Horizon strikes again
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
 Lakshmi.Glaciont
サーバ: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: glaciont
By Lakshmi.Glaciont 2024-04-08 12:16:07  
RadialArcana said: »
That we have to put up with constant private server posts in a private server sub forum on a forum built around retail FFXI is disgusting, the entire website only still exists because it offers auction house functionality.

This is worse than P&R.

Fun fact most of the private server posts that are making you disgusted are made from people crapping in Horizon. Infact I’m pretty sure they said they made the subsection for PS to crap talk on them.
VIP
By Lili 2024-04-08 12:37:59  
Is there any way to mute forum sections so that I don't see posts from in here in my ffxiah home page?
 Lakshmi.Glaciont
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: glaciont
By Lakshmi.Glaciont 2024-04-08 12:47:19  
I don't think so, most of the time it just pops up it in the "latest" feed.
By Homsar 2024-04-08 12:47:57  
Ragnarok.Creaucent said: »
Ok so if Horizon started charging the same price as retail there isnt going to be a massive drop in players?

Even disregarding the obvious "SE would shut it down" aspect, Horizon would definitely see a massive drop in players if a sub fee were introduced. That's true of pretty much any game though and doesn't actually equate to being unable to afford it. Sub fees are an outdated model, after all. I wouldn't play Horizon if I had to pay for it, but I also wouldn't play retail if it were free.

Being free to play makes Horizon more enjoyable in the long run to me since I don't feel like I'm obligated to play as often since I'm not paying for it. I'd wager this is true for a sizeable portion of the population.

Fenrir.Niflheim said: »
you poll a dozen people and you will get a dozen answers.

I'd wager that if you somehow polled the collective consciousness of FFXI players, you'd find the answer somewhere between the middle of TOAU and the launch of WOTG. While obviously anecdotal, I'd say the people who were playing at this point loved FFXI enough to not have already gone to WoW and this is when I recall many of my friends moving on from the game. I personally quit retail for the first time after they raised the cap to 80, as did the only other member of my original friend group.
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Jessie
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2024-04-08 12:47:57  
Lili said: »
Is there any way to mute forum sections so that I don't see posts from in here in my ffxiah home page?
I've asked in the past how possible it is to block topics or individual posts. Rooks did acknowledge it, but it probably isn't easy to implement.
By jubes 2024-04-08 12:52:38  
shouldn't be too hard, they already have an opt in button for p&r topics, could do the same thing here
By RadialArcana 2024-04-08 13:13:04  
When people come here, they don't come here to read this and it's really damn annoying that it shows up in the top 10 forum posts. This is why they keep posting in the topic to keep it in the top 10, cause it's advertising it.

This is like going to a forum about marvel movies and there is a section about where the best place to pirate movies is.

FFXIAH is effectively condoning and advertising the server, and if we all went to it FFXIAH would no longer have a reason to exist. So I'm not sure why you're doing it.

It should not be here, and bare min it should be OPT in like p&r was. and not even opt out.
 Bahamut.Negan
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2024-04-08 13:24:38  
Rooks can just change "horizon" to "I eat dooky" or something! He can do that I know!
By Homsar 2024-04-08 13:29:42  
This is why they keep posting in the topic to keep it in the top 10, cause it's advertising it.

You do realize that by continuing to cry and moan in this topic, YOU are advertising it, right? Are you capable of that level of self-awareness?

Also, like all the Horizon topics here are made by retail players bitching about Horizon lol
[+]
 Asura.Highwynn
サーバ: Asura
user: Highwynd
By Asura.Highwynn 2024-04-08 14:44:54  
Hard to be hyped for any FF11 drama after being there when the Stanislav drama happened. Basically the guy who developed Guildwork and later went on to Co-founded Discord, stole an entire LS bank and hopped servers and suffered 0 consequences.
 Cerberus.Fishmonger
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Pometeme
By Cerberus.Fishmonger 2024-04-08 16:42:32  
Asura.Highwynn said: »
Hard to be hyped for any FF11 drama after being there when the Stanislav drama happened. Basically the guy who developed Guildwork and later went on to Co-founded Discord, stole an entire LS bank and hopped servers and suffered 0 consequences.

Cerberus was the trenches of the Botwars, ffxiapp, NASA, and KA all originated from Cerberus players.

nostalgia thread

This is why they keep posting in the topic to keep it in the top 10, cause it's advertising it.
bump
 Odin.Senaki
サーバ: Odin
user: Senaki
By Odin.Senaki 2024-04-08 17:30:20  
Lakshmi.Glaciont said: »
Odin.Senaki said: »
Phoenix.Gavroches said: »
For horizon, it’s just people that want to save $15, because, well, FFXI is an amazing world to explore.
It's more than $15 a month now given all the mog wardrobes tbh.
Albeit, I do agree given this is what I am seeing too. Friends that want to play XI, but cannot afford it are going to Horizon. Others can't justify paying SE given the lack of new content (when compared to other sub-based games like WoW).
Ah the ol' "I have no data to support me saying Horizon is for people who can't afford retail" excuse.

You do realize anecdotal data is still data, right?

Now have I aggregated a large-N dataset from those random convos I've had with my friends? Nah. But it doesn't mean the sentiments of those around me are moot.
By Homsar 2024-04-08 18:11:45  

Now have I aggregated a large-N dataset from those random convos I've had with my friends? Nah. But it doesn't mean the sentiments of those around me are moot.

Sure, but this is all anecdotes vs speculation towards a claim that is in bad faith anyway. The notion the Horizon is occupied by people who can't afford retail is absurd considering the low cost of retail. The amount of people who could play Horizon but not afford to play retail is incredibly small. Horizon obviously benefits massively from being free, but that's largely due to people being unwilling to pay a subscription fee rather than being unable to do so.
 Odin.Senaki
By Odin.Senaki 2024-04-08 18:40:40  
Homsar said: »

Sure, but this is all anecdotes vs speculation towards a claim that is in bad faith anyway. The notion the Horizon is occupied by people who can't afford retail is absurd considering the low cost of retail. The amount of people who could play Horizon but not afford to play retail is incredibly small. Horizon obviously benefits massively from being free, but that's largely due to people being unwilling to pay a subscription fee rather than being unable to do so.

I never claimed it is exclusively occupied by people who cannot afford retail. If my comments appeared to allude to that claim, I apologize.

Allow me to rectify my post for clarity:
MY friends that want to play XI, but cannot afford it are going to Horizon. Others (of my friends) can't justify paying SE given the lack of new content (when compared to other sub-based games like WoW) [and therefore are playing on Horizon or other MMORPGs].

{Of those few I've spoken to on the matter.}
"Are you dismissing my LIVED experience?!?!?"
- Twitter Senaki
[+]
By Zehira 2024-04-08 19:53:43  
Others (of my friends) can't justify paying SE given the lack of new content (when compared to other sub-based games like WoW)

My thoughts exactly. Just don't waste too much money for something you believe will never get like a new expansion. FFXIV is the only one under SE that will keep us informed.

People with 2-6 accounts who kept paying for years until the 20th anniversary had something to say:

Asura.Creole
user: Creole
By Asura.Creole 2024-04-08 21:46:57  
If you like COP with no new content/ no dual box or ability to solo anything worthwhile, horizon will be great for you.
By Homsar 2024-04-08 23:04:16  
I never claimed it is exclusively occupied by people who cannot afford retail. If my comments appeared to allude to that claim, I apologize.

You didn't, I was more making a jab at the shitposts primarily from Nynja and hoping that the people who keep falling for it maybe get a clue.

Asura.Creole said: »
If you like COP with no new content/ no dual box or ability to solo anything worthwhile, horizon will be great for you.

And if you like exploring purple rooms and monthly Ambuscade recycling, step on up to retail!
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
user: Vyrerus
By Asura.Vyre 2024-04-09 00:06:33  
*pops my head out of foggy death red catwalks*

You left out the jillion exp grind to ML50.

Which we've got golden crabs for now, too!
 Asura.Creole
By Asura.Creole 2024-04-09 01:53:03  
catseye is the best, live out your ffxi 75 dream, and get over it already
By Homsar 2024-04-09 02:09:35  
There's a sort of profound irony to an on-again-off-again multiboxer who pays mercs to do everything for them trying to crap on private servers.
 Odin.Senaki
By Odin.Senaki 2024-04-09 07:53:31  
Homsar said: »

[+]
By Dodik 2024-04-09 08:06:24  
Retail is just Sortie and Odyssey, no new content.

He says while grinding mobs for XP in Altepa for hours on a 75 cap server stuck in the past with nothing to do other than XP to 75.

Irony, have you heard of it?
[+]
 Asura.Creole
By Asura.Creole 2024-04-09 11:06:54  
Dedicating years to a private server that can be wiped away in an instant... nah
[+]
By Homsar 2024-04-09 11:47:51  
Dodik said: »
Retail is just Sortie and Odyssey, no new content.

He says while grinding mobs for XP in Altepa for hours on a 75 cap server stuck in the past with nothing to do other than XP to 75.

Irony, have you heard of it?

Enjoy the monthly updates to Ambuscade.

Dedicating years to a private server that can be wiped away in an instant... nah

I hate to tell you this, but there will come a time when you will be unable to access the characters that the various mercs you've paid have worked so hard on.
By Dodik 2024-04-09 13:20:15  
Can retail players just enjoy playing the game, or is that only allowed on private servers?

:rolls eyes:
By Homsar 2024-04-09 14:13:16  
Dodik said: »
Can retail players just enjoy playing the game

I don't know, can they?
 Asura.Creole
By Asura.Creole 2024-04-09 14:50:57  
play smarter not harder
By Homsar 2024-04-09 16:00:55  
play smarter not harder

Nothing says "smarter" quite like paying multiple subscription fees to have others play a game for you lol
By Dodik 2024-04-09 16:37:59  
Look, it's okay, we get it. It's daunting having to gear up from scratch in a game you don't know since you haven't played since 2008.

Even more daunting to have to be nice to people to get into groups so you can do content designed after 2009.

The easy way is to stay as you were back then, safe in the 75 cap you know well, in the slow *** game that was then with the same broken mechanics every one already knows, minus what changes the "devs" decide to make.

Have fun with that.
By Homsar 2024-04-09 17:16:54  
Is this the part where we pretend retail is actually challenging?
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9