users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » Shield Skill vs. Byakko
Shield Skill vs. Byakko
 Cerberus.Eanae
サーバ: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Eanae
By Cerberus.Eanae 2010-04-29 12:04:05  
You only need fast cast at the start of the cast, and can switch it out as soon as your cast starts.
 Bismarck.Altar
サーバ: Bismarck
user: altar1
By Bismarck.Altar 2010-04-29 12:05:47  
Cerberus.Eanae said:
There is no reason to ever use a shield other than Kaiser, Terror, or Aegis. If you need a buckler sized shield to keep shadows up, please learn to count to 3 better, or play another job.

Hello Nms. Shield +1

(Though I do agree about the buckler)
 Bahamut.Stanflame
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Stanflame
By Bahamut.Stanflame 2010-04-29 12:12:05  
Cerberus.Eanae said:
You only need fast cast at the start of the cast, and can switch it out as soon as your cast starts.

Yeah I always have a problem with my macro's I want to fit everything in it would make it easier but i can not. So f fast cast is only needed at the start it can switch out for buckler, and back to original set?

Either way it still involves me casting, and when casting hitting my shield skill macro. If i can do what you said, I will have no need for buckler in the shield skill macro set. Or pretty much as soon as it starts to cast just hit shield skill.

Pld is way different than using fast cast on other jobs I know I only need it at the start but with pld no room in macros.
 Bahamut.Stanflame
By Bahamut.Stanflame 2010-04-29 12:13:36  
Bismarck.Altar said:
Cerberus.Eanae said:
There is no reason to ever use a shield other than Kaiser, Terror, or Aegis. If you need a buckler sized shield to keep shadows up, please learn to count to 3 better, or play another job.

Hello Item Not Found!

(Though I do agree about the buckler)
I'll buy one of those and that is for fire resist, working on a set.
 Cerberus.Eanae
By Cerberus.Eanae 2010-04-29 12:15:10  
Bahamut.Stanflame said:
Cerberus.Eanae said:

Yeah I always have a problem with my macro's I want to fit everything in it would make it easier but i can not. So f fast cast is only needed at the start it can switch out for buckler, and back to original set?

Either way it still involves me casting, and when casting hitting my shield skill macro. If i can do what you said, I will have no need for buckler in the shield skill macro set. Or pretty much as soon as it starts to cast just hit shield skill.

Pld is way different than using fast cast on other jobs I know I only need it at the start but with pld no room in macros.

Use windower scripts: http://windower.net/scripting/guides/gen_guide
[+]
 Bahamut.Stanflame
By Bahamut.Stanflame 2010-04-29 12:27:54  
Cerberus.Eanae said:
Bahamut.Stanflame said:
Cerberus.Eanae said:

Use windower scripts: http://windower.net/scripting/guides/gen_guide

Yeah I should.
 Leviathan.Abriel
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Abriel
By Leviathan.Abriel 2010-04-29 13:44:42  
sipar 's a good skill-up shield if you can get it, it blocks next to no dmg, but breaks the proc. rate cap (not sure if it's got it's own block rate or it's just able to break cap, tossed mine berfore testing). I wouldn't count out simba buckler (it's not terrible, but it's dmg reduction doesn't match up to size 3s with similar def) koenig and terror (not really going to comment on aegis since it's a given) are better in pretty much all cases though. I'd also like to add that palmerin's shield isn't a bad choice for being a cheapo, probably one of the better shields from a purely defensive stand point considering it's def rating, being a kite shield (size 3) and -dmg properties (it can also be augmented).
 Diabolos.Torazalinto
サーバ: Diabolos
By Diabolos.Torazalinto 2010-04-30 09:04:52  
Leviathan.Abriel said:
sipar 's a good skill-up shield if you can get it, it blocks next to no dmg, but breaks the proc. rate cap (not sure if it's got it's own block rate or it's just able to break cap, tossed mine berfore testing). I wouldn't count out simba buckler (it's not terrible, but it's dmg reduction doesn't match up to size 3s with similar def) koenig and terror (not really going to comment on aegis since it's a given) are better in pretty much all cases though. I'd also like to add that palmerin's shield isn't a bad choice for being a cheapo, probably one of the better shields from a purely defensive stand point considering it's def rating, being a kite shield (size 3) and -dmg properties (it can also be augmented).

I've been considering picking a Palmerin for Dynamis. I believe the -2%DT will work more in my favor than koenigs 3 enmity. And since it's so cheap I can try to get some augments on it (maybe even enmity! :))
 Fenrir.Krazyrs
サーバ: Fenrir
user: krazyrs
By Fenrir.Krazyrs 2010-04-30 11:36:53  
Quote:
something I can do for my ichi is have the ethereal earring taken out for buckler or loq. Problem is having enough space in ichi macro to equip ethereal back on for buckler...

i run spellcast with .xml files
little more advanced then script but it does wonders

just the small things u can do with it like locking Parade Gorget to neck if HPGT 85% or Herc Ring if HPLT50%
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
サーバ: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-04-30 11:43:34  
@Tora: Should have a 1% dmg reduction on blocks over Koenig.
 Cerberus.Eanae
By Cerberus.Eanae 2010-04-30 15:55:02  
Or don't be a gimp and stop bringing Paladins to dynamis...
[+]
 Ifrit.Showmo
サーバ: Ifrit
user: showmo456
By Ifrit.Showmo 2010-04-30 16:16:23  
Leviathan.Willoflame said:
Yoshikiii, if you're having trouble tanking byakko (i.e dying), let me give you a few tips that have kept all of my tanks alive on him for as long as I can remember.

Item Set

This shield/defense build is sufficient enough to keep you alive. It doesn't offer the excessive amount of shield skill that a lot of these other endgame PLDs have, but this will work. I also included exerts from my defense build as well. When using a shield setup, you should use as much DEFENSE as you can with it, because if you're using a shield setup, chances are, you'll be taking damage.

BRD elegy can be a pain some times, but my BRDs don't have problems landing it on him. If your RDM is not enfeebling, this is a problem as well. He is susceptible to Slow, Paralyze, and Blind. Make sure all 3 of those are on, as well as Bio (to weaken attacks). What I do is watch the RDMs cast their spells and see if they land it or not. Believe it or not, some endgame RDMs will just cast it and not even pay attention to see if it lands or not. So just double-check them.

The real problem comes when he uses TP moves in conjunction with his stupidly high triple attack rate. He will basically triple attack every 1 in 3 hits. (so 33% rate). Sometimes its even every other hit. So you will need to pay close attention to it. Diaga sucks as well. Keep your shadows at 2, it's a safe bet, really. Once you hit 2 shadows, start casting your ichi right before Byakko attacks you. If it doesn't triple attack, just cancel your current shadows... If it does triple attack, just pray that your shield blocks that last attack.

Most PLDs may bash me for this, but I strongly recommend tanking this in a full shield setup. You'll be losing your gear haste for the most part, but you won't regret it when byakko uses triple attack > razor fang. But as far as I know, as long as you're getting haste + marchx2, you should be fine on tanking this NM. You really don't want to be blinking every time you cast utsusemi because it can be a pain for healers (I've been there!) to target you again, and give you the appropriate heals/status removals in time.

Willoflame's post is some of the best advice you can take. Idle in Shield/PDT/DEF/VIT gear over haste for Byakko & macro in haste for Utsusemi if your mages can handle the blinking.

You don't know how many times I've seen Byakko 1 shot well geared/optimized PLD/NIN in squishy haste gear, including myself with Reprisal up & 0 shield blocks with over 300+ shield skill. Diaga III -> Triple Attack -> Claw Cyclone or just Triple Attacks with no shield blocks & crit hits is all it takes to kill your tanks from full HP in 3 seconds.
 Leviathan.Celestinia
By Leviathan.Celestinia 2010-04-30 16:23:10  
Pretty much the only way to go on Byakko is to full time shield skill gear, will is spot on haste doesnt do you ***when he TP moves then tripple attacks back to back only thing that will save your *** a lot of times is shield mitigation.

Marchx2 and haste plus macro'd haste gear for utsu Ni is all you need for shadows.

I would strongly reccomend against low man for byakko if you arn't experianced with him and have considerably well geared/experianced friends.

That blm solo strat makes me cringe....
 Leviathan.Abriel
By Leviathan.Abriel 2010-04-30 17:12:41  
pld/nin using tp gear when engaged-idle for dangerous enemies (anything you're guaranteed to take substantial damage from) is phail. I'll say it again, learn how AND when to use your gear sets.

with a proper tp build you can expect to die as fast as any DD when ***hits the fan, in this type of build you have no gear dedicated to defense (don't expect your native shield skill to do too much w/o skill gear either). the goal of this gear set is to allow you to assist hate generation through damage spikes, you'll be feeding the enemy massive amounts of tp in return for assisting with dealing damage. this build isn't meant for every enemy and should be the last priority for gear sets, being able to survive hate more easily than other tanks with less effort is pld's strong point.

hybird builds with defensive type gear (shield skill and -damg) and haste gear are good for beginners that have a co-tank, but for a seasoned tank that's expected to solo tank dangerous enemies you really want specialized gear sets along with support that can accommodate an invisible character. the performance increase is just too great to overlook and there are many in-game tools that allow the detriment of blinking to be overlooked (any main healer showing their worth will create macros on the spot to specifically take actions on the main tank, another option is SE's implementation of <stpt><stal>).

when I'm able to use a tp build as pld/nin I still keep a hot swap for a purely defensive build ready (I'm still swapping into a highly defensive gear for ichi casting), this becomes very useful for the last 25% of an enemy's health where you can expect to see dangerous moves used much more often. I tend to use more than several gear sets for pld; full shield + -dmg/p.dmg with hp for defensive engaged-idle, full haste with acc for tp, full -dmg/m.dmg for magic, full haste with hp for ni, full shield with -dmg/p.dmg and haste for ichi, full haste with enmity for flash, full enmity for cures and job abilities, -hp for cure cheat.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-04-30 17:14:20  
Byakko is too evasive to TP on properly with Paladin anyway. This is a turtle fight!
 Hades.Excelior
サーバ: Hades
user: Excelior
By Hades.Excelior 2010-04-30 17:23:22  
Jesus people throw a wind on the thing, why make this so complicated?
 Bismarck.Aryden
user: Aryden
By Bismarck.Aryden 2010-05-03 02:11:25  
Bismarck.Altar said:
Siren.Vise said:
Byakko is one of them mobs however that no matter what gear you have, how awesome you think you are, if he wants to go SSJ on your *** he will.

This.
idc how amazingly skilled/geared you are, diaga > triple attack > razor fang > triple attack will leave you face down. Unless you're an elvaan.

Bah he drops Elves too you fool.

Quote:
Byakko is too evasive to TP on properly with Paladin anyway. This is a turtle fight!

Failsauce, I tank him in +shield gear and still manage to get atonements off on him.

Quote:
Willoflame's post is some of the best advice you can take. Idle in Shield/PDT/DEF/VIT gear over haste for Byakko & macro in haste for Utsusemi if your mages can handle the blinking.

Shield/PDT yes, Def and Vit... No. If you have slots open after your shield and PDT set is done, pile in +hp depending on your race. No matter what else, youre probably going to catch those situations where he goes apeshit on you, it's happend to me within 20 secs of a fight and having a few extra HP to attempt to survive can be beneficial, but its going to depend entirely on what you have for shield/PDT setups.
[+]
 Bismarck.Altar
user: altar1
By Bismarck.Altar 2010-05-03 02:20:43  
Elvaan die facing up.
[+]
 Bismarck.Aryden
user: Aryden
By Bismarck.Aryden 2010-05-03 17:18:30  
Humes die facing down so you can kiss our ***... lol
 Leviathan.Willoflame
By Leviathan.Willoflame 2010-05-03 18:27:20  
Bismarck.Aryden said:
Bismarck.Altar said:
Quote:

Shield/PDT yes, Def and Vit... No. If you have slots open after your shield and PDT set is done, pile in hp depending on your race. No matter what else, youre probably going to catch those situations where he goes apeshit on you, it's happend to me within 20 secs of a fight and having a few extra HP to attempt to survive can be beneficial, but its going to depend entirely on what you have for shield/PDT setups.

As far as DEF and VIT goes, it's perfectly acceptable to use either DEF+ or HP+ depending on your current wallet standings. You're going to find that DEF+VIT in small amounts won't make much of a difference, whereas HP will. Though, the build that I had posted is near perfect, excluding maybe a few things.

And to address the blinking thing, yes you *should* blink, but it just depends on how familiar you are with your mages. If they're not so good, lol.... Well, don't blink! But if they're good ones, blink away!
[+]
 Ragnarok.Mommysboy
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Averel
By Ragnarok.Mommysboy 2010-05-03 18:39:01  
//load blinkmenot
 Leviathan.Willoflame
By Leviathan.Willoflame 2010-05-03 18:45:04  
Ragnarok.Mommysboy said:
//load blinkmenot
Unfortunately, not all people play on PC.
[+]
 Leviathan.Abriel
By Leviathan.Abriel 2010-05-03 20:59:35  
it doesn't take a rocket scientist to type a main tank's name into a macro (or even <stpt><stal>, though they can be slow to use), if a main healer can't do as much for their top priority I just don't know what to say.