New Games Suck... Or Is It Just Me?

Eorzea Time

言語: JP EN FR DE
日本語版のFFXIVPRO利用したい場合は、上記の"JP"を設定して、又はjp.ffxivpro.comを直接に利用してもいいです
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Chatterbox » New games suck... or is it just me?
New games suck... or is it just me?
First Page 2 3 4 ... 18 19 20
By Pantafernando 2024-09-05 16:34:03  
Yeaahh.

Thats the fight I want.

Show me some blood, boyz

Carbuncle.Nynja
サーバ: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-09-05 16:57:23  
I only fight on twitter, sorry.

By Pantafernando 2024-09-05 16:59:24  
Your little brother disagrees
 Bismarck.Nickeny
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2024-09-05 17:01:29  
Modern audience sounds more like let's make a terrible game, have our corporate video gaymer reporters shove hundreds of articles about how toxic gamers ruined games just to wait 20 years and be like "this was a classic that wasn't received well because people was buzz words back then".

Or I'm a bigot...

I'm leaning towards bigot...
[+]
By SimonSes 2024-09-05 17:44:39  
RadialArcana said: »
SimonSes said: »
Starfield

the sad part about Starfield being so bad is you know es6 is gonna be just as bad, with assets made in indian sweat shops and constant woke bs.

I haven't wrote anything about Starfield XD
By SimonSes 2024-09-05 17:49:35  
Carbuncle.Nynja said: »
Afania said: »
I also only buy games during sales
Fun fact: You're no better than the pirates if you're waiting 2 years to buy fully finished games at 75% off. At that point, the people looking at the financials have deemed whatever they were selling a bust. I'm sure your moral compass is satisfied though.

That must be a bait right?
[+]
By Draylo 2024-09-05 17:53:10  
A lot of the games feel almost like they are the same. It's like they all copy each other these days because its what's popular. I find myself playing a lot of older games and occasionally remakes but not much new stuff. There were some gems over the last decade, but not like it used to be.

I find myself feeling this way about movies/series too a lot of the times. They all are trying that quippy marvel humor and copying each other all the time. The forced modern crap they shove into everything now. Maybe it is part of all of us getting older, but I liked the older stuff better. Even remakes and decades later sequels are falling flat for most franchises. There is always a gem here and there, but I wonder if previous generations felt that way about stuff we all loved as kids. I personally think its more the forced politics being thrown into everything, for movies at least. Games take a lot more effort in being made and having worlds created around them, so maybe because theres such a push for the best graphics they are starting to cut corners wherever they can.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-09-05 18:19:11  
Fun fact: You're no better than the pirates if you're waiting 2 years to buy fully finished games at 75% off. At that point, the people looking at the financials have deemed whatever they were selling a bust. I'm sure your moral compass is satisfied though.

You really think any sales of a game two years after release because its 75% off means anything? Go look up why there is no Days Gone 2, when Days Gone sold over 7.3 million copies. Hint: it supposedly has to do with shitty initial sales and review bombs (albeit the game was a buggy mess on release).
 Phoenix.Iocus
サーバ: Phoenix
user: androwe
By Phoenix.Iocus 2024-09-05 23:01:04  
Draylo said: »
A lot of the games feel almost like they are the same. It's like they all copy each other these days because its what's popular. I find myself playing a lot of older games and occasionally remakes but not much new stuff. There were some gems over the last decade, but not like it used to be.

I find myself feeling this way about movies/series too a lot of the times. They all are trying that quippy marvel humor and copying each other all the time. The forced modern crap they shove into everything now. Maybe it is part of all of us getting older, but I liked the older stuff better. Even remakes and decades later sequels are falling flat for most franchises. There is always a gem here and there, but I wonder if previous generations felt that way about stuff we all loved as kids. I personally think its more the forced politics being thrown into everything, for movies at least. Games take a lot more effort in being made and having worlds created around them, so maybe because theres such a push for the best graphics they are starting to cut corners wherever they can.

The dynamics of game consumption was different when we were kids. You didn't have as much money but you had more time. This meant you had a much larger tolerance for wading through mediocre games to get to good ones because you weren't getting a new one soon. You just had to make due with what you had.

This meant some of us spent a lot more time researching what games were coming out so you didn't buy a lot of stinkers with advertising budgets. I'm very negligent of my game research presently. I'd rather avoid spoilers and spend my time trying out a demo than watching more than 1 or 2 videos ahead of time.

Now, if I'm playing a game and it's not worth my time, I just stop playing. I've already wasted my money, why also waste my time? When I was a kid, I would at least power through a game to beat it at least once unless it was utter garbage because I had nothing better to do. That means I knew how good games actually were.

I think a part of the issue of 'most games suck now' is that we can afford to discard mediocre games or games that don't suit our interests and so we fail to see any of the value they may have possessed. It's very easy for pessimism to flourish when you can afford to cut your losses.

Definitely not the only issue
[+]
 Asura.Thunderjet
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Thunderjet 2024-09-05 23:20:13  
its true boys its true new games suck,
By SimonSes 2024-09-06 01:58:19  
You really think any sales of a game two years after release because its 75% off means anything? Go look up why there is no Days Gone 2, when Days Gone sold over 7.3 million copies. Hint: it supposedly has to do with shitty initial sales and review bombs (albeit the game was a buggy mess on release).

So what?
Some people don't value some games enough to buy for full price or simply aren't rich enough to buy full priced games, so they wouldn't buy it for full price either way. They still don't want to steal it, but patiently wait to buy it in legal way for cheaper price and you call them thefts? I really want to use stronger words towards you right now, but I like to have access to this forum, so I will just say, that your entitlement is off the charts.
By SimonSes 2024-09-06 02:36:23  
I just got this video recommended by YouTube. Seems very relevant :)

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
By Afania 2024-09-06 02:50:33  

That's your moral, not mine w.

Fun fact: You're no better than the pirates if you're waiting 2 years to buy fully finished games at 75% off. At that point, the people looking at the financials have deemed whatever they were
selling a bust. I'm sure your moral compass is satisfied though.

You really think any sales of a game two years after release because its 75% off means anything?

Yes.

Also game dev made the decision to 75% off, not the buyer. Which makes it different from pirate morally.

Edit: idk if this post is troll bait or serious. But I'll respond anyways: any business will separate "initial sale" and "the long tail" when it comes to selling a single player game. Just because a game sold at -75%, doesn't mean the revenue disappear on the financial statement. Therefore of course they matter. Small revenue is still revenue.
[+]
By Afania 2024-09-06 03:07:53  

So what?
Some people don't value some games enough to buy for full price or simply aren't rich enough to buy full priced games, so they wouldn't buy it for full price either way. They still don't want to steal it, but patiently wait to buy it in legal way for cheaper price and you call them thefts? I really want to use stronger words towards you right now, but I like to have access to this forum, so I will just say, that your entitlement is off the charts.

The reason why I wait isn't because I can't afford a game, but because I have like 30 games on my backlog. And I only play 1hr of video game a day. So it's gonna take 2.5 years to even finish all my backlog for any new games at all.

Then by that time price already dropped.

That's how I ended up never buying new games because my backlog never disappear nor even become smaller.

Saying waiting for a sale is stealing is just silly lol. Game dev can choose to never drop the price too, but they choose to. That makes it not stealing logically.
[+]
By SimonSes 2024-09-06 03:16:43  
The reason why I wait isn't because I can't afford a game, but because I have like 30 games on my backlog. And I only play 1hr of video game a day. So it's gonna take 2.5 years to even finish all my backlog for any new games at all.

Then by that time price already dropped.

That's how I ended up never buying new games because my backlog never disappear nor even become smaller.

Yeah, there might be many valid reasons. Whichever it is, buying on sales is nothing like pirating the game, especially from moral point of view. I'm not gonna follow this discussion anymore though, because like I previously said, I like the forum access.
[+]
By Afania 2024-09-06 03:37:28  
I think I found a good book for Nynja about this issue:

The Long Tail: Why the Future of Business Is Selling Less of More by Chris Anderson,

https://www.amazon.com/Long-Tail-Future-Business-Selling/dp/1401302378

Plenty of game companies utilize long tail sale to generate more revenue. One of the best example is Ubisoft. Their games are often on deep discount really early, so they can increase userbase and sell in-game purchase item instead. Afaik a very large portion of Ubisoft revenue came from their in-game purchase.

Therefore games sold at a discount absolutely matters. In fact it's part of business strategy.
[+]
By SimonSes 2024-09-06 03:46:05  
I think I found a good book for Nynja about this issue:

The Long Tail: Why the Future of Business Is Selling Less of More by Chris Anderson,

https://www.amazon.com/Long-Tail-Future-Business-Selling/dp/1401302378

The fact, that this book is at -60% price is hilarious :D
[+]
By Afania 2024-09-06 05:05:27  
Honestly, if someone can purchase a game at full price, that should be encouraged anyways. It's better growth for the job market if game companies don't need to undercut the price to survive.

I only disagree with the saying that discount purchase=stealing or irrelevant. That's all. If someone has such moral, that's their moral, not mine. I don't follow other people's moral on decision making.
[+]
By SimonSes 2024-09-06 05:33:46  
Honestly, if someone can purchase a game at full price, that should be encouraged anyways. It's better growth for the job market if game companies don't need to undercut the price to survive.

I only disagree with the saying that discount purchase=stealing or irrelevant. That's all. If someone has such moral, that's their moral, not mine. I don't follow other people's moral on decision making.

Yeah, I for example frequently buy skins in Predecessor for more than AAA game price, because I want to support the studio. If you wan to support some company, because you enjoy their games and want more of it, then for sure go ahead and buy even ultra deluxe editions. It's your free will. Saying you should only buy full priced game or you are a thief is ridiculous though.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-09-06 08:14:54  
I like how your only rebuttal was to threaten me with personal attacks and not refute the point I made that buying games two years after release at 75% off means jack ***to the publisher in regards to the success of the game.
By Dodik 2024-09-06 08:19:06  
I am sure those multi million dollar companies are very grateful for the cash shop purchase of cosmetic BS that people buy to "support" said multi million dollar company.

I am also sure the proliferation of cash shops has nothing to do with.. clever.. people buying cosmetic skins with their disposable income.

Feel free to report any "theft" you see to the police, I am sure they are interested in your downloaded games. Right after they stop laughing.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-09-06 08:23:03  
Plenty of game companies utilize long tail sale to generate more revenue. One of the best example is Ubisoft. Their games are often on deep discount really early, so they can increase userbase and sell in-game purchase item instead. Afaik a very large portion of Ubisoft revenue came from their in-game purchase.
Ubisoft?
This Ubisoft?

Yeah, they're doing great.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-09-06 08:26:50  
Saying you should only buy full priced game or you are a thief is ridiculous though.
For someone who threatened me with personal attacks because they had nothing good to say, you're very good at making up things I never said.

You're no better than the pirates if you're waiting 2 years to buy fully finished games at 75% off. At that point, the people looking at the financials have deemed whatever they were selling a bust. I'm sure your moral compass is satisfied though.

Where in there does it say anything akin to "if you dont buy the full price game, you are a thief"? I very clearly laid out exactly why buying a game on massive discount two years after release is no better than pirating a game.
By Afania 2024-09-06 08:31:30  
I like how your only rebuttal was to threaten me with personal attacks and not refute the point I made that buying games two years after release at 75% off means jack ***to the publisher in regards to the success of the game.

I didn't "threaten" you with personal attack. I only asked if the above post is baiting, and I still addressed the point like it's not baiting.

What else did I say that's personal attack?

I made that buying games two years after release at 75% off means jack ***to the publisher in regards to the success of the game.

If you made a point that a game's initial sale has higher impact than subsequent sales most of the time, I probably would agree with you. Because this statement is likely true.

You said subsequent sales doesn't mean anything. This statement is far more extreme. That's where the disagreement came from.

Don't make extreme statements, leave some space for other possibilities that may exist, then you're less likely to face people questioning the statement.

Dodik said: »
I am sure those multi million dollar companies are very grateful for the cash shop purchase of cosmetic BS that people buy to "support" said multi million dollar company.

No, not just "multi million dollar company", but anyone who cared about the single player game industry growth.

Chinese gaming community has been pushing "no piracy" for 2 decades, and Wukong's 18m sale was the result of this movement. If such movement wasn't being pushed they will never be able to make a single player game this successful.

Anyone that care about the industry growth will be happy to support such movement.
By Afania 2024-09-06 08:36:54  
Ubisoft?
This Ubisoft?

I didn't say "UBISOFT was doing great", I said "a good portion of UBI's profit came from in-app purchases".

Stop putting words in my mouth.
By Afania 2024-09-06 08:42:05  
Where in there does it say anything akin to "if you dont buy the full price game, you are a thief"? I very clearly laid out exactly why buying a game on massive discount two years after release is no better than pirating a game

Do the math, lol.

If you pirate a game = developers made $0

If you wait for a 75% sale for a $70 game, developers made $12.25 after Steam fee, possibly around $10 after tax and transfer fee.

$10>$0.

Saying buying it at sale is no better than pirating is exaggerating. Any small amount of money still > 0
 Shiva.Thorny
サーバ: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2024-09-06 08:44:02  
I think there's probably some sort of argument to be made about a pirate playing day5 being more valuable than someone who bought the game 2 years later. Hitting critical success requires a snowball effect from people playing and talking about the game, and it's likely pirates are contributing meaningfully to that when a game is cracked quickly. Pirates are typically more active online, since there's an implied higher degree of technical know-how and willingness to troubleshoot.

Personally, I buy my games because I've experienced too much wasted time troubleshooting bugs from bad cracks(especially denuvo games) in the past. I'd rather pay for the game than spend the potential troubleshooting time. I pirate some movies and tv. I pay for crunchyroll because it is convenient and a meaningful proportion of the content they produce isn't blatant brainwashing. I don't pay for Netflix because for every show worth watching they make, they put out 8 blatant brainwashing woke shitpiles, and I don't want my money to support that. I'd pay for it otherwise, because it's convenient.

I don't really think it's relevant to the topic (or in general), though. People who pirate are going to continue doing so, and in most cases they weren't going to buy the game regardless. People who wait for sales will wait for sales. Nobody is sitting there reevaluating their whole ethos on the basis of hurting or helping game developers(hopefully). The conversation is old and stale.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-09-06 08:45:10  
Threats of personal attacks with zero rebuttal to what I wrote. Sorry I was still in bed and selective quoting on mobile sucks.

You said subsequent sales doesn't mean anything. This statement is far more extreme. That's where the disagreement came from.
Excuse me? Once again people not reading what I wrote and making words up in their head, or in this case cherry picking specific words and leaving out the rest.
I literally said:
You're no better than the pirates if you're waiting 2 years to buy fully finished games at 75% off. At that point, the people looking at the financials have deemed whatever they were selling a bust. I'm sure your moral compass is satisfied though.
I quoted the entire post but bolded the part that you're implying I said "doesnt mean anything". Those sales "don't mean anything" in regards to the success of the release.

You publish a game and these are your sales numbers after 3 years:
10 thousand at full price in the first 4 months
50 thousand at 50% off in months 4-18
200 thousand at 75% off in months 18-present
These are made up numbers, I'm not digging into sales histories of games that were late bloomers to get factual stuff.

Is this a successful release to you?
By SimonSes 2024-09-06 08:49:32  
Where in there does it say anything akin to "if you dont buy the full price game, you are a thief"? I very clearly laid out exactly why buying a game on massive discount two years after release is no better than pirating a game.

Stop playing. You put = sign between buying game on sale and pirating it. You also brings up morality in the same comment in the sarcastic tone. I'm not gonna interact with you anymore, because you clearly baiting right now.

Also I haven't threaten you with any personal attack. I said I won't use "stronger words", even when I would like to. Saying I won't do something is exactly opposite to saying I might do something, which would then be a threatening.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-09-06 08:51:48  
Ubisoft?
This Ubisoft?
[i-mg]https://i.imgur.com/AR9Dl32.jpeg[/img]

I didn't say "UBISOFT was doing great", I said "a good portion of UBI's profit came from in-app purchases".

Stop putting words in my mouth.
I'm not putting words in your mouth.
What?
You literally brought Ubisoft and referenced their "long tail sale to generate more revenue".

Why would you bring up Ubisoft and their business strategy in this current discussion if you didnt think they were doing great?
First Page 2 3 4 ... 18 19 20