Monk Questions
First Page 2
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
サーバ: Gilgamesh
Game: FFXI
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-01-13 11:38:22  
Ok I been looking around and finding different types of back pieces, hands, legs, feet, and my question is what is actually better to have for mnk Accuracy or more Attack?

For example there's the Charger Mantle which gives +20 atk and then theres the amemet mantle +1 which gives +15 stk +2 str. Which is better? having +2 str or the +5 more atk?

And another example is for hands, there's hands that give +20 accuracy and the r/e bkotes for +22 atk or the okotes. Which is better for monk?

My monk is at 67 atm. I just need ideas of what to actually get before spending any gil.
 Asura.Yotevol
サーバ: Asura
user: Yotevol
By Asura.Yotevol 2009-01-13 11:42:04  
Go with the Amemet Mantle +1, with the additional STR bonus, you will raise your cap on damage. The difference of +5 Atk would get you to you to your cap quicker, but I'm always fighting for STR merits/gear for the higher cap... THEN I figure out how to get to that cap!

As for the hand gear, go with the ATK bonus, garunteed! Every hit will hit harder, a lot hard with the ATK Kote!
MNKs don't really miss a lot... as opposed to DRK (hehe, I just got my DRK to 18btw- fun job!)

~Yotevol
Leader of LavitzReborn, a relaxed Sky/Sea Linkshell
Apply at www.lavitzreborn.tk
 Ifrit.Haseyo
サーバ: Ifrit
user:
By Ifrit.Haseyo 2009-01-13 11:42:09
 Delete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

As many people tell me, just have both.
If you find yourself missing often, pop on the Acc stuff.
If you seem to be hitting ok with the Att stuff, just keep that on.

Not sure about the Str or Att, I guess macro the +Str for WSs?

Edit: As the gloves, I'd go for the +Att reguardless, that's a lot of bang for a hand slot.
 Fairy.Vegetto
サーバ: Fairy
user: Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-01-13 11:48:55  
Which hands give 20 acc? let me know lol. But for acc hands (+10 btw), I use them w/o focus up and use Bkote with focus up.

As for charger's, waste of money. If it costs an equal amount in beastcoins as amemet+1 or forager's, then it would be worth considering but its not so yea
 Lakshmi.Kleric
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Icefie
By Lakshmi.Kleric 2009-01-13 11:49:01  
I would think if you have merits into h2h skill and / or the sea torque, then focus attack on other pieces imho
 Odin.Forix
サーバ: Odin
user: Forix
By Odin.Forix 2009-01-13 11:51:52  
For Weaponskills you should use a decent amount of accuracy gear as well. Focusing on STR or VIT only, aka the modifiers, will improve damage, but with many of WS that are multihit, accuracy becomes more important. You will hit harder hit per hit if you focus on the modifiers but you might also miss dealing less than you would if you had more accuracy. Accuracy would improve your DoT by helping you miss less often, not just for WS. You will hit slightly weaker but you will make it up with more consistent damage. Overall, a balance of Accuracy and Attack gear is the best bet and just macro in other gear depending on the WS.
 Fairy.Tbest
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-01-13 11:52:39  
I just try to keep the mobs I'm fighting at low evasion with gear/food. After I hit low eva I start throwing on the haste gear. After haste comes the str/attack. And then of course, you macro in the str/attack for any ws's. Str will mod your Raging Fists and Asuran Fists, BUT you need to make sure you get all 5/8 hits as consistantly as possible first.

As for the back piece, go Amemet +1, then upgrade to a Foragers if you want. The Charger isn't going to be that great for you as mnk. Str+2-3 > 5 atk imo. But when you start talking about things like O Kote's +20 or B Kote's +22 atk, it outweighs any str you'll get from even the Alkyoneus's Bracelet's which give +11.

Hope that made some sense.

Edit: lol, I guess I should focus less on work to get the faster replies! >.>
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-01-13 11:53:00  
sorry I made an error on hands its +10 acc (Noritsune Kote 74 DEF:23 Accuracy+10)

Well I have put some h2h merits, I think I will get the amemet mantle +1 since I use it for my war anyways too.
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-01-13 11:53:11  
Kleric said:
I would think if you have merits into h2h skill and / or the sea torque, then focus attack on other pieces imho

Based on your current acc more than your other gear. Having h2h merits and sea torque rly don't have much to do with it at all.
I use this gear set on Greater Colibri (and don't need madrigal)

Destroyers/empty/empty/Black Tathlum
Usukane Somen/Faith Torque/Brutal Earring/Minuet earring
Shura Togi+1/Usukane Gote (Bkote with focus up)/Toreador's/Toreador's
Forager's/Black Belt/Byakko's Haidate/Usukane Sune-Ate

And I have 85% hit rate on the lv 82 Greater Colibri (Higher on the 81 Gcolibri) with this gear. WIth focus up, I swap out Usu gloves for bkote and Rajas in for one of the toreador's and my total acc is usually 88-90%.
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-01-13 11:58:02  
I don't miss alot when I fight mobs in a pt close at my level but I did miss alot when I level synced down to 60-61 last night in a pt.

So for legs, I don't have any haidates :( yet and I don't have the rank yet to get any cobra gear.
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-01-13 12:09:07  
the pt you sync to is probably overcamping. Each lv the mob is higher than your character you get a 4 acc penalty (or they get a 4 eva bonus, but either way u get the point)
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-01-13 12:20:44  
When I levelled MNK back in the day (and I only took it to 33 so don't know how useful this is) I always went for Accuracy as my number one priority, my reasoning being that hitting a mob most of the time for less damage is better then hitting it SOME of the time for more. I am Elvaan, so I was plenty strong anyways, but Elvaan's have piss poor dexterity. I generally stacked as much +acc or +dex gear as I could, followed by +str...with the exception of my belts, which I always used Purple Belt for the haste, and would have gotten Brown Belt if I'd gotten that high (still might, been thinking about soloing it /DNC, heard it pwns ^^)

At any rate, hopefully something I said was useful, and if not, well, sorry I clogged up the thread ^^
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-01-13 12:26:44  
Well me being Mithra I have alot of Dex and I have crit hit merits also too along with double atk merits too so I think I may get some acc too since I do pretty well in dmg so far.

I can live without the haste in legs and feet can't i?
and just use alternatives until I get a haidate
 Fairy.Tbest
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-01-13 12:50:26  
Double Attack merits won't matter on your Monk though. It's main job only for job specific merits.
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-01-13 13:06:15  
Alyria said:
I can live without the haste in legs and feet can't i?
and just use alternatives until I get a haidate

I'm sure you could live without the Haste, but let me tell you, a MNK that's got good Haste gear on is an impressive sight to see. I partied with a 75 MNK in Temple of Ugly, farming for a few different things, and he was RIDICULOUS, it's like he never stopped swinging, literally CRUSHING stuff lol ^^
 Asura.Yotevol
サーバ: Asura
user: Yotevol
By Asura.Yotevol 2009-01-13 13:11:26  
Xxnumbertwoxx said:
I'm sure you could live without the Haste, but let me tell you, a MNK that's got good Haste gear on is an impressive sight to see. I partied with a 75 MNK in Temple of Ugly, farming for a few different things, and he was RIDICULOUS, it's like he never stopped swinging, literally CRUSHING stuff lol ^^

I, wholeheartedly, agree.
My gf is a 75MNK, with Byakko's Haidate, Shura Togi, Wal-mart Turban and all the most pimp gear (except BlackBelt)- and she hits like a freakin semi-truck, believe me, I know! (she got charmed and pummeled me with her fists of fury! - lol)

~Yotevol
Leader of LavitzReborn, a relaxed Sky/Sea Linkshell
Apply at www.lavitzreborn.tk
 Leviathan.Celestinia
サーバ: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celestinia 2009-01-13 13:16:05  
Just wondering... How much +% haste do you need to see a noticeable difference? Being pld/war and blm main I havent used any haste gear before but now im doing melee DD i'm guessing haste > everything? Or is it more important for jobs like Monk or Nin than it is for Sam or Drk?
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-01-13 13:18:52  
well i have the turban already for when i hit 75 and a OHat, shura togi will be a while unless i find seals for reasonable prices. I can get some fumas I guess for haste build too. I do have an osode til I can get an shura togi. I just dont have legs,feet, and better hands than horomusha kotes. A ls member has full Usukane set but it will be a long while to get any usu too.
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-01-13 14:07:44  
The thing about kitty pants is that its not only 5% haste, but you also get 7 acc from the 15 dex, w/o having full usukane, nothing even comes close.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-01-13 14:54:10  
The above post is pretty inaccurate. The reason its better to equip attack than str on monk isn't because str does nothing. Its because the AMOUNT of attack you can get in a lot of slots as compared to the amount of str you can get in that slot.

The general rule of thumb is x2 the str's amount in attack. For example, you wouldn't wear a str+2 earring over an attack+6 ring, but if there was a str+6 earring, it would be far superior to the attack+6 earring.

That being said, we'll look at Amemet+1 and Forager's
Amemet+1 is 15 attack 2 str which comes out to be 16 attack total (2 str = 1 attack) but can also raise your Fstr. 5 attack vs 2str isn't going to be much of a difference. I thing charger's would win out, but not enough to warrant spending 150 beast coins on.
Then you have forager's which is 15 attack and 3 str. 5 attack isn't double 3 str and unless your Fstr is capped, forager's has a 75% chance of increasing your Fstr (takes 4 str to raise Fstr by 1) and even that is cheaper than charger's.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [52 days between previous and next post]
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-03-06 10:05:50  
Ok I have another question for monk. Where can you skill up h2h from 240-256, I need a place I can solo skill up and just PL myself if needed. I tried killing the tigers in bhaflau thickets and i got 1 skill up but it stopped skilling up off of them.

I know someone will post www.ffxi-atlas.com but its not working for the skill up mobs. It worked before but guess whomever updated it, messed up.

Is there any other sites? I know what my skill caps are for the level so I dont need a chart.
 Fairy.Blackmist
user: Blackmist
By Fairy.Blackmist 2009-03-06 11:35:11  
Can't you do crabs in the top level of the tree? I know i was getting skill ups on my G-axe on War witch i think is still about 6 skill ups from Caping out *lol +.5 skill up on kirin <.>*
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-03-06 11:36:54  
I can try, i'd be level 71 if that makes a difference for them.
 Siren.Enternius
サーバ: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-03-06 11:40:50  
Is there any reason you can't skill up in an actual party?

Edit: Also, you can hit 276 on any skill on Steelshells on the upper floor of Boyahda. But they're tough to solo, especially at 71, and will rip your PL to shreds before you can even kill a single one.
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-03-06 11:42:46  
Enternius said:
Is there any reason you can't skill up in an actual party?

.... yea its called Level Sync that has me at 240 skill at lvl 71, so all the pt's i had at 68 i was already capped so couldnt skill anymore.

Well that's why I was asking for a place for lvl 71 that I can get some skill ups off of.
 Siren.Enternius
サーバ: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-03-06 11:43:48  
So make your own party and have everyone sync to you. You have all the good merit options available at 71.
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-03-06 11:45:26  
Enternius said:
So make your own party and have everyone sync to you. You have all the good merit options available at 71.

sigh nevermind sorry I bothered to ask
 Fairy.Basilo
user: Basilo
By Fairy.Basilo 2009-03-06 11:53:19  
This has completely no relevance at all except for the word monk, but humoured me slightly....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0Cxur0t8e0&feature=channel
 Sylph.Zadig
サーバ: Sylph
user: Zadig
By Sylph.Zadig 2009-03-06 12:31:13  
I've found the fastest way to skill up if you can't find (or don't want) a party is to just go to besieged. The monsters are much higher than anything you'd probably fight in a party anyways and you probably won't get too much hate if you're under skilled. If you're missing too much I would suggest sole sushi.
One more thing, if you're in it to just to skill up and your homepoint is in WG, just home point everytime you do die instead of waiting for raise and weakness to wear off.
First Page 2