New Trailer! 14th September
 Leviathan.Catnipthief
サーバ: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Fyyvoaa
By Leviathan.Catnipthief 2010-09-14 16:22:10  
Phoenix.Oumura said:
Titan.Eiryn said:
Something I noticed from the trailer was the fireballs from the sky that you see in your opening CSs, I hope SE keeps with a storyline kind of atmosphere and doesn't just stick things all over the game without any rhyme or reason like they did in FFXI. I love a good backstory that can take you out of the grind and keep you interested like a good book.
While on the topic of continuity, the same song plays for each opening city's CS at one point or another. After having the OST and listening to the song itself, I'm still scratching my head as to its significance within the story. While each city has its own entry, these "fireballs" and that song are the only constants. I'm curious as to how it will link each one.

It'll show up eventually i'm sure.
 Asura.Kowen
サーバ: Asura
user: Kowen
By Asura.Kowen 2010-09-14 16:24:25  
Phoenix.Oumura said:
Titan.Eiryn said:
Something I noticed from the trailer was the fireballs from the sky that you see in your opening CSs, I hope SE keeps with a storyline kind of atmosphere and doesn't just stick things all over the game without any rhyme or reason like they did in FFXI. I love a good backstory that can take you out of the grind and keep you interested like a good book.
While on the subject of continuity, the same song plays for each opening city's CS at one point or another. After having the OST and listening to the song itself, I'm still scratching my head as to its significance within the story. While each city has its own entry, these "fireballs" and that song are the only two constants. I'm curious as to how it will link each one.

I'm a story/lore-nut so its these kinds of things that get me excited about rather large games. Theres just so much to tell...

In the pre-release trailer there are a few quick shots of scenes with characters from all 3 cities' stories fighting together. I bet the 3 story lines will end up converging at some point.
By Artemicion 2010-09-14 16:25:41  
Perhaps that song will essentially be a strong plot device used in the story much like Memoria de la Ŝtona was for FFXI, used in almost every storyline.
By Artemicion 2010-09-14 16:34:27  
But yeah... Trailer looks epic. I almost regret that I am going to put XIV on hold to keep playing XI, but not really. Gonna wait til things settle and sort out and get myself some better hardware to run it comfortably. Until then, FFXI will still be there for me~
 Titan.Eiryn
サーバ: Titan
user: Eiryn
By Titan.Eiryn 2010-09-14 18:48:06  
That song gives me chills every time I hear it too, I dunno why, maybe something about her voice or the way they present it... something tugs at my heartstrings, lol.
 Phoenix.Avelle
サーバ: Phoenix
user: nuvas
By Phoenix.Avelle 2010-09-14 20:54:51  
I want to believe. I want to believe sooooo *** bad. This video and the information posted below it gives me a lot of hope that there will be great changes for release or shortly thereafter. Where did this information come from? Who did the translation? For all my *** and complaints about SE, the one thing they do undeniably well is their CGI. My god that was beautiful...
 Phoenix.Avelle
By Phoenix.Avelle 2010-09-14 21:11:35  
By the way, who thinks it would have been a really awesome bonus to have included some guild leve replica thingies in the collector's edition? Maybe that would have been too expensive, but they sure look neat. :3
By Flionheart 2010-09-14 21:11:52  
Phoenix.Avelle said:
I want to believe. I want to believe sooooo *** bad. This video and the information posted below it gives me a lot of hope that there will be great changes for release or shortly thereafter. Where did this information come from? Who did the translation? For all my *** and complaints about SE, the one thing they do undeniably well is their CGI. My god that was beautiful...

Source

Core is legit, they've had multiple interviews with SE.
 Phoenix.Avelle
By Phoenix.Avelle 2010-09-14 21:27:30  
Flionheart said:
Phoenix.Avelle said:

Source

Core is legit, they've had multiple interviews with SE.

Thank you good sir.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-09-14 21:30:57  
For all the folks that keep whining about how SE only cares about JP players, I should point out that in the JP client so far, all the cut scene voice acting, graphics-based menus, etc are in English and subtitled. All CGI is lip-sync'd, etc, to English.

JP players get jack.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Anye
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2010-09-14 21:32:24  
That's sad ; ; Maybe they're going for the appeal of the English accents....? :P
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
user: AnnaMolly
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-09-14 21:35:16  
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
For all the folks that keep whining about how SE only cares about JP players, I should point out that in the JP client so far, all the cut scene voice acting, graphics-based menus, etc are in English and subtitled. All CGI is lip-sync'd, etc, to English. JP players get jack.

Think they are kissing *** or something? Maybe the final version will have JP lip sync, and etc.

EDIT: Something to add is that many JPs learn or know English, many more JP can communicate in English, than NA can in Japanese. It may be for simplicity and deadlines, and trying to appeal to NAs and EUs. Gonna be odd, REALLY odd a FF game not having a true JP version. >.>
 Phoenix.Avelle
By Phoenix.Avelle 2010-09-14 21:49:03  
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
For all the folks that keep whining about how SE only cares about JP players, I should point out that in the JP client so far, all the cut scene voice acting, graphics-based menus, etc are in English and subtitled. All CGI is lip-sync'd, etc, to English.

JP players get jack.

Any idea why that is? That seems really, really weird and completely backwards from what usually happens. (unless I'm mistaken)
 Quetzalcoatl.Shirasoma
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Shirasoma
By Quetzalcoatl.Shirasoma 2010-09-14 21:51:42  
Bayonetta was in English even in the JP version if I'm not mistaken, so it was a design choice. It's possible 14 could be the same.

Also they keep throwing the term "high fantasy setting" around a lot, and I see English fitting more in that aspect than JP does.
 Fenrir.Xeonerable
サーバ: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Xeonerable 2010-09-14 21:52:03  
I watched the new trailer... eh.. I thought the voices didn't fit the characters too well lol... especially the elvaan.

ninja'd me a new avatar picture though XD
 Phoenix.Avelle
By Phoenix.Avelle 2010-09-14 21:55:46  
Fenrir.Xeonerable said:
I watched the new trailer... eh.. I thought the voices didn't fit the characters too well lol... especially the elvaan.

That miqote was super adorable. Love the sarcasm from her haha. Also can my gladiator get a sword like the one the guy walked out with? Tired of using shitty short sword / gladius / dagger looking things.
 Valefor.Hahn
サーバ: Valefor
user: Hahn
By Valefor.Hahn 2010-09-14 21:57:19  
Phoenix.Avelle said:
Fenrir.Xeonerable said:

That miqote was super adorable. Love the sarcasm from her haha. Also can my gladiator get a sword like the one the guy walked out with? Tired of using shitty short sword / gladius / dagger looking things.
Not in open beta, at least. Hopefully when full game comes out we'll have some Great swords.
 Midgardsormr.Renala
サーバ: Midgardsormr
user: Renala
By Midgardsormr.Renala 2010-09-14 22:24:12  
ok.. I'm going to be quoting form previous pages since I'm late to join in here.

Flionheart said:
Holy mother of god:

Parley
Parley is a method other than battle in which players can obtain items. Players choose ‘topics’ and then play a game using painted tiles. If you defeat your NPC opponent, you earn the right to exchange the items you have for those you need. If you do especially well, you can obtain even greater rewards.

Triple Triad goooooo

Ironicly I've been watching videos of FFVIII or I would have forgotten what tripple triad was. I think that the parley maybe a wrongly translated thing intot he Negotiation thing. Don't hold me to that, but just my thoughts.
Flionheart said:
This:

In addition to what was announced here today, we are also planning massively multiplayer battles.
There currently exist several class abilities which may have players scratching their heads as to how they are to be used. Many of these were designed with PVP in mind. While we cannot reveal much regarding PvP now, we have some exciting announcements planned for the near future.

Also excites me

That part intrests me. I'm curious just what kinda pvp it'll be? Going to talk in WoW-tense for alittle so feel free to hate me, But its the only game I ever pvp'd any in.

I kinda hope they add some sort of duel-system, But the mp thing might become an issue with that. If they do add in some kinda battle-ground things, that will be intresting as well. I was never a fan of ballista in FFXI, since it just... was really crappy for me.

Titan.Eiryn said:
I like that they finally said they will have new haircuts, the FFXI+1 haircuts were nice, but I want something I havent seen yet!
Flionheart said:
I'm going to have to go through the whole character creation again... I'd just perfected the Character I was going to choose too

poo

I was hoping to have my character pre-picked out so I can quick boom-boom make Renala once I get it downloaded, But new hair are always welcome. I like unique :3

Diabolos.Chupacabra said:
Hmm... I never thought of it that way. Maybe the retail client is, in fact, much more polished than I gave it credit for... Time will tell.

I'm hoping for the best :)

Going to quote the middle or tail end of that one.

I've been saying that I really dought SE will launch a buggy game, of course there will be bugs, But they won't be super bad.(Or so I hope)

Alot of people were bitching how Open beta has so many things wrong, But I've said numerious times, Closed beta to open beta had no real fixes to note. I'm sure there were SOME but not everything. I REALLY thing that the launch version will be a much more polished game.

I don't want to continue, so these are my thoughts. Sorry for long quote/comment thing, But as I said, I just now viewed this so I kinda came in late ;x
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-09-14 22:32:23  
Phoenix.Avelle said:
Any idea why that is? That seems really, really weird and completely backwards from what usually happens. (unless I'm mistaken)
My theory is that they simply only had the budget for one, and they envision there potentially being more English-speaking than Japanese-speaking customers to satisfy this way. CGI and voice acting is very expensive.

Very few Japanese speak English to an actual functional level. Everyone has to take it in school, but most give it about as much thought, and remember about as much X years later, as the foreign language requirement that some Americans are forced to satisfy in high school.

However, and this is a sensitive subject so please bear with me, because I mean no ill will: most Japanese are a lot more comfortable hearing or seeing English, than most Americans are at hearing or seeing any foreign language. It's possible they just went for the single solution that offends the smallest amount of people and caters to the most.
[+]
 Titan.Eiryn
サーバ: Titan
user: Eiryn
By Titan.Eiryn 2010-09-14 22:48:01  
Phoenix.Avelle said:

The major cutscenes are high quality too and look beautiful! I hope they stick a lot of them in there. The world is gorgeous but the main thing I am disappointed in is the music. Some of the areas have decent music that I like, but cmon SE, its 2010. I know orchestrated is expensive, but cheap sounding(for this day and age) synthesized is getting on my nerves. 5 things draw me to a game; Beautiful graphics, a character that I can highly customize to make my own, a great storyline, good gameplay and GOOD MUSIC! I can deal with a lack in character, storyline and gameplay if the world is pretty and the music sucks you in! Other than that though, I think I am going to thoroughly enjoy 14!
 Ragnarok.Bador
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: bador
By Ragnarok.Bador 2010-09-14 22:48:09  
cool but it remain only CG wont fight like that or even feel fighting like that.

P.S will just get pwned by malboro and homepoint!
 Seraph.Rafik
サーバ: Seraph
user: dascorp
By Seraph.Rafik 2010-09-14 22:59:22  
I noticed that some Japanese anime started to use English phrases/words, such as Sengoku Basara Season 2 (Devil Kings). Mostly the character named One Eyed Dragon and his men.

"Are you ready guys?" "Put ya guns on!" "Let's Party!" "Hea we gow!" "Don worry guys!"

They have this accent, but I actually like it.

Is this becoming a trend in Japan?
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-09-14 23:16:50  
Sprinkling foreign words into an otherwise native language dialogue is seen as cool and international in a lot of countries around the world.

Japan's no exception, it's just that because everyone's forced to take at least some English, it tends to be the default choice. It also means they can do it a lot more often than they otherwise could. It adds a bit of flavor to an otherwise boring dialogue.

It does not mean that all Japanese necessarily find English or English-speakers inherently cool.

This was actually the case in the US for a long time too. French, Latin, etc were often borrowed from heavily to impart a certain... je ne sais quoi. It's only relatively recent cultural shifts that have started to reject it as pretentious or somehow un-American.