フォーラム » FFXI » General » New Player?
New Player?
 Ramuh.Citag
サーバ: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: Citag
By Ramuh.Citag 2009-11-25 18:22:14  
Sylph.Beelshamen said:
Yeah, you're going to be working with people a lot. You're going to be working with *** a lot. There is a really low "solo" aspect in this game. Don't expect you can do everything by yourself. Make your starting nation San D'Oria and pick tarutatu if you want to level mages mainly. Pick a hume if you want an all around character. Whatever you do, don't pick an elvaan. Have fun.

Or galka!!! They are hecka ugly.
 Ramuh.Scizor
user: Scizor
By Ramuh.Scizor 2009-11-25 18:23:05  
Ramuh is a nice server, alot of helpful people and easy going linkshells
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
サーバ: Garuda
user: hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-11-25 18:26:03  
I really can't recommend Garuda. It's the smallest server and finding lower level parties, which you'll been needing soon, would be easier on a more populated server. But if you do decide to come here, there are a lot of friendly players around.
By Ezio 2009-11-25 18:27:20  
Alright guys, I'm officially on Siren. Thanks for all of the help, and if you have any tips, feel free to PM me or leave it here, I'll more than likely check it. (Or send me a whisper in game if you're on Siren)

Thanks all, Good adventuring!
 Ramuh.Citag
user: Citag
By Ramuh.Citag 2009-11-25 18:27:29  
Ramuh.Scizor said:
Ramuh is a nice server, alot of helpful people and easy going linkshells

MMMhmm I havnt had any problems with rude people yet. Just some lazy ones here and there. Just watch out for Rowland if you decide to come here.

Edit: fail, you made up your mind already ><
 Sylph.Beelshamen
サーバ: Sylph
By Sylph.Beelshamen 2009-11-25 18:29:16  
Ezio said:
@Beelshamen

Haha, wha? No Elvaan? Why not?

Can anyone post that elvaan joke? The one where he falls and misses the floor or something?
 Bismarck.Altar
サーバ: Bismarck
user: altar1
By Bismarck.Altar 2009-11-25 18:29:47  
Ezio said:
Anyone else have any last minute advice before I make my character?

Take care and make sure you pick the best race applicable to whatever job you would like to start levelling. If you've enjoyed levelling magic types of jobs in the past, Tarutaru are a great race to go with, and mithra/hume are a nice middle ground as well. Elvaan are a bit weaker in this area, but still workable. If you like being in the middle of things, Elvaan are a great race, with mithra/hume again, being a nice middle ground. I'd advise against picking a Galka. No offense to any galka mages out there, but the cost of gearing a Galka mage is probably too high for a new player. Also, watching your galka run is unbearable.

There are a few jobs that are better to level than others for a new player, especially from a melee point of view. If you wanted to post what your interests are, I'm sure other people in the forum would help you out in this aspect.

Also: If you are just picking up the game to start playing new, I'd strongly suggest you try and rope in an RL friend or two. I have a bunch that play with me, and although we are in different linkshells, it definitely makes the game more enjoyable.
 Pandemonium.Silvaria
サーバ: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Silvaria 2009-11-25 20:02:41  
Cerberus.Katarzyna said:
Sylph.Beelshamen said:
Yeah, you're going to be working with people a lot. You're going to be working with *** a lot. There is a really low "solo" aspect in this game. Don't expect you can do everything by yourself.

Make your starting nation San D'Oria and pick tarutatu if you want to level mages mainly.

Pick a hume if you want an all around character.

Whatever you do, don't pick an elvaan.

Have fun.

I'm Elvaan and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Same here. Sadly, though, it seems like Elvaans are the most picked-on race in the game, which I don't understand at all. I've even been told we are drop-dead ugly...ah, well. To each their own, I guess. In any case, I am Elvaan and proud of it. 8)
 Remora.Ninian
サーバ: Remora
user: Ninian
By Remora.Ninian 2009-11-25 20:06:53  
Pandemonium.Silvaria said:
Same here. Sadly, though, it seems like Elvaans are the most picked-on race in the game, which I don't understand at all. I've even been told we are drop-dead ugly...ah, well. To each their own, I guess. In any case, I am Elvaan and proud of it. 8)

Elvaans just have odd lanky proportions, I think mostly their neck and arms. The females have really pretty faces though, and I like how they wield swords. D:
 Sylph.Beelshamen
サーバ: Sylph
By Sylph.Beelshamen 2009-11-25 20:09:38  
Remora.Ninian said:
Pandemonium.Silvaria said:

Elvaans just have odd lanky proportions, I think mostly their neck and arms. The females have really pretty faces though, and I like how they wield swords. D:

Elvaan F:

[+]
By Ezio 2009-11-25 20:17:46  
After seeing that picture.. I regret checking in on this thread.
 Siren.Enternius
サーバ: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-11-25 20:18:27  
Ezio said:
@Enternius

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, but what statistics are you looking at that make those 3 the best? I'm really just trying to get some input from people saying if their server is new player friendly or not, I'd rather not have to struggle finding people to get stuff done.
This is delayed, but...

Really every server is basically the same. There is no "Professional server" so to speak. You can expect generally the same thing from every server, give or take on AH prices by a few gil or something.

And as for Siren being statistically the best, you can check achievement ratings on this site, the people registered on Siren have the highest average, I believe. There was a site somewhere that tracked them all but I forget which one it was.

Also, Siren is pretty much undefeated in Besieged and is one of the most active PvP servers, among other things.
 Siren.Enternius
サーバ: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-11-25 20:19:10  
Elvaan:

[+]
 Midgardsormr.Renala
サーバ: Midgardsormr
user: Renala
By Midgardsormr.Renala 2009-11-25 20:21:29  
If its not to late, Midgar has alot of new-semi new friendly LS's, and its community i fairly hopping. I can say seraph WAS good 3 years ago, but 3 years... Yeah.
 Seraph.Caiyuo
サーバ: Seraph
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-11-25 20:28:44  
Cerberus.Katarzyna said:
Sylph.Beelshamen said:
Yeah, you're going to be working with people a lot. You're going to be working with *** a lot. There is a really low "solo" aspect in this game. Don't expect you can do everything by yourself.

Make your starting nation San D'Oria and pick tarutatu if you want to level mages mainly.

Pick a hume if you want an all around character.

Whatever you do, don't pick an elvaan.

Have fun.

I'm Elvaan and I wouldn't have it any other way.
Right? I'm sure there are highs and lows that come with being an elf as with all races, but I've never noticed the lows since I'm far too busy looking awesome at all times and reveling in having the highest STR everrr. Also we have delightful hair. Everyone else but tarus look like their hair was glued to their heads/foreheads(mith) unfortunately!

Midgardsormr.Renala said:
If its not to late, Midgar has alot of new-semi new friendly LS's, and its community i fairly hopping. I can say seraph WAS good 3 years ago, but 3 years... Yeah.
When I was active on Seraph, things were fairly HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE between HNM and other end-game things. Can't really speak for how it is now, but at the time SoU just botted the *** out of everything imaginable.
[+]
 Valefor.Integral
サーバ: Valefor
user: Caliber
By Valefor.Integral 2009-11-25 20:38:32  
Valefor.Ellise said:
Hmm I think any server would be a nice place to start? Reason being, people are always leveling new jobs, and who knows, maybe you might happen upon a nice community of people who will make your time spent online more meaningful.

It's really about community when it comes down to things. Items and gear are just icing on the cake so to speak~ I'm sure that you will be fine wherever you decide to visit.

any server except valefor*

avoid like the plague
 Asura.Shambo
サーバ: Asura
user: Shambo
By Asura.Shambo 2009-11-29 19:48:30  
don't come to asura
 Asura.Korpg
サーバ: Asura
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-11-29 20:13:13  
Come to Asura
 Fenrir.Parak
サーバ: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Parak 2009-11-29 20:50:24  
Fenrir is a great server :). Very balanced and lots of good people. Plus if you like PvP, Fenrir still has a lot of ballista fans on it (including myself)
 Ramuh.Jadell
user: jadell
By Ramuh.Jadell 2009-11-29 21:53:23  
Now I will have nightmares after seeing the body builder.... send it to Rowland... he will make it happy!!!