Time to get a real job.
By jubes 2024-05-15 14:35:08  
happy birthday ffxi
 Bahamut.Mhysa
サーバ: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Nathoo
By Bahamut.Mhysa 2024-05-15 14:36:19  
Happy Birthday to the game that ruined my social life :) but gave me a husband, so yay?
 Fenrir.Niflheim
VIP
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Tesahade
By Fenrir.Niflheim 2024-05-15 14:47:06  
I wonder if it well ever finish these seemingly endless "death throws" people are always talking about.
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-05-15 15:04:50  
Death throes, FYI
By Draylo 2024-05-15 19:09:58  
Best game ever :))
By GwenStacy 2024-05-15 19:42:58  
i just started playing this year! best game ever!
[+]
 Bahamut.Suph
user: Suph
By Bahamut.Suph 2024-05-15 21:48:46  
Whenever someone turns 15, 22, 33 and i presume 45, 67 and 99, i'm reminded of this song

YouTube Video Placeholder

which came out like a month after i turned 16 lol.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Jessie
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2024-05-15 22:18:04  

With this livestream of FFXI's entire soundtrack pulling together fans from around the world, and announcements looking to the future discussing long-term goals, this 22nd anniversary feels like a bigger deal than the milestone 20th lol
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nynja
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-05-15 23:06:53  
Remember when I jokingly said Fujito worked solo the last 2 years on the 20th anniversary??
I'm starting to think I wasnt joking.
By Zehira 2024-05-15 23:37:22  
Carbuncle.Nynja said: »
Remember when I jokingly said Fujito worked solo the last 2 years on the 20th anniversary??
I'm starting to think I wasnt joking.

That dude is a millionaire. He is earning $100k+ a month from his slaves!
 Siren.Dekoda
サーバ: Siren
user: Dekoda
By Siren.Dekoda 2024-05-15 23:47:03  
Clever save to say the 22nd anniversary is a milestone because it is a multiple of 11. Gave himself 2 years to catch up.
[+]
By Draylo 2024-05-16 03:12:58  
Quote:
From the FINAL FANTASY XI Development Team
FINAL FANTASY XI is celebrating 22 years of service! (05/16/2024)
Good day, adventurers!
Fujito here. I'm the producer/director for FINAL FANTASY XI.

Thanks to all of you, FFXI welcomed its 22nd anniversary on May 16, 2024.
I would like to take this opportunity to convey the gratitude of everyone here for your help in making Vana'diel the wonderful place that it is. Thank you so much!

It has now been one year since we switched over to the new development structure for the game in Spring 2023. Although we have pared down the team size and cut back on the amount of new content offered, we have also made various systematic improvements and additions to the game that we had previously been unable to address, all with an emphasis on showing our appreciation for your support and expressing a love of all things FFXI. Outside of the game, we recently held a special exhibition, Treasures of Vana'diel, in both Tokyo and Osaka, and also had a dramatic reading event set in the world of FINAL FANTASY XI. I would also like to extend my heartfelt gratitude to all of the staff members who have supported the development and operations of FFXI, as well as their families.

As we celebrate 22 years of service, we plan to continue making adjustments and holding various promotions in support of the game.
These efforts include the topics we covered in the May 10th episode of Freshly Picked Vana'diel.
 - Adapting Besieged for higher levels
 - The ability to change your character's race
We are planning to implement these changes going forward.

In addition to the above, we also plan to make other adjustments based on the feedback we have received via the forums and from other venues. Even small improvements over time can combine to make the game much easier to control and more enjoyable. Therefore, we will do our best to make the most of such improvements, both large and small, while also making sure the game continues to run smoothly.

In other news, we'll be starting Round 2 of Vana'Bout from today, giving you another chance to work together with players from all of the game's Worlds! Starting with this round, we've prepared a dedicated Vana'Bout menu that is separate from the usual daily Records of Eminence objectives. We have also updated the objectives so that the range of content is as diverse as possible. Completing the objectives this time will result in a special bonus campaign for Odyssey, and also the opportunity to summon Cornelia's alter ego, so I hope everyone is able to achieve the objectives.

Whether you picture it as rolling snake eyes twice, or doubling up 11 to get 22, there are a variety of ways to express the game's 22nd Vana'versary. Thank you again for supporting FINAL FANTASY XI all these years, and we look forward to many more to come!

FINAL FANTASY XI Producer/Director
Yoji Fujito
By RadialArcana 2024-05-16 03:18:15  
They stated they are near final with the server upgrades too in the last live video, which they stated will set the game in good standing for the next 5 years.
[+]
 Odin.Senaki
サーバ: Odin
user: Senaki
By Odin.Senaki 2024-05-16 05:30:30  
Asura.Iamaman said: »
How many years is that in human years?

More importantly, how many is this in American?
By Ovalidal 2024-05-16 05:43:31  
I started playing this game 2 years ago now. I know that plenty of people on this forum are bitter about the way the game is currently being handled, but I think a lot of the vets have forgotten how special this game truly is. I've never been as immersed in a game's story, systems, and world as I have in FFXI. Maintenance Mode or not, this game is still something special.
[+]
 Asura.Iamaman
サーバ: Asura
user: iamaman
By Asura.Iamaman 2024-05-16 07:33:12  
Odin.Senaki said: »
Asura.Iamaman said: »
How many years is that in human years?

More importantly, how many is this in American?

We have an obesity problem and a bunch of Karens think vaccines let you listen to the radio by picking your nose, so I'd say 1 JP game year is like 3 human years is 3.23 American years.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Zeig
user: Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2024-05-16 12:30:42  
They've been livestreaming FFXI OST on the Square Enix Music Channel:
 Bahamut.Negan
user: Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2024-05-16 14:43:24  
Ovalidal said: »
I've never been as immersed in a game's story, systems, and world as I have in FFXI
No sarcasm/hate here, but have you played a lot of MMO's? Personally it's the gearswapping, min/maxing I liked the best, as well as the ppl that play. The stories are... ehh imo!

(make sure you notice that "imo" at the end. not tryna start no ***)
[+]
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2024-05-16 15:09:09  
I've never really given too much care over plot. Very rarely has any story told in any medium ever truly wowed me. Instead, it's the worlds and universal fantastical rules that can win me over. FFXI is unfathomably deep in its lore. And while it isn't infallible, it does a pretty darn good job of making use of the long-established history to tell its stories.

As a video game, I love that XI has me juggling many different resources at once. There's only so much far your gear and your pre-planning can take you, because there's so much randomness involved that you have to react to. I appreciate both the parts the developers chose to automate as well as the parts that are up to the player to input.

XI isn't my favourite game of all time, but it's the only MMORPG I can play. Nothing else feels to me like it needs to be a massively-multiplayer online experience. So when I crave that experience, I'll always gravitate towards XI.
[+]
 Bahamut.Negan
user: Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2024-05-16 15:24:46  
Ragnarok.Jessikah said: »
FFXI is unfathomably deep in its lore
I missed this somehow and need to replay I guess.
[+]
 Asura.Thunderjet
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Thunderjet 2024-05-16 15:26:04  
11 always was a special number for me
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2024-05-16 15:49:40  
Bahamut.Negan said: »
It just feels like nothing is there on accident. Like, they don't make something up and then try tying it into the backstory. They had the whole world and its history written first, and its story alludes to it.

The game spent a lot of time in pre-production. And on the website itself, you can read a lot of the history of Vana'diel. The cohesiveness of the world and its rules is probably what sparked the higher-ups to reconsider it as a numbered entry in the Final Fantasy series, after being so adamant that it would just be "Final Fantasy Online" for most of its development.
[+]
By Ovalidal 2024-05-16 16:04:05  

No sarcasm/hate here, but have you played a lot of MMO's? Personally it's the gearswapping, min/maxing I liked the best, as well as the ppl that play. The stories are... ehh imo!
(make sure you notice that "imo" at the end. not tryna start no ***)

It's all good, different people have different tastes. I will say though, I 100% agree with how intricate so much of the history and the world is. The way RoV in particular contextualize all of the previous stories, the differences between the Emptiness and the Void, the nuances in which worlds Atomos deems "fit for existence" and so on, I could go on. There is just so much to FFXI's world and setting that I could waste time writing about.

TBH I'm not much of an MMO guy. I've tried to get into a couple of other MMOs, but none have hooked me to the degree FFXI has. I've even bounced off FFXIV after being told that I'd love it. I'm sure I'd enjoy it if I really dedicate the time to get through more of it, but the way that game spoon feeds the lore and story was tough for me to get into. In FFXI, it feels like you're dropped into a really rich setting, and you're free to do anything you want in that world. I'm also really fond of how the game has kept so much gameplay content relevant for new players, but that's an entirely different conversation.
[+]
By Pantafernando 2024-05-17 03:03:15  
The stories are... ehh

What? Are you trying to start no ***?
First Page 2