users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Thief » THF Gear for Charybdis
THF Gear for Charybdis
 Bahamut.Bojack
サーバ: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Bojack316
By Bahamut.Bojack 2010-03-16 19:43:53  
Could I get some opinions for the ideal gearset (or close to) for duo'ing Charybdis with a RDM (food too)?

I'm thinking

Blau/Sirocco/Ungur/Empty
Ohat/EvaTorque/Ethereal/Elusive
SH+1/WarGloves/Wivre/Wivre
Boxers/Scouters/Crow/Dance
 Bahamut.Raenryong
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-03-16 19:49:58  
Hands: Master Caster Mitts if latent works, otherwise something like Patrician's Cuffs
Rings: Wivre Rings, maybe -PDT rings
Legs: Crow/Raven Hose if you don't mind the -enmity. If you do, wear something with PDT like Darksteel Subligar methinks.
Feet: Dance Shoes/I can't remember what they're called but they come from the past.
 Ramuh.Tousou
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Toufu
By Ramuh.Tousou 2010-03-16 19:51:26  
Bahamut.Raenryong said:
Feet: Dance Shoes/I can't remember what they're called but they come from the past.

Emissary Boots
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-03-16 19:53:25  
They're the ones!
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-03-16 19:54:03  
EDIT: Oh, didn't see about food. You will probably want sushi with that gearset so you still actually hit ;p

EDIT: THAT WAS NOT AN EDIT WTF THAT WAS A NEW POST I AM SO TIRED
 Bahamut.Bojack
By Bahamut.Bojack 2010-03-16 20:00:55  
What are some good PDT rings? I can only think of Patronus (what's 2%) and Jelly (+5 MDT seems bad for some of his TP moves).
 Bahamut.Bojack
By Bahamut.Bojack 2010-03-16 20:04:22  
Oh, yea I planned on it.
 Bahamut.Rocha
user: aaron3126
By Bahamut.Rocha 2010-03-16 20:06:29  

that's what i used on charby and so far i never died and never in real danger on 3/3 joytoys as thf/nin, rdm/nin duo
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-03-16 20:17:22  
Quote:
What are some good PDT rings? I can only think of Patronus (what's 2%) and Jelly (+5 MDT seems bad for some of his TP moves).

Pretty much those + Defending Ring (yeah right); it's only the physical abilities of Charybdis which are really dangerous in terms of damage (Cross Attack in particular) so I wouldn't worry about taking slightly more from magic if you are protecting yourself against the real threat.
 Bahamut.Bojack
By Bahamut.Bojack 2010-03-16 20:17:34  

How's This? 4/4 Eva Merits also.

Utsu Swap - Turban, Swift, Homam Gloves/Pants/Feet.
 Bahamut.Bojack
By Bahamut.Bojack 2010-03-16 20:18:48  
True. What would you recommend then, Wivre/Jelly? or Jelly/Patronus?
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-03-16 20:22:08  
That looks like it'll work. Don't get disheartened if it doesn't since Evasion is basically playing with luck... good preparation/gear can only reduce the odds of you getting screwed over :p

I'd stick with double Wivre and swap to Jelly/Patronus if you fear a hit may be incoming (shadows down, no chance to get them up perhaps). It's a tricky subject because increasing evasion is basically like adding a chance of 100% damage reduction, whereas increasing damage reduction is just adding a static amount. Difficult to say when each is best.

Realistically though, as long as the RDM keeps up Para/Slow/Blind, only Cross Attack is likely to be a threat.

EDIT: Can also use Bio2/3 if you want to play it -really- safe. It's up to you really... I don't think anyone would mind taking 5 minutes extra to kill Charybdis if it has 0 risk involved.
 Asura.Shamaya
サーバ: Asura
user: Shamaya
By Asura.Shamaya 2010-03-16 23:26:00  
OP, your set will be overkill cuz Charby is easy. But like anything he does have some wild cards up his sleeve. For example, if your shadows are down and he suddenly lands a full round of attacks that all happen to hit, or that one WS that manages to hit (rare, but possible), you can be one shotted or close to it. But usually, he just wiffs like a blind bat and you'll have your shadows up and be able to immediately re-apply them whenever he uses that AOE TP move.

If you wanna tweak yourself to be even better I have the following advice:
*You can try a 2nd weapon that has higher delay and base damage than sirocco, increasing your (dmg dealt):(tp fed) ratio.
*You would probably be much better off tp'ing in some things like dragon harness, peiste belt +1, rajas, or other subtle blow gear. Use evasion for the rest of the other slots. Since he's blind as hell and you have a rdm with you, there's no point in feeding him more TP than you have to. Switching to some subtle blow will just make the fight that much smoother.
*If you do go this route, keep your full evasion set macro'd anyway. If your low on shadows and your shadow timers aren't looking good, switch temporarily to full evasion. If the mob has just TP moved and your shadows are down, keep your full evasion set on unless you're casting ni.
*I don't know about you, but my ni set is full haste and as much evasion as I can get otherwise. For Ichi, I cast in full evasion. If I'm confident that the mob's attack round will not go off around the 60-100% mark of my cast, I switch to the utsu ni set for better recast. If I think it's possible that the mob will hit me, I'll keep on the full evasion set for the full cast if the mob is any bit difficult.
*Others might disagree with me but I'm 100% confident and will give you my personal guarantee that Carbonara is the best food you can use for this fight. Just for the extra HP. If you're a taru or if you feel your HP is too low, you're probably better off full-timing a bomb queen than ever using another wivre ring +1 or DD ring. On most difficult mobs where you're hard-pressed to evade the enemy even with your killer thief evasion, this usually means that they also have one or more TP moves that can one shot you if done at the wrong time. Or are the type of mob that can possibly double or triple attack you and land all 3 hits and even crit them all for massive damage. Once your evasion is taken care of to a certain level, HP becomes a very important issue for many difficult fights, because over time there is a sizable risk of something like this happening. Chances are, you'll be fine and the HP will have done nothing that time around, and the fight would have been faster with pizza or sushi (really, jack o' lantern would be overkill and usually isn't worth it IMO), but there's no point in taking extra risks if going w/ the more expensive food is worth the price to you.
 Asura.Shamaya
サーバ: Asura
user: Shamaya
By Asura.Shamaya 2010-03-16 23:28:24  
Per what I mentioned in the above post, BQ ring will do more in this fight for you and in more difficult fights than a jelly ring. You're not concerned about lowering overall damage taken over time and minimizing MP costs (which is what Jelly would be useful for). You're concerned with preventing the rare but very present possibility of the mob one-shotting you (something that actually does matter). Of course you can't just walmart a BQ ring, but it is a pretty easy fight.
 Bahamut.Bojack
By Bahamut.Bojack 2010-03-17 00:03:26  
it'll be something I can try out the more I kill on thf. I'd rather have overkill than not enough at the beginning. Then maybe make adjustments and take out a few of the less eva+ pieces.
 Remora.Laphine
サーバ: Remora
By Remora.Laphine 2010-03-17 00:26:45  
do you have aura steal bojack? Chary eva boost is another note on the over kill. That boost lasts longer than our steal recast iirc lol. If you have that + blind, i really think the best way to make it even more safe is to use subtle blow.
 Caitsith.Neonracer
サーバ: Caitsith
user: Neonracer
By Caitsith.Neonracer 2010-03-17 00:35:10  
Hey guys... Why don't you try all gets sets, and reply back.. see what works. I'm sure all work.. but to find out defintatley what IS the best, will determine the outcome on what set up works better, IMO!

.. but in all honesty, if any set works then all the power to anyone.
 Bismarck.Ihina
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2010-03-18 06:54:38  
Have the rdm keep blind on it and kill it in your TP gear. You'll be ok. No point to overdo it with evasion gear since it's already easy to hit the evasion cap on this guy.
 Caitsith.Blurr
サーバ: Caitsith
user: blurr69
By Caitsith.Blurr 2010-03-18 07:16:52  
yeah ive duod him, being thf, many many times in career. my eva sets have ranged from meh, to pretty straight. long as you keep debuffs on, really any avg eva tank will do. gotta make sure buffs are kept up on yourself too of course. the biggest trick of all is to have minimal melee on it, ideally one even, and just "take your time" since theres no rage or anything. dots also help speed it up~
 Pandemonium.Machiaveli
サーバ: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Machiaveli 2010-03-18 08:18:54  
This might interest you since I see you got NIN 75
 Pandemonium.Despain
サーバ: Pandemonium
user: Parhelia
By Pandemonium.Despain 2010-03-30 22:33:49  
Bahamut.Bojack said:
Could I get some opinions for the ideal gearset (or close to) for duo'ing Charybdis with a RDM (food too)?

I'm thinking

Blau/Sirocco/Ungur/Empty
Ohat/EvaTorque/Ethereal/Elusive
SH 1/WarGloves/Wivre/Wivre
Boxers/Scouters/Crow/Dance

Don't even have to go through all this trouble on evasion. Hell, you don't even have to bother with swapping in Haste for Utsu/Ni. I've yet to tank Charybdis on THF without a BRD, however. Even a COR's Ninja Roll is sufficient depending on the number.

I also found Bibiki Seashell > Ungurang. Not that extraordinary, however if the intimidation kicks in, that right there buys you at least 5~8 seconds for your timers, since Charybdis takes forever to attack.