users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » PLD/SCH
PLD/SCH
First Page 2
 Hades.Raytheshadow
サーバ: Hades
Game: FFXI
By Hades.Raytheshadow 2009-12-18 18:14:31  
While I'm no career/veteran PLD, I love PLD in Campaign. I used to use /DNC for a while and it was the main choice for most. It's kinda a drag after a while, though, just throwing up waltz after waltz.

But, after leveling SCH for SMN, I now /always/ use /SCH for campaign, and just thought I'd put my thoughts here for other PLDs to see and ponder over. Keep in mind that everything is just for campaign and solo'ing some tougher stuff, nothing other than that.

Gains from /SCH:

-Sublimation; A max charge can give me well into 300-400MP, It's an extra 2mp/tic.

-Light Arts; Shaves 10% off your MP cost, cast, and recast time on cures.

-Dark Arts: Viable Drain and Aspirs, it's surprising how many mobs in Campaign actually have MP, even non-mages. You can usually pull off 100-200 Drains and 60-100 Aspirs.

-Addendum: White; Reraise, -na's
-Addendum: Black; Sleep and Dispel if needed for their usual benefits or extra hate grabbing if you're being contested for hate on a mob you're tanking.

-Stratagems:

Penury and Parsimony, reduce base MP cost by 50%, good for those big cures while conserving MP.

Celerity and Alacrity, Halve reprisal recast (love this, it lasts 1min and leaves you with 30s downtime, so most of the time, your casting is virtually unhindered, even when being beat on by multiple mobs), flash timer, or Drain or Aspir, or Sleep

Other bonuses:
Regen II etc

I could just be stupid, but I really like the fun I have with /SCH so I thought I'd share^^ /SCH has allowed me, (where I wouldn't have been able to before) to take on multiple mobs in campaign at once, solo stuff like Orcish Overlord, duo Aqrabuamelu, and solo a variety, (but not all) EM-T's with ease.

If you'd like your time back after reading this, complaints on a postcard, please. ;p
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
サーバ: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-12-18 18:24:52  
On low lvl stuff I find phalanx helps more than that but yeah /sch is rediculously good for alot of jobs. I use it soloing on blu all the time.

Though recently I've been doing blu/dnc mostly cause I got enough stuff going on as is and all that casting cuts down how much I melee and can get interrupted and the switching between arts kinda annoy and aspir samba works pretty good and I like having erase.

On real cool thing I like about /sch for pld though is -50% cast/recast on say reprisal. Or even flash lol since that would reduce it to 23 sec and flash full duration is 12 sec so if you subbed some macc/divine gear into flash could force more full durations too for soloing
 Ragnarok.Anye
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2009-12-18 18:27:19  
Yeah, I've heard mention of the whole -50% cast/recast on Reprisal before. Sounds awesome, only having 30sec between casts. :3

It sounds like a viable sub, but not very famous. I'd be willing to try it^^
 Siren.Enternius
サーバ: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-12-18 18:28:09  
All campaign mobs have MP except for special ones like the ones that come from Belfries etc. The normal mobs and NMs are all /BLM for Warp xD so they all have MP.

I love /SCH for pretty much every job, too. I hear PUP/SCH is the new definitive PUP solo setup, among other things.
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-12-18 18:32:34  
Siren.Enternius said:
The normal mobs and NMs are all /BLM for Warp xD so they all have MP.
LMAO never though of it that way.
Siren.Enternius said:
I love /SCH for pretty much every job, too. I hear PUP/SCH is the new definitive PUP solo setup, among other things.
Well that's for slightly different reasons. More like with that you can pretty much sleep nuke with your automatom while it's doing all the nuking and you just sleep here and there using next to no mp. And the automatom might as well have infinite mp
 Ragnarok.Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2009-12-18 18:52:52  
Ramuh.Dasva said:
if you subbed some macc/divine gear into flash could force more full durations too for soloing
Er, I checked... PLD doesn't get much gear towards MAcc; maybe Homam head and Insect Ring, but other than that, not much else that's worth the time/gil.

Divine Magic would be a little easier to obtain, and it seems PLD isn't too shabby with both gear and skill in that area.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-12-18 18:59:03  
Ragnarok.Anye said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
if you subbed some macc/divine gear into flash could force more full durations too for soloing
Er, I checked... PLD doesn't get much gear towards MAcc; maybe Homam head and Insect Ring, but other than that, not much else that's worth the time/gil.

Divine Magic would be a little easier to obtain, and it seems PLD isn't too shabby with both gear and skill in that area.
Well by macc I don't mean just the macc stat anything increases your acc with macc lol. Mnd probably effects macc too being divine. But yeah besides insect ring/omega ring/balhrans ring homam head and sturms report most the macc gear pld gets cost alot. Auerole... Corselet+1.

Still that's something then added with the +33 skill you can get from non weapon gear on a spell that is already pretty damn accurate and were talking soloing here so probably nothing to rediculously resistant

Ragnarok.Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2009-12-18 20:36:53  
I've got a MND set (incomplete, but effective for SS/Chivalry), I'll do some testing when I get the chance, and bring my Gallant Surcoat, Knight's Earring, and borrow a Water Staff from a BLM friend; see what happens.
 Remora.Abriel
サーバ: Remora
user: Abriel
By Remora.Abriel 2009-12-18 20:44:11  
sch seems like so much fun... ::stares at his inventory space and cries:: orz
 Fenrir.Shindo
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Shindo
By Fenrir.Shindo 2009-12-18 21:05:54  
That's something I've been wondering about for sometime. I'm not PLD but I have SCH 75. Is using sublimation viable as PLD? I'd have to imagine with the way you'd get beat on sublimation'd get cut off when you reach 50% HP a lot. I know it happens to me if I'm in a mission or something where I'm taking lots of aoe damage. Or will you let someone else take hate on the mob while you charge it?
 Hades.Raytheshadow
サーバ: Hades
By Hades.Raytheshadow 2009-12-18 22:10:39  
Not usually a problem for me in Campaign especially, with all the PDT- gear, the damage you take over time is pretty laughable. PLD also have more hp, averaging at about 1300-1400 depending. Taking 650-700 damage without you getting to throw a cure is pretty unlikely.

It sucks when you do drop below, if you're fighting something difficult, or multiple enemies, but you you still have w/e MP you pooled up 'til then, you just get a 30s penalty or 20MP lost.

Also, for bigger fights I usually pool up my MP ready before the fight, that way it's there and I don't have to worry, just empty it when necessary. If I'm duoing with an RDM for example, then they can just throw up refresh after I've used up the pool. It's pretty nice to go into a fight with a potential MP pool of about 600+500+400 (Base, Chivalry, Sublimation)
 Cerberus.Phyrefly
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Phyrefly
By Cerberus.Phyrefly 2009-12-18 22:40:33  
Hmm sounds interesting. I might have to level sch to try it. :)
 Ragnarok.Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2009-12-18 23:02:06  
Sublimation would be a great hate tool--getting HP- and MP+, then being able to Cure IV for more hate :P

-edit- Didn't know that the recast of Sublimation was 30 sec. ROFL :D
 Fenrir.Parak
サーバ: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Parak 2009-12-18 23:13:51  
I dunno about using /SCH for a campaign or exping situation, but I ALWAYS go /SCH when I need the extra MP boost on PLD. It's so nice to recover 250+ MP with sublimination when I need it and I can't complain with all of the abilites and traits that comes /SCH to cut even more MP off casting. I love /SCH :)
 Ragnarok.Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2009-12-18 23:53:49  
Lol :) It would be pretty awesome if you had capped Staff (Full Swing when sufficient MP, Spirit Taker when necessary) and fully merited Chivalry, AND subbed /SCH. (And all the Refresh gear~) UNLIMITED POWAAAAAH~
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-12-18 23:56:37  
But your dmg would be so lol!!! I mean even as a rdm when I use a dagger I rarely use the mp steal moves cause ws dmg more efficient and god meleeing is slow without a good ws.

Edit: Full swing and spirit taker have the same ftp at 100% tp which is lol 1.0. But Full swing has 50% str mod while spirit taker has a 50% int and mnd mod...

Retribution on the other hand 2.0 ftp at 100% and has 30% str and 50% mnd mods
 Ragnarok.Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2009-12-18 23:58:50  
WHATS THIS ABOUT PLD AND DAMAGE I CANT HEAR YOU :P
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-12-19 00:02:11  
Ragnarok.Anye said:
WHATS THIS ABOUT PLD AND DAMAGE I CANT HEAR YOU :P
If you want to not bore the mob to death Don't use full swing! Unless you got like a tp bonus staff. Then it might beat retribution at 100% definitely at 200%... actually 2nd though just use Carbuncle's Pole for lots of dmg bwhahhahaha

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Pandemonium.Silvaria
サーバ: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Silvaria 2009-12-19 01:08:16  
I wouldn't have put the combination together, myself, but my fiance' uses PLD/SCH quite a bit when the situation warrants, and it works quite well for him. 8)
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-12-19 02:21:27  
I really think martial/carbuncle would make ok poles with there tp bonus. Spirit takers ftp jumps from 1.0 to 1.5 from 100 to 200% tp. Full swing goes from 1.0 to 3.0 or if you save up another 100%, to 5.0 on 300%. And Retribution goes from 2.0 to 2.5. Those are pretty big gains.

And if enspell dmg counts for campaign going /smn and keeping carby out could help alot. I mean yeah you lose your auto-refresh effectively. But you get an additional 50-90 enlight dmg according to wiki at about 50% rate. Though personally as a rdm/smn I was getting more like 75-98 I think.

If your low lvl smn well guess what your perp cost is low so that's not a bad thing maybe even to 1. If it is higher it can be up to 5 but not to hard to get it down to 1. And with some spirit taking auto-refresh sigil refresh 2-3 refresh peices shouldn't be hard to keep mp up, and you get acess to AOE buffing. Also lvl 5 carbuncle gets poison nails which is still low enough for only 1 perp cost and that looks like it skillchains with Retribution

Post deleted by User.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-12-19 19:26:25  
Well for that set up if I was gunna do it or say did do it on rdm/smn I wouldn't be satistfied with just free carby unless I had no extra refreshes other than just auto-refresh job trait since I'm not sure the additional dmg would make up for you gaining no mp. I haven't tried to skillchain with carby well not solo I've set some up before but some of my old smn friends used to all the time.
 Siren.Kyte
サーバ: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2009-12-19 20:00:44  
Quote:
I've got a MND set (incomplete, but effective for SS/Chivalry), I'll do some testing when I get the chance, and bring my Gallant Surcoat, Knight's Earring, and borrow a Water Staff from a BLM friend; see what happens.

Flash is Light, not water.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-12-19 20:05:15  
Siren.Kyte said:
Quote:
Flash is Light, not water.
Divine skill and mnd yo!!! Ok light still probably better and apollo definitely

Post deleted by User.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-12-19 23:19:24  
Seraph.Josiahkf said:
lol smartass but yeah water staff would help your interuption rate moreso compared to light staff and thats it yawn lol near instant cast spell....
I know. Kinda annoys me. Like if I see someone else casting same non nuke spell when I do I often move to interrupt but it never works on stun lol.

Post deleted by User.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-12-19 23:35:24  
Seraph.Josiahkf said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Seraph.Josiahkf said:
lol smartass but yeah water staff would help your interuption rate moreso compared to light staff and thats it yawn lol near instant cast spell....
I know. Kinda annoys me. Like if I see someone else casting same non nuke spell when I do I often move to interrupt but it never works on stun lol.
yes lmao then one stands there looking like a moron, should make that moment and feeling into a pic somehow : p
Something along these lines?

Post deleted by User.
First Page 2