フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Monk » Charger Mantle vs Foragers Mantle
Charger Mantle vs Foragers Mantle
 Lakshmi.Bshizzle
サーバ: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Brucio
By Lakshmi.Bshizzle 2010-01-17 21:01:58  
Basically,

Does the small amount of fSTR from the 3 str on forager's beat the 5 extra att on charger?

For mnk onry
 Ramuh.Dasva
サーバ: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-01-17 21:08:27  
Simple answer very doubtful though there would be math involved.

Also that 3 str is giving you another 1-2 att so charger really is only 3-4 up on it. Maybe back up to 5 if you count attack food

On top of that the relatively low base dmg makes fstr even stronger. Each fstr on normal melee hit should be somewhere between 1.5-2% dmg

Exact amounts of how much each will do are kinda based on mob you are fighting and your other stats though
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-01-17 21:33:15  
As a general rule, Forager's wins. If you're OCD and know that for a given situation you won't get the benefit of fSTR from Forager's due to it being the 25% where that doesn't happen or you're fSTR capped, Charger would win (potentially barring STR mod on WS) but that's not worth the coins unless you're really OCD.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-01-17 21:50:23  
Oh if you cap fstr in your tp set the chance of you capping Cratio isn't that bad either lol. And unless I'm mistaken most mnk wss are str modded
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-01-17 22:36:17  
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Oh if you cap fstr in your tp set the chance of you capping Cratio isn't that bad either lol. And unless I'm mistaken most mnk wss are str modded
Yes and yes, but it's there. Asuran Fists came to mind as one where 3 STR adding to WSC is only a possibility rather than assured.
 Kujata.Argettio
サーバ: Kujata
user: Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2010-01-18 05:20:57  
fSTR cap for hand to hand weapons is stupidly low.

If you are TPing in black belt and Usu body you will probably have capped fSTR on most merit/nyzul/limbus type mobs, so arguably Charger > Foragers at that point.

But the difference is tiny (2-3 attack) so not really worth the ABCs imo.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-01-18 08:03:29  
fstr caps are calculated different for H2h weapons btw. Well more specifically the weapon rank is. Though it doesn't always make a difference.

Normally weapon rank is non latent(unless it is permenanent like destroyers) dmg/9 rounded down.

However H2h is (dmg+3)/9. So say destroyers are rank 2 so they have upper cap of 10 fstr.

10 fstr is acheieved at 36 Dstr. So a total of 103str on greater lolibri is needed to cap. If you are doing that in tp gear. Well your not on my character since I seriously doubt an int meritted taru can do that without a bit of help and/or silly tp gear choices
 Kujata.Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2010-01-18 08:43:26  
Crap, I was calculating the weapon rank based on the 'un-broken' destroyers Damage (5, so weapon rank of 0).... lol.

Although my point still stands (although weakened). A Elvaan MNK/WAR with STR merits has 80 STR.

TP in:
Rajas (5)
BB (7)
Usu body (8)
Usu legs (5)

= 105 STR

Now that is pretty specific case (full Usukane MNK, with full STR merits and the highest STR race), but it is possible for MNK to TP with capped fSTR on weak mobs.

When you consider a lot of limbus and nyzul mobs aren't much more than even match, chances you would have capped fSTR on a lot of them even as an average MNK.

Edit: Btw I am not advocating the use of Chargers, Foragers is nearly always better and when it isn't better the difference would be tiny. I was just noting the whole 'capped fSTR' thing for purely interests sake.
 Remora.Abriel
サーバ: Remora
user: Abriel
By Remora.Abriel 2010-01-18 11:23:43  
even "unbroken" the ksnm crit. weapons' fSTR cap is determined by the latent's dmg. the same goes for weapons that have a +dmg/acc/atk latent <100%tp. just a lil' info to take in, lol.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-01-18 11:25:49  
Remora.Abriel said:
even "unbroken" the ksnm crit. weapons' fSTR cap is determined by the latent's dmg. the same goes for weapons that have a +dmg/acc/atk latent <100%tp. just a lil' info to take in, lol.
Where you get this info!?!
 Fairy.Vegetto
サーバ: Fairy
user: Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2010-01-18 11:26:10  
Kujata.Argettio said:

If you are TPing in black belt and Usu body you will probably have capped fSTR on most merit/nyzul/limbus type mobs, so arguably Charger > Foragers at that point.

Black belt/usu body won't do it alone, lol. Need like +36 str on the mob's agi. Charger is trash, imo. The coins would be better spent on a flawless ribbon, tbh.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-01-18 11:28:39  
wiki said:
Some weapons such as Company Sword/Company Fleuret, Blau Dolch, Maneater and Mensur Epee have their base damage increased when the latent / hidden effect is activated. Due to this damage increase, the value of Weapon Base Damage / 9 is changed, but the weapon rank doesn't reflect this change. The weapon rank is still the same as when the items have their latent / hidden effect inactive.
However, weapons that have their base damage permanently changed by a latent effect, such as Dissector, Subduer, Gondo-Shizunori and Destroyers, (the 500 or more Weapon Skill Points weapons), will always have a weapon rank based on the latent effect base damage, even before the latent effect becomes active
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2010-01-18 11:30:29  
booo :( I wanted to call him wrong first. That's like stealing your partner's kill in Halo, Dasva. I am disappointed in you.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-01-18 11:32:45  
Fairy.Vegetto said:
booo :( I wanted to call him wrong first. That's like stealing your partner's kill in Halo, Dasva. I am disappointed in you.
My bad. Wanna take turns or something? You get next one?
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2010-01-18 11:33:41  
Deal!
 Kujata.Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2010-01-18 13:03:08  
Fairy.Vegetto said:
Kujata.Argettio said:

Black belt/usu body won't do it alone, lol. Need like 36 str on the mob's agi. Charger is trash, imo. The coins would be better spent on a flawless ribbon, tbh.

I realised my mistake with calculating the fSTR cap after Dasva pointed it out.

But it is possible to cap on merit mobs with good TP gear (just better than my first estimation).
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-01-18 13:12:20  
Not for me. Not for me. Damn taru str
[+]
 Remora.Abriel
By Remora.Abriel 2010-01-18 13:18:56  
testing was done on BG, it's OLD so it'll require digging if it's still even there. latent 'company' type weapons fSTR is determined by their base damage though, not hidden.
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2010-01-18 13:20:01  
Remora.Abriel said:
testing was done on BG, it's OLD so it'll require digging if it's still even there. latent 'company' type weapons fSTR is determined by their base damage though, not hidden.
That's incorrect. That's only for weapons that types change w/ TP, not weapons that type change permanently, like destroyers. Stop while you're ahead.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-01-18 13:26:24  
Remora.Abriel said:
and wiki's also wrong on another point, a weapon's rank never changes (unless newer weapons have hidden effects that break this rule).
How can wiki be wrong on that when wiki says the same thing?
Ramuh.Dasva said:
wiki said:
Some weapons such as Company Sword/Company Fleuret, Blau Dolch, Maneater and Mensur Epee have their base damage increased when the latent / hidden effect is activated. Due to this damage increase, the value of Weapon Base Damage / 9 is changed, but the weapon rank doesn't reflect this change. The weapon rank is still the same as when the items have their latent / hidden effect inactive. However, weapons that have their base damage permanently changed by a latent effect, such as Dissector, Subduer, Gondo-Shizunori and Destroyers, (the 500 or more Weapon Skill Points weapons), will always have a weapon rank based on the latent effect base damage, even before the latent effect becomes active
 Remora.Abriel
By Remora.Abriel 2010-01-18 13:27:30  
it's early, I read that part wrong. editing, lol.

edit: doesn't that last line kind of confirm what I said earlier any way? it wouldn't be too hard to test the tp latent weapon's rank while active/inactive (may take some time if you're constantly one-shotting mobs though).

I'd like to say I've tested it, but I just don't remember. I did too many different test with perdu weapons when they came out to remember exactly what claims I did confirm.