Apple Overtakes Microsoft
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
サーバ: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: AnnaMolly
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-05-26 19:27:06  
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
While it may seem gimmicky, you have to give credit to Apple for some things. They've led the market in electronics design for the past ~5 years. When the iPhone came out, the Motorola Razr was considered the coolest phone design ever conceived. It was everywhere. Now every smart phone is trying to look like an iPhone. When the iPod came out, the best you could do was a little 20-30 song solid state plastic gizmo. Now, Zune and others have all tried to copy the iPod's design. When the iMac came out, people laughed at the thought of putting the computer hardware and the display together. Go into Best Buy now. Count how many "me too" all-in-one machines there are. Look at laptops. Nobody did brushed metal or seamless designs until Apple. Now everyone's trying. Look at their notebook keyboards, and then go look at PC keyboards over the last few years. Look how many laptops are trying to copy the design of Macbooks and Macbook Pros. iPad? First tablet to market. Microsoft and HP canned their entire tablet projects in response, because their design wasn't as good. (Courier and Slate are both cancelled.) There might be an Android tablet at some point next year, but not right now, and the conceptual designs all look... wait for it... exactly like an iPad. The point is, the reason Apple is doing well is that they've managed to successfully set the bar on design for the past five years. Google, Microsoft, whoever they are... yes, they can be arguably better? With more features? For cheaper? But they keep coming to the party late.

Right, they are masters of innovation and design, but in the case of the iPod, they made 30 different shapes of the same thing, and not a one of them was PC friendly unless you DL'd certain software. Not all iPod/iPhone users use Mac computers. The gimmicky part is how offten they update, and make new things. They are good at design and innovation but bad at waiting. It seems they make 1-2 improvements on one thing, release a new, improved version, then six months later, they are releasing the second generation of that product with those 1-2 new improvements. Why not just wait?
 Siren.Eagleeyes
サーバ: Siren
user: eagleeyes
By Siren.Eagleeyes 2010-05-26 19:37:27  
i hate how apple claims it's ipad is a revolution yet tablets have been around for years
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-05-26 19:42:24  
I'm just not much for buying new stuff that works like stuff I already have. I used a Motorola KRZR till I bought my Rugby in like... February, I bought my PS3 just a few weeks ago, and I still have just a fatty, silver DS.
By Sahjya 2010-05-26 19:43:29  
Phoenix.Kojo said:
Why not just wait?

Why wait? If the company can afford to make advancements, however small, why limit the consumers' options? The fact that apple is now more valuable than microsoft clearly reflects this strategy's success.
 Lakshmi.Feifongwong
サーバ: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Feifongwong 2010-05-26 19:46:36  
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Apple Is No. 1 in Tech, Overtaking Microsoft

"SAN FRANCISCO — Wall Street has called the end of an era and the beginning of the next one: The most important technology product no longer sits on your desk but rather fits in your hand. The moment came Wednesday when Apple, the maker of iPods, iPhones and iPads, shot past Microsoft, the computer software giant, to become the world’s most valuable technology company."

"As of Wednesday, Wall Street valued Apple at $222.12 billion and Microsoft at $219.18 billion. The only American company valued higher is Exxon Mobil, with a market capitalization of $278.64 billion."

well the number of suckers out there just keeps increasing.

All Microsoft really needs to do is cut their products from Macs.
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-05-26 19:57:12  
Sahjya said:
Phoenix.Kojo said:
Why not just wait?
Why wait? If the company can afford to make advancements, however small, why limit the consumers' options? The fact that apple is now more valuable than microsoft clearly reflects this strategy's success.

It just means they have sold more stuff. All businesses use computers, which is why Apple and Microsoft are #2 and 3. Microsoft doesn't really produce much, they don't really make PCs, just some of the chips and software. Best thing they have outside of computers is the Xbox/Xbox 360 (neither of which I own) Whereas Apple has more products. TBH, comparing the two isn't all that fair. Microsoft is more of a software company, and Apple is a comp manufacturer, they produce music devices, and phones. A better comparison would be Panasonic, Toshiba, maybe Yamaha.

Microsoft produces Operating Systems. Apple produces Computers with their own operating system.
By Sahjya 2010-05-26 20:02:32  
You didn't answer the question, Kojo. Okay, lose the comparison to microsoft altogether. Why should apple "wait" to put a new product out? You, as a consumer, are under no obligation to buy the new product. That being said, it is clearly a successful business strategym regardless of any comparison to microsoft.

Also, what exactly are they supposed to be waiting on?
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-05-26 20:07:01  
Well, they are already working on the second gen. If they find like 1 improvement to make on the first gen, reproducing the first gen when the second gen is coming out in a few months is illogical, wasteful, and kinda dumb. If I was gonna upgrade, I'd just wait for the second gen with 6-7 new funtions, PLUS that 1 improvement. You buy the improved reproduction, you may not be able to afford the second gen.
 Kujata.Akeda
サーバ: Kujata
user: Akeda
By Kujata.Akeda 2010-05-26 20:07:57  
Asura.Stubbs said:
If people bought my hardware for 2-3 times the price of my competitors items and I re-released the same item every 3-6 months convincing my customers that they simply cannot live without the minor upgrades, I might also be the world's richest technology company too. I'm going to go out on a limb and say microsoft still has a MUCH larger percentage of users. Apple makes a lot because they charge a lot.

/thread

People today are suckers for eye candy and shiny things and love to hop on trend bandwagons.

Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-05-26 20:08:05  
Also, why do I have the strangest feeling that Sahjya is Jaerik?
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-05-26 20:10:27  
O.o I have no reason to use an alt to argue with a user. Why would I do that?
By Sahjya 2010-05-26 20:11:08  
You should really write them a letter to let them know that what they're doing is illogical, wasteful, and kinda dumb. You'd probably save them so much money, they'd put you in an executive position on the spot.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
サーバ: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-05-26 20:11:15  
It would be hilarious if Jaerik was secretly Vigor.
By Sahjya 2010-05-26 20:12:26  
I'm not Jaerik, but I am on the same server. I'm Asarath on Lakshmi. This is my unlinked mule account that I just happened to be logged into at the time.
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-05-26 20:12:26  
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
O.o I have no reason to use an alt to argue with a user. Why would I do that?

And you'd use more logic and bash people's views less, I'd imagine. Guess it was his/her typing habits.

EDIT: I'm also hoping you half-understand what I mean.
 Ramuh.Dasva
サーバ: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-05-26 20:15:55  
Odin.Venomous said:
I love that guy.

And really I still do everything on my laptop and PC that are a good 7 years old. Macs you replace how often?
 Siren.Enternius
サーバ: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-05-26 20:16:33  
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Odin.Venomous said:
I love that guy.

And really I still do everything on my laptop and PC that are a good 7 years old. Macs you replace how often?
iPad was obsolete before it was even released. That's how often. Lol.
 Quetzalcoatl.Sectumsempra
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Sect
By Quetzalcoatl.Sectumsempra 2010-05-26 20:16:42  
Bahamut.Raenryong said:
It would be hilarious if Jaerik was secretly Vigor.
/conspiracy
By Sahjya 2010-05-26 20:18:08  
I didn't mean to bash anyone's views, I was genuinely interested in why you thought it would be better to wait. I don't usually post on the forums, so maybe I came across as abrasive. I was aiming for something more light-hearted.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-05-26 20:22:33  
Sahjya said:
I was genuinely interested in why you thought it would be better to wait.
Money. Having a more complete, finished, better product maybe.
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-05-26 20:22:59  
Sahjya said:
I didn't mean to bash anyone's views, I was genuinely interested in why you thought it would be better to wait. I don't usually post on the forums, so maybe I came across as abrasive. I was aiming for something more light-hearted.

Oh, well.. It'd be like.. Think of Ford. The 2010 F-150 came out near the end of last year. Say they came up with a place to put 2 more speakers and a cup-holder. Would it be smarter to make an entirely new 2010 F-150 design and production line, just for speakers and cup-holders, when the 2011 F-150 will be out in 5-6 months with the same cup-holder and extra speakers, plus new features?
 Lakshmi.Jaguarx
user: Jaguarx
By Lakshmi.Jaguarx 2010-05-26 20:24:13  
Phoenix.Kojo said:
Also, why do I have the strangest feeling that Sahjya is Jaerik?

Na Sahjya writes with far too many comma splices.

Sahjya said:

Jaerik writes like a friggin scholarly journal endorsed by Albert Einstein.

/endconspiracy

>_>
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-05-26 20:27:03  
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Sahjya said:
I was genuinely interested in why you thought it would be better to wait.
Money. Having a more complete, finished, better product maybe.

Yeah, pretty much this.
By Sahjya 2010-05-26 20:34:01  
I do have a tendency to overuse the commas.

I hear what you're saying, and it's entirely possible that they would make more money by spreading product releases out over a longer period of time. My argument is that the facts support apple's current strategy as a success, whereas your argument relies more on speculation.
 Lakshmi.Feifongwong
By Lakshmi.Feifongwong 2010-05-26 20:36:27  
Phoenix.Kojo said:
sonic, Toshiba, maybe Yamaha.

Microsoft produces Operating Systems. Apple produces Computers with their own operating system.

I would say essentially that is wrong, Microsoft produces a lot of software, a lot that is used in business. Microsoft software probably generates more revenue than hardware, because while R&D is involved, no actual manufacture is involved, other than cheap and easy to make cds/dvds.

TBH so many Microsoft products are used by business. All they need to do is cut Mac support. It's their right to stop supporting Apple with their products.

Apple has innovative but many proprietary products. This was their main problem in the past.
 Bahamut.Stanflame
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Stanflame
By Bahamut.Stanflame 2010-05-26 20:37:22  
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Apple Is No. 1 in Tech, Overtaking Microsoft

"SAN FRANCISCO — Wall Street has called the end of an era and the beginning of the next one: The most important technology product no longer sits on your desk but rather fits in your hand. The moment came Wednesday when Apple, the maker of iPods, iPhones and iPads, shot past Microsoft, the computer software giant, to become the world’s most valuable technology company."

"As of Wednesday, Wall Street valued Apple at $222.12 billion and Microsoft at $219.18 billion. The only American company valued higher is Exxon Mobil, with a market capitalization of $278.64 billion."

Oh I like typing on my mac, I love mac. I knew mac would be the new wave, this is something else.
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-05-26 20:37:29  
Sahjya said:
I do have a tendency to overuse the commas. I hear what you're saying, and it's entirely possible that they would make more money by spreading product releases out over a longer period of time. My argument is that the facts support apple's current strategy as a success, whereas your argument relies more on speculation.

They are already making a ***-ton of money, but it'd be possible to make more, faster.

EDIT: I'm not knocking either company, as I said before; I don't feel the two companies should really be compared. They just have a past rivalry.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-05-26 20:39:58  
Oh there strategy definitely makes them money. It's just at the cost of stupid people wanting 1 shiney thing that gets replaced 5 seconds later.

It is a very comsumer oriented strategy that could horribly flop once people realize they don't have the money to keep buying the same thing over and over again
By Sahjya 2010-05-26 20:43:20  
There has yet to be any evidence presented to support that claim.
 Lakshmi.Feifongwong
By Lakshmi.Feifongwong 2010-05-26 20:43:55  
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Oh there strategy definitely makes them money. It's just at the cost of stupid people wanting 1 shiney thing that gets replaced 5 seconds later.

It is a very consumer oriented strategy that could horribly flop once people realize they don't have the money to keep buying the same thing over and over again

That's the problem with proprietary hardware. It's great at what it does, but absolutely terrible at all other functions. That is Apple's past. Apple really gained speed with support for Microsoft products.

If Microsoft were to cut their support for Apple products it would be up in the air because so much business relies on MS products.

Apple has great computers, but really most of them are purpose built with a specific OS in mind. That is their greatest flaw.