New Forum Mod
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
 Leviathan.Chaosx
サーバ: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2010-09-13 22:04:05  
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
I'm pretty sure there's nothing in the code preventing Scragg from banning me, Cliff, or vice versa. It would be a stupid use case to code for.

That being said, we could both just hit the DB directly or hit a shell on the server and undo it, unless someone went through the additional steps to lock the other out of everything. In that case, as the server accounts are all in Scragg's name, I'm sure he would eventually win any such war of attrition.

And I wish banning someone was that epic. It's pretty anti-climactic. I just un-check a box in your account settings and it's over.
Is that Cliff from Cheers? I'd def ban him!
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-09-13 22:06:10  
Leviathan.Chaosx said:
That would be Spradlin. =p

Speaking of, we need to add Krizz to that page now.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
サーバ: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2010-09-13 22:10:46  
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Leviathan.Chaosx said:

Wait a minute, you make games for Disney?

Did you work on that new Kingdom Hearts game I saw a commercial for?
 Fenrir.Shallow
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Shallow
By Fenrir.Shallow 2010-09-13 22:16:50  
Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Leviathan.Chaosx said:

Birth By Sleep?? I is waiting for mine to arrive! ; ;

Edit: I forgot to say congratulations! :D

C {} |\| G R /-\ T (_) 1 /-\ T ! {} |\| $ Krizz!!!!
 Alexander.Ultrarichard
サーバ: Alexander
By Alexander.Ultrarichard 2010-09-13 22:20:17  
Fenrir.Shallow said:
Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Leviathan.Chaosx said:

Birth By Sleep?? I is waiting for mine to arrive! ; ;

Edit: I forgot to say congratulations! :D

C {} |\| G R /-\ T (_) 1 /-\ T ! {} |\| $ Krizz!!!!

offtopic, you love it! gf has been playing it like non-stop lol.

Also, congratulations err.. Krizz. Hope you actually mod ***up.
 Fenrir.Schutz
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2010-09-13 22:20:25  
I think games like Sorority Life. ^^

I played it, though...you can't get drunk on 151 and knocked up by some party crasher, so it's not a real sim.
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
サーバ: Phoenix
user: AnnaMolly
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-09-13 22:23:34  
Ultrarichard is what Richard turns into, when he's trained for 35 mins in a time chamber, found the 7 chaos emeralds and 50 golden rings.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-09-13 22:24:52  
I make back-end server and client platform code, upon which other internal studios make games. (Like Sorority Life.) I have very little hand in what is actually made with my stuff, but at the moment the big push is in social games, like City of Wonder.

Kingdom Hearts is a weird cross-company license between Disney and SE, and was completed before we were acquired anyway, so I didn't have a chance to work on it.
[+]
 Phoenix.Darki
user: Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-09-13 22:25:46  
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
I make back-end server and client platform code, upon which other internal studios make games. (Like Sorority Life.) I have very little hand in what is actually made with my stuff, but at the moment the big push is in social games, like purl=http://www.facebook.com/cityofwonder]City of Wonder[/url].

Kingdom Hearts is a weird cross-company license between Disney and SE, and was completed before we were acquired anyway, so I didn't have a chance to work on it.

i play city of wonder

shame on me .-.

who wants to add me though? ~~~ <3
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-09-13 22:26:47  
Jae, ever been a GM of a game before?
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-09-13 22:28:02  
I was a GM for both Ultima Online and Everquest, before moving more into the development side of things ages and ages ago.
[+]
By Flionheart 2010-09-13 22:28:44  
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
I was a GM for both Ultima Online and Everquest, before moving more into the development side of things ages and ages ago.

Was the power intoxicating? or was it pretty boring?
By Flionheart 2010-09-13 22:29:12  
Also we need an: "Ask Jaerik" topic
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-09-13 22:29:16  
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
I was a GM for both Ultima Online and Everquest, back when first starting in the industry ~12 years ago.

Oh. Hey, any idea what FFXIV GMs look like? I hope they either look like FFXII Judges or like FFXI GMs with better graphics.
By Flionheart 2010-09-13 22:30:09  
Phoenix.Kojo said:
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
I was a GM for both Ultima Online and Everquest, back when first starting in the industry ~12 years ago.

Oh. Hey, any idea what FFXIV GMs look like? I hope they either look like FFXII Judges or like FFXI GMs with better graphics.

They've got an unique skin apparently.
 Asura.Daleterrence
サーバ: Asura
user: Dalight
By Asura.Daleterrence 2010-09-13 22:30:20  
Phoenix.Kojo said:
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

I think judge looking characters are part of the storyline, so I'd wager they will make them look completely different to keep them seperated.
 Fenrir.Shallow
user: Shallow
By Fenrir.Shallow 2010-09-13 22:30:33  
Flionheart said:
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
I was a GM for both Ultima Online and Everquest, back when first starting in the industry ~12-15 years ago.

Can imagine..all a GM does in FFXI is appear and everyone gathers around taking screenshots like tourists.. "Oh honey that gorilla is pickin his butt! Take a picture of me with the animal behind me!" *click*...
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-09-13 22:30:41  
Flionheart said:
Phoenix.Kojo said:
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

Got any pics?
 Alexander.Ultrarichard
By Alexander.Ultrarichard 2010-09-13 22:30:48  
Phoenix.Kojo said:
Ultrarichard is what Richard turns into, when he's trained for 35 mins in a time chamber, found the 7 chaos emeralds and 50 golden rings.

Sup with people doing that recently.. you're like the 4th person to say "Ultrarichard is what richard..." just this week..

It's confusing me hard :( I've had this name for nearly 11 years damn it.
By Flionheart 2010-09-13 22:31:47  
Phoenix.Kojo said:
Flionheart said:
Phoenix.Kojo said:
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

Got any pics?

Nah, it was in an interview, Sage sundi said that they had unique skins and that GM's shouldn't hang around towns.
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-09-13 22:32:01  
Alexander.Ultrarichard said:
Phoenix.Kojo said:
Sup with people doing that recently.. you're like the 4th person to say "Ultrarichard is what richard..." just this week.. It's confusing me hard :( I've had this name for nearly 11 years damn it.

Dunno, I just felt like saying it.. I thought it was original. ._.
 Asura.Daleterrence
サーバ: Asura
user: Dalight
By Asura.Daleterrence 2010-09-13 22:32:12  
Alexander.Ultrarichard said:
Phoenix.Kojo said:

Sup with people doing that recently.. you're like the 4th person to say "Ultrarichard is what richard..." just this week..

It's confusing me hard :( I've had this name for nearly 11 years damn it.

Because it took that long for people to realise.
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-09-13 22:32:42  
Flionheart said:
Phoenix.Kojo said:
Flionheart said:
Phoenix.Kojo said:
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Got any pics?
Nah, it was in an interview, Sage sundi said that they had unique skins and that GM's shouldn't hang around towns.

I wanna see one...
 Ramuh.Dasva
サーバ: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-09-13 22:34:04  
Phoenix.Kojo said:
Flionheart said:
Phoenix.Kojo said:
Flionheart said:
Phoenix.Kojo said:
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Got any pics?
I wanna see one...
Break the rules
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-09-13 22:39:01  
well i guess that does away with the vagina requirement

i guess the new secret requirement is that mods have to be horribly gimp gearwise
 Alexander.Xgalahadx
user: xgalahadx
By Alexander.Xgalahadx 2010-09-13 22:40:43  
GM
 Bahamut.Stanflame
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Stanflame
By Bahamut.Stanflame 2010-09-13 22:41:20  
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

I may have gotten in trouble with Jaerik several times =/. I miss those days :(.

it is a small world after all~!
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-09-13 22:41:27  
Flionheart said:
It's incredibly intoxicating for about 72 hours, but that's it.

GM's are cogs. At least back then, they were low-paid ($9/hr, no benefits) folks all about 18-22 years old. They were also expendable. There were hundreds of resumes on file for every open GM position, and if a GM stepped even a tiny bit out of line, they were usually fired on the first offense. Easier just to replace them.

They had no communication with the dev team, and in fact are usually prohibited by company policy from even speaking to them. They also had virtually no leeway in how to handle each situation, required to follow a manual at all times.

The job is thankless, stressful, and unrewarding, but can serve as a stepping stone into the industry if you don't hang yourself first.

Of course sometimes you get the real fun days, when a user you just banned drives across the country and tries to smash through your office window with a cinder block, carrying a 14" knife. (True story.) You quickly come to hate and/or fear just about every player you ever speak to.
[+]
By Flionheart 2010-09-13 22:43:29  
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Flionheart said:

GM's are cogs. At least back then, they were low-paid ($9/hr, no benefits) folks all about 18-22 years old. They were also expendable. There were hundreds of resumes on file for every open GM position, and if a GM stepped even a tiny bit out of line, they were usually fired on the first offense. Easier just to replace them.

They had no communication with the dev team, and in fact are usually prohibited by company policy from even speaking to them. They also had virtually no leeway in how to handle each situation, required to follow a manual at all times.

The job is thankless, stressful, and unrewarding, but can serve as a stepping stone into the industry if you don't hang yourself first.

Of course sometimes you get the real fun days, when a user you just banned drives across the country and tries to smash through your office window with a cinder block, carrying a 14" knife. (True story.) You quickly come to hate and/or fear just about every player you ever speak to.

Ok that sounds incredibly funny... I assume you work from an office then, I always thought GM's worked from home.

Interesting though, I was wondering why they never had advertisements up for GM's, I assume you have to be a part of the industry first. Cool insight, thanks.
 Bahamut.Stanflame
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Stanflame
By Bahamut.Stanflame 2010-09-13 22:44:15  
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Flionheart said:

what the hell...
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8