フォーラム » FFXI » General » Chocobo Abilities
Chocobo Abilities
 Ragnarok.Papichulo
サーバ: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Papichulo
By Ragnarok.Papichulo 2009-12-16 15:14:36  
Hi Everyone,
I have a chocobo that's about 39 days old. She has learned both Bore and Burrow abilities. She has yet to actually use them. A friend of mine has a bird a bit older than mine, and has Bore ability and Treasure Hunter ability. He says his used the Bore ability right away. My bird has a discrenment level of outstanding and a receptivity level of a bit deficient. I'm trying to figure out why she won't bore or burrow. I dig mostly in Altepa. Any information would be greatly appreciated. I don't know if the hot set up is Bore or Burrow, plus Treasure Hunter is required, or if the use of the learned ability is tied to Discernment or Receptivity.
Thanks,
Papi
 Fairy.Tbest
サーバ: Fairy
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-12-16 15:20:15  
O.oa Aren't they like traits and always active?

They don't "use" them. They just increase the chance of finding more rare items or increase the chance of finding a chest in the Hot & Cold Game from what I know.
 Ragnarok.Papichulo
By Ragnarok.Papichulo 2009-12-16 15:38:40  
Well, the traits don't work. My friends uses the ability 10-20% of the time. Mine has never used them and I've been thru 100's of stacks of greens. :(
 Carbuncle.Sterling
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Sterling
By Carbuncle.Sterling 2009-12-16 15:40:59  
Fairy.Tbest said:
O.oa Aren't they like traits and always active?

They don't "use" them. They just increase the chance of finding more rare items or increase the chance of finding a chest in the Hot & Cold Game from what I know.

This.

They just allow you to dig up more uncommon items more frequently. I also believe it allows your choc to not get as tired as quickly from digging. There wont be a prompt or anything that tells you when they use it because its kinda like Treasure Hunter for THF.
 Fairy.Tbest
サーバ: Fairy
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-12-16 15:44:27  
Just increase Disc and Recept to their maxes, and then put remaining points into Endurance for a first-rate digger.
 Shiva.Emobi
サーバ: Shiva
user: Emobi
By Shiva.Emobi 2009-12-16 16:20:28  
For boring/burrowing, it's probably best to test out your choco in an area that's not dug up so often. This trait is constantly on. I have a digging bird with Treasure Finder and Bore and Impressive Discernment. The Bore kicks in probably 10%-20% of the time, but then again, I also have really high Chocobo Digging ability, and it only really works in zones that are "ripe" (as I like to call them). You could also get the Light Blue Chocojack Coat, which really does work well.

Best of luck digging!

★emobi
 Gilgamesh.Tallulah
サーバ: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Tallulah 2009-12-16 16:27:53  
They are like job traits. They are always active, but they don't always activate. Just like undead killer or such.
I used to dig in altepa a bit before I got so annoyed with it always being "empty". If bore and burrow are procing in altepa you should be getting seeds and other ores. I have Treasure Hunter and Burrow on my digging chocobo (mainly for CH&C). Burrow will get you seeds in east and burrow will get you ores in east. West will be feathers and spider webs and bore will be bonecraftables.
In my experience the traits do not proc very often, and then sometimes they will proc a lot. If you have them I have to assume they are working.
Check wiki and keep track of what you dig up. You might be using them and not realize it.
http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Chocobo_Digging

Stupid suggestion, but a thought; if it isn't your first chocobo make sure you have registered to call your new one.
 Ragnarok.Papichulo
By Ragnarok.Papichulo 2009-12-16 16:52:05  
So it seems like the theme here is Treasure Finder and one other ability either bore or burrow. My friends bird that has Treasure Finder and bore works. The confusing issue was I have another friend and her choco has bore and burrow and she says both abilities work. I am seeing a pattern here with Treasure Finder and one other ability.
 Gilgamesh.Tallulah
サーバ: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Tallulah 2009-12-16 17:01:38  
I think both abilities can work together, but they will also compete with one another to proc.
It's up to you what to do. Look at the lists of items for both abilities and choose which you'd like more if you do try treasure hunter.
Treasure Finder only works in the Chocobo Hot and Cold game from what I understand.