AT&T To Discontinue Unlimited Data Plan.

Eorzea Time

言語: JP EN FR DE
日本語版のFFXIVPRO利用したい場合は、上記の"JP"を設定して、又はjp.ffxivpro.comを直接に利用してもいいです
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Culture and Media » AT&T to discontinue unlimited data plan.
AT&T to discontinue unlimited data plan.
First Page 2
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
サーバ: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: AnnaMolly
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-07-05 16:05:58  
Ok, I'll admit it, I've recently been looking into an iPhone 4.. Then my sister told me AT&T was swapping their data plans up a bit.. So, here it is.

http://www.mydesert.com/article/20100603/BUSINESS06/6030301/AT-T-to-discontinue-unlimited-data-plans

..now for some people that'd be enough, however, I'm on the internet ALOT, not to mention, I'd probably stay signed in to quite a few things at all times. BUT I never got an internet plan on my phone. I'm not sure if running MSN/WL IM for a month would exceed 2 GB or not, then there's my random internet browsing. So, if you're following the hype, you may be dropping an old subscription for AT&T, to get an iPhone 4, not really a good idea. Also, as I said, I'm on the internet alot, my sister had her plan looked at and they told her that she went over that 2gbs EASILY. I'm on the internet much more than she is.

Jaerik, I need your knowledge and logic.
 Ramuh.Vinvv
サーバ: Ramuh
user: vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-07-05 16:07:38  
Yeah I think they already had the changeover.
It's like whenever you upgrade to a new phone or some ***like that. They pretty much force you into their tiered set up at that point.
In all honesty it may not be as expensive as you'd think.
But maybe have them check and see how much dataz you use atm and then kinda figure out if it would really change much or not.
 Quetzalcoatl.Princemercury
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Princemercury 2010-07-05 16:10:12  
I own an ATT business talk line. Honestly I'm happy with it. For our data lines, we subscribe to a Verizon business line.

If you use data, you shouldn't be using ATT anyway. Verizon is so much better. But I guess it doesn't matter if you live in a city with ATT coverage and don't travel much.
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-07-05 16:12:04  
I'm going off of my Sis's. She has an iPhone 3g, and she was told that she went WAY over. And I'd probably use it more than she would. I have AT&T, but basically, it seems that they are saying no more unlimited unless you already had it. Upgrading won't hurt it, I don't think. But it's quite a piss-off for the new iPhone 4 owners who can't get the best use out of it without worry.

EDIT: Sis just ended up staying with her unlimited for the $30/month.
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-07-05 16:13:56  
I'm on Verizon and I'm pretty sure we have either switched over to a tiered data plan set up or plan to in the future, I don't have a smartphone so I don't really know much about it.
My friend with AT&T says he'd consider switching over to T-mobile for their data plan but I've heard they have sub-par coverage.
By Quetzalcoatl.Princemercury 2010-07-05 16:16:24  
That's why for $30/month you join Verizon for data. Better 3g Coverage and Unlimited Data.
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-07-05 16:17:30  
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
I'm on Verizon and I'm pretty sure we have either switched over to a tiered data plan set up or plan to in the future, I don't have a smartphone so I don't really know much about it. My friend with AT&T says he'd consider switching over to T-mobile for their data plan but I've heard they have sub-par coverage.

See, I don't have a smart phone, but I was thinking about getting one till I see this. Only way this'd be a good decision for AT&T is if customers unknowingly get the plan and go over, which I think is $10-$25 charge for going over by like 1 MB.
By Quetzalcoatl.Princemercury 2010-07-05 16:19:36  
T Mobile is pretty good too. I use 3 companies today and from 1st hand experience...

Voice:
ATT > Sprint > Verizon.

Data:
Verizon > Everything else.

It's funny on my pocket PCs, when I'm not able to make calls, the 3g network stays up under Verizon. But oh well.
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-07-05 16:23:30  
I don't really want to change, I just won't buy an iPhone 4. Which makes it one less iPhone 4 unit sold, one less person with one, so AT&T just costed Apple like what, $460? Not that it'll make or break them.

Also, I may be understanding things wrong, but as far as the plans go, I'm not the only one to misunderstand and call off the buying of a smart-phone altogether.
 Ramuh.Dasva
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-07-05 16:24:41  
Edit yays I get to keep mine
By Quetzalcoatl.Princemercury 2010-07-05 16:25:16  
If you really want an iPhone4, wait till January, I've heard more than a few times Verizon will begin naively supporting iPhones. (Not having to buy a $700 unlocked one).

Edit: Doesn't apply to Kojo.
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-07-05 16:25:49  
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Wait so even if you signed up for a unlimited data contract and are paying for it they are just going to break it and stop?

As of Today, I think, you can no longer sign up for Unlimited data plans, if you have them already, they will still be there.
 Lakshmi.Jaguarx
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Jaguarx
By Lakshmi.Jaguarx 2010-07-05 16:26:53  
Just wait for Verizon to get the Iphone.
Then AT&T will be crying.
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-07-05 16:26:55  
Phoenix.Kojo said:
I don't really want to change, I just won't buy an iPhone 4. Which makes it one less iPhone 4 unit sold, one less person with one, so AT&T just costed Apple like what, $460? Not that it'll make or break them.

Also, I may be understanding things wrong, but as far as the plans go, I'm not the only one to misunderstand and call off the buying of a smart-phone altogether.
great choice...or greatest choice?
i'm not getting a smartphone until i actually see the need for it.
I'm around a computer 90% of the time, and when I'm not around a computer I don't need to be using a little handheld computer.
lol.
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-07-05 16:28:07  
Quetzalcoatl.Princemercury said:
If you really want an iPhone4, wait till January, I've heard more than a few times Verizon will begin naively supporting iPhones. (Not having to buy a $700 unlocked one). Edit: Doesn't apply to Kojo.

Off-topic, but kinda funny. When I bought my current phone, they were $300 new, we know how unlocking adds value, well, I bought one $150, used (only used for 6 weeks or so), unlocked.
 Phoenix.Oumura
user: Oumura
By Phoenix.Oumura 2010-07-05 16:28:53  
Phoenix.Kojo said:
Ok, I'll admit it, I've recently been looking into an iPhone 4.. Then my sister told me AT&T was swapping their data plans up a bit.. So, here it is.

http://www.mydesert.com/article/20100603/BUSINESS06/6030301/AT-T-to-discontinue-unlimited-data-plans

..now for some people that'd be enough, however, I'm on the internet ALOT, not to mention, I'd probably stay signed in to quite a few things at all times. BUT I never got an internet plan on my phone. I'm not sure if running MSN/WL IM for a month would exceed 2 GB or not, then there's my random internet browsing. So, if you're following the hype, you may be dropping an old subscription for AT&T, to get an iPhone 4, not really a good idea. Also, as I said, I'm on the internet alot, my sister had her plan looked at and they told her that she went over that 2gbs EASILY. I'm on the internet much more than she is.

Jaerik, I need your knowledge and logic.
Destrac and I are actually looking for a new carrier and we recently stopped into the AT&T store to check out the new iPhone 4. (I'm an Android man myself though.) We were both surprised to find that they indeed do not offer unlimited data, so I guess this explains why. :\ Immediately turned me off to AT%T altogether.

I feel bad for any future users with an iPhone that use data heavily. :\
 Lakshmi.Jaguarx
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Jaguarx
By Lakshmi.Jaguarx 2010-07-05 16:29:47  
I have both an Iphone from AT&T and a Blackberry Tour from Verizon.

Couldn't make up my mind which company to go with.

DON'T JUDGE ME!!111!!!1!!!!!1!!!
(>.>)
By Quetzalcoatl.Princemercury 2010-07-05 16:31:14  
For people scared to switch away from ATT because of cancellation / contract termination fees, keep in mind it's pro rated, so the more you're into your contract the less the cancellation fee will be.

Considering cost in the long run, you'll probably save more canceling and joining V because of the unlimited plan.

And they allow you to keep your same phone number.
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-07-05 16:31:20  
@Vin I'd like to use it on lunch breaks at work, and being able to leave my room would be nice.

@Oum I was actually torn between the design and "oohh~ aahh~" of the iPhone 4 and the ease of PC connection of an Android.
 Phoenix.Oumura
user: Oumura
By Phoenix.Oumura 2010-07-05 16:32:06  
We have our hearts set on Verizon after doing some comparisons. We both want the HTC Incredible but we're waiting to see how the Droid X will compare to it and the Evo. That will pretty much decide which one we go for.
By Quetzalcoatl.Princemercury 2010-07-05 16:34:08  
Not to mention 3G is about to become extinct when 4G APs are implemented nationwide in large cities. Verizon has the backbone for it already in place, ATT does not. Possibly why ATT is finding a way to increase costs to cover the project.
 Seraph.Pikachu
サーバ: Seraph
user: chuuuuu
By Seraph.Pikachu 2010-07-05 16:38:41  
sprint has a 5gb cap on broadband cards but no caps on phones xP
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-07-05 16:39:04  
Also, just for the lols, I gotta bring this up; When I go into a AT&T store, in Oklahoma, You immediately see the lowest price (Which is for upgrades and new contracts only). It's the big one with the actual price written real small in under it. Shouldn't that be covered by some sort of false advertisement?

Also, I find it hilarious that there is a Best Buy on the other side of the parking lot that gives you MUCH better deals on the same phones. IDK how that store stays in business.
By Quetzalcoatl.Princemercury 2010-07-05 16:40:02  
I think all mobile providers set a 5GB cap on mobile broadband.
By Quetzalcoatl.Princemercury 2010-07-05 16:40:42  
Phoenix.Kojo said:
Also, just for the lols, I gotta bring this up; When I go into a AT&T store, in Oklahoma, You immediately see the lowest price (Which is for upgrades and new contracts only). It's the big one with the actual price written real small in under it. Shouldn't that be covered by some sort of false advertisement?

Also, I find it hilarious that there is a Best Buy on the other side of the parking lot that gives you MUCH better deals on the same phones. IDK how that store stays in business.

People have been doing that for years.

Advertising the lowest price and placing the highest level model for display with fine print under it.
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-07-05 16:41:11  
I think all mobile providers set a 5GB cap on mobile broadband.

You'd rarely leave your laptop on all month, tho. My sis leaves her ***on and logged in, It's an iPhone. >.>
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-07-05 16:41:38  
Phoenix.Kojo said:
@Vin I'd like to use it on lunch breaks at work, and being able to leave my room would be nice.

@Oum I was actually torn between the design and "oohh~ aahh~" of the iPhone 4 and the ease of PC connection of an Android.
Oh I have a laptop.
If I didn't have one I'd probably have a smart phone or something by now though.
By Quetzalcoatl.Princemercury 2010-07-05 16:41:53  
Oh no, it's 2 different things.

Data rated / unlimited is for phones etc.

Mobile broadband is the card you plug into a laptop to tap into the network, which is capped at 5GB with every provider.
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-07-05 16:42:18  
Phoenix.Kojo said:
Also, just for the lols, I gotta bring this up; When I go into a AT&T store, in Oklahoma, You immediately see the lowest price (Which is for upgrades and new contracts only). It's the big one with the actual price written real small in under it. Shouldn't that be covered by some sort of false advertisement? Also, I find it hilarious that there is a Best Buy on the other side of the parking lot that gives you MUCH better deals on the same phones. IDK how that store stays in business.
People have been doing that for years. Advertising the lowest price and placing the highest level model for display with fine print under it.

I know, but that type of crap just brings me to a "the laws should be altered to make me lol" mood.
By Quetzalcoatl.Princemercury 2010-07-05 16:44:00  
Phoenix.Kojo said:
I know, but that type of crap just brings me to a "the laws should be altered to make me lol" mood.

Oh yeah totally understand, I still get caught up in those...

My first experience with it was about 12 years ago when a company was advertising a stick of 32MB EDO Memory for $19.99. But it was actually $99.99 and the $19.99 one was a 8MB stick >_<.
First Page 2