フォーラム » FFXI » Escha » [dev1296] Aeonic Weapons
[dev1296] Aeonic Weapons
First Page 2 3 ... 14 15 16
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
サーバ: Caitsith
Game: FFXI
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2015-10-28 07:52:26  
Maybe excess job points after you get your master title can be uaed to buy items for your Aeonic weapon. Would give JPs some use after you've gotten 2100. What would you do with the 500/500 other than let it sit.
[+]
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2015-10-28 07:56:12  
MNK Aeonic: Martial Arts +40
 Shiva.Kingmancat
サーバ: Shiva
By Shiva.Kingmancat 2015-10-28 08:00:43  
Skillchains the surpass Light and Darkness...

Are they FINALLY giving us access to Cosmic Elucidation? I always thought that was the single best looking visual effect in the entire game. Unfortunately, knowing how SE works, the requirements for these weapons are going to be absolutely ridiculous and an unforgiving time sink.
[+]
By FaeQueenCory 2015-10-28 08:01:40  
Asura.Sechs said: »
Sylph.Shadowlina said: »
"Armaments" basically says new armor lol. So yes AF4.
No.
Or rather, not necessarily.
"Armaments" is a generic word. It tipically leads to "weaponry" but by extension it could mean anything used to fight, so armor equipment as well.

Yet in their text they specify the word weapon multiple times, and that's not really ambiguous as "armament" could be, is it?
I'd love to see AF4, don't get me wrong, I'm just saying that the current text kinda rules that out =/
Well since the quest that completes the Aeonic weapons... Won't be happening in Nov (thereby COMPLETELY *** up any sort of understanding I had of their post-Nov rules)....
It could be that we get the Aeonic armors now and the weapons whenever that quest is added. (Dec? Jan? Feb? Mar?!??)

EDIT:
Carbuncle.Israfell said: »
But I am mostly concerned about all the forums out there. There will be dire need to Find and Replace all the "REM" with "REMA". We can't possibly get to all of them! Will each person have to go in a edit their posts? What if they are retired? What about quoted text, they won't change when the original of edited will they? And what about "R/E/M"... you can see where this can get a bit hairy.
Well it technically should be "REMEA"... Since like Empyrean weapons are to Relics, so to are Ergon Weapons to Mythics.
But I seriously doubt anyone will go back and edit stuff.
[+]
Administrator
By Rooks 2015-10-28 08:01:47  
"Completion of the aeonic weapons requires completion of a quest to be added in a subsequent update."

So that's either:
- We ARE getting at least one more update
- One last troll, just to let us know our place
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-10-28 08:01:57  
"Too little too late."

For me, at least. Adding that much time sink at this stage?

Can barely convince myself to do login points days we don't have ls events.
[+]
 Valefor.Angeluzun
サーバ: Valefor
user: Angeluzun
By Valefor.Angeluzun 2015-10-28 08:04:47  
It's hard not to get excited for this even after you quit
 Shiva.Kingmancat
By Shiva.Kingmancat 2015-10-28 08:04:54  
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if mastering a job got you SU3 and that would be one of the requirements.
[+]
By FaeQueenCory 2015-10-28 08:09:45  
Shiva.Kingmancat said: »
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if mastering a job got you SU3 and that would be one of the requirements.
The secret is out!
Job Master is actually SU3!
(Also that would be so weird of them to do it like that... After being extra hard on botters... They add a reward for botting?)
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2015-10-28 08:10:12  
I would say that 2100JP on a job and the title from it is almost certainly a requirement.
 Bismarck.Laurelli
サーバ: Bismarck
user: ltantonio
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2015-10-28 08:10:31  
Rooks said: »
"Completion of the aeonic weapons requires completion of a quest to be added in a subsequent update."

So that's either:
- We ARE getting at least one more update
- One last troll, just to let us know our place
Interesting, I didn't catch that. So people will start these weapons and then the last quest never comes? That would be the most evil thing.
 Valefor.Angeluzun
サーバ: Valefor
user: Angeluzun
By Valefor.Angeluzun 2015-10-28 08:11:18  
Also if we're really discussing what the new acronym is going to be I would propose "A/R/M/E" as an alternative. R/E/M/A just doesn't look good to me.
[+]
 Phoenix.Gaiarorshack
サーバ: Phoenix
user: MiavPigen
By Phoenix.Gaiarorshack 2015-10-28 08:12:16  

Are they FINALLY giving us access to Cosmic Elucidation? I always thought that was the single best looking visual effect in the entire game. Unfortunately, knowing how SE works, the requirements for these weapons are going to be absolutely ridiculous and an unforgiving time sink.

Still better than just getting stuff handed to you for basically free. Some of us likes to have a long term goal to work towards
[+]
 Shiva.Kingmancat
By Shiva.Kingmancat 2015-10-28 08:13:20  
Valefor.Angeluzun said: »
Also if we're really discussing what the new acronym is going to be I would propose "A/R/M/E" as an alternative. R/E/M/A just doesn't look good to me.

The acronym RME had always just been the order they were released as. Most people will likely go with RMEA now to continue that trend.
 Asura.Sechs
サーバ: Asura
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2015-10-28 08:14:46  
Not sure I get what you meant with the lines following your REMEA comment, Fae.
Not saying I don't agree, I just an not sure what you meant.

Relic is one category.
Empyrean is another (bound to different content, different jobs, different aftermath)
Mythic is the third category.

Ergon have a different name and a different way to obtain them but they are de facto Mythic weapons. Same Job specific approach, same aftermath etc.
 Cerberus.Ganlere
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Ganlere
By Cerberus.Ganlere 2015-10-28 08:16:02  
Yes, the 2100 JP title will be a requirement; titles have always been a requirement (even if the title gives access to the content).

Will these be the ilvl 125 weapons?

Got to love how quickly the no more updates change. I guess to them adding a little to an existing quest isn't an update. I'd say don't expect this quest line to be complete till March/April time. They'll drop xbox/ps2, review servers and possibly merge, get anniversary ready and end this line around that time. Gives them around 6 more months of subscriptions being steady.
 Bismarck.Oldmancebi
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Oldmancebi 2015-10-28 08:16:35  
Don't want to sound negative but according to S-E these will be the same caliber as R/M/E.

Apart from the skillchain effect does anyone else think these will truly be any good considering they kinda crapped on half of them?
 Leviathan.Tribalprophet
サーバ: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Tribalprophet 2015-10-28 08:18:15  
Should be acronymed "REAM" to remind those who haven't started on the new ones how SE requirements will most likely screw you hard.
[+]
 Shiva.Kingmancat
By Shiva.Kingmancat 2015-10-28 08:18:40  
Phoenix.Gaiarorshack said: »

Still better than just getting stuff handed to you for basically free. Some of us likes to have a long term goal to work towards

I have 11 RME's, with only 2 of the Relics coming since they made them much easier. Hell, my Mythic took me 7 years to complete. I know all long term goals. I love this game with a fiery passion, but at this point, I wholeheartedly believe that creating a massive time sink might do more harm than good for SE with regard to motivating the playerbase.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
サーバ: Asura
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2015-10-28 08:19:50  
Bismarck.Oldmancebi said: »
Don't want to sound negative but according to S-E these will be the same caliber as R/M/E.

Apart from the skillchain effect does anyone else think these will truly be any good considering they kinda crapped on half of them?
They could do a slight update to rme as well.
I doubt they want to go back to a situation where the gap between legendary and normal weapons is too large, but I think at this point there is at least a small space for them to update rme. Nothing major of course, or we'd go back to square one.
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2015-10-28 08:21:13  
Would be sad to not have nigh endless MP from Tizona.. Guess it will just be a more situational Tizona.
[+]
 Shiva.Kingmancat
By Shiva.Kingmancat 2015-10-28 08:23:01  
Bismarck.Oldmancebi said: »

They could do a slight update to rme as well.
I doubt they want to go back to a situation where the gap between legendary and normal weapons is too large, but I think at this point there is at least a small space for them to update rme. Nothing major of course, or we'd go back to square one.

Indeed. As I recall, the game lost a good amount of its playerbase when they buried RMEs. A lot of them, maybe even most, didn't come back when they finally decided to update them.
Administrator
By Rooks 2015-10-28 08:33:20  
Leviathan.Tribalprophet said: »
Should be acronymed "REAM" to remind those who haven't started on the new ones how SE requirements will most likely screw you hard.

I propose "MAERE":

Mythic
Aeonic
Empyrean
Relic
Ergon

And ties in to this guy, who everyone loves
[+]
By FaeQueenCory 2015-10-28 08:38:57  
Not sure I get what you meant with the lines following your REMEA comment, Fae.
Not saying I don't agree, I just an not sure what you meant.

Relic is one category.
Empyrean is another (bound to different content, different jobs, different aftermath)
Mythic is the third category.

Ergon have a different name and a different way to obtain them but they are de facto Mythic weapons. Same Job specific approach, same aftermath etc.
It's quite simple... Or at least it is when you understand that mechanically poorer version of X does not mean that it's weaker/worse than X.

It's all design not function/application.
Empyrean weapons were added to the game to give ToAU+WotG jobs access to relic weapons. (Obvs PLD and BRD came out better than everyone else. But that was a side effect, not the intent.)
And what are these weapons? High-damage-low-delay weapons that can occasionally deal 2x dmg (that's up from when it was just 2x back then).
Weaponskills are irrelevant here, since I'm just talking about the weapons themselves. But it's obvious to anyone with a brain that the empyrean WSs have always been vastly superior to their relic counterparts.
But their aftermath is where the equivalency, in SE's eyes, is made.
With AM up, an empyrean is the same as a relic... But we know that AM is a fragile thing. So, mechanically, empyrean weapons are inferior copies of relic weapons, who have the ODD naturally.
This is ESPECIALLY obvious when you look at their damage and delay: for almost all their lives, relics and empyreans have had identical delay and damage. For the most part.

And Ergons are Empyrean!Mythics.
Much like empyreans they lack the same-WS-dmg-multiplier. And much like empyrean and relic WSs they have LIGHT and DARKNESS SC properties, which Mythics never had access to. This is because they're supposed to not only be RUN and GEO's mythic but also their replacement for lack of Empyrean WS. (Always a big fail that GEO didn't get "Mystic Boon2"...)
Ergons only real link, aside from a massive time investment, to Mythics is that they share the mythic aftermath. (Being JSE don't mean anything, just look at any of the JSE relics or empyreans.)

So in essence: Empyreans came to be to be the relics of ToAU and WotG jobs, and Ergons came to be the Mythics (and empyreans) of SoA jobs.
And both are mechanically weaker than the weapons they're emulations of.

Though, obviously to anyone with half a brain, mechanically weaker doesn't mean intrinsically/functionally weaker.
(Though in 119 terms empyreans are literally the weakest 119s available... That's a new thing.)
And it doesn't mean that they're bad either.
It just means that SE was being lazy (because adding jobs to something is literally the easiest thing to do in a video game) and instead of updating old weapons they just made new ones.
Which just always benefitted the old jobs more. (And why I'm massively against Ergon for all.)

Which is why these Aeonics will be interesting.
They're not really fake!mythics (like ergons), and they're likely not fake!relics (like empyreans)... So... There's no need for them.
Which means there is no forced design with them!
(Eg: high-damage-low-delay, LIGHT/DARK SC property, specific AM, etc)
They can literally be anything!
And that's exciting.
 Shiva.Kingmancat
By Shiva.Kingmancat 2015-10-28 08:45:04  
Here's hoping they do some wild crap with them. Like giving Ninja access to Shi level Ninjutsu (or Ni/San level for those applicable).

It would be stellar if BRD's was a new instrument that combined and improved the effects of Carnwenhan, Gjallarhorn, and Daurdabla.

PLD's should be that shield in the pic, and it should combine/improve Aegis and Ochain. Or a sword that combined the attack capabilities of Excalibur and Almace with the defensive traits of Burtgang. Or hell, why not both?
By Draylo 2015-10-28 08:46:58  
SNM Aeonic - summon Bahamut. Exciting to see what will happen!
 Shiva.Kingmancat
By Shiva.Kingmancat 2015-10-28 08:47:53  
Draylo said: »
SNM Aeonic - summon Bahamut. Exciting to see what will happen!

Well, that would actually be pretty awesome. Hopefully, they throw SMNs a bone and give them Phoenix since we are finally getting to Tenzen's homeland.
 Bahamut.Tychefm
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Lyramion
By Bahamut.Tychefm 2015-10-28 08:58:05  
Would be cool if Currency is just Eschalixirs to upgrade. Could jumpstart the Eschalixir market again while letting ppl grind with actually relevant content for them and give others an opportunity to make gil and get gear from NMs.
 Bahamut.Soraishin
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Soraishin
By Bahamut.Soraishin 2015-10-28 09:03:56  
I always thought a new weapon type would come out and SE just doesn't disappoint.
 Ragnarok.Ejiin
Guide Maker
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Ejin
By Ragnarok.Ejiin 2015-10-28 09:12:21  
Finally a small glimpse of hope for WAR/DRK/DRG not being stuck in DD purgatory for eternity after the updates stop.

The biggest shifts in DD hierarchy we see are right after new WS are added or WS adjustments. These new weapons seem to already heavily favor melees over mages(this is fair, mages are silly OP right now anyways) so if they also include new weapon skills, we could see a big shake-up in current melee hierarchy, or, at the very least, a closing of the massive gap that exists now.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 14 15 16