users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Valefor » In the Name of Science
In the Name of Science
 Ramuh.Lilbusta
サーバ: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: phatspade
By Ramuh.Lilbusta 2009-11-13 12:12:07  
Isn't the Obi's mainly for sea/sky type of EG? Kinda used to assist with ele skill for landing more dmg from spells?
 Ramuh.Dasva
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-13 12:14:54  
Ramuh.Lilbusta said:
Isn't the Obi's mainly for sea/sky type of EG? Kinda used to assist with ele skill for landing more dmg from spells?
Not sure what your asking but a free +10% dmg for nuking element of the that day or weather or 25% for double weather or add them together if you have both is almost never something to frown upon if you can do it. I mean sure there's a small chance it will proc anyways and then another small chance it will fully proc but why not make it 100% 100% of the time?
 Valefor.Ellise
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Ellise 2009-11-13 12:18:18  
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Valefor.Ellise said:
With regards to the Obi(s). To your understanding, are they used strictly with elemental type spells or for enfeebling spells as well? For resistance purposes, would you continue to use INT belts such as Ocean Rope or Witch Sash or would you run with an obi for the corresponding element/spell type? Thanks again everyone.
I'd never use oceans rope But yes witch sash is nice if your running into resistance issues. Or even relic. Also I wouldn't enfeeble with it. though really the dmg added by that would certainly outweigh other slots dmg you could add more skill/macc too

I understand. I am still saving up for a Witch Sash so I have to use an Ocean Rope for the time being. So keep with the sash for enfeebling spells and use the obi(s) for elemental magic?
 Odin.Aramina
サーバ: Odin
user: Darkmoose
By Odin.Aramina 2009-11-13 12:31:23  
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Odin.Aramina said:
Anrin Obi is a must if you're going to go BLM for Dynamis or Limbus (Apollyon). Drains for 400 in Dynamis and Aspir for 150-160 normal in there (that's with Dark Skill set and Pluto staff, but still...)
Can do that without obi with even just an ok dark skill set really.

I guess you could hit the numbers sometimes, but with the Obi it's very consistently high. I think my high spike on Drain was 450ish, and 190something on Aspir, but that was in Dynamis on Darksday.

For the other question about the Obis, they give you full benefit of the day/weather bonuses, so for a BLM, you should probably shoot to have at least Dark, Ice, Thunder as a minimum. Having all 8 is great, but those are probably the most important ones for a BLM.

The strategy I used was that I put them in my Mog Satchel if day/weather weren't right. Since gear won't swap from Satchel, I'd stay in Penitent's Rope in that case.

A SCH or SMN should ideally have all 8, while a WHM would probably only care about Light (which is very nice for Nyzul and Temenos, since they are full time light weather).
 Siren.Enternius
サーバ: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-11-13 12:36:20  
Why would a SMN ever use any?
 Valefor.Ellise
By Valefor.Ellise 2009-11-13 12:40:18  
Siren.Enternius said:

A honest mistake no doubt, these Obi(s) do not offer the weather effects that would aid avatar perpetuation.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-13 12:40:46  
Siren.Enternius said:
Smn wouldn't... I guess maybe for when they cure... idk thats just crazy talk
 Fairy.Tbest
サーバ: Fairy
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-11-13 12:41:42  
I got a Korin for my Summoner when I'm on it in Temenos.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-13 12:41:43  
Valefor.Ellise said:
Siren.Enternius said:
A honest mistake no doubt, these Obi(s) do not offer the weather effects that would aid avatar perpetuation.
Lol no ***they don't actually cause weather/day they just take advantage of them. Just like smn af/relic does
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-13 12:43:54  
Valefor.Ellise said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Valefor.Ellise said:
With regards to the Obi(s). To your understanding, are they used strictly with elemental type spells or for enfeebling spells as well? For resistance purposes, would you continue to use INT belts such as Ocean Rope or Witch Sash or would you run with an obi for the corresponding element/spell type? Thanks again everyone.
I'd never use oceans rope But yes witch sash is nice if your running into resistance issues. Or even relic. Also I wouldn't enfeeble with it. though really the dmg added by that would certainly outweigh other slots dmg you could add more skill/macc too
I understand. I am still saving up for a Witch Sash so I have to use an Ocean Rope for the time being. So keep with the sash for enfeebling spells and use the obi(s) for elemental magic?
Pentintents is cheap and still better.
Odin.Aramina said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Odin.Aramina said:
Anrin Obi is a must if you're going to go BLM for Dynamis or Limbus (Apollyon). Drains for 400 in Dynamis and Aspir for 150-160 normal in there (that's with Dark Skill set and Pluto staff, but still...)
Can do that without obi with even just an ok dark skill set really.
I guess you could hit the numbers sometimes, but with the Obi it's very consistently high. I think my high spike on Drain was 450ish, and 190something on Aspir, but that was in Dynamis on Darksday.
Actually I can hit those numbers without the obi.
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-11-13 12:52:43  
Valefor.Ellise said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Valefor.Ellise said:

*Nods.* Penitent's is great. And tbh... Witch Sash is really overrated for what it costs.
Obi's are GREAT for anything of that element if you're on that day / weather and they're even better if you have a sch friend. Remember, you get 10% magic attack and 10% magic accuracy for just matching the day or single weather. That increases to 20/25/35 %'s if you match more.
 Valefor.Ellise
By Valefor.Ellise 2009-11-13 12:55:00  
Thank you for your input friends. I will see what my chances are to obtain a Penitent's Rope in the near future.

Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-11-13 12:57:47  
Mmhmm. My pleasure. =)
 Odin.Aramina
By Odin.Aramina 2009-11-13 13:13:25  
Who knows why for SMN, just know that for some reason at least one SMN I know was determined to have them all. He did eventually level SCH, but this was WAY before he did that.

Perhaps he thought there was some hidden -perp or something.

Maybe one of you folks with SMN that high can verify/deny that possibility, or maybe he thought he got better effects when using the avatar of the day with the obi equipped? Either way, if there does happen to be some use for them on SMN, I'm not personally sure what it is, nor can I test it out.

As far as SCH, that's quite simple, since they can make their own weather.

My point on the Anrin Obi in Dynamis is that you can consistently hit those numbers because of the bonus being always in effect. You can certainly get the bonus numbers a noticeable amount without them in double weather, especially on Darksday, but with the Obi you get them all the time. I used to love to Drain statues and watch a huge chunk drop off their HP for just 21 MP.
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-11-13 13:14:14  
There's no point in having them for Summoner, end of story.
 Odin.Aramina
By Odin.Aramina 2009-11-13 13:17:29  
Decoration?

I'll trust you on it, like I said, maybe it was just his excuse to go solo in Sea or something, but he was dead serious about getting them and spent a ton of time to do it. He leveled SCH a long time later, so either way it ended up being time well spent for him, but apparently not for his SMN.

Sorry for the curveball.
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-11-13 13:18:26  
I do enjoy having the obis for my Rdm/Blm though. Just never had the need to get anything beyond Korin for my Smn/Whm.
 Odin.Aramina
By Odin.Aramina 2009-11-13 13:36:57  
Guess this one is a question of a sort, but my understanding of the Obi function is that they are M.Acc as well as a damage boost when they are in day/weather phase.

I know that I used my Anrin in Dynamis with my Sleep/Sleepga macros and probably had by far the least resist issues, especially on those pesky Paladins. I'd pretty much swap in full Enfeebling Skill setup, but Anrin Obi for the waist.

Does that sound right to people who have used them? Maybe it was a placebo effect, or maybe it was me having Pluto when a lot of other people had Dark, but I remember countless times where I was the only one that could land Sleep.

Also of note, because of the great Drain/Aspirs in Dynamis, I used a tad more Fast Cast and Haste with them in there than I otherwise would have. For example, I think I used Turban, Rostrum, Loquacious for them where I didn't have Dark Skill. Been a long time and I'm pretty much retired now, but does that sound "right" to people?

To the OP, happy hunting and bring a friend with TH if you can. Even if it's just a TH3 Thief to launch one bolt at the enemy. It definitely makes it less boring.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-13 19:17:31  
Odin.Aramina said:
Guess this one is a question of a sort, but my understanding of the Obi function is that they are M.Acc as well as a damage boost when they are in day/weather phase. I know that I used my Anrin in Dynamis with my Sleep/Sleepga macros and probably had by far the least resist issues, especially on those pesky Paladins. I'd pretty much swap in full Enfeebling Skill setup, but Anrin Obi for the waist. Does that sound right to people who have used them? Maybe it was a placebo effect, or maybe it was me having Pluto when a lot of other people had Dark, but I remember countless times where I was the only one that could land Sleep. Also of note, because of the great Drain/Aspirs in Dynamis, I used a tad more Fast Cast and Haste with them in there than I otherwise would have. For example, I think I used Turban, Rostrum, Loquacious for them where I didn't have Dark Skill. Been a long time and I'm pretty much retired now, but does that sound "right" to people? To the OP, happy hunting and bring a friend with TH if you can. Even if it's just a TH3 Thief to launch one bolt at the enemy. It definitely makes it less boring.
Well as far as I can tell only things that that say enhance drain/aspir dark skill and maybe macc and of course staffs and Y scyth effects drain/aspir so gearing mostly in haste/fast cast otherwise is good. As far as macc wiki says maybe and yes and no I think depending on what page your on lol if that means anything and having had my rairin and ... er hyorin for awhile I've noticed more resist wearing it than wearing my Prope/witch sash.
 Odin.Aramina
By Odin.Aramina 2009-11-14 04:24:02  
Yeah, they don't enhance dark skill, just give the the full day/weather bonus to dark-element based magic (yay, my warp and tractor get a bonus! ... j/k) when in phase.

If they do, in fact, give a sizable Magic Accuracy bonus, then it would explain the ability to land Sleep better in Dynamis over other BLMs with more INT, more Merits, and similar gear. If anyone has actually done empirical tests (well, as close as you can with FF) and has decent sample sizes, I'd be interested to see the results.

As for Drain/Aspir, my feeling is not that it's anything more than the percentage bonus that you'd get on any other spell, although the M.Acc would help explain the high consistency.

Of course, in Dynamis, it's not like the mobs resist a lot (well, except in cases where it's a mob trait, like those Effing PLD and their Resist Sleep).
 Valefor.Ellise
By Valefor.Ellise 2009-11-15 18:27:52  
Update:

With the help of some friends, I was able to earn a Relaxing Earring. This should help out a bit with recovering lost mp with multiple jobs.

Moving onto Obi(s)^^
 Caitsith.Blurr
サーバ: Caitsith
user: blurr69
By Caitsith.Blurr 2009-11-15 18:49:21  
Fairy.Tbest said:
There's no point in having them for Summoner, end of story.

anrin for smn/sch drain/aspir.
 Valefor.Ellise
By Valefor.Ellise 2009-11-16 21:20:22  
bump - Sorry still trying to find people who are interested.
 Odin.Aramina
By Odin.Aramina 2009-11-16 21:38:05  
COngrats on the Earring!
 Valefor.Ellise
By Valefor.Ellise 2009-11-17 22:38:10  
Odin.Aramina said:
COngrats on the Earring!

Thanks a lot Aramina!
 Valefor.Ellise
By Valefor.Ellise 2009-11-24 13:21:58  
Thanks for the great advice! I think I might have enough organs for an Hyorin Obi... (I accidentally turned in a White Chip instead of a Clear Chip so I ended up with a Korin Obi for my first one.

Oh well 1/8 and moving forward! Thanks for your support everyone!
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-11-24 13:26:17  
Korin's still good for some things. Healing with Aurorastorm or healing in Temenos as well. =)
 Valefor.Ellise
By Valefor.Ellise 2009-11-24 17:54:30  
Fairy.Tbest said:
Korin's still good for some things. Healing with Aurorastorm or healing in Temenos as well. =)

Yes! Funny that you brought this up. It did help a lot with WoTG: mission25. We low man'd this and just barely had enough MP. Curing with SCH and WHM took this to the limit.
 Valefor.Ellise
By Valefor.Ellise 2009-12-01 12:39:47  
2 more Obi and I'm all done ^^ So much farming >.>

Valefor.Ellise
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-12-01 12:43:09  
Valefor.Ellise said:
Fairy.Tbest said:

Yes! Funny that you brought this up. It did help a lot with WoTG: mission25. We low man'd this and just barely had enough MP. Curing with SCH and WHM took this to the limit.
Hehe. It sure is nice to get a guaranteed 10%+ more HP on all of your cures.

Congratulations on all of the obis you've gotten so far. =)