サーバ: Shiva
Game: FFXI
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-20 15:23:37  
Fenrir.Tool said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Fenrir.Tool said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Also using a volleyball as a weapon doesn't work

Sorry Wakka, I guess your not allowed to join the party!

Don't forget slots, Sorry Cait-sith and Setzer, I guess you have to stay outside. Barret with a gun arm, get out, that is illogical. Animated moogles! Illogical, GTFO Lulu.

I have no problem with weighted sports balls, firearm prosthetics, or voodooism.

I guess it's simply the lack of form and function within the gunblade that makes me look down upon it.

Fantasy

Fantasy applies to every previous weapon you mentioned, and they at least made some sense in how they worked. Gunblade falls into the grey area unfortunately.

Magic bullet powering an explosion at the tip of the blade.

There we go.
 Siren.Enternius
サーバ: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-08-20 15:25:17  
Fenrir.Tool said:
Siren.Enternius said:
Actually, you know what, of all fictional weapons that I've seen in the past years, I'd hazard a guess to say that gunblades are the most realistic of any of them. Laser weapons, blasters, time-controlling metallic arm things, everything Flion listed, plasma explosives, the list can go on.

While some of these things may, eventually, be possible, I could foresee someone building a makeshift gunblade in their basement for 50 dollars, as it stands today. It's definitely the least impossible of all of the above.

Possible maybe. But practical? Almost never.
Well you can argue that about a lot of things. As long as it takes off a limb, it's a good enough weapon.

Then again, I have a sledgehammer that does this:

Possible? Not really. Practical? Not really. Awesome? Hell yes. A good weapon? Hell yes.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-20 15:25:44  
Also

Pistol Sword
[+]
 Fenrir.Tool
サーバ: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Tool 2010-08-20 15:26:38  
But based on the design: Where is the barrel? Where does this bullet go? Is there a chamber for the cylinder which holds these bullets for whatever makeshift revolver was grafted onto this blade? Where is the hammer? Does a pistol grip make an ideal hilt?
 Fenrir.Tool
By Fenrir.Tool 2010-08-20 15:27:24  
Shiva.Flionheart said:

Still looks like a bayonet to me ._.
 Fenrir.Tool
By Fenrir.Tool 2010-08-20 15:28:04  
Siren.Enternius said:
Fenrir.Tool said:
Siren.Enternius said:
Actually, you know what, of all fictional weapons that I've seen in the past years, I'd hazard a guess to say that gunblades are the most realistic of any of them. Laser weapons, blasters, time-controlling metallic arm things, everything Flion listed, plasma explosives, the list can go on.

While some of these things may, eventually, be possible, I could foresee someone building a makeshift gunblade in their basement for 50 dollars, as it stands today. It's definitely the least impossible of all of the above.

Possible maybe. But practical? Almost never.
Well you can argue that about a lot of things. As long as it takes off a limb, it's a good enough weapon.

Then again, I have a sledgehammer that does this:

Possible? Not really. Practical? Not really. Awesome? Hell yes. A good weapon? Hell yes.

Hey, sledgehammers are always practical for smashing in faces :3
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-20 15:28:31  
After a bit of digging

In Final Fantasy VIII, all forms of Gunblade consist of some sort of sword blade with some type of gun action built into the hilt, with its barrel running inside the length of the blade. They are mostly used like normal swords, but triggering a round sends a shockwave through the blade, creating a vibration as the weapon passes through an opponent to increase damage.

Should explain the function of the gunblade.

And if we're talking ideal weapons here, we should turn every weapon into a gun, because a gun is always more effective than a sword. Final Fantasy isn't based on effective weaponry.
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-08-20 15:29:57  
Fenrir.Tool said:
But based on the design: Where is the barrel? Where does this bullet go? Is there a chamber for the cylinder which holds these bullets for whatever makeshift revolver was grafted onto this blade? Where is the hammer? Does a pistol grip make an ideal hilt?
I already answered most of these, theoretically.

As far as a pistol grip making a good hilt:

What makes a tulwar's hilt any worse?
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-08-20 15:32:43  
Shiva.Flionheart said:
After a bit of digging

In Final Fantasy VIII, all forms of Gunblade consist of some sort of sword blade with some type of gun action built into the hilt, with its barrel running inside the length of the blade. They are mostly used like normal swords, but triggering a round sends a shockwave through the blade, creating a vibration as the weapon passes through an opponent to increase damage.

Should explain the function of the gunblade.

And if we're talking ideal weapons here, we should turn every weapon into a gun, because a gun is always more effective than a sword. Final Fantasy isn't based on effective weaponry.
Guns are too ineffective. Let's just nuke the whole world and beat the game in 2 minutes.
 Siren.Temeraire
user: Temeraire
By Siren.Temeraire 2010-08-20 15:33:30  
Siren.Enternius said:
Fenrir.Tool said:
I already answered most of these, theoretically. As far as a pistol grip making a good hilt: What makes a tulwar's hilt any worse?

Goblin makes up for his hilt with his codpiece.
 Fenrir.Tool
By Fenrir.Tool 2010-08-20 15:33:53  
Well, ideally for any kind of firearm use you would want a handle that is near 90° to withstand the recoil. Which I really can't see being conducive to a sword.
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-08-20 15:35:42  
Fenrir.Tool said:
Well, ideally for any kind of firearm use you would want a handle that is near 90° to withstand the recoil. Which I really can't see being conducive to a sword.
Well a gunblade's handle is at 45 degrees, recoil wouldn't be in issue because you're swinging the weapon, just need the timing right. There's no right way to direct the recoil. And assuming some form of propulsion other than your typical gunpowder, recoil would be greatly reduced.

Fenrir.Tool
By Fenrir.Tool 2010-08-20 15:39:54  
It just doesn't seem to make sense to me. The nature of guns is that you receive recoil forcing the opposite direction of the projection, which would be counter productive to the action of swinging a sword.
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-08-20 15:42:16  
Fenrir.Tool said:
The nature of gunpowder is that you receive recoil forcing the opposite direction of the projection

Fixed. Yes, you will have recoil in the opposite direction, but there are a lot of ways to correct that. The Vector for instance, directs the recoil from directly back, to downward, which would be even more beneficial to a gunblade's design.
 Phoenix.Oumura
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Oumura
By Phoenix.Oumura 2010-08-20 16:38:08  
I love how this went from an XIV discussion to freaking gunblades and toaster-spears...wtf? >.>
[+]
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-08-20 16:39:59  
The gunblade part was still FFXIV-related, though.
By Wackatramp 2010-08-21 14:31:52  
Magian trial Gunblade anyone? I wonder if they'll have trial like leve's for armor/weapons and such..
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-08-21 14:38:41  
I really hope they don't ruin FFXIV with trials...
By Wackatramp 2010-08-21 14:42:05  
My thoughts also
First Page 2 3 ... 10 11