Game: FFXI
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-01-18 15:50:14  
8 skill on body really? Thats very cool
 Valefor.Eirinne
サーバ: Valefor
user: Eirinne
By Valefor.Eirinne 2010-01-18 16:07:39  
to chaosx: (paste wont work and Im lazy)

I was just thinking the same thing!!!

and I love people who wear adaman especially the WHOLE SET. They look like cans of grape soda!
 Remora.Abriel
サーバ: Remora
user: Abriel
By Remora.Abriel 2010-01-18 16:52:41  
that's pretty decent for the ANNM augments.

on the argument of blinking while tanking, if you're taking enough actions to the point where you're blinking out of existence as pld, you're probably doing something wrong in the first place if you're not /rdm. there will normally be over several seconds between most any blinking, if your main healer/haste+refresh can't keep up with that I think you have bigger problems. there are instances where you'll blink a ton if you want to maximize performance, but at those times you won't normally need or want support like you're talking about (thinking initial hate gain with bash>sentinel>flash>cure cheats>flash get an easy ~1100 CE and ~8000 VE depending on cure cheats).
 Valefor.Hellbringerx
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Hellbringerx 2010-01-18 17:02:15  
Quote:
you can not assume that every healer uses "blink me not" blinking in and out of main slot gear is risky. and if you are worried about a pld feeding a mob too much tp that it matters to much then maybe you should back off some of the DDs lol.

Tell your mages "<stal>: Learn it, Live it, Love it." or "Quit asking me too be lazy in my job so you can be lazy in yours."
[+]
 Remora.Abriel
サーバ: Remora
user: Abriel
By Remora.Abriel 2010-01-18 17:07:54  
I want to say main healers should also use tank names in their macros too, but I'm not here to say how someone should play their job (as long as they use the right type of gear for the situation and do their job I could care less how they get it done, lol).
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [31 days between previous and next post]
 Leviathan.Eloc
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Eloc
By Leviathan.Eloc 2010-02-19 01:41:43  
Adaman Gear gets a bad rep. There's better stuff, but adaman Body/ Legs > AF1

Just don't use Feet. Ever.

Ever.
 Asura.Humtum
サーバ: Asura
user: scapular
By Asura.Humtum 2010-02-19 01:54:42  
Leviathan.Eloc said:

Ever.
Adaman body is crap, so is legs.....
Acp body is easy to get, I.R gear takes a while but is well worth it.

Never use that Blurple crap, you will be made fun off
[+]
 Leviathan.Eloc
By Leviathan.Eloc 2010-02-19 12:20:30  
Asura.Humtum said:
Leviathan.Eloc said:

Ever.

And Valor Surcoat and Hydra Haubert are better as well, and just require a little Dynamis. And Ares needs you to do a Salvage run or 2.

My point was, Adaman body and legs are better then AF1.
 Hades.Kvazz
サーバ: Hades
user: kvazz
By Hades.Kvazz 2010-02-19 12:27:15  
Leviathan.Eloc said:
Asura.Humtum said:
Leviathan.Eloc said:

Ever.

And Valor Surcoat and Hydra Haubert are better as well, and just require a little Dynamis. And Ares needs you to do a Salvage run or 2.

My point was, Adaman body and legs are better then AF1.

90% of all paladins say af1 body is better than adaman body :P
 Bahamut.Raenryong
サーバ: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-02-19 12:36:40  
90% of Paladins are idiots :( you should only be using these two bodies to perform enmity actions in, and 3enm > 2enm. Adaman Cuirass > Gallant Surcoat.
[+]
By Yuffy 2010-02-19 12:38:28  
90% of the PLDs play like ***, you just proved a point dude, grats.
 Hades.Kvazz
By Hades.Kvazz 2010-02-19 12:42:25  
If I were gonna straight-tank something, /war, and didnt have access to anything else than those two, I´d pick AF body for more hp rather than the ugly purple piece of crap.
[+]
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-02-19 12:43:00  
Darksteel Harness
[+]
 Hades.Kvazz
By Hades.Kvazz 2010-02-19 12:45:44  
Bahamut.Raenryong said:
Darksteel Harness

Hihgly underestimated piece of gear:(
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-02-19 12:48:02  
Leviathan.Eloc said:

Ever.

um, if you don't have askar or IR, it's just fine to macro in adaman feet for enmity actions

1 enm > 0 enm
 Leviathan.Eloc
By Leviathan.Eloc 2010-02-19 12:52:30  
Leviathan.Eloc said:
Ever.
Touche, touche.

But, i mean come on. It's purple! It can't be good.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-02-19 13:10:57  
Dusk might have something to say to you about that!
[+]
By Leuclaront 2010-02-19 14:05:58  
Adaman body is better then the AF body because of the higher defense while it should only be used if you dont have IR or the ACP body its good for PLD's who arnt serrious about the job and dont want to invest time into gearing it up well.
 Fairy.Maimed
サーバ: Fairy
user: Maimed
By Fairy.Maimed 2010-02-19 15:22:35  
Guys, stop being idiots to one another. Half of you calling others amateurs haven’t even popped your tanking cherry yet so unless you truly know what you’re talking about, don’t be an ***, even then, don’t be an ***.

Paladin can have a variety of different “Idle” sets depending on what they are tanking.

If you are building TP on the mob with your sword drawn, the ideal build consists of:
Haste > Accuracy > STR/Attk > HP+ gear **

If you are “idle tanking” without your weapon drawn, the ideal build consists of:
-PDT or –MDT depending on your target > HP+ gear. Idling in Haste/Accuracy gear is pointless because it has offers no value to someone standing still. **

** Some Paladins lack decent endgame gear and merits, so avoid overkilling your MP pool if you’re going to wind up with a ridiculously low amount of MP. I typically try to maintain at least 150 MP (Flash, Cure IV and Cure III worth of MP) at all times for the “oh ***” scenario. Find an emergency MP threshold you’re willing to stick with and build gear as efficiently as possible around it.

For those newer Paladins that assume Atonement is the end-all be-all to tanking, please understand that there will be fights where your TP is better served by using Chivalry than spamming for weaponskill damage. That will be a decision you will have to make based upon the support in your tank party, and your tanking style.

Please note, defense gear is pretty worthless in endgame unless if you stack ridiculous amounts, sub’ing /war or /blu and eat DEF food. Even then defense doesn’t affect magic damage taken so unless you are making a build specifically for mobs that do not cast any magic or have any magic based tp moves, I would suggest prioritizing HP over DEF in almost every single situation.

Obviously I’m assuming you are aware of when to swap in Haste for Utsusemi and Enmity for Job Abilities.

Idling in Enmity is pointless. If you’re a career Paladin, take 20 minutes to write all your macros. It really isn’t that hard.
 Fairy.Maimed
By Fairy.Maimed 2010-02-19 15:24:18  
AF1 Body > Adaman Body. HP +20 can make the difference between life and death. The 6 defense difference in armor won't equate to shaving 20 points of damage when you get hit, so avoid using the Power Ranger bodypiece if possible.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-02-19 15:30:06  
Quote:
Idling in Enmity is pointless.
Quote:
AF1 Body > Adaman Body.
I agree with most of your points, but you just contradicted yourself. We both agree idling in Enmity is pointless and we also agree (mostly) that
Quote:
If you are building TP on the mob with your sword drawn, the ideal build consists of:
Haste > Accuracy > STR/Attk > HP+ gear **

If you are “idle tanking” without your weapon drawn, the ideal build consists of:
-PDT or –MDT depending on your target > HP+ gear. Idling in Haste/Accuracy gear is pointless because it has offers no value to someone standing still. **
Therefore we must also agree that Haubergeon(TPing)/Darksteel Harness/Coral Scale Mail (PDT/MDT respectively) > Adaman/Gallant for idling in any and all situations.

Therefore, we agree that they are both macro pieces, where 3enm > 2enm and the +20HP should never become significant enough to take into account.

That said, I would idle in Ares' Cuirass or failing that a Vermy when idle and not TPing. EDIT for clarity: On /nin definitely, /war or /rdm would probably use physical reduction body/Koenig Head or Ares'/Koenig Head if I actually had it <_>
[+]
 Fairy.Maimed
By Fairy.Maimed 2010-02-19 15:31:39  
Leuclaront said:
Adaman body is better then the AF body because of the higher defense while it should only be used if you dont have IR or the ACP body its good for PLD's who arnt serrious about the job and dont want to invest time into gearing it up well.

This makes me want to /wrist and write a decent Paladin Guide. Too bad I'm simply too lazy to put the effort into doing so.
 Fairy.Maimed
By Fairy.Maimed 2010-02-19 15:37:10  
Bahamut.Raenryong said:
Quote:
Idling in Enmity is pointless.
Quote:
AF1 Body > Adaman Body.
I agree with most of your points, but you just contradicted yourself. We both agree idling in Enmity is pointless and we also agree (mostly) that
Quote:
If you are building TP on the mob with your sword drawn, the ideal build consists of: Haste > Accuracy > STR/Attk > HP gear ** If you are “idle tanking” without your weapon drawn, the ideal build consists of: -PDT or –MDT depending on your target > HP gear. Idling in Haste/Accuracy gear is pointless because it has offers no value to someone standing still. **
Therefore we must also agree that Haubergeon(TPing)/Darksteel Harness/Coral Scale Mail (PDT/MDT respectively) > Adaman/Gallant for idling in any and all situations. Therefore, we agree that they are both macro pieces, where 3enm > 2enm and the 20HP should never become significant enough to take into account. That said, I would idle in Ares' Cuirass or failing that a Vermy when idle and not TPing.

For a starter PLD (I'm assuming this is a newer player considering he doesn't have sea access), I sincerely doubt he's built a -PDT, Fire Resist, and other sets.

Haubergeon +1 is the best Atonement build piece on Paladin. I will purposely use my Ares Body on mobs like Cerberus to slightly gimp my accuracy (still have accuracy in other slots, including sword merits, and sushi) for the extra refresh, plus it means I eat a few less TP moves throughout the course of the fight. Then again, with my personal playstyle, i still build TP faster than other Paladins and can manage to keep almost full MP at all times.

I do adjust some pieces of gear depending on my co-tank.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-02-19 15:40:54  
Darksteel Harness alone is really cheap and would negate the need to use the AF1 body at all!
 Fairy.Maimed
By Fairy.Maimed 2010-02-19 15:43:47  
Bahamut.Raenryong said:
Darksteel Harness alone is really cheap and would negate the need to use the AF1 body at all!

Not really. Depending on what you're fighting, you have to remember that HP+20 benefits the tank when it comes to taking damage from both physical and magic damage.

Darksteel Harness is clutch exclusively for physical damage.

Paladin is not cookie cutter, if you really want to be efficient, you have to be willing to adjust to your environment.

Plus don't forget, the more HP you have, the less enmity you lose when you take damage. This is sometimes more important for newer tanks who are still working on completing their builds.
 Ramuh.Urial
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Urial
By Ramuh.Urial 2010-02-19 15:47:36  
These are nice, but I'd also say Valor actually work quite well for PLD/WAR Good def, hp, enmity, and spell interrupt rate.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-02-19 15:50:06  
Quote:
Plus don't forget, the more HP you have, the less enmity you lose when you take damage.

The less damage you take, the less enmity you lose upon being hit :p

Quoting you again,
Quote:
-PDT or –MDT depending on your target > HP+ gear.

You agree here that DS Harness/Coral Scale Mail > HP+ gear! Magical attacks are generally very predictable compared to physical attacks - if you are bloodtanking something where TP isn't a factor, DS Harness is the way to go (until Koenig Cuirass => Valhalla Breastplate). If you are /nin nonengaged, Vermy or Ares... failing that, DS Harness/Coral Scale Mail depending. If you are engaged, Hauby+1/Homam/Avalon/etcetc. If you don't have a proper engaged body, use Vermy or Ares or DS Harness or Coral Scale Mail ... etc.

There really is no place for AF1 body outside of a macro swap for enmity, which Adaman Cuirass does better.
[+]
 Fairy.Maimed
By Fairy.Maimed 2010-02-19 15:54:34  
My Valor Surcoat is my pride & joy. But almost every piece of AF2 on PLD is a macro piece:

AF2 Hat, good rampart macro piece, especially for Tiamat.
AF2 Body, good cover macro piece.
AF2 Hands, decent Shield Bash macro piece (personally don't use it)
AF2 Legs, good for spell interrupt % build mid-cast prior to swapping Haste in.
Af2 Feet, great Sentinel macro piece, basically gives you a few seconds of Invincible effect at start.

GearMod shows me wearing my Valor Surcoat because it just looks Paladiney :D
 Fairy.Maimed
By Fairy.Maimed 2010-02-19 15:56:45  
Yes, the less damage you take, the less enmity you lose, but you cannot swap MDT gear in fast enough to eat Fafnir's Hurricane Wings. So fulltime'ing -PDT on Fafnir (assuming you're avoiding TP Spam so you're not using Atonement build) would not be efficient, and would only be useful if you were Terror'ed.
 Gilgamesh.Xenhas
サーバ: Gilgamesh
user: Xenhas
By Gilgamesh.Xenhas 2010-02-19 16:01:39  
Quote:
Haubert are better as well, and just require a little Dynamis. And Ares needs you to do a Salvage run or 2.

i lold

shows how much you know

a "little" dynamis and "a run or 2" XD