Fishing: I'm Doin It Wrong.

Eorzea Time

言語: JP EN FR DE
日本語版のFFXIVPRO利用したい場合は、上記の"JP"を設定して、又はjp.ffxivpro.comを直接に利用してもいいです
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Crafter's Crib » Fishing » Fishing: I'm doin it wrong.
Fishing: I'm doin it wrong.
 Carbuncle.Zanno
サーバ: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2009-05-06 01:26:37  
so. even finding the right fish wont guarantee you to get the ring?
 Garuda.Ijelle
サーバ: Garuda
user: Ijelle
By Garuda.Ijelle 2009-05-06 01:36:25  
You have to score between rank 1-20 to get the fish. Meaning you need to find one towards the most minimum or maximum end, depending on what they're looking for.

Lets say they want a Cave Cherax with the smallest weight:

Minimum: 569
Maximum: 1161

To be safe, you'd need one that weighs 589 or less.

If maximum weight, you'd need one thats 1141 and up.

If size:

Minimum: 122
Maximum: 231

You'd need 142 or less for smallest, or 211 and up for biggest.

It can be a combination of both numbers added together, as well.

According to Wiki:

The top twenty participants will be eligible for the following awards.
Rank 1: Title “Gold Hook,” Pelican Ring, and prize money (50k)
Rank 2: Title “Mythril Hook,” Pelican Ring, and prize money (25k)
Rank 3: Title “Silver Hook,” Pelican Ring, and prize money (10k)
Rank 4-10: Title “Copper Hook,” Pelican Ring, and prize money (1k)
Rank 11-20: Pelican Ring
 Carbuncle.Zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2009-05-06 01:46:09  
Damn you SE for beeing so unreasonable D:
 Garuda.Ijelle
By Garuda.Ijelle 2009-05-06 01:49:21  
I agree. That is also why I went to the AH and bought more than one fish. >.<

Here's hoping Wiki is right, and Final Fishing isn't. ._.
 Ramuh.Dasva
サーバ: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-05-06 01:49:53  
Zanno said:
Damn you SE for beeing so unreasonable D:

Indeed one time it was gigant squid I fished up about 200 of them used the biggest one still got like 30th place.
 Carbuncle.Zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2009-05-11 06:49:29  
So I'm finally able to reel in some fish that I can actually use in my cooking, yay!

Targeting Gugru Tuna on the Mhaura-Selbina ferry. Profit from tuna sushi isnt very good though, except for the occasional HQ1. But atleast it feels good to use your own fish when cooking lol. Currentl fishing is 27(+4) so the fish do put up a fight, but reeling them in is not really the problem, the biggest problem for me seems to be targeting them.

im using composite rod with sinking minnow, but seems to be targeting small fish alot more frequent than I'd wish to. I've tried regular minnow as well as shrimp lure, but so far the sinking minnow seems to be the best choice. Anyone know of anything else that would target the tuna more frequently? Preferring lure over bait for these since they're not stackable.
 Odin.Mantikor
サーバ: Odin
user: Mantikor
By Odin.Mantikor 2009-05-11 07:09:22  
ok, i gotta question too. i got lu shang's short time before and hoped to get some money now after that half year straight fishing.

ferry is quite disappointing so far, I seem to get only like 15 fish per trip, which is at most 10k. including the waiting time this does not sum up well for me. That much for the whine, now my question ^^

if/when i will go for level 100, how regularly does that lu shang break? i have good ls mates with the necessary WW skill and there is that quest. but if it breaks, like, every 3rd fish i should level WW myelf. I would prefer cooking to 100, because I have it at 60 already... So, can I do without WW or does it break that often?
 Garuda.Ijelle
By Garuda.Ijelle 2009-05-11 20:40:01  
Mantikor said:
ok, i gotta question too. i got lu shang's short time before and hoped to get some money now after that half year straight fishing.

ferry is quite disappointing so far, I seem to get only like 15 fish per trip, which is at most 10k. including the waiting time this does not sum up well for me. That much for the whine, now my question ^^

if/when i will go for level 100, how regularly does that lu shang break? i have good ls mates with the necessary WW skill and there is that quest. but if it breaks, like, every 3rd fish i should level WW myelf. I would prefer cooking to 100, because I have it at 60 already... So, can I do without WW or does it break that often?

First of all, there is a way to fix a Broken Lu Shang's without WW, but you may get sick of the trek. The Immortal Lu Shang is the quest, its in Rabao.

In my opinion, just do cooking. Your profit fish don't break Lu Shang (Black Sole, Gigant Squid, etc).

Fish that break Lu Shang (these are the ONLY fish that can break Lu Shang. Anything else will be Line Breaks):

Pirarucu
Abaia
Cave Cherax
Giant Chirai
Gugrusaurus - Breaks Lu Shang a LOT from what I'm told. Is also used to obtain Ebisu.
Lik - Breaks Lu Shang a LOT from what I'm told. Is also used to obtain Ebisu.
Mola Mola
Ryugu Titan
Sea Zombie
Titanic Sawfish

Something you'll notice about a lot of these fish, is that there is almost no point in catching them, unless needed for Fish Ranking or Inside the Belly (even then, not all are used in either one of those things).

And, damn. You get more fish that I do per ferry trip. I'm targeting Gugru's, and I don't get squat!

If you're not already, get the fishing rings, and get a darn Pelican Ring! You can get 55-100 Fishing in about two months with a Pelican Ring, if you're fishing enough, and the right things, etc. I suggest This Fishing Guide since you have a Lu Shang.
 Garuda.Ijelle
By Garuda.Ijelle 2009-05-11 20:42:22  
Zanno said:
So I'm finally able to reel in some fish that I can actually use in my cooking, yay!

Targeting Gugru Tuna on the Mhaura-Selbina ferry. Profit from tuna sushi isnt very good though, except for the occasional HQ1. But atleast it feels good to use your own fish when cooking lol. Currentl fishing is 27(+4) so the fish do put up a fight, but reeling them in is not really the problem, the biggest problem for me seems to be targeting them.

im using composite rod with sinking minnow, but seems to be targeting small fish alot more frequent than I'd wish to. I've tried regular minnow as well as shrimp lure, but so far the sinking minnow seems to be the best choice. Anyone know of anything else that would target the tuna more frequently? Preferring lure over bait for these since they're not stackable.

I"m using Halcyon(I need it to break, for skill ups on Alch) and Composite, along with a Minnow. Minnow gets a decent number of Gugru, as well as Cone Calamary (48 cap) and Bluetail (55 cap), and Noble Lady (~66 cap).

Personally I did Crystal Bass at the Crystalline Spring in Jugner Forest til 30, because I was having HUGE problems getting Gugru to bite, even with Fishing equip & Advanced support.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-05-11 20:48:28  
Ijelle said:
First of all, there is a way to fix a Broken Lu Shang's without WW, but you may get sick of the trek. The Immortal Lu Shang is the quest, its in Rabao.

In my opinion, just do cooking. Your profit fish don't break Lu Shang (Black Sole, Gigant Squid, etc).

Fish that break Lu Shang (these are the ONLY fish that can break Lu Shang. Anything else will be Line Breaks):

Pirarucu
Abaia
Cave Cherax
Giant Chirai
Gugrusaurus - Breaks Lu Shang a LOT from what I'm told. Is also used to obtain Ebisu.
Mola Mola
Ryugu Titan
Sea Zombie
Titanic Sawfish

Something you'll notice about a lot of these fish, is that there is almost no point in catching them, unless needed for Fish Ranking or Inside the Belly (even then, not all are used in either one of those things).

And, damn. You get more fish that I do per ferry trip. I'm targeting Gugru's, and I don't get squat!

If you're not already, get the fishing rings, and get a darn Pelican Ring! You can get 55-100 Fishing in about two months with a Pelican Ring, if you're fishing enough, and the right things, etc. I suggest This Fishing Guide since you have a Lu Shang.

Actually its cause your targeting gugus.. I do it too and i get lots of bites for loljellyfish thing. Only about 6 usually from gugrus most of which end up being break line/rod. Yeah with pelican ring getting 2-4 lvls a day is easy. Oh and theres more fish that break lu shangs since WoTG came out some of them are kinda obscure. The old 7 I think it was mostly had a point. 2 were for the bait to catch another 2 that were for ebisus. Also ryuga titan can get merc swd which used to sell quite nice. Also youll notice most those fish npc for a hell of a lot. And the jawfish is used to make that fishing furniture. Also yeah rabao gets annoying so I just made a rabao mule so easy plus since I got my 2nd lu shangs I dont have to warp out everytime I break on ferry trip.
 Garuda.Ijelle
By Garuda.Ijelle 2009-05-11 20:52:16  
Second Lu Shangs... @_@

I think its...Sea Zombie and Cave Cherax that you can get Drill Calamary & Dwarf Pugil from. And M.Sword is nice! :o

Those were the only fish I could find 70-100 that break Lu Shangs (or are at least known to, I guess), but I wouldn't be surprised if there are more. Rabao mule is an excellent idea though...
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-05-11 21:03:56  
Ijelle said:
Second Lu Shangs... @_@

I think its...Sea Zombie and Cave Cherax that you can get Drill Calamary & Dwarf Pugil from. And M.Sword is nice! :o

Those were the only fish I could find 70-100 that break Lu Shangs (or are at least known to, I guess), but I wouldn't be surprised if there are more. Rabao mule is an excellent idea though...

Yeah there newish(WOTG) obscure and hard to find much info on... mostly 90+ I think
 Leviathan.Symbol
サーバ: Leviathan
user:
By Leviathan.Symbol 2009-05-11 21:14:34
 Delete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

If you want a Lu' shang, dont waste your time fishing the carp tho you should fish those to cap your skill at 11.
I see you have a 75 WHM, I think telehoaring would beat 200carps in 2-4 hours
 Leviathan.Antonioklaus
サーバ: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Antonioklaus 2009-05-11 22:22:12  
Not a guide but a really good fishing forum: http://www.titanictus.com/
 Ramuh.Konoko
user: lnick
By Ramuh.Konoko 2009-05-11 22:33:49  
Ijelle said:

Pirarucu
Abaia
Cave Cherax
Giant Chirai
Mola Mola
Ryugu Titan
Sea Zombie
Titanic Sawfish

I've fished at least 2000 Cherax when I had Lu Shang and it never broke, so chances of that are very low. Tons of line breaks on them though.

By the way, were you joking when you said you were targetting Gugrusaurus? If you weren't then I think you should know that you -require- the Serpent Rumors key item to even have them bite, that could probably be why you aren't getting any.

Also, Ebisu does not really help catch rates on Gugrusaurus, the fact that it can't be broken means there is also more of a chance for line breaks and losses due to skill... so the catch rate is still pretty skunk.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-05-11 22:37:15  
Symbol said:
If you want a Lu' shang, dont waste your time fishing the carp tho you should fish those to cap your skill at 11.

No telebots on Leviathan?
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-05-11 23:56:51  
Symbol said:

Fact though my lvl20 mules with 0 fishing skill did just fine. But even at 100% bite rate which can happen at right moon use insect paste in knigh well its still slow and right now price is such the carp i worht more then the rod.
 Seraph.Xurion
サーバ: Seraph
user: Xurion
By Seraph.Xurion 2009-05-12 07:20:42  
Killarutaru said:
I fished moat carps in knightswell in ronfaure, with insect paste to lvl 11 on my fishing char, and im going to continue fishing them until i get lu shang's before i move on after 11.

I never understood this logic.

Continue skilling up on similarly valued fish with a lesser rod from 11 - 60~ selling all the fish and buy moat with the gil.

When you get your Lu you don't have to level all the way from 11 onward.
 Carbuncle.Zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2009-05-12 14:10:44  
Ijelle said:
Zanno said:

I"m using Halcyon(I need it to break, for skill ups on Alch) and Composite, along with a Minnow. Minnow gets a decent number of Gugru, as well as Cone Calamary (48 cap) and Bluetail (55 cap), and Noble Lady (~66 cap).

Personally I did Crystal Bass at the Crystalline Spring in Jugner Forest til 30, because I was having HUGE problems getting Gugru to bite, even with Fishing equip & Advanced support.

I've been releasing everything I know for sure isnt tuna. I dont wanna reel in fish that I know I wont get skillup on, and cone cone calamari is slightly higher cap than tuna, so i suspect they'd be a bit harder to reel in than the tuna. The bluetail I think is way over my skill :(
 Fairy.Filielle
サーバ: Fairy
user: Filielle
By Fairy.Filielle 2009-05-12 14:12:39  
Dasva said:
Symbol said:

Fact though my lvl20 mules with 0 fishing skill did just fine. But even at 100% bite rate which can happen at right moon use insect paste in knigh well its still slow and right now price is such the carp i worht more then the rod.

I got like 1.2k moat carp; Idonno why i'm still trying to fish it beside the usual skilling up.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-05-12 14:16:49  
Xurion said:
Killarutaru said:
I fished moat carps in knightswell in ronfaure, with insect paste to lvl 11 on my fishing char, and im going to continue fishing them until i get lu shang's before i move on after 11.

Continue skilling up on similarly valued fish with a lesser rod from 11 - 60~ selling all the fish and buy moat with the gil.

Cause the money your making from fishing at those lvls is not as good as carp and this will be faster. And using lu shangs makes things alot easier even at the lower lvls. And its easy you dont have to change dont have to deal wiht poeple raising carp prices which was happening when I did my last one (went from 3k to 4k a stack rather quick but lu shangs price actually went down /cry)
 Carbuncle.Zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2009-05-12 14:24:24  
Guy in This thread says he makes about a mil/week from fishing Nebimonites, I started to fish them around lv 18. Anyhow, making a mil/week on these seems to be alot faster way to get lu shangs than either fish 10k carps, or sell carps til you can afford it.
 Unicorn.Excesspain
サーバ: Unicorn
By Unicorn.Excesspain 2009-05-12 14:26:34  
You are fishing, therefore you must be doing something wrong.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-05-12 14:33:15  
Zanno said:
Guy in This thread says he makes about a mil/week from fishing Nebimonites, I started to fish them around lv 18. Anyhow, making a mil/week on these seems to be alot faster way to get lu shangs than either fish 10k carps, or sell carps til you can afford it.

nebs on my server are 9k a stack so thats barely 1 mil not including tax if you go to fatigue and they all sell. Only 17 stacks sold a day so I really doubt then market could take another 16k and not flop and twitch especially since about 30 stacks seem to be up at all time. Also bite rate in SSG is crap and boat will only let you fish for like maybe 45min every hour and even then bite rate aint great. While during right moon phase I can get 100% bite rate on my mules. Not to menion no tax... and of course there isnt always that much carp up for sale not for any decent price
 Seraph.Xurion
サーバ: Seraph
user: Xurion
By Seraph.Xurion 2009-05-13 16:30:17  
Dasva said:
Xurion said:
Killarutaru said:

Cause the money your making from fishing at those lvls is not as good as carp and this will be faster. And using lu shangs makes things alot easier even at the lower lvls. And its easy you dont have to change dont have to deal wiht poeple raising carp prices which was happening when I did my last one (went from 3k to 4k a stack rather quick but lu shangs price actually went down /cry)

Totally not true. I'm doing exactly what I mentioned above and making the exact same money, if not more, as moat carp.
 Carbuncle.Zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2009-05-13 16:56:12  
I wouldnt know, I'm not going for Lu shangs at this point. But if I decided that I want it, there's more efficient ways to get it I think. like if it takes 4 hours to fish up 200 carps, if you used those 4 hours to farm something decent instead, or do BCNM/KSNM/ISNM/ENM or w/e way you wanna make your gil, you'd have your Lu shangs faster than trading 10 k carps, and still be able to fish to increase your fishing skill.

At this point though, I've yet to decide if im gonna take fishing to 100 or not, and at this point I dont see the nessesarity of having Lu shangs.

my fishing is only 28 atm and getting it now would kinda be like buying a hagun just because you've just unlocked SAM, not even knowing if you gonna enjoy playing the job or not.
 Garuda.Ijelle
By Garuda.Ijelle 2009-05-13 16:59:31  
Zanno said:
Ijelle said:
Zanno said:

I've been releasing everything I know for sure isnt tuna. I dont wanna reel in fish that I know I wont get skillup on, and cone cone calamari is slightly higher cap than tuna, so i suspect they'd be a bit harder to reel in than the tuna. The bluetail I think is way over my skill :(

Cone Calamary are actually a lot easier than the tuna's to real in, especially since they have an item-like behavior.

Bluetail are about the same difficulty as Gugru's, and I seem to hook a lot more of those than Gugru's. @_@ I'm not sure if its my luck or what, but I have a terrible time getting Gugru Tuna to bite! D:

All the fish you hook with Halcyon/Composite at the moment should be LV41 cap thru LV60 cap though. Gugru Tuna - Noble Lady.

Edit: I'm working on Lu Shang's because I keep losing fish due to "too small" messages, and because I keep losing Halcyon Rods when I fix them! D:<
 Carbuncle.Zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2009-05-13 17:01:56  
When using minnow/sinking minnow with composite rod everything that only have 1 (!) is too small, atleast been that way when I've tried. And I've read somewhere that halcyon breaks on Gugru :(
 Garuda.Ijelle
By Garuda.Ijelle 2009-05-13 17:03:31  
Zanno said:
When using minnow/sinking minnow with composite rod everything that only have 1 (!) is too small, atleast been that way when I've tried. And I've read somewhere that halcyon breaks on Gugru :(

It does! Not often, but it does. Halcyon hooks a lot more fish, but I've broken it like 3 times on Gugru - third time I lost the rod when fixing it. :|
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-05-13 18:22:44  
Ijelle said:
Zanno said:

It does! Not often, but it does. Halcyon hooks a lot more fish, but I've broken it like 3 times on Gugru - third time I lost the rod when fixing it. :|

You wouldn't have lost it if you had lu shangs...