New Games Suck... Or Is It Just Me?

Eorzea Time

言語: JP EN FR DE
日本語版のFFXIVPRO利用したい場合は、上記の"JP"を設定して、又はjp.ffxivpro.comを直接に利用してもいいです
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Chatterbox » New games suck... or is it just me?
New games suck... or is it just me?
First Page 2 3 ... 20 21
By Viciouss 2024-09-18 20:14:36  
Carbuncle.Nynja said: »
Clearly you didnt click the link and watch the video to see WHY the game is bad.

Maybe you should use your eyes and brain before going "KUHN-SPEEEEE-RAAA-SEEEEEEEEE", just a thought? I know that is a tall task for you, but I believe in you.

The video doesn't show anything that indicates "DEI" is the problem. It just shows a bad game that some random nobody put together for people like you. Breaking news, bad games are now bad because of "DEI" only. Nevermind all of the other factors that have contributed to games being bad for the last 30 years, it is only because of "DEI" now. If we got rid of the boogeyman, all games will be good from now on.

Just have to laugh and roll your eyes at these people.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nynja
サーバ: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-09-18 22:18:23  
Viciouss said: »
The video doesn't show anything that indicates "DEI" is the problem.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-09-19 00:13:35  
Can you even confirm that it is NOT the CEO of Saber making that comment?

I don't need to, you are the one claiming its him. Posting a screenshot, no less. Not even a verifiable link. Looks pretty sus to me. Why would the CEO of a gaming division casually try to create controversy? And why mention Wukong? Try to do your homework before posting your conspiracies.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/matthew-karch-145293/

I already know you're gonna say something like "well he didnt confirm its him, so stop posting your conspiracies". Even if its not him, he clearly supports the message.

Unless you're also gonna suggest the LinkedIn account isnt him either? For someone so up in arms about dismissing everything as a far-right maga chud conspiracy, you're looking very black there pot.
By Afania 2024-09-19 03:37:48  
Breaking news, bad games are now bad because of "DEI" only.

You are right. Game Dev is a mostly collaborative process that a LOT of party is involved. Sometimes you'll need somebody to test specific system and get feedback. Sometimes one specific system or a part of script doesn't work and you'll need external consultant. Sometimes you run out of fund and need emergency money from another investor....etc

And out of ALL the party involved, sometimes one of them just happened to have political ideology who may or may not want something in return. That's the reality of creative industry.

This collaborative process isn't new, it has been how it works since decades ago. And plenty of good game has been made using the same process. But now the anti-woke opinion is that if one party has left wing ideology, they shouldn't be involved, otherwise it's "game made by activitist and not for gamers" or "left wing invasion"....

Which is a silly claim anyways. Nobody had a problem with how the industry works 5 years ago or before and they have a problem with it NOW.

The whole thing is political movement to me, nothing more and nothing less.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-09-19 08:15:11  
Glitches that should be found by any standard playtester and patched before going gold:
YouTube Video Placeholder

Almost all of these are glitches that occur in normal gameplay (minus the waterfall)

These are recurring glitches that happen in normal gameplay.

Glitches that are not expected to be found through a normal playtest:

"hold guard and do a frame perfect forward motion"
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-09-19 08:40:57  
No game is gonna be bug free, but theres a stark difference between a game that is chock full of bugs easily discoverable through normal gameplay and a game that has a handful of bugs that require precision input outside of expected gameplay.
By Afania 2024-09-19 09:17:16  
No game is gonna be bug free, but theres a stark difference between a game that is chock full of bugs easily discoverable through normal gameplay and a game that has a handful of bugs that require precision input outside of expected gameplay

Yeah, sure, QA is important. But when influencer start saying "game has bugs because of DEI" instead of "game companies should put more resources on QA" that's when it gets hard to take what influencer said seriously lol.

And it's obvious why they said that too. The former statement farms rage traffic, the latter is repeating things everyone knows hence no traffic.
 Fenrir.Niflheim
VIP
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Tesahade
By Fenrir.Niflheim 2024-09-19 09:30:06  
A person stating "game has bugs because of DEI" might be doing so knowing "game companies should put more resources on QA". What can be inferred from the first statement is that the person believes resources were spent on DEI, such as hiring DEI consultants, which should have been spent on what they view as a more important activities, like QA.

I do feel like you are incapable of reading into anything and require it to be stated clearly with no ambiguity otherwise you will hopelessly miss the point.
 Asura.Eiryl
サーバ: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2024-09-19 09:35:40  
One cant read and the other doesn't primarily speak english.

Simply put, there's different layers of DEI. Context matters.

DEI staff hires, aren't DEI in the game. Separate problems. But both yelled about loudly by people looking for something to do.
[+]
By Afania 2024-09-19 10:00:06  
Fenrir.Niflheim said: »
I do feel like you are incapable of reading into anything and require it to be stated clearly with no ambiguity otherwise you will hopelessly miss the point.

That's because I don't like to make bold assumptions unless I have a very good reason to.

I see no reason to assume the lack of QA resources is because of DEI. Maybe the lack of resources happened because employees are lazy and took too many breaks, managers put money in their pocket, or CEO cut the QE budget for art department, there can be 100 reason.

I will only make confirmed statement on things I've seen.

If you want to argue baseless "dei caused QE budget cut!!!" I can do the same against a different department too.

I am going to say QA budgets are cut because Ubisoft hired too many lazy employees. For jobs that can be done with 1 person, Ubisoft has to hire 10. And that would be as legit as the claim from that video. But anyone with logic could see it is a biased statement.

So yeah, saying DEI hire cause QA budget cut is biased, period.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-09-19 10:00:21  
Asura.Eiryl said: »
DEI staff hires, aren't DEI in the game.
Of course the FFXI RMT whos operation goes to ***when EliteAPI.dll breaks would have such a stupid take.

Who do you think is building the game?

Afania said: »
I see no reason to assume the lack of QE resources is because of DEI. Maybe the lack of resources happened because employee is lazy, managers put money in their pocket, or CEO doesn't cut the QE budget for another department, there can be 100 reason.
There is no valid reason for most of those bugs being permitted to remain in game prior to going gold. Theres no way they were undiscovered because a lot of them show up from standard gameplay. Its either incompetence (we dont know how to fix the bugs), a lack of caring (we dont care to fix the bugs) or a lack of testing (let the players find the bugs after they've bought the game and we have their money), all of which warrant the game and company to be dragged and called out considering they're preaching it as a AAAA title.
 Fenrir.Niflheim
VIP
By Fenrir.Niflheim 2024-09-19 10:07:21  
That's because I don't like to make bold assumptions unless I have a very good reason to.

I am not saying you should believe this about DEI taking resources, just that you could have inferred what "influencers" meant by their statement. Inferring that is what they meant is not a bold assumption, if you really cared to prove the inference true or false you could always ask them to clarify.
By Afania 2024-09-19 10:07:27  
Asura.Eiryl said: »
One cant read and the other doesn't primarily speak english.

Simply put, there's different layers of DEI. Context matters.

DEI staff hires, aren't DEI in the game. Separate problems. But both yelled about loudly by people looking for something to do.

When you read too much, it becomes political conspiracy theory lol.

Meh, not gonna fall for it.
By Pantafernando 2024-09-19 10:08:33  
Im watching a course of “communication soft skills” offered by my company.

Its quite nice because it discuss topics like cognition, interpretation, non-verbal communication, strategy for communication, noise, etc.

Do recommend it for you (being “you” the person who just thought “me?”).
By Afania 2024-09-19 10:10:14  
There is no valid reason for most of those bugs being permitted to remain in game prior to going gold. Theres no way they were undiscovered because a lot of them show up from standard gameplay. Its either incompetence (we dont know how to fix the bugs), a lack of caring (we dont care to fix the bugs) or a lack of testing (let the players find the bugs after they've bought the game and we have their money), all of which warrant the game and company to be dragged and called out considering they're preaching it as a AAAA title.

I agree with this. I am only against the idea of the saying that bad product is because of DEI. This feels like targeting people's ideology rather than targeting production management.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-09-19 10:11:02  
I am going to say QA budgets are cut because Ubisoft hired too many lazy employees. For jobs that can be done with 1 person, Ubisoft has to hire 10. And that would be as legit as the claim from that video. But anyone with logic could see it is a biased statement.

Anyone else understand what he's saying here? Cause it sounds like he's saying DEI hires are bad. Instead of hiring 1 competent person, they hire 10 incompetent people just to do a shitty job.

Am I misunderstanding this?

Well based on the above post
I agree with this. I am only against the idea of the saying that bad product is because of DEI. This feels like targeting people's ideology rather than targeting production management.
I dont think I misunderstood, but I dont think Afania realized what he said, even though he's now doubled down on it.

He cant correlate why the diversity checkbox hires who built the shitty game are also the diversity checkbox hires responsible for finding all the bugs in the game.
By Afania 2024-09-19 10:14:40  

Anyone else understand what he's saying here? Cause it sounds like he's saying DEI hires are bad. Instead of hiring 1 competent person, they hire 10 incompetent people just to do a shitty job.

Am I misunderstanding this?

How does "hire 10 incompetent person instead of 1" in anyway relate to DEI lol.

It's more related to people wanting "work life balance" and work less, and less about diversity.
By Afania 2024-09-19 10:17:17  
even though he's now doubled down on it.

I didn't double down, more like you view everything with a political lens, a lens I don't have.

How does "hire tons of employees" ANY way related to DEI?

Your political lens is too thick if you immediately see "DEI" the moment I mention over hiring staff lol.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-09-19 10:19:28  
DEI = hiring people based on their ethnic background and/or sexual orientation and/or gender, opposed to hiring people based on merit.

You literally said
For jobs that can be done with 1 person, Ubisoft has to hire 10.
What did you mean by this? You threw in "work life balance", so one person works 40 hours per week, on average. Hiring 10 people for that one persons job means those 10 people only work 4 hours per week for "work life balance"?

Why is a company hiring TEN people to do the job for one person??
 Fenrir.Niflheim
VIP
By Fenrir.Niflheim 2024-09-19 10:22:04  
How does "hire tons of employees" ANY way related to DEI?

DEI as a hiring practice, to those who dislike it, means maintaining a ratio of each gender, race, etc. that properly represents the minority of the given groups.

This hiring practice is believed to result in hiring people that fit the desired ratios rather than for their actual skill at the job. since you hire lower skilled individuals you require more employees to do the task

This is a pretty well understood stance by these people, that fact that you do not understand that is why they draw the correlation means you have not been listening to them at all.
By Afania 2024-09-19 10:25:42  
What did you mean by this? You threw in "work life balance", so one person works 40 hours per week, on average. Hiring 10 people for that one persons job means those 10 people only work 4 hours per week for "work life balance"?

They work 40 hours per week, on average, and spend 2 months(rumor from a friend from Ubisoft) on an piece of asset that could be done in 1-3 weeks.

Oh and btw, Chinese workers typically work 50-60 hr a week. So they made Wukong with 1/3 of budget of a western AAA game because everybody simply worked more than western companies, hence projects spend less.

When I said Ubisoft overthired I wasn't implying DEI, I was implying they have a more relaxed working environment lol. Idk HOW you immediately see DEI in everything I said.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-09-19 10:27:01  
spend 2 months(rumor from a friend from Ubisoft) on an piece of asset that could be done in 1-3 weeks.
THAT IS NOT A GOOD THING LMAO
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-09-19 10:28:22  
Guy really said "they have 10x the staff bloat and take 3-8x longer to complete a task" like its a good thing.

This is what hiring 10x the necessary staff just to take 3-8x longer to complete a task looks like:
By Afania 2024-09-19 10:32:26  
Fenrir.Niflheim said: »
This is a pretty well understood stance by these people, that fact that you do not understand that is why they draw the correlation means you have not been listening to them at all.

I read them, but I don't believe in them.
By Afania 2024-09-19 10:34:33  
good thing

Where did you read that I said it is a good thing lol. I was literally saying work-life balance mentality in employees hurts productivity as a result.

Are you Radial using Nynja's account? Why do you keep reading things that I never said lol.

I see no reason to assume the lack of QA resources is because of DEI. Maybe the lack of QA resources happened because employees are lazy and took too many breaks, managers put money in their pocket, or CEO cut the QE budget for art department, there can be 100 reason.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-09-19 10:38:58  
Hiring 10 incompetent workers to do a job in 8 weeks that a single competent person can do in 1-3 weeks has nothing to do with work-life balance.

Thats the DEI rot moving up in the ranks to managerial positions.

Replace Twitter with Ubisoft

(she got fired, its a mystery why)
By Afania 2024-09-19 10:44:58  
Hiring 10 incompetent workers to do a job in 8 weeks that a single competent person can do in 1-3 weeks has nothing to do with work-life balance.

Yes it is. Because people work slowly and want more vacations.
So employers have to hire more people to do the same job.

You said "work 40 hours a week on average", Chinese tech industry worked WAY more than that. Google "996 schedule" in China, it's common that Chinese tech industry works 6 days a week from 9 am to 9pm.

That's why they made Wukong with 60m budget when other western AAA games need 200m-300m budget or more. Because one employee did more work.

I am not saying people overwork is a good thing. I only said it is part of the reason why Western games cost so much compare with Asia, and MAYBE that's reason behind why QA department budgets are cut.

Speculation of course, but that's what those influencer did. I am only doing the same thing.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-09-19 10:47:47  
My guy, theres a massive *** difference between:
1 person spending ~two weeks to complete a task
and
"ensuring a healthy work life balance" by having TEN PEOPLE take eight weeks to complete the same task.

Even if the one person is working 72 hours a week (12 hours a day, 6 days), thats a total of 144 man hours on the task.

Having ten people who only work 20 hours a week (which is not even considered full time employment), thats already 200 man hours spent. In the first week. Of eight weeks. 1600 manhours for the same task.

If the one person worked 32 hours a week (8 days 4 days a week, a very healthy work life balance), they would complete that task in 4 1/2 weeks. They would probably get it done in 4 weeks since there are multiple studies showing that productivity declines as the day goes longer, so they would be working at peak efficiency for a greater period of those working hours.

Everything you have stated on this topic has nothing to do with "healthy work life balance", that is absolutely horrible mismanagement. That is straight up incompetence.
By Afania 2024-09-19 11:03:50  

Thats not "healthy work life balance", that is absolutely horrible mismanagement.

Well, employees did voted Ubisoft as No.13 best employer in Canada, this is easily googled.

"Mismanagement" or not, staffs are enjoying life at work, that much is known.

Star wars outlaw has like 600 developers according to google, and Assassin's creed Valhalla has 15 studios working on it(one article said 1000 staff total in AC:V but I can't confirm). While Wukong is made by only 140 people.

I think it's pretty obvious that Ubisoft games use more man power than other AAA products in the market, while game science uses way less. Those has an effect on the budget and return of investment.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-09-19 11:18:31  
Well, employees did voted Ubisoft as No.13 best employer in Canada, this is easily googled.

"Mismanagement" or not, staffs are enjoying life at work, that much is known.

"I'm paid 6 digits salary to work 10 hours a week, Ubisoft is a great company".

Star wars outlaw has like 600 developers according to google, and Assassin's creed Valhalla has 15 studios working on it(one article said 1000 staff total in AC:V but I can't confirm). While Wukong is made by only 140 people.
You ever heard the term "too many cooks in the kitchen"?
First Page 2 3 ... 20 21