Research On FFXI: Join In!

Eorzea Time

言語: JP EN FR DE
日本語版のFFXIVPRO利用したい場合は、上記の"JP"を設定して、又はjp.ffxivpro.comを直接に利用してもいいです
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » General » Research on FFXI: Join in!
Research on FFXI: Join in!
 Ramuh.Auroras
サーバ: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: Auroras
By Ramuh.Auroras 2010-02-11 11:48:54  
Hey everyone!
I am currently working on a thesis about Social Identities within FFXI and would love to hear what everyone thinks about the topic so I can add it to my research! Also, if you are interested in being a participant in the interviews I am currently conducting you can email me at ffxianthro@gmail.com or if you are on Ramuh /tell Auroras. The following is some information about the research and then the questions you can answer if you want to :)

~~~
The following forum thread is part of an anthropological research project. All the information written on this thread will be used for an honours research project conducted by myself on the topic of online group and individual identities. You may answer all, some, or none of the questions given in this discussion. If you do not wish to be a part of this research simply do not post an answer to the discussion questions that follow. You may also write at the bottom of your post that you do not wish to have the information you have stated used for the research project. Feel free to add anything about the topic that isn’t covered in the questions asked with the understanding that it may also be used for the research project.
~~~

1. What qualities do you think are necessary for a person to fit into your linkshell?
2. Are there qualities that are not accepted in your linkshell?
3. Do you think that some linkshells have bad reputations and some good reputations?
4. Do you think that these reputations change how you feel about the people within those linkshells?
5. Do you think that people view you differently depending on what linkshell you’re in?
 Ramuh.Urial
user: Urial
By Ramuh.Urial 2010-02-11 12:03:53  
Ramuh.Auroras said:
Hey everyone!
I am currently working on a thesis about Social Identities within FFXI and would love to hear what everyone thinks about the topic so I can add it to my research! Also, if you are interested in being a participant in the interviews I am currently conducting you can email me at ffxianthro@gmail.com or if you are on Ramuh /tell Auroras. The following is some information about the research and then the questions you can answer if you want to :)

~~~
The following forum thread is part of an anthropological research project. All the information written on this thread will be used for an honours research project conducted by myself on the topic of online group and individual identities. You may answer all, some, or none of the questions given in this discussion. If you do not wish to be a part of this research simply do not post an answer to the discussion questions that follow. You may also write at the bottom of your post that you do not wish to have the information you have stated used for the research project. Feel free to add anything about the topic that isn’t covered in the questions asked with the understanding that it may also be used for the research project.
~~~

1. What qualities do you think are necessary for a person to fit into your linkshell?
3. Do you think that some linkshells have bad reputations and some good reputations?
4. Do you think that these reputations change how you feel about the people within those linkshells?
5. Do you think that people view you differently depending on what linkshell you’re in?

1. Relaxed and mildly Insane(not called Asylum for nothing)
2. Liars/Backstabbers and people who are self-centered and only concerned bout themselves.
3. I think the way someone see's a linkshell is based completely on their own run-ins with said linkshell as well as the feelings of their friends/linkshellmates.
4.Depends on how well I know the person but for the most part yes.
5.Absolutely./whispers. I'm the boss.

And as Row said
WOOOHHOOOOOOO Ramuh.

Sylph.Hitetsu
サーバ: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2010-02-11 12:12:40  
Ramuh.Auroras said:

1. Assuming you don't just sit and turn into a drama llama over every little thing, that's all we care about =P

Willingness to help and have fun is always good! Maybe a little friendly MPK'ing each other.

2. Bitching over everything. Having an overinflated ego for some ungodly reason. We had one guy in our LS would talk down on everyone for everything.. He expected me to go find somewhere in England that celebrated Thanksgiving..

3. LS's do get good and bad reputations, dependant on the people they accept. If they take several people that are known for screwing others over, the LS's reputation will start to degrade.

4. On occasion, as Urial said, it depends on how I generally feel about the person. Though I do try to look at everyone's personal actions before the actions of their LS.

5. Probably, though that would depend on how much they knew me =P
 Ramuh.Auroras
By Ramuh.Auroras 2010-02-11 12:30:48  
another question to look at may also be:

do you think people without a linkshell are viewed differently?
 Ramuh.Krizz
user: Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-02-11 12:41:16  
Ramuh.Auroras said:
another question to look at may also be:

do you think people without a linkshell are viewed differently?
Aside from people that have just joined the game, it's not something seen often. Usually they'll get a pearl from the first sackholder that sees them.
Ramuh.Auroras said:
1. Willingness to help others. No drama.

2. So far we haven't kicked anyone, but it nearly happened. Someone just wouldn't drop the issue.

3. Absolutely. I have LSs that I don't want anything to do with because of the members' behavior(s). (Though there are still people I play with from those shells because of individual interaction.)

4. If I haven't personally encountered a problem, no.

5. Maybe. Personally, I don't think anyone has based their view of me off of my LS.

These days so many people LS hop depending on time of day / activity that they aren't really associated with one particular LS.

Also: GO GO RAMUH!
 Fairy.Spiriel
サーバ: Fairy
user: Spiriel
By Fairy.Spiriel 2010-02-11 13:14:33  
- Helpful, a sense of humor, friendly, willing to help others
- Self-absorbed, always demanding help without giving it, being unwilling to accept constructive criticism, rude, etc.
- Absolutely. Some linkshells are known for "bad" behavior, and that reputation spreads.
- Again, absolutely. Someone who's morally opposed to the "bad" behavior won't be comfortable and will quit the shell. Myself, I don't like spending time around someone I know for a fact won't have my back/will ninja-lot.
- More than likely. "omg, they r not in egls, lolol!" Part of how people view you is by your surroundings, and the people you hang out with are definitely your surroundings.
 Ramuh.Auroras
By Ramuh.Auroras 2010-02-11 17:03:47  
thanks guys for the replies! ^.^b

feel free to keep adding anything you think is important, I will be keeping tabs on the forum dicussions I've posted and adding it to the research up until March 1st :)
 Asura.Artemicion
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Artemicion 2010-02-11 17:19:03  
1) Honesty, patience, thick skin, good will and openness to adventure and friendship.

2) Greed, arrogance, intolerance, hypocrisy, or any troll-like behavior.

3 & 4) Without a doubt. Reputations precede us as individuals and as groups as well. One's character can easily be reflected on the people they associate themselves with. This applies to actions of kindness and malevolence as well. But alas, reputation is but a surface above one's character. I've seen many good people in bad shells.

5) Depends entirely on the linkshell and its given reputation. Usually one would have to partake in high level activities to gain reputation among the community, however, I have known many social linkshells that have gained great esteem for their overall sense of kindness and adventure that isn't limited to the high level scene.
 Asura.Israfel
サーバ: Asura
user: Tmuler
By Asura.Israfel 2010-02-11 17:53:38  
a) I look for people with open minds, a good sense of humor, team players, people who would gladly put the needs of others before their own. Honest people, fun people! :o

a) Leeches, people who would make others uncomfortable for the sake of it, drama queens, obnoxious people, arrogant, hypocritical people.... the list goes on.. just think bad thoughts! >:3

a) Yes! I would say this was down to the leader, it's usually their responsibility to make sure that members conduct themselves accordingly. If the leader is a bad person, this generally reflects itself with the caliber of recruits they have.

a) Yes, though I do try to keep an open mind with people, it's hard sometimes. If someone is happy being in a bad linkshell (bad as in bots, killsteals, conduct general asshattishness... if that is even a word), then that says a lot for the person(s) in the linkshell.

a) Depends on the linkshell! If I'm with a good group of people I'd hope that people would see me as a good person. I'd never join a linkshell that had a bad reputation, so I hope that reflects well on me as a player and as a person.

Good luck with your research!~
-Rin
 Bahamut.Ahura
サーバ: Bahamut
user: ahuralove
By Bahamut.Ahura 2010-02-11 18:17:26  
erm genrallt laid back people.
not really arguments are fun to watch XD YAY SOME PEOPLE HAVE NO LIFE
dont care really
nope as i said dont care
well people viwe me differently cos i am HEMAN aka bst >.> so i dont think they get to the linkshell point before they make up thier mind i am a either hate or love me kindof of person XD

EDIT: can i has cookie now please?
 Fenrir.Wynnia
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Wynnia
By Fenrir.Wynnia 2010-02-11 18:29:28  
Ramuh.Auroras said:

First and foremost, you have to abide by all of the LS rules. Not just the ones that benefit you at the time, but all of them.
Quote:

Inability to follow directions, disrespecting the shell and it's members, doing anything that might tarnish the name of the linkshell.
Quote:

Of course. The actions of a shell's members, whether they're sanctioned by the shell or not, can reflect either positively or negatively on the shell.
Quote:

If you surround yourself with idiots, chances are I'm going to assume you're an idiot.
Quote:

At first glance, of course they do. It goes back to number four. The people you keep around you will reflect upon you.
 Ramuh.Blackwatyr
By Ramuh.Blackwatyr 2010-02-12 13:49:55  
1. What qualities do you think are necessary for a person to fit into your linkshell? For my LS the one thing I would say is have a desire to do various events with one another is the biggest thing. It's hard to say my LS is comprised of people that used to play together of various personalities but it just works. This is why we have new members trial before they become full members. It's lets us see they can mesh well with everybody in the shell

2. Are there qualities that are not accepted in your linkshell? People that just want to talk and never do anything other then when they need it for them self. Once again this is why we trial members way to many people play this game join a group to get help with something only to ignore you once they got what they needed. I think overall people like helping one another do stuff but get burned form a tard or two. Then decide to not do anything because they might get burned and only help a small group of friends

3. Do you think that some linkshells have bad reputations and some good reputations? Yes, I also think it's easier to get a bad rep from one or two bad members then 10-20 good members. I've seen a few bad members bring down very good shells overall. Once again this is why my shell trials members learned from past mistakes

4. Do you think that these reputations change how you feel about the people within those linkshells? They don't change how I feel about people I know but they do leave a mark on the people in said shell I don't know. If a shell is bad in my eyes I'll be wary of it's members I've never met. At the same time if I shell is good in my eyes I'll be more open to it's members.

5. Do you think that people view you differently depending on what linkshell you’re in? Yes and no if you are in a shell that is extremely unliked by the server as a whole then yes. If you are in a small social shells then not really
 Gilgamesh.Andras
サーバ: Gilgamesh
user: Andras
By Gilgamesh.Andras 2010-02-12 14:42:43  
1. Not being an ***.

2. Being an ***.

3. Hell yeah.

4. Depends what the LS did, if it was something like botting then no, but if the LS was scamming and hacking then yes I would feel different about people I know in this LS.

5. Yeah, some people may think "Omg what a *** ***" if you're in a certain LS and others might think "Wow I want to be like him one day"
 Gilgamesh.Lunatone
サーバ: Gilgamesh
user: Lunatone
By Gilgamesh.Lunatone 2010-02-12 15:19:17  
1] Not being a complete dumbass

2] Being a dumbass

3] indeed

4]I say The LS leader is responsible for the actions of the shell, the reputation of the shell is ultimatley imo the reputation of the leader, and the actions of a shell whether it be scamming, or monopolizing are all reflections of the leader's will.

5] Yes i believe people do, like when i see people in a certain shell on my server i laugh at the fact that they are in it, that they are..nvm not flamin anyone lol. But others may look at them and be like whoa, i'd like to have that gear, or i'd like to be in that shell one day
 Ifrit.Itazura
サーバ: Ifrit
user: Itazura
By Ifrit.Itazura 2010-02-13 17:01:18  
Ramuh.Auroras said:
Hey everyone!

Friendly, and willing to make the effort to get along with others in the LS. Cannot be too selfish; should be willing to help others for the sake of helping from time to time.

At least to some degree, enjoy the company of others in the LS--no reason to join, otherwise.

Ramuh.Auroras said:

Antisocial behaviors. Someone who intentionally or otherwise make others angry or distressed, and continue to do so even after being asked to tone it down.

Excessive selfishness; quo pro quo is fine up to a point, but manipulating and using others, especially for self-centered purposes, is not right.

Botting and RMT activities (buying or selling) are also not welcomed.

Ramuh.Auroras said:

That's a given for many famous LS's.

Ramuh.Auroras said:

Yes.

Ramuh.Auroras said:

Not so much myself personally, since I have no associations with any of the famous LS's. I'd image it'd be different for people who are in (in)famous linkshells.

Why don't you directly ask how does putting on different LS pearls alters (or not) how a person act or interact within the game?

Or how those who keep moving from linkshell to linkshell (or better, yet, cross servers) change their outlook and self-perception?

Do people for the most part adopt social identities for the circumstances they find themselves in, or do they seek the environments where they can assume a social persona which (better) match their image of themselves or their ideal selves?

=b

Remora.Mataniah
サーバ: Remora
user: Mataniah
By Remora.Mataniah 2010-02-14 11:25:12  
Ramuh.Auroras said:
Hey everyone! I am currently working on a thesis about Social Identities within FFXI and would love to hear what everyone thinks about the topic so I can add it to my research! Also, if you are interested in being a participant in the interviews I am currently conducting you can email me at ffxianthro@gmail.com or if you are on Ramuh /tell Auroras. The following is some information about the research and then the questions you can answer if you want to :) ~~~ The following forum thread is part of an anthropological research project. All the information written on this thread will be used for an honours research project conducted by myself on the topic of online group and individual identities. You may answer all, some, or none of the questions given in this discussion. If you do not wish to be a part of this research simply do not post an answer to the discussion questions that follow. You may also write at the bottom of your post that you do not wish to have the information you have stated used for the research project. Feel free to add anything about the topic that isn’t covered in the questions asked with the understanding that it may also be used for the research project. ~~~ 1. What qualities do you think are necessary for a person to fit into your linkshell? 2. Are there qualities that are not accepted in your linkshell? 3. Do you think that some linkshells have bad reputations and some good reputations? 4. Do you think that these reputations change how you feel about the people within those linkshells? 5. Do you think that people view you differently depending on what linkshell you’re in?

1. To be your self
2. Asshats or Egolistic fools.
3. To eachs own. Like mamma says "If you got nothing nice to say, don't say anything"
4. If they did, i'm taking the game a little too serious.
5. No only because i don't care. Reason i don't is because i'm part of the named ls for whatever reason is suitiable to me, not to others.

NOTE: let us know what your research tells you about the game! or i'd like to know anyway. GL!