:17  
Fairy.Deliverance said:
Pretty much the basic want for this job, is for it to become my end-game job. I want to play it correctly, and I want to end up being the Corsair that is called on for Merit partys, etc. I'm not expecting to get there fast, but, nevertheless I will get there.

PS: I'm at the beginning stage of COR, looking to become an End-game COR, big goals, or expectations do not scare me, so please... don't look at this thread thinking well he's not even level 30 yet. Let loose, I'll level faster than most think.

coming from Experience doing Sky, Dynamis, SCNMs, and Limbus with my LS as COR...

IF you're final goal is to be situated in End-game as COR... make sure you have these basics:
Sub-Jobs: RNG, WAR, NIN, WHM, BLM
You WILL be called on for them.

Gear to look forward to either Camping, buying or paying people to help you aquire and/or having your LS help you with:

Joy-toy, High Quality Staves, MAB GEar...
aim high and get yourself either Hermes Sandles or Crimson Legs for kiting, etc.
Crimson hands are incredible for COR.
Denali or Nimues Tights
Denali body is very nice as well.
and of course... Relic Hat

I HIGHLY Suggest that you get the Mirke Body for COR with the Quickdraw Delay Down, and MAB +4 on it (if you haven't already commited an ACP Body Piece to another Job)

These are but a few suggestions for you COR heading to End-game.
I'm pretty sure others will give you even more suggestions.

These suggestions are based on my experience alone.
I don't have HNM Experience on COR, so I can't help you there.

Also, I have a gear set on my profile you can check as to what I use for QD-COR
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-11-06 18:56:08  
Deliverance, Beetle Earrings give attack, not accuracy.

Regarding end game it's good to make sure you understand that neither approach is right or wrong when it comes to end game Corsair. There is no reason why Corsairs can't do exceptional damage like Rangers, and there's no reason you can't gear Corsair up for Quick Draw spam. Both will provide enjoyable and powerful results; if you're fortunate enough to have the time and money to gear up both, then even better!

Typically, you can get away with going COR to any event. People will welcome you to any party for any situation, since COR has a much more versatile array of buffs than a Bard does. Summoners want you, Samurais want you, Puppetmasters want you. There isn't a job in the game that won't benifit from having a COR in their party. This means it's essentially down to your playing style what you focus on.

It seems Kuz focuses more on the Quick Draw side of COR whereas I focus more on the marksmanship side. I'm sure we both have the available gear and macros for both, however. This is one of COR's endgame pros: you can do whichever the situation demands. For example, you'd be an idiot to go COR/RNG to Kirin, when you could go COR/BLM and blast out 300+ Wind Shots every 45 seconds (with Mirke Wardecors and Quick Draw Merits). Equally, you'd be an idiot to go to something like Omega as COR/BLM when you could go COR/RNG and throw out 1,000+ Slug Shots.

As with most jobs, it's entirely situational. Neither is right or wrong and both should be enjoyable. Since you're inquiring about endgame, I'll summarise what I do in each event I've been to COR as:

Dynamis

Since I'm the shellholder of my Dynamis shell, I tend to do most of the pulling. I find COR/NIN is exceptional for this as I have movement plus, a damaging method of pulling (so pulled monsters in dreamlands don't "hover" on the spot and link things) and my own method of sleeping the occasional monster that slips through the net. It's highly unlikely you'll be pulling unless you're the leader, though, but the runs where I haven't pulled, I've marksmanship'd it up and helped speed up kills whilst providing my party with the relevant buffs. This is usually a DD PT.

Limbus

I go COR/BLM to Ultima and I'm always in the tank party. This is for Magus's Roll for Citadel Buster and important added refresh for tanks and mages alike. I've been COR/RNG a few times to Ultima and it wasn't as fun, as his defense is naturally high. I go COR/RNG to Omega, usually building up TP when it's on the ground and I WS and barrage and stuff when it stands up. I've broken 1k+ on Omega many times as COR/RNG, and my record is 1671 as COR/WAR with Warcry and Berserk up. I don't use COR for other runs though as I'm usually on NIN or RDM.

Sky

I use Sky for gods for the obvious reasons; The added Slow from Earth Shot, the added Paralyze from ice Shot, and the beneficial buffs. Choral Roll works wonders for tanks on things like Byakko that hit harder than they should. I go COR/BLM to Kirin (or /WHM when I'm in the kiting party as I help the PLD out by distributing hate so that one quick draw turns Kirin on me to give the PLD a moment's reprieve). For farming I usually go RDM or RNG.

ZNM

I use COR on the tougher ZNM mobs (Tier 3s, Tier 4s, etc) for the rolls and the quick draw. It's really hard to do any damage to some of the Tier 3's on COR unless /RNG, and the lack of Utsusemi usually got me killed, so I soon stopped that.

And that's pretty much it. That's all I do for endgame at the moment so it's all covered. Back when I was in a HNMLS, I was always COR/WHM in the tank party, healing where necessary, Curaging after Fafnir Wings, using Earth Shot to ehhance Slow, etc. Everything you'd expect a COR to do and more. You'll never hear a HNM BLM or SMN party complaining about having a COR.

What a really love to do with COR, though, is merit parties. COR/RNG using Joyeuse and an accuracy and haste setup, then switching into full STR gear for weapon skills. I blast out 2.5k+ on COR with Chaos and 2x Minuet up, there's no reason you couldn't! The best part about going COR/RNG with Joyeuse is your TP gain keeps up with the other DD and your weapon skills aren't far off; and in the mix, you're giving them rolls that make them even better, or increase your overall experience. Most people think Corsair's Roll isn't worth it, but when you're getting 30k/hour without it, 25% of 30k is a big increase.

tl;dr: COR ftw!
[+]
 Fairy.Deliverance
By Fairy.Deliverance 2009-11-06 19:39:51  
Wooooooodum I said Beetle RINGS for your fingers :p give range acc.

And yes Beetle-Ear Rings have become a moot point, plus it's not really important.

On the important note.

Thanks for all your advice, I'm glad I chose this job :) I can't get the Firefly, I've opened 20-30 chests now. In the time I wasted attempting to farm this I'd probably be passed the level this would be useful for.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-11-06 19:43:29  
Fairy.Deliverance said:
Wooooooodum I said Beetle RINGS for your fingers :p give range acc.

And yes Beetle-Ear Rings have become a moot point, plus it's not really important.

Fairy.Deliverance said:
I've also looked into Beetle Earrings/rings, Bone earrings/rings.

:p

As I said, probably a typo. But honestly, that was not the point of that post. xD
 Fairy.Deliverance
By Fairy.Deliverance 2009-11-06 19:45:54  
I'm just trying to figure out... where to go from here..

I'm leveling in west ronfaurre...

In literally... wearing

Emperor's Band.
San'doria Ring.
Musketoon.
Bronze Bullets
Onion Sword
Bounding Boots

Lol...

I'm up to level 19 now :)
 Fairy.Deliverance
By Fairy.Deliverance 2009-11-07 17:23:46  
Bumping this.
 Siren.Enternius
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-11-07 17:24:40  
What else do you need to know?
 Fairy.Deliverance
By Fairy.Deliverance 2009-11-07 17:31:56  
Well.

At this point.

Cor has been, pretty straight forward.

I'm using a level 13 Sword, right now.

What point do I switch over to daggers?

I bought a Bandit Gun, so I have that... && I'm still using bronze bullets at this point.

I've been using Chaos Roll, and Corsair's Roll, as, there hasn't been a situation to boost range attacks in a party.

Is there any trick to figuring out the math behind Doubling Up?

I've also looked into Getting Noct +1. I have beetle rings, up until I can get the ear-rings/rings for level 29+ But...other than that I am doing fairly well I believe.

I'm interested in getting to level 33 when I actually can start to stack some serious Range Accuracy.

I was thinking of setting up a Voyager Sallet/Jaeger Ring run, Jaeger ring seems like a prett good for COR.
 Siren.Enternius
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-11-07 17:35:21  
Don't switch to daggers until 28. Archer's Knives > all at that point.

And honestly gun isn't really worth using imo until Bullets at 22, which up damage by a LOT.

Also, Hunter's Roll is Melee ACC also, which is a huge boost at low levels. Should keep that up for sure.

If you have a BLM, you can technically solo Voyager Sallet also, which is really worth the effort if you don't mind dying a million times. Otherwise BLM SMN SMN works wonders.
 Fairy.Deliverance
By Fairy.Deliverance 2009-11-07 17:36:44  
Well I was going to get the Voyager Sallet for other jobs, and the Jaeger ring for the COR specifically.

Anyways. I will keep up Hunter's Roll as well then, I didn't know it did that (Sorry).