users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Endgame » Salvage/Assault » Salvage advice
Salvage advice
 Shiva.Superdan
サーバ: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: SuperDan
By Shiva.Superdan 2010-04-24 18:42:30  
Right, so I've been thinking of doing some Salvage for a while now. However I do not want anything too serious, or where I'm obligated to go, so I've been asking a few friends in my social Linkshell, and had a little interest. We're all interested in trying it out, in roughly 8 man groups, and working out the kinks ourselves. None of us has done Salvage before, but we've dabbled in other endgame activities.

I've been looking around for guides and such, however I thought I'd ask peoples opinions here too. I'm just wondering if there's any advice you would give an new group, such as best abilities to unlock first, any mobs we should watch out for, what job combination's are good for our size groups etc.

Bear in mind that, while we've all got decent gear/merits, we're not exactly running around in Hachiryu and sporting relic weapons. I think most of us (if not all) have done some events such as Dyna/Sky/Limbus etc though.

Any advice would be helpful, thanks in advance.
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
サーバ: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-04-24 18:44:01  
Can start here, the other threads are buried in BG

http://www.bluegartr.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45291
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-04-24 18:58:08  
Did a little digging
http://www.bluegartr.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45293
http://www.bluegartr.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42012
http://www.bluegartr.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45292
[+]
 Shiva.Superdan
By Shiva.Superdan 2010-04-24 19:42:29  
Thanks a lot, these threads look great^^
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-04-24 19:45:40  
You're welcome
 Odin.Blazza
サーバ: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-04-25 00:20:07  
Shiva.Superdan said:
I've been thinking of doing some Salvage for a while now. However I do not want anything too serious
You're doing it wrong.

As trollish as this sounds, I'm being completely serious. If you plan on doing Salvage, take it seriously, because it requires a HELL of a lot of work, (or a hell of a lot of luck) to get anything out of it.

My group has been doing Salvage once a week for probably about a year now, we ALWAYS kill what we set out to kill, finish most of our NM farms with the boss as well, and we've finished a grand total of 8 pieces between as many people, some of those were half started when we began.

So yeah, while I apologise for not reading any of this thread past the first sentence, I just want to say to make sure you know exactly what you're getting into before you commit to anything, as anyone will tell you, it's a lot of work.
[+]
 Bahamut.Stanflame
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Stanflame
By Bahamut.Stanflame 2010-04-25 00:25:23  
Odin.Blazza said:
Shiva.Superdan said:
I've been thinking of doing some Salvage for a while now. However I do not want anything too serious
You're doing it wrong.

As trollish as this sounds, I'm being completely serious. If you plan on doing Salvage, take it seriously, because it requires a HELL of a lot of work, (or a hell of a lot of luck) to get anything out of it.

My group has been doing Salvage once a week for probably about a year now, we ALWAYS kill what we set out to kill, finish most of our NM farms with the boss as well, and we've finished a grand total of 8 pieces between as many people, some of those were half started when we began.

So yeah, while I apologise for not reading any of this thread past the first sentence, I just want to say to make sure you know exactly what you're getting into before you commit to anything, as anyone will tell you, it's a lot of work.

Ignore this guy, OP.
 Sylph.Oddin
user: Oddin
By Sylph.Oddin 2010-04-25 00:48:26  
Bahamut.Stanflame said:
Odin.Blazza said:
Shiva.Superdan said:
You're doing it wrong.

Ignore this guy, OP.

Because...? He's not wrong. If you seriously want anything out of Salvage, you need to go at least 3 times a week. Ask anyone with a full set of anything how often they go. Most will tell you at one point they were going 5 times a week or more. This ***does take forever to drop so be prepared for the long haul. I've been doing it off and on for 3 years now and I have 3 finished pieces and a couple 2/3s.
[+]
By Bukka 2010-04-25 01:00:13  
Sylph.Oddin said:
Bahamut.Stanflame said:
Odin.Blazza said:
Shiva.Superdan said:
You're doing it wrong.

Ignore this guy, OP.

Because...? He's not wrong. If you seriously want anything out of Salvage, you need to go at least 3 times a week. Ask anyone with a full set of anything how often they go. Most will tell you at one point they were going 5 times a week or more. This ***does take forever to drop so be prepared for the long haul. I've been doing it off and on for 3 years now and I have 3 finished pieces and a couple 2/3s.

This. I'd suggest atleast 3x a week if you really want to get things done, the more the better.
 Bahamut.Paulus
user: Paulus
By Bahamut.Paulus 2010-04-25 01:01:06  
Blazza is right. My group first started going out 2 maybe 3 time a week. We got a few pieces here and there. Then we figured out how horrible the 35 pieces were to get and started going more.

Your friends can probably make up 3-4 members of the group and you can fill out the rest with other solid people.

You should take into account the assault ranks of all of your members and which assaults you can do together to get points. You'll find some people just will get points on their own and never are a problem while some will always expect you to help them get points.

Some members will have to do two assaults for every one permit which can sometimes be annoying as it limits how many times they can go per week.

Just be prepared to manage many many people as you'll get some people that aren't going to be serious enough to go to finish an entire set. Be prepared to rebuild your static
several times.

We document all of our rules and such. Many groups are less formal but here's how we deal with some of the challenges.

All of the "retired" people are folks that just decided that doing salvage wasn't really for them or quit or just had RL issues.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=rTSttpdm2-F-Ma4hZc5BqdA

Bahamut.Stanflame
By Bahamut.Stanflame 2010-04-25 01:03:54  
Sylph.Oddin said:
Bahamut.Stanflame said:
Odin.Blazza said:
Shiva.Superdan said:
You're doing it wrong.

Ignore this guy, OP.

Cry me a river?

Do not scare OP is all I was trying to say. I think he knows how much dedication salvage takes. Stop acting like a know it all may be he *** does not want to do it 7 days a week? May be he has a life? busy? wanted to try it out before the new content comes in?

Why are you telling me this? I have done salvage before I could careless about what you have been through.
 Sylph.Oddin
By Sylph.Oddin 2010-04-25 01:16:51  
Bahamut.Stanflame said:
Sylph.Oddin said:
Bahamut.Stanflame said:
Odin.Blazza said:
Shiva.Superdan said:
You're doing it wrong.

Ignore this guy, OP.

Cry me a river?

Do not scare OP is all I was trying to say. I think he knows how much dedication salvage takes. Stop acting like a know it all may be he *** does not want to do it 7 days a week? May be he has a life? busy? wanted to try it out before the new content comes in?

Why are you telling me this? I have done salvage before I could careless about what you have been through.

Oh the many ways to make you seem like an idiot. Here goes!

1. The name of the thread is Salvage Advice. I'm offering the OP advice that contradicts your so called advice. Next time you want to make a point, it helps if you actually, you know, make one. Telling the OP to ignore something without stating why they should ignore it makes you look like an idiot.

2. Apparently he doesn't know what kind of dedication it takes when he's asking about Salvage and has no experience. The whole point of the thread was to get others' input on things about Salvage which everyone but you seem to be doing.

3. Did I say he had to go once a day? Ever? I believe the suggestion I made was at least 3 times a week. Perhaps if you actually read people's posts instead of trying to think up clever ways of flaming said posts, you'd of noticed that little tidbit.

4. The one and only thing directed at you was the first sentence. You want to disagree with someone, then state why you disagree. The rest of the comment was me telling the OP why you're wrong. It helps when you actually provide an in depth response to inquires.

Now build a bridge and get over yourself. Dumbass.
 Bahamut.Stanflame
By Bahamut.Stanflame 2010-04-25 01:22:21  
Sylph.Oddin said:
Bahamut.Stanflame said:
Sylph.Oddin said:
Bahamut.Stanflame said:
Odin.Blazza said:
Shiva.Superdan said:
You're doing it wrong.

Ignore this guy, OP.

Cry me a river?

1. The name of the thread is Salvage Advice. I'm offering the OP advice that contradicts your so called advice. Next time you want to make a point, it helps if you actually, you know, make one. Telling the OP to ignore something without stating why they should ignore it makes you look like an idiot.

2. Apparently he doesn't know what kind of dedication it takes when he's asking about Salvage and has no experience. The whole point of the thread was to get others' input on things about Salvage which everyone but you seem to be doing.

3. Did I say he had to go once a day? Ever? I believe the suggestion I made was at least 3 times a week. Perhaps if you actually read people's posts instead of trying to think up clever ways of flaming said posts, you'd of noticed that little tidbit.

4. The one and only thing directed at you was the first sentence. You want to disagree with someone, then state why you disagree. The rest of the comment was me telling the OP why you're wrong. It helps when you actually provide an in depth response to inquires.

Since you are taking this seriously, cry more again. LOL

Salvage is serious BUSINESS, all you freaking have. Go out and get laid virgin, that is if you even can.
 Sylph.Oddin
By Sylph.Oddin 2010-04-25 01:26:32  
Bahamut.Stanflame said:
Sylph.Oddin said:
Bahamut.Stanflame said:
Sylph.Oddin said:
Bahamut.Stanflame said:
Odin.Blazza said:
Shiva.Superdan said:
You're doing it wrong.

Ignore this guy, OP.

Cry me a river?

Since you are taking this seriously, cry more again. LOL

Salvage is serious BUSINESS, all you freaking have. Go out and get laid virgin, that is if you even can.

See? You just spout stupid *** like this that offers no help or suggestions to the OP's questions. Instead you spend your time flaming those that do.

Sylph.Vincentius
By Sylph.Vincentius 2010-04-25 01:30:47  
Stanflame's never right about anything, just ignore him OP. Oddin's right, it takes some dedication. If your entire group isn't dedicated to help each other out, things won't get done.

Also, wouldn't recommend anyone under Second Lieutenant rank spamming salvage. RvB makes it almost too easy to get the points.
 Bahamut.Stanflame
By Bahamut.Stanflame 2010-04-25 01:33:24  
Sylph.Vincentius said:
Stanflame's never right about anything, just ignore him OP. Oddin's right, it takes some dedication. If your entire group isn't dedicated to help each other out, things won't get done.

Also, wouldn't recommend anyone under Second Lieutenant rank spamming salvage. RvB makes it almost too easy to get the points.

It does take dedication, and who gives a crap. If the guy wants to do something casually. Let him do it casually it is his 12 dollars a month not yours.

there is no way you can do salvage casually, but what ever he meant by doing it slowly what ever. Does not mean he would go in as a n00b and not put his best into it.

Oddin and vincent I could careless what you think about me. But I'll say it again, he wants to do it casually let him be.
 Sylph.Oddin
By Sylph.Oddin 2010-04-25 01:35:45  
Bahamut.Stanflame said:
Sylph.Vincentius said:

It does take dedication, and who gives a crap. If the guy wants to do something casually. Let him do it casually it is his 12 dollars a month not yours.

there is no way you can do salvage casually, but what ever he meant by doing it slowly what ever. Does not mean he would go in as a n00b and not put his best into it.

Oddin and vincent I could careless what you think about me. But I'll say it again, he wants to do it casually let him be.

Again... it was a suggestion... you act like we're holding a gun to his head and telling him his *** better be doing a run every god damn day. "*** I don't care what Assault Rank you are! Get your *** in them Remnants!"

Bahamut.Stanflame
By Bahamut.Stanflame 2010-04-25 01:39:38  
Sylph.Oddin said:
Bahamut.Stanflame said:
Sylph.Vincentius said:

Again... it was a suggestion... you act like we're holding a gun to his head and telling him his *** better be doing a run every god damn day. "*** I don't care what Assault Rank you are! Get your *** in them Remnants!"

again.... do you think anyone including me who has been playing for 6+ years does not know certain events require dedication? If you are a xbox 360 new gen player, gtfo away from my posts I am going to stop responding to your dumb *** now.

Who does not known what salvage is and what is required.... please someone tell me? I am a n00b me playing since pc release means ***in that fact. I never heard of salvage either, I must be dumb.

/sarcasm off (in case you are too brain dead to realize what sarcasm is).
 Sylph.Oddin
By Sylph.Oddin 2010-04-25 01:42:48  
Bahamut.Stanflame said:
Sylph.Oddin said:
Bahamut.Stanflame said:
Sylph.Vincentius said:

again.... do you think anyone including me who has been playing for 6 years does not know certain events require dedication? If you are a xbox 360 new gen player, gtfo away from my posts I am going to stop responding to your dumb *** now.

I've been playing this game long before most have... I beta tested the damn NA version. This thread isn't about your sorry ***. It's directed towards the OP's concern for information regarding Salvage. Now either offer up some suggestions/absolute truths/knowledge or shut the *** up and go the *** away.
 Asura.Ericka
サーバ: Asura
user: foxxie
By Asura.Ericka 2010-04-25 02:07:15  

Tigerwoods is awesome ^^ was looking for salvage instructions myself. ty for posting this ^^
[+]
 Shiva.Superdan
By Shiva.Superdan 2010-04-25 07:34:27  
Odin.Blazza said:
Shiva.Superdan said:
You're doing it wrong.

What I mean by nothing serious, is that I don't plan on making it 2 night weekly event, or such. It's not as though we're going to go for a stroll around the ruins and look at the pretty sights. We want it to be a fun experience, not a compulsory event, that is when it becomes less of friends activity, and more work. Of course we're going to research the floors, plan it out and do the run properly, we do actually want it to be successful.
 Shiva.Superdan
By Shiva.Superdan 2010-04-25 07:53:56  
Okay, just finished reading the whole thread. The main reason I say it's not serious, as that we haven't done it before. We're looking for a fun and constructive activity to do within our social shell. If we enjoy it, and would like to continue, then it may turn into something we do regularly. We don't have 18+ people turning up every night, and usually just stick to doing things such as assaults, nyzul or helping with NMs etc. Salvage is just the next step to my point of view, a little more serious, a bit of a challenge, and it seems fun. We can do it without having to /shout in WG, or without having *** hats beating down on us if we make a mistake. Let me make this clear, at the moment, our goal is not to be getting people 5/5 Morrigans and ***. We'd be happy simply having some fun, and getting some of the smaller peices, i.e Getting our THF some skadi's legs and such. Don't get me wrong, I know this will be a challenge, but we're not in a huge rush.

I thank you for the advice, however I'm not really looking for people telling us to give up, or a huge flame thread, however flaming seems to happen in every thread somehow..

But like I've stated, I'm grateful for any advice on actually performing the runs. We do assaults together already, so earning points/promotions should not be too difficult, however we still need ranking up a few people if we're going to be doing several runs a week.