Picking Next Job To Take To 60... Should It Be THF?

Eorzea Time

言語: JP EN FR DE
日本語版のFFXIVPRO利用したい場合は、上記の"JP"を設定して、又はjp.ffxivpro.comを直接に利用してもいいです
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Thief » Picking next job to take to 60... should it be THF?
Picking next job to take to 60... should it be THF?
First Page 2 3
By Beouvle 2009-12-23 20:57:01  
Hello! As the subject says i'm trying to decide what to take to 60 next (which is what I like doing), and i'm torn...

As a returning player (2 year break), i'm completely broke. I'm thinking going with THF will help that :)

HOWEVER... i'm a heck of a lot closer with several other jobs (THF is 15, NIN is 38, WAR is 37, DRK is 35).

Which do I pick? Any other multi-job lovers out there want to try to persuade me?
 Asura.Ludoggy
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-12-23 20:58:55  
I think you should take all your jobs to 75 instead of 60 =p
I vote War though.
 Alexander.Zayo
サーバ: Alexander
user: Zayo
By Alexander.Zayo 2009-12-23 21:01:59  
THF is a good pick. You've already got your NIN to sub level, and starting for such a low level will be a great way to get back into the swing of things, not to mention THF is a blast to play. Not sure why you'd want to stop at 60 though, parties really pick up for THF from 55-65+ fighting birds.
 Siren.Enternius
サーバ: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-12-23 21:19:37  
Coming from someone with 9 75s and 13 jobs close to 75, THF is definitely my least favorite of them.

It all depends on what you like to do. I'm not a fan of being whored for TH and getting nothing in return, but maybe some people are.
 Phoenix.Wayako
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Wayako
By Phoenix.Wayako 2009-12-23 21:48:52  
THF is good for gil making so that would be a plus in helping you decide if you want to take it up. I personally find THF fun and no its not just used as a TH *** but also a hate controller, puller and decent blink tank (in certain situations or if soloing)...and as was noted, you already have nin leveled for sj.

Granted every job has its good and bad points- which to level next should depend on what you feel like doing most. Without knowing that about you I really can't give much advice since what I find fun/what I need you may not.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
サーバ: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-12-23 21:56:37  
You might just fall in love with THF. I personally did. Such an immensely fun and sexy job :)
By Beouvle 2009-12-23 22:04:01  
! Lots of responses! Yeah!

Well, to admit even more, I'm a huge fan of AF armor collecting, so that's why the focus is on 60.

I've done it with 4 jobs so far, MNK WHM PLD & SAM (in that order).

Mnk was fun, and my first, so I took it to 75. Just pure DD was fun, but got a little stale (this was long before merits/etc).

Whm got old... very repetitive... It was nice to use for making money telewhoring though, for sure, but the entire telewhoring business is pretty down in Alexander, since I got back.

Pld was probably my favorite, to be honest. By the time I picked it up I was not worried about gil, and could afford to try to pimp him at the time, maybe that's why I liked him. He also had the best looking armor :).

Sam was fun, just finished getting my last AF piece. I loved the TP-centric approach and could always keep up with the top DD. I may have to take him to 75 just for the kick-*** looking WS's...

I'm low on the gil, which makes THF tempting... But i'm sure I could finish DRK and WAR faster (I'll probably hold off on NIN due to gil..)

Plus, WAR AF looks... ech.. DRK looks ok, THF looks.. meh... (sure has a bunch of +Steal...)

(SO far 1 vote for War, 2 for Thf, 1 for NOT THF!)

:)

By Beouvle 2009-12-23 22:04:55  
Y'know I just thought that putting this in THF will probably make it biased, eh? ;)
 Bahamut.Nomadikhan
user: Nomad
By Bahamut.Nomadikhan 2009-12-23 22:21:43  
As much fun as thf is I don't think I'd want to repeat leveling it again, least on bahamut I wouldn't. It took me almost 4 months to get from 37-75 soloing cause no one apparently level syncs anymore or if they do they don't need a thf ; ;.

But anyway thf is really fun, I hated it at first but tried it again and I love it... beats main healing as my rdm anyday!

What ever you choose to level, good luck and welcome back to ffxi ^^
 Unicorn.Boyaci
サーバ: Unicorn
user: Boyaci
By Unicorn.Boyaci 2009-12-23 22:28:45  
The common theme for the last 6 months on the majority of servers is that all activity is down, not just telewhoring.

As the population slowly declines, the game is becoming more and more endgame-only focused. While THF, WAR, and DRK do have some very distinct differences, they are lumped together as "just another DD" by a lot of players when assembling parties. Unless you plan on leading/building every party you will have on your next job, that fact should be taken into consideration.

If Alexander is following the same trends that Unicorn and many other servers are following, you may be better served leveling a more "high-demand" job; i.e nin (as a tank), rdm, and to some extent rng or drg as you get closer to Lesser Colibri levels. That will partially ensure that, even with a dwindling number of seekers, most parties will have a spot available for you.

You mentioned that you already have WHM leveled, so leveling RDM would benefit you in two areas: your main subjob is done, and you already have the majority of the spells you will need, lessening the hit your pocketbook will take.

Never underestimate RDM and it's ability to solo. While you will lack the TH goodness that is THF, you will have better survivability, which is never a bad thing.
 Bahamut.Nomadikhan
user: Nomad
By Bahamut.Nomadikhan 2009-12-23 22:38:00  
Unicorn.Boyaci said:
The common theme for the last 6 months on the majority of servers is that all activity is down, not just telewhoring.

As the population slowly declines, the game is becoming more and more endgame-only focused. While THF, WAR, and DRK do have some very distinct differences, they are lumped together as "just another DD" by a lot of players when assembling parties. Unless you plan on leading/building every party you will have on your next job, that fact should be taken into consideration.

If Alexander is following the same trends that Unicorn and many other servers are following, you may be better served leveling a more "high-demand" job; i.e nin (as a tank), rdm, and to some extent rng or drg as you get closer to Lesser Colibri levels. That will partially ensure that, even with a dwindling number of seekers, most parties will have a spot available for you.

You mentioned that you already have WHM leveled, so leveling RDM would benefit you in two areas: your main subjob is done, and you already have the majority of the spells you will need, lessening the hit your pocketbook will take.

Never underestimate RDM and it's ability to solo. While you will lack the TH goodness that is THF, you will have better survivability, which is never a bad thing.

^ this.

Also rdm/thf has access to cheaper if not free multi hit weapons so farming is sometimes faster, so you can essentially farm smart and make for for lack of th3-4.

Also, just something I've noticed, if an item has a low drop rate, like 1-10% then it's gonna stay low even with improved TH. for example, tree cuttings. I can go rdm/thf and kill 10 goobue, get 1 cutting, switch to thf/??? and kill 10 goobue and maybe get 1-2 cuttings.
 Hades.Rictor
サーバ: Hades
user: Spoon
By Hades.Rictor 2009-12-23 22:52:57  
I vote yes to Thf, as I find the level 60ish combo of SH plus af hands and legs with bounding boots/leaping boots to be way cool, in a horribly mismatched kinda way.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-12-24 09:43:43  
Hades.Rictor said:
I vote yes to Thf, as I find the level 60ish combo of SH plus af hands and legs with bounding boots/leaping boots to be way cool, in a horribly mismatched kinda way.
Hades.Rictor said:
af hands and legs
Hades.Rictor said:
af legs

>:O

If you do want to make money though, level RDM and get good at the solo side :p farming is decent but not compared to what you could make as a RDM soloist.
 Ramuh.Dasva
サーバ: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-12-24 09:47:39  
Or fishing! A good thf can solo alot too though
 Bahamut.Oblivion
user: remnant
By Bahamut.Oblivion 2009-12-24 10:13:42  
THF was a pain to level before level sync, but it may no longer be the case.

Out of my melee jobs, I prefer to play THF the most. Comes down to personal preference, I guess.

Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-12-24 10:58:08  
THF can't solo near as much as RDM though... on RDM you can make 600k+ in less than 2 hours if Sky is open, and that's not even relying on anything luck-based. If you add Despot etc to the equation, then merc'ing things like Fenrir, Gration solos (HQ shield onry) ... it's incredibly good money.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-12-24 11:04:52  
600k in less than 2 hours without luck!?! How?
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-12-24 11:06:26  
Zipacna + Steam Cleaner + Faust!

EDIT: Just for clarity, this was ~600k on Bahamut most of the time. Sometimes went down to ~500k. Can pick up a Curtana for a free 100k when you go down there (duo Gem with friend, split 50/50 or even better).

Zipacna takes ~10-20 minutes to solo roughly, Steam Cleaner is -not- very luck based to pop if you use a proper method and takes ~25 minutes, Faust takes 20-30 minutes typically. Add travel times and it takes roughly two hours to take all three.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-12-24 11:10:50  
I wouldn't say that is without luck since those won't necessarily be up even with sky being open. Over here anyways Zip only seems to be up like 1/3 the time. Faust pretty much always. SC even when up can take awhile to spawn
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-12-24 11:11:49  
Well, most of the time they will be if sky is open since only LSs or other soloists take them. Work out when LSs go up and work around them~ depends how many capable soloists there are on your server.

SC normally takes me about 5~ mins to pop; I can link you to the strat if you want.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-12-24 11:15:31  
Bahamut.Raenryong said:
Well, most of the time they will be if sky is open since only LSs or other soloists take them. Work out when LSs go up and work around them~ depends how many capable soloists there are on your server.

SC normally takes me about 5~ mins to pop; I can link you to the strat if you want.
Yes please. And I haven't done much soloing up there but back when my ls used to just randomly go when it looked open was when Zip was like 1/3 SC was kinda meh and despot yeah. Granted we never watched to make sure it was open for hours cause frankly that isn't gunna happen even if they are just people doing FOV.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-12-24 11:39:15  
http://www.bluegartrls.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2682258&postcount=5

Blowing my own trumpet etc but someone asked about how to solo him on BG so I answered; this was when I was much less experienced with RDM so a lot of the advice might seem like I'm being "too careful" but the pop method I used remains largely unchanged.

I wouldn't bother with Despot myself, never got him to pop once :( 0/400+ or some crap.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-12-24 11:41:08  
I've had better luck with despot. But sometimes it's clear that someone else just solo'd it rq and it aint gunna pop
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-12-24 11:43:08  
I think everyone has had better luck :( these are all kills counted from when it was in its window too (ToDs used to camp and whatnot). Rage.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-12-24 11:46:38  
Goddamn. Yeah I've in pt seen Steamcleaner take like 9 detectors to spawn and that was with getting all of there getting all 5 spawns off of it... /rage
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-12-24 11:52:10  
Very rare it happens though, only 10~ mins lost with this strat too. It's very effective; never had any problems if it was due to spawn.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-12-24 11:57:05  
Hmmm might have to try that and the others out since I kinda need the moneys. Could use me some movement speed on my mages
 Pandemonium.Areis
サーバ: Pandemonium
user: Areis
By Pandemonium.Areis 2009-12-24 12:44:56  
I would definatly have to say the most fun I've had leveling a job was Dragoon. Took me 4 years (or more) to get around to it, but it has fast become one of my favorite jobs.

If i had to pick jobs I've leveled and put them in order of fun > boring for 0~60 or even 75... taking into acount parties, solo & ugh please got shoot me moments:

I liked leveling and STILL like playing:
Dragoon 75
Blue Mage 75
Monk 75
White Mage 75

Somewhere along the line i just finished but don't like anymore:
Samurai 75
Black Mage 75
Corsair 75
Summoner 74

Currently leveling Paladin which i think will end in the top group. Also have looked at Nin, Dnc & Thf recently.

As far as what you can afford, most jobs will cost ya less than 200k to get to level 50 if you stick with rare/ex items you camp and watch what your wasting on equipment you don't need / food / tools / ammo. I usually end up making money as I level a job which more than covers what i expend (i've made over 100k solo leveling Pld from 20 to 43, not counting B.seals).

If your always looking for a party your pretty much guaranteed to have more expenses. You all of a sudden need to gear for a higher Acc (fighting IT instead of EM~T targets) and what is "optional" for solo, becomes "necessary" for party play.

now then... what should you level? again I'd have to say Dragoon. I think it really fits in with the paladin playstyle if your playing solo, and similar to sam for party play. but thats just my 2c
By Beouvle 2009-12-24 16:00:51  
Well, thanks for the RDM soloing input, but I haven't even gotten access to those area's yet(trust me, I'm trying to though).

Rdm is tempting as well, just because I know from past experience that it'll get invited faster. I've also played around with DRG a bit and enjoyed soloing (or duoing) with /rdm or something for healing breath.

I still got some time to decide, since I'm going to take DNC and SCH to 10 real quick (another quirky thing I do).

Another question: you solo'ed PLD Aries? I don't know, when I left soloing anything "even match" was suicide unless you were BST. Interesting..
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-12-24 16:05:25  
Soloing EMs hasn't been garunteed suicide ever it just takes more prep and better gear/playing. And pld soloing is pretty awesome until it gets to the really hard hitting stuff
First Page 2 3