Eorzeapedia slams Gameinformer for snubbing XIV at
First Page 2
 Gilgamesh.Tirantus
サーバ: Gilgamesh
Game: FFXI
user: Tirantus
By Gilgamesh.Tirantus 2010-08-02 22:10:26  
http://www.eorzeapedia.com/2010/07/30/gamemisinformer/#more-4365

While the rant does have some good points. Usually something like this wouldn't be very convincing. However this combined with the fact that the day the information about the alpha test (which at the time was very broken, unbalanced, and suffered server instability) was leaked, GI plastered info on it all over their front page on their website. Questionable journalism at best, immoral journalism at worst.

On top of that in the following issue they had the nerve to print a 2 page article about said alpha that basically consisted of slamming it for the most part and saying how much it isn't WoW. Only to mention once (at the very end of the article) a tiny little blurb about how the game is still in pre-beta and could change drastically by the time of release.

I'm interested in what others think. Is GI intentionally snubbing XIV? Are they too far up WoW's *** to be unbiased? They can't seem to print a single issue without praising WoW and being overly critical of any other MMO released.

Or are the people at Eorzeapedia just being overly defensive and sensitive?
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2010-08-02 22:17:03  
I take whatever GI says the same way I take the local FOX news, with a mountain of salt.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Fenrir.Vazerus
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Vazerus
By Fenrir.Vazerus 2010-08-02 22:41:04  
Pandemonium.Spicyryan said:
Eorzeapedia sucks *** and does not help me in anyway when I am on the beta.

FFXIV sucks *** too, so it deserves to be slammed.
wat
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
サーバ: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-02 22:43:41  
I wont go as far as some but 14 does need alot of work and polish and improvement.

It is however very very pretty
By pedion 2010-08-02 22:46:19  
FFXIV is horrible but has some pretty graphics...If what I have played is anything like the finished product, then I will stick with ffxi for good.
[+]
 Ramuh.Haseyo
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2010-08-02 22:47:48  
Who cares.
It's pretty.
 Fenrir.Vazerus
By Fenrir.Vazerus 2010-08-02 22:49:53  
Ramuh.Dasva said:
I wont go as far as some but 14 does need alot of work and polish and improvement.

It is however very very pretty
I haven't been able to play the beta at all, aside from character creation (nothing runs it in this household, /sigh), but that's a very true statement for almost any new MMO hitting the market. It all depends on how much effort/money SE wants to put into it to fix, improve, and add content.

I've beta tested a few MMOs (PlanetSide, Earth & Beyond, and another I'm forgetting), and each one changed drastically from the end of beta to 1-2 years after release. I was fairly amazed at the amount of tweaking and additions that were given to PlanetSide more specifically, because that's the only MMO of the three that I continued with for a lengthy amount of time.
 Ramuh.Dasva
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-02 22:52:10  
Oh I know they will improve it... but it does make donig stuff kinda annoying right now.

1-2 years from now I'm sure it would be friggin amazing... but isn't it being released later this year?
 Fenrir.Vazerus
By Fenrir.Vazerus 2010-08-02 22:57:41  
Personally I think they should have held off release until AT LEAST around Christmas time; isn't the PC version releasing next month or so?

I guess I don't have much to go on, considering I can't even play it. I'm just hoping for another solid MMO to play with my friends, and this was looking good up until the "not being able to play due to sucky computers" bit xD. I'm just annoyed with statements that just say "ffxiv sucks, eorzaepedia sucks" without elaborating on it.

-edit- Back on topic about GameInformer not covering FFXIV really at all, I believe it's simply that SE isn't buying any advertising space, and GI is mad about that, so they decided not to feature them at all. Sadly that's how it works now, or so I've read... even if you are supposed to be an unbiased game news source.
 Shiva.Snojoe
サーバ: Shiva
user: snojoe
By Shiva.Snojoe 2010-08-02 22:58:35  
I think it's a bit of both sides.

On the one hand, GI is just notorious for only focusing on the big, non-WoW-MMO titles -- uh, Hello? The entire feature article is on Dragon Age 2! -- they only feature the "big" titles like that! So it should be no surprise that FFXIV barely gets a mention. And given everything else that went on at E3 -- Kinect, Move, all of the other semi-major unveilings and the like, I'm really not surprised at all that I didn't find one other mention of XIV in there.

On the other hand, though, Eorzeapedia is probably getting a little too uppity on their horse, and trying to act like they're the only people who have a gripe with GI; the game is still in Beta, and -- if all the stuff I've read online is ANY inclination to how the final product is going to end up -- perhaps no mention is better than a complete and total bashing of it up and down.

That said, though, I don't see any other companies/blogs/etc., coming out and bitching that GI/[insert other magazine of choice here] didn't cover their game/booth/press conference, and the reason for that is there IS just so much going on at E3, and there IS a deadline for magazines that they're not going to be able to focus on every little game that's featured, even if it means XIV gets snubbed.

Let's just all face it, though; MMO's aren't for everyone, and I think a lot of people are, unfortunately, still trying to -- their words, not mine -- get the sting of FFXIII out of their mouths before trying to gulp down a big heaping spoonful of XIV. They've had their Final Fantasy fill, and they're not looking to the next one any time soon.

Yeah, GI is totally in bed with Blizzard and sucking WoW off like Anna Nicole used to, but in all reality, I think both sides are pretty much right in their stances.

Not all game players play MMOs, but all MMO players play games.

Post deleted by User.
 Fenrir.Vazerus
By Fenrir.Vazerus 2010-08-02 23:16:21  
I lol'd, and now I'm going to bed xD
 Ramuh.Thunderz
user: Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2010-08-02 23:18:06  
the game does need a lot of work. Lets wait for release
 Kujata.Akeda
サーバ: Kujata
user: Akeda
By Kujata.Akeda 2010-08-02 23:23:50  
Ramuh.Haseyo said:
Who cares.
It's pretty.

That's what people say about the iphone4 too.

'It drops every call I make, but its pretty and Apple makes it'.

tl;dr GI and a lot of other game sites are ***.

[+]
 Lakshmi.Phen
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: phen
By Lakshmi.Phen 2010-08-02 23:36:02  
The difference from the alpha to the beta was immense (entire menu layout, the major mechanic of the combat system) so while 6 months ago i would say it was dead in the water now its up in the air. Also judging the game on the equivalent amount of the world being opened up as san d'oria, plateau, and dunes is brashly unfair. Give it some time.

Post deleted by User.
By ryfen 2010-08-03 10:16:28  
I'm actually looking forward to 14 when its released. I agree the UI needs tweaking, but I'm sure it will be pretty solid in the next month for release. Unless your pc is a dinosaur, i dont think it should cost an arm and a leg to even build it out as a midrange machine...
 Leviathan.Zephriel
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Zephriel
By Leviathan.Zephriel 2010-08-03 10:24:21  
Ramuh.Haseyo said:
Who cares.
It's pretty.

Aion was pretty too. Look how far that got it.
 Midgardsormr.Zenshiro
サーバ: Midgardsormr
By Midgardsormr.Zenshiro 2010-08-03 10:29:07  
FFXIV may need a lot of work but you have to understand that FFXI is dead and right now SE does not care for FFXI anymore ffxiv is there new game and that it. Stay all you want in ffxi but soon they shut down ffxi you all have to find a new mmo and if you end up going to ffxiv you be noob with everyone high lvl this is why i quit ffxi months ago. + ppl in the game now are just *** no point in playing it's just not fun anymore.
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-03 10:29:37  
Beta.

BETA.

Seriously, this is the reason NDA's are made.
 Fenrir.Tool
By Fenrir.Tool 2010-08-03 10:30:47  
Midgardsormr.Zenshiro said:
FFXIV may need a lot of work but you have to understand that FFXI is dead and right now SE does not care for FFXI anymore ffxiv is there new game and that it. Stay all you want in ffxi but soon they shut down ffxi you all have to find a new mmo and if you end up going to ffxiv you be noob with everyone high lvl this is why i quit ffxi months ago. + ppl in the game now are just *** no point in playing it's just not fun anymore.

I am really sick of hearing this, especially since they're, ya know, two completely different games entirely.
[+]
 Asura.Biddy
サーバ: Asura
user: BunkMonk
By Asura.Biddy 2010-08-03 10:38:12  
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Beta.

BETA.

I wouldn't expect a community that thinks it is perfectly fine to cheat/bot/rmt in a game, despite it being against the rules the developer set in place, would place much merit in holding to a NDA when there is little to no legal repercussions.
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-03 10:39:51  
Asura.Biddy said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Beta.

BETA.

I wouldn't expect a community that thinks it is perfectly fine to cheat/bot/rmt in a game, despite it being against the rules the developer set in place, would place much merit in holding to a NDA when there is little to no legal repercussions.

But it does make every negative argument they have about the game moot.
 Phoenix.Oumura
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Oumura
By Phoenix.Oumura 2010-08-03 10:42:10  
Fenrir.Tool said:
Midgardsormr.Zenshiro said:

I am really sick of hearing this, especially since they're ya know, two completely different games entirely.
^This. There is absolutely no comparison between the two games. Two entirely diff dev teams. They still have planned content. If you hate the damn game so much then just leave.

On topic:
While I agree XIV is in fact feeling a bit rushed, I have to say that SE has *somewhat* learned something over time with FFXI. They are actually taking player feedback to heart. Beta was a massive improvement over Alpha and they've been quick to address most, if not all problems that have cropped up while running. They may not have everything down pat (honestly they don't) but its progressing. They're listening to constructive feedback, not people crying about a *** cursor. (Theres an entire thread of people QQing about how the goddamn mouse cursor looks...seriously.) Barring the constant and inevitable comparisons to WoW by the retards that still play it, its not that bad. (Inb4 fanboy. I played WoW for quite some time. Hated it.)

Again though, I do believe a September release is a mistake, but thats not our call to make. If anything people can wait until its PS3 release next March and hope that most of the necessary adjustments have been made. If not, then keep playing FFXI if it bothers you that much. Don't sit a *** about how its gonna suck, or its garbage. Honestly half the people whining about it probably weren't/aren't in the Alpha/Beta.

/endrant
Tired of hearing people ***. And I myself am now done doing it.
 Cerberus.Kalyna
サーバ: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Kalyna 2010-08-03 10:46:23  
what page is this FFXIV thing in the new GI?

/gets pen ready

i wanna read what BS they have this time.

Even tho I go to GameStop to get all my games (cuz Best Buy is always so damn crowded) and that i have a GI subscription, I really don't read the magazines but i just look at the perdy pictures. Every magazine bullshits. Every newspaper bullshits. That's the way of life.

as for FFXIV, nothing's gonna change it. Yeah, i've head stories of it being horrriblleee and i've heard stories of it being awesome. To each their own. This is why i hope Square-Enix gives a Demo for 14 for both PS3 and PC (and hopfully 360 if microsoft would get their *** out of their *** and allow their users to play with PS3 people, i mean they did it with PS2 version)

as for ffxi being dead, LOL there's 2-3k people on cerberus usually and there's like 20k people total playing ffxi with new players coming every day. FFXI won't die.

Like it or hate it, it's what S-E is giving us. You have the choice of playing it or not.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kalyna
サーバ: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Kalyna 2010-08-03 10:48:54  
Asura.Andevom said:
Wait, people still read video game magazines?
OF course! I read it while taking a ***and use the *** stores as toilet paper!
[+]
 Asura.Biddy
サーバ: Asura
user: BunkMonk
By Asura.Biddy 2010-08-03 10:51:22  
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Asura.Biddy said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Beta.

BETA.

But it does make every negative argument they have about the game moot.

It is silly to be forming their opinions on the game from the Beta. Things can still, and probably will, change drastically for the final version. But hey, people like to share their opinions because it makes them feel special. :p
First Page 2